Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ready to buy my a-5! but where?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 1:34pm

I am going to say,... I wouldn't base my purchasing decisions on the comments left on a manufacturer's forum.

www.pbreview.com

www.pbnation.com

I suggest looking into ICD guns, and WGP Autocockers.

2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom
netramakin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2007 at 11:29pm

Originally posted by Commander_Cool Commander_Cool wrote:

Wow, I love your childish logic. Lets start tearing it apart:

You're going to tear apart a sarcastic one-liner?  I think we're all learning who the childish one is. 

You don't play paintball at a store, you play it at a field

You're so much smarter than I.

I do ask how the selling of markers at a big box retailer means there won't be organizes games or fields?

It was a general statement in response to your general statement:

The support your local shop, on the basis of they are local and need your measly business to stay open is a flawed argument/ reasoning.

Obviously a 5% - 10% markup only, as I stated, wouldn't keep a shop in business.

fields do not necassarily have stores.

More brilliance

My point is not to tell people to avoid local shops. Its that they shouldn't fund a local business soley because they are a local business.

I never said that.

Doing so for some higher ideal is simply dumb.

Yeah, higher ideals are dumb.

I dont know about you, but all the stores around here are definetly maked up more than 5%-10%.

What I've bought from
Hogan's Alley: Tippmann A-5 - $199
                     Tiberius Arms TAG8 - $249.99
                     TAG8 magazine - $49.99

Action Village: Tippmann A-5 - $199 (0%)
                     Tiberius Arms TAG8 - $239.95 (5%)
SpecialOps:     TAG8 magazine - $45.95 (10%) [no mags on AV]

Island Paintball Supply: Vforce Profiler - 85.00

AV - 65.00

Yea, thats a big goddamn difference thankyou very much. I would much rather have the 20 dollars

minus shipping

Now lets go to why I suggested action village, over a local shop.

Note that I suggested Action Village, too.  I just said support your local shop if it's worth it.

Local shop would be more money and you might get free labor or some other perk. However, tippmann markers are so extremely simple, and idiot proof, that you are probably better off buying the marker online given the money you save. That doesn't mean that buying at a local shop is a bad choice, it just depends on the circumstances.

Obviously

"I'm a riddle so strong, you can't break me."
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 4:47pm

I am going to say,... I wouldn't base my purchasing decisions on the comments left on a manufacturer's forum.

www.pbreview.com

www.pbnation.com

You give the worst advice. Go away.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
Commander_Cool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Justice Justice wrote:

www.pbreview.com

www.pbnation.com

You give the worst advice. Go away.

How do you figure? Someone who says after doing my forum research, which can imply he read posts on this forum, supported by a specific manufacturer, and frequented by owners of markers made by said manufacturers, has biased information.

It thereby only makes sense to get opinions and information in possible markers from other locations, which might have a bias, but at the very least will present more options and a more varied opinion.

That is just logical, and I suggested to possible websites he could look into before spending $200.

As for my comments on markers, both WGP and ICD make nice markers, although ICD markers are rather under rated. I suggested he look into them because they are in the same price range, and will perform better than the A-5. They are however more complicated and require more maintenance than the A-5. However, anyone that is literate should be able to figure out how to use and maintain markers from those companies, although I concede they might not be the best choice for a new player, he should investigate all his options, b researching outside of the tippmann forum.

2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 10:35pm

What are you taking about? How does that undermine the pro-capitalism argument? I am refering to people who say you should go pay outrageous paint prices at your local field on the basis of thats how they stay in business. I said that if they can only manage to stay in business due to paint sales (since they do charge field fees, and sell various items), that their business model is flawed, simply put paint sales shouldn't be supporting the entire business. I think it is an inefficent and poorly run business if that is the case. The example I used to illustrate this is owning a gym and relying on bottled water to support the business, while this is extreme, i think it makes the point and is hardly in contradiction to my stance in capitalism.

Any other business that can take in 20-35 dollars for each person that comes in their doors doesnt need to rely on another aspect of the business in order to survive.

The main point I am trying to make is that you should make choices based upon what is best for you, the consumer. You shouldn't make you financial choices to help fund an inefficient and poorly run entity. It isn't a club house, a hang out, or a charity, its a business.

Different products have different margins.  The goal is to maximize overall profit, not profit on any particular range of products.

McDonalds basically gives their hamburgers away, but they make a killing on fries and soda.  Adobe gives away the Acrobat reader, to sell more copies of their fancier products.

In order to charge less for paint, a field would have to charge more for admission, or air, or chips/drinks, or whatever.  And while you might be willing to pay $50 to play BYOP, most people, apparently, would rather buy field paint.  Not to mention, of course, that fields have more carrying costs for paint inventory than stores, and that has to be accounted for somehow.

And your general statement that taking "20-30 dollars" off each customer should somehow automatically be enough to survive is just goofy.

If the business model were as flawed as you imply, then competition would have developed a better model by now, and that model would be winning.  Is a better model possible?  Probably, and maybe we shall see it soon.  But the FPO model isn't "flawed".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2007 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by netramakin netramakin wrote:

Yes, please, no one support you local field by buying equipment for 5%-10% more so that eventually there will be no organized places to play paintball, just megastores.  Awesome plan.

Um, you responded to my comment with a sarcastic post. Sarcasm aside, I commented on the points you made, that:

a) mark ups at local fields are so small it i negligable.

b) that if we stop buying from local shops, we wont have any places to play.

Both points I countered, although I might have started off rather condescending. I also did not realize you said action village earlier (although it does not change my opinion of you later comment).

a) mark up is more than you stated
b) there are times when buying locally is the better choice
c) fields and stores are seperate, yet interelated businesses, if one dies out, the other might survive. Either way both will evolve into a more practical business.

in addition, i was referencing the thought process behind the sarcastic and ill-concieved comment, not the post itself.

As for my $20 dollar difference... shipping is significantly less than $20, and for college students or younger players saving money is important.

Also most local shops can't meet internet pricing and won't try to. That is why they include perks like service or field memberships into their marker sales.

2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 12:19am

Um, you responded to my comment with a sarcastic post.

Yes, I did.  What's your point?

I commented on the points you made, that:

Yes, you did.  What's your point?

Not at my local store.

Um, which is exactly what I said.

c) fields and stores are seperate, yet interelated businesses, if one dies out, the other might survive.

So I should not support the field/store so that the one that "survives" will be more efficient.  Another interesting view of your master plan.  I think I'll keep supporting them so I can keep both around, thanks.

in addition, i was referencing the thought process behind the sarcastic and ill-concieved comment, not the post itself.

So now you know my thought process?  Wow, do you work for the Psychic Friends Network?  Could you get me Dionne Warwick's autograph?

As for my $20 dollar difference... shipping is significantly less than $20, and for college students or younger players saving money is important.

The wisdom keeps flowing.  I said minus shipping and just because your local shop sucks doesn't mean they all do.  I'm not stupid.  If I see my local shop overpricing, I won't buy.  Most people won't.  I never said buy at your local shop at all costs.

Also most local shops can't meet internet pricing and won't try to.

Mine comes pretty close (again, see my previous post).  And guess what?  If I need something right away, like on a game day, I'll have an option.

Tell you what?  Why don't we agree to disagree?  Don't support your local field.  I'll keep supporting mine in case you need some place to play when your local, inefficient field closes its doors.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 1:05am
Originally posted by netramakin netramakin wrote:

Um, you responded to my comment with a sarcastic post.

Yes, I did.  What's your point?

How about you take my whole quote and comment on it instead of isolated blurbs? Of course then you can't make yourself feel witty then by adding one liners to sentences taken out of context.

I commented on the points you made, that:

Yes, you did.  What's your point?

My point is your points were wrong, and I proved them as such.

Not at my local store.

Great, that doesn't mean every local store is like yours. Stop using it as the basis for your argument, and be realistic.

Um, which is exactly what I said.

Then why are you arguing with me and giving me sarcastic one liners? Besides its not what you said. You simply said buy from action village, and then attributed that concept to yourself retroactively.

c) fields and stores are seperate, yet interelated businesses, if one dies out, the other might survive.

So I should not support the field/store so that the one that "survives" will be more efficient.  Another interesting view of your master plan.  I think I'll keep supporting them so I can keep both around, thanks.

It has nothing to do with supporting one so it continues to exist. The point is if you go where you get the best exchange for your money, whether its for $$ or service, the other businesses will have to adapt. The worst case being a local store closing down, which would not affect fields. This contradicts your statements regarding lack of organized paintball establishments.

So now you know my thought process?  Wow, do you work for the Psychic Friends Network?  Could you get me Dionne Warwick's autograph?

No, but your thought process is pretty obvious. That if you don't support local businesses they will die, and then there will be no paintball related infastructure on a local level outside of low end gear sold at big box retailers.

The wisdom keeps flowing.  I said minus shipping and just because your local shop sucks doesn't mean they all do.  I'm not stupid.  If I see my local shop overpricing, I won't buy.  Most people won't.  I never said buy at your local shop at all costs.

Does my wording or your wording negate the message? It is 65 dollars PLUS the cost of shipping. Who the hell says it is 65 dollars minus shipping? If I am shipping something and I give the cost of an item I discuss the additional cost of shipping, there is no minus involved.

Regardless my point about costs in relation to student players is valid, so great job refuting that one hot shot.

Also most local shops can't meet internet pricing and won't try to.

Mine comes pretty close (again, see my previous post).  And guess what?  If I need something right away, like on a game day, I'll have an option.

Yea, thats why I said most. Since local shops are small businesses the prices vary tremendously across the board. Thats why I said do what is most beneficial to the customer, as to whether one should buy locally or over the internet. You even stated you agreed, so why are you debating this? I personally don't care about how your shop prices things, it is not relevant to the general discussion.

I only used a local shop around here to illustrate different costs, It has already been noted that some shops are priced low to match the internet retailers. I have an idea how about you make a valid point instead of rehashing old facts?

Tell you what?  Why don't we agree to disagree?  Don't support your local field.  I'll keep supporting mine in case you need some place to play when your local, inefficient field closes its doors.

I have 2 outdoor fields, 3 indoor fields, 5-6 shops, all within a 15 minute drive from my house. I don't go to the over priced places I used as examples unless there is an overiding reason (special discount days, etc). The costly field (not the store, which is related to a different field), has an almost cult like following. Its sort of sad and odd how some people can become so extremely loyal to a place that they won't play else where and are willing to fork over $100 a case of paint.

Regardless, lets agree to stop arguing over a trivial matter. In addition do you plan on going to the PBLI Big Game in Coram, NY?

2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Commander_Cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Clark Kent Clark Kent wrote:

What are you taking about? How does that undermine the pro-capitalism argument? I am refering to people who say you should go pay outrageous paint prices at your local field on the basis of thats how they stay in business. I said that if they can only manage to stay in business due to paint sales (since they do charge field fees, and sell various items), that their business model is flawed, simply put paint sales shouldn't be supporting the entire business. I think it is an inefficent and poorly run business if that is the case. The example I used to illustrate this is owning a gym and relying on bottled water to support the business, while this is extreme, i think it makes the point and is hardly in contradiction to my stance in capitalism.

Any other business that can take in 20-35 dollars for each person that comes in their doors doesnt need to rely on another aspect of the business in order to survive.

The main point I am trying to make is that you should make choices based upon what is best for you, the consumer. You shouldn't make you financial choices to help fund an inefficient and poorly run entity. It isn't a club house, a hang out, or a charity, its a business.

Different products have different margins.  The goal is to maximize overall profit, not profit on any particular range of products.

McDonalds basically gives their hamburgers away, but they make a killing on fries and soda.  Adobe gives away the Acrobat reader, to sell more copies of their fancier products.

In order to charge less for paint, a field would have to charge more for admission, or air, or chips/drinks, or whatever.  And while you might be willing to pay $50 to play BYOP, most people, apparently, would rather buy field paint.  Not to mention, of course, that fields have more carrying costs for paint inventory than stores, and that has to be accounted for somehow.

And your general statement that taking "20-30 dollars" off each customer should somehow automatically be enough to survive is just goofy.

If the business model were as flawed as you imply, then competition would have developed a better model by now, and that model would be winning.  Is a better model possible?  Probably, and maybe we shall see it soon.  But the FPO model isn't "flawed".

Okay now I understand what you were refering to, and I concur. Perhaps saying the business model is flawed was incorrect. I suppose it is better to say the inability of ownership to adapt the FPO model, set prices well, or create a new business model that would allow them to stay competitive or turn a profit that is the issue. The field paint maintains the facility and we make very little money off of paintball argument comes into play. Mainly I feel many of fields are run inefficiently.

Edited by Commander_Cool - 20 April 2007 at 1:31am
2005 Freestyle
Naughty Dawg Freestyle
Angel LCD
SP-8
Tippmann 98 Custom
Justice View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Sexual slurs 5/2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 4:18pm

When are you going to realize paintball shops and fields do not make alot of money selling gear and what not. It's all about the paint, ask any store and or field owner and they will tell you that.

Put it this way, IMO if you call yourself a paintballer you should be supporting your local stores unless they are complete jack bags.

Making money is the bottom line for any business and again as stated above they make money from selling paint.

-JUSTICE
Outkast Myspace
Clark Kent View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 4:22pm

Mainly I feel many of fields are run inefficiently.

I can certainly agree with that.  Many of the inefficiencies I see give me a headache.  But people that own/operate paintball fields tend not to be high-falutin' businessmen - they are just paintballers that seriously love their hobby.  If paintball catches on to where Wal-Mart starts operating fields behind their stores, you'll see some serious increases in efficiencies.

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 7:17pm

Best thread ever

Honestly, you take the best deal you can find. (a deal doesn't just have to mean cash)

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netramakin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 7:20pm

Blah blah blah

Ignore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic