Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ready to buy my a-5! but where?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellomister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ready to buy my a-5! but where?
    Posted: 15 April 2007 at 9:42pm
hey there i've finally decided to buy my a5 after doing some extensive forum research 

but now i need to know what's a good site to order the a5, i saw the post about the canadian sites but i'm in maryland, USA. so i thought people might have some other opinions. 

i was just wondering if i should be weary about like updated revisions of the a5 ( it has been around for some time now). i'm just worried about getting an a-5 that's been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. . .

when i googled to buy the a-5, the first site that popped up was xtremez.com.

so any recommended sites are much appreciated

thanks in advance!!

netramakin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2007 at 10:42pm
Action Village is selling 'em for $199 right now and I get everything from then within 2-3 days (I'm in CT).  Plus, they have good customer service.  If you can get the same price on it (or even slightly more) at a local field, though, I'd support them instead.  They might even do repairs for free for you.

"I'm a riddle so strong, you can't break me."
kickinwing2010 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Strike 3 - Bestiality & Peer Pressured

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kickinwing2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2007 at 10:46pm
Ya, support your local shop for a couple of reasons one you may get some pretty decent benefits like discounts and repairs, and two you don't have to worry about being ripped off.
ekeboo View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
strike 1 5/1 Filter dodge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ekeboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2007 at 10:52pm
Buy it from a local shop. Supports the business. And brownie points if it breaks.

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2007 at 11:51pm

yeah local shop

plus many (at least the ones near here) give you field membership for a year if you buy a marker there.

Black_Shadow View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Penguin-abuser from <heck> ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black_Shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 11:46am
County Sports is excellent too.

But I agree, support your local shop.
98CP ACT
R/T
J&J Ceramic 14"
Egg II w Z-Board
GTA Inline X-Chamber
NCStar Red-Dot
Pen Spring Mod
Trigger Stops
Polished Internals
Dye Sticky Grip
20oz Co2 w On/Off

Next Up: Spimmy
Commander_Cool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 11:52am

I say go online and find the best deal, its called capitalism, if you can't compete you dont deserve to continue business, and the consumers get the best deal in the end (in addition the shops around here...Long Island....are rip offs).

If you want to go to a local shop due to the deals/ packages (reduced field fees, free labor on repairs, etc), then go for it, its their method of competing against the lower prices of online and big box retailers. However, for a simple, idiot proof gun such as a tippmann it seems unnecasary to pay extra money for free labor in the future.

The support your local shop, on the basis of they are local and need your measly business to stay open is a flawed argument/ reasoning. It is almost as bad as go to field paint only fields b/c fields make their money off of paint sales.

It might be true that fields make their moeny off of paint sales, but it is a flawed business model. Its like saying, I own a gym, but I make all of my money off of bottled water. Each element should be able to support itself.

Edited by Commander_Cool - 16 April 2007 at 12:02pm
2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom
netramakin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 4:43pm

Yes, please, no one support you local field by buying equipment for 5%-10% more so that eventually there will be no organized places to play paintball, just megastores.  Awesome plan.

"I'm a riddle so strong, you can't break me."
Hellomister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellomister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 5:02pm

well i work full time plus weekends so i don't have much time to go out to local shops or fields, except to actually play

i ended up buying like 700 dollars worth of stuff from action village.   

not done yet either. gotta get my barrel and stabilizer.

just a retort for commander cool though

a lot of big market names make a lot of money from add ons, not their main selling point. like gaming systems such as ps3 and xbox 360.  the profit is marginal on the systems, it's all about the addons and such. my 2 cents. heh

Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Commander_Cool Commander_Cool wrote:

The support your local shop, on the basis of they are local and need your measly business to stay open is a flawed argument/ reasoning.

Yes and no.  I certainly agree that we shouldn't unnecessarily support inefficient economic behavior - but a selfish consumer might still choose to buy at a local shop, for a variety of reasons.  Local tech support is valuable, for instance.  Goodwill at the local shop is also valuable.  Perhaps the local shop also owns the local field where you play, and by buying at the shop you are supporting your field.

And so forth.  Capitalism isn't all about the lowest price.

Quote It is almost as bad as go to field paint only fields b/c fields make their money off of paint sales.

It might be true that fields make their moeny off of paint sales, but it is a flawed business model. Its like saying, I own a gym, but I make all of my money off of bottled water. Each element should be able to support itself.

And just like that you completely undermined your pro-capitalism argument.  This part makes absolutely no sense.  Back to capitalism and econ 101 for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

Originally posted by Commander_Cool Commander_Cool wrote:

The support your local shop, on the basis of they are local and need your measly business to stay open is a flawed argument/ reasoning.

Yes and no.  I certainly agree that we shouldn't unnecessarily support inefficient economic behavior - but a selfish consumer might still choose to buy at a local shop, for a variety of reasons.  Local tech support is valuable, for instance.  Goodwill at the local shop is also valuable.  Perhaps the local shop also owns the local field where y you play, and by buying at the shop you are supporting your field.

Yea, thats why if you read my entire post you would see I said fields compete on service since they can't compete on price, but that you shouldn't buy at a local proshop on the basis of simply supporting local business.

And so forth.  Capitalism isn't all about the lowest price.

I never said that.

Quote It is almost as bad as go to field paint only fields b/c fields make their money off of paint sales.

And just like that you completely undermined your pro-capitalism argument.  This part makes absolutely no sense.  Back to capitalism and econ 101 for you.

What are you taking about? How does that undermine the pro-capitalism argument? I am refering to people who say you should go pay outrageous paint prices at your local field on the basis of thats how they stay in business. I said that if they can only manage to stay in business due to paint sales (since they do charge field fees, and sell various items), that their business model is flawed, simply put paint sales shouldn't be supporting the entire business. I think it is an inefficent and poorly run business if that is the case. The example I used to illustrate this is owning a gym and relying on bottled water to support the business, while this is extreme, i think it makes the point and is hardly in contradiction to my stance in capitalism.

Any other business that can take in 20-35 dollars for each person that comes in their doors doesnt need to rely on another aspect of the business in order to survive.

The main point I am trying to make is that you should make choices based upon what is best for you, the consumer. You shouldn't make you financial choices to help fund an inefficient and poorly run entity. It isn't a club house, a hang out, or a charity, its a business.

2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by netramakin netramakin wrote:

Yes, please, no one support you local field by buying equipment for 5%-10% more so that eventually there will be no organized places to play paintball, just megastores.  Awesome plan.

Wow, I love your childish logic. Lets start tearing it apart:

1) You don't play paintball at a store, you play it at a field (thats okay though,... I know what you meant, since I mentioned fields too, and local stores and fields are usually linked). I do ask how the selling of markers at a big box retailer means there won't be organizes games or fields? Businesses adapt, and fields do not necassarily have stores.

2) My point is not to tell people to avoid local shops. Its that they shouldn't fund a local business soley because they are a local business. Doing so for some higher ideal is simply dumb.

3) I dont know about you, but all the stores around here are definetly maked up more than 5%-10%.

Island Paintball Supply: Vforce Profiler - 85.00

AV - 65.00

Yea, thats a big goddamn difference thankyou very much. I would much rather have the 20 dollars in my pocket than get ripped off at that store.

4) Now lets go to why I suggested action village, over a local shop. Local shop would be more money and you might get free labor or some other perk. However, tippmann markers are so extremely simple, and idiot proof, that you are probably better off buying the marker online given the money you save. That doesn't mean that buying at a local shop is a bad choice, it just depends on the circumstances.

2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by Hellomister Hellomister wrote:

well i work full time plus weekends so i don't have much time to go out to local shops or fields, except to actually play

i ended up buying like 700 dollars worth of stuff from action village.   

not done yet either. gotta get my barrel and stabilizer.

just a retort for commander cool though

a lot of big market names make a lot of money from add ons, not their main selling point. like gaming systems such as ps3 and xbox 360.  the profit is marginal on the systems, it's all about the addons and such. my 2 cents. heh

That is true, and also in the case of video games, goes for the manufacturers as well. There is a parrellel in paintball, but most big box retailers sell very few upgrades instead selling cheap guns they can buy in bulk. Local shops however make alot of their money on gun upgrades and accesories, not on marker sales.

2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom
Rock Slide View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Well, my player card says I’m an <KRL> !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Slide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 1:05am
I second trying Countypaintball.
I bring annihilation

and cheap red wine!
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 11:08am

Originally posted by kickinwing2010 kickinwing2010 wrote:

Ya, support your local shop for a couple of reasons one you may get some pretty decent benefits like discounts and repairs, and two you don't have to worry about being ripped off.

Yep I agree except with the ripped off part. There are some shotty owners out there.

Good stores will match internet pricing. So gather a list of 3 places online prices and then walk into the store.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
markfromSC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markfromSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 11:14am
Does the Stock A-5 come in a box or plastic
--Red-- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote --Red-- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 12:20pm
what^^?? The packaging for a brand new a-5 is a box with foam in the inside.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 12:37pm
I know they generally come in boxes, but I thought Sports Authority sold them in plastic?
2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom
jjclown23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
No idea what’s inappropriate

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjclown23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 1:20pm
Ebay?  Im sure somebody is selling a nice modded out A-5 for cheap.
A-5
Response Trigger
DOP Blade Trigger
Polished Internals
X-Chamber
Custom Paint
14" J&J

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 1:33pm
Could buy them used on pnation....or get scammed on pbnation....you have a fairly good shot at either if you arent cautious.
2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic