Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

98c/a5/x7 internal sound supressing kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DevilHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 98c/a5/x7 internal sound supressing kit
    Posted: 13 August 2007 at 12:24am

i was thinking, since we all can agree, tippmanns are exactly like tanks. theyre indestructible, have lots of firepower, and are very LOUD. maybe tippmann can start making an internal mod with like hammer padding, polishing kits, and any other kind of stuff that might quiet it down instead of us having to home make it, which can result in the added materials to tear or fall off since its not made for that kind of use. i believe this could be very popular since tippmanns would make very nice sniper markers if they werent so loud. also maybe they couuld somehow make a flatline with bores in it to quiet down the gas release a little. anyone else think this would be nice?

Once you hear the shot, it's already too late... A5 Sniper
jesseat956 View Drop Down
Guested - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesseat956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 12:43am
hell yea itd be nice i would love a supressor for my tippmann, hey do u think this would work?
http://www.paintballtipps.com/silencer.htm

Edited by jesseat956 - 13 August 2007 at 12:44am
Nuclear View Drop Down
Guested 9/6 Racial Slur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nuclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 12:45am
Two bad there are no snipers in paintball, and doing this ourself isn't all that hard.
DevilHunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DevilHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 1:22am

Originally posted by jesseat956 jesseat956 wrote:

hell yea itd be nice i would love a supressor for my tippmann, hey do u think this would work?

it does work, but its VERY illegal (though i wish it wasnt, it can be punishable by up to a $250,000 fine and/or 10 years in jail)

nuke: im not saying its hard to do it ourself, im just saying i wouldnt trust it because the materials are not meant for being used like that. i wouldnt want bits of glue and felt/rubber in my gun if im not 100% sure it wont fall off during play

Edited by DevilHunter - 13 August 2007 at 1:26am
Once you hear the shot, it's already too late... A5 Sniper
jesseat956 View Drop Down
Guested - Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jesseat956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2007 at 3:07am
Originally posted by Nuclear Nuclear wrote:

Two bad there are no snipers in paintball, and doing this ourself isn't all that hard.

yea ur right there is no sniper in paintball but its always fun in woodsball all u have to do is be stealthy 1 shot 1 kill lol

Originally posted by DevilHunter DevilHunter wrote:

Originally posted by jesseat956 jesseat956 wrote:

it does work, but its VERY illegal (though i wish it wasnt, it can be punishable by up to a $250,000 fine and/or 10 years in jail)

nuke: im not saying its hard to do it ourself, im just saying i wouldnt trust it because the materials are not meant for being used like that. i wouldnt want bits of glue and felt/rubber in my gun if im not 100% sure it wont fall off during play

yea thats true it is illegal but only if made for real guns i looked it up
and it also says this at the bottom of the page from the link i gave u

"This device must only be used on paintball guns. If it is not used for paintball guns, it is a major crime."

and besides the suppressor goes over the barrel so if 4 some strange reason it falls u could just keep playing

Edited by jesseat956 - 13 August 2007 at 3:10am
gardy90 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Filter Dodge, 4/14

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 11:38am
yea the site says its legal for use on a paintball gun, BUT it IS illegal to have any silancer that could be used on a real firearm at least in IL where i live, correct me if im wrong but thats a federal law. "Theoretically, this means that if you can develop a silencer that will work ONLY for a paintball gun, you would be ok. Permanently attaching it to a paintball marker is not enough, though. For practical purposes almost all barrel silencers would be illegal. Modifications made inside the gun would be perfectly ok, though."

PLEASE READ, good points
http://www.corin.com/bill/paintball/silencer.html

Edited by gardy90 - 22 August 2007 at 11:40am
"FIRST THERE"

a-5
16" J&J ceramic
polished internals
X7 low profile hopper
costom painted 20 oz tank
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 12:03pm
What gardy90 said:  Despite the disclaimer, making any silencer is illegal, unless it is licensed/approved by the BATF.  I would recommend to jessi that he remove that link, but it seems he already got himself guested.

One thing to keep in mind with an internal silencer kit is that padding the hammer could interfere with the force with which it strikes the valve pin.  If so, the result would be low velocity.

There are many completely legal ways to make paintball markers quieter:
  • There are some very quiet barrels available commercially
    • The End Game series barrels
    • J&J Ceramics
    • Armson Stealth series (have to find them used though)
  • Also, longer barrels tend to be quieter than shorter barrels of the same brand because they allow extra expansion room for the propellant behind the paintball.  (Reduces the "pop" upon the ball leaving the barrel.)
  • The type of porting also affects how noisy the barrel is.  (For quieter barrels you want a lot of porting spread out along about the last half of the barrel. I have a post about new paintball markers in New Players which goes more in depth on this.)
  • Installing a heavier duty buffer O-ring around the drive spring and guide pin will reduce operating noise somewhat without interfering with marker operation.
  • Another possibility is replacing the drive spring with a weaker spring from an after-market kit. 
    • The stock Tippmann velocity adjuster only controls the speed of the gas release, it does not control the amount.
    • If a marker is using more gas than needed for each shot, the extra gas exits after the ball leaves the barrel.  This is both inefficient and adds to firing report.
  • Instead of a spring replacement, the same effect can be gained by adding a rear velocity adjuster.
  • Finally, on 98s, a Rocket Cock will quiet down the noise from the marker's internals.
Edited for further info:  I believe there are several posts on the forum that can be found by searching which cover the illegality of silencers quite well.

Edited by Mack - 22 August 2007 at 12:04pm
Pezzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pezzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 1:04pm

To own a suppressor:

1. You must be 21 years of age or older and legally able to qualify for the purchase of a regular handgun (meaning no felonies, violent misdemeanors, dishonorable discharges, etc.)

2. N/A

3. Get two 2"x2" passport photographs taken. Attach one to the reverse side of each of the two copies of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF) Form 4. These photos typically cost $5 to $10.

4. Complete a small section on the reverse side of the BATF Form 4 that declares why you wish to possess the item.

5. Take the two copies of the Form 4, with pictures attached and your section completed to your local law enforcement agency (city police or county sheriff). Also take the two FBI Form FD-258 fingerprint cards we will give you. Ask the agency to officially take your fingerprints. This will usually cost $10 to $15. Also ask to have the chief of the agency complete his/her section of the reverse side of the Form 4. This merely attests that you are not wanted locally and that the official knows of no law which will be broken if you are approved by the government.

6. Put the two copies of the completed Form 4's, the two completed fingerprint cards and the money order of $200 in an envelope and immediately send it to the BATF office in Chicago, IL.

7. The BATF will first remove the money order and examine the paperwork for completeness. Assuming the paperwork is complete , it will be assigned to an agent, who will have a nationwide FBI background check performed on you. Once you pass this (all legal folks over 21 pass it), the BATF will mail you back a certified copy of one of the Form 4's you sent them. On this copy will be a stamp that looks like a postage stamp. This is a Federal tax stamp indicating the transfer tax is paid.

8. When you receive this Form 4 back with a stamp on it (about 90 days after you mail it in), complete a BATF Form 4473. You should immediately make several copies of the Form 4 and carry one with you at all times you have the product. Be sure to put the original in a safe place.

Once you have legal possession of the Class 3/Title 2 item you may not take the item across state lines unless you notify the BATF in writing before doing so. We have these forms available for a small fee. You are not asking for their approval but, instead, merely letting them know you are taking a Class 3/Title 2 item across state line(s) and when you will depart and return.

You may not loan this Class 3/Title 2 item to anyone! You may not store this item at a friend's home who has access to it. This is a restricted distribution item. To possess it requires (at the very least) an extensive background check. You are obligated by law (and common sense) to prevent unqualified people from gaining access to it. You may let others use the item if they remain in your physical presence.

Edited by Pezzer - 22 August 2007 at 1:04pm
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:25pm
^^^ Outstanding info. 

Edited by Mack - 22 August 2007 at 2:35pm
gardy90 View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Filter Dodge, 4/14

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardy90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2007 at 5:12pm
but im not one thats gunna worry about silancing my gun, lol the only real reason you would want to do that is if you were gunna shoot up someones house, but i know no one here would do that lol but i would almost rather have my gun loud
"FIRST THERE"

a-5
16" J&J ceramic
polished internals
X7 low profile hopper
costom painted 20 oz tank
Ace_Of_Spades View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested, Doesnt follow Rules. 9/10/08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace_Of_Spades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2007 at 1:35am
any of u ever gone to d-day oklahoma? that would be an EXCELLENT place for a silent tippmann
an94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote an94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 2:24am
Originally posted by Pezzer Pezzer wrote:

To own a suppressor:

stamp on it (about 90 days after you mail it in), complete a BATF Form 4473. You should immediately make several copies of the Form 4 and carry one with you at all times you have the product. Be sure to put the original in a safe place.

since 9/11 it seems like most people have to wait 6 months to get the Form 4.
And the BATF is now the BATFE or ATFE for short (Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, & Explosives) they are now part of the Justice Department.

1 paintball gun package=$150
1 case of paint=$50
air & entry fee=$15
lighting up newbies all day long= Priceless
scrumsguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrumsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2007 at 6:49pm
I like to keep my gun lod so that It can scare noobs because noobs only come to my feild
Help support the Youth In Asia!

Member Of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

strykerx15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykerx15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2007 at 1:45pm
just wrap a old tshirt around your porting . i found this to be really helpfull in quieting my marker down . also a rocket cock makes the ching from the bolt quieter . 
im not a sniper . im a
HIDDEN RIFLE MEN
RedDragon1313 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDragon1313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2007 at 8:56pm

sniper n. A skilled shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.

ALSO

sniper n : a marksman who shoots at people from a concealed place

Hate to break you bubble but there ARE paintball snipers.

Not the extreme long range snipers like you see in the movies, but any player that can conceal thenselves well enough to pick off an enemy without being spotted IS a sniper.  In fact the definition says NOTHING about being able to shoot further than other people, just being able to pick off your opponents from a concealed position. (hopefully without giving away YOUR position with the cannon loud sound of a flatline)

With a good silent barrel, like a well ported 21" and all the upgrades and mods you can use to quite your marker you can snipe quite well.

Now if a flatline did not soud so much like a CANNON it would be MUCH more use to a player wishing to fire from a concealed position without giving away their EXACT location as they pick off the back man of a group that has just passed their hidden location.  Um, yeah, that guy would be the sniper.  Shooting from a concealed position, picking off enemy team members.

Edited by RedDragon1313 - 23 September 2007 at 9:13pm
Never fear things that go bump in the night.

If it means you harm it will stalk you silently.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2007 at 12:38am
Wow, RedDragon1313; you have 3 posts and the two I've found are pretty much identical arguments based on the dictionary sniper definition.  Putting that aside, since I don't feel like flaming you*, I'm curious as to what your thinking behind the recommendation of ". . . w well ported 21 . . ." barrel is.  Specifically, what advantages does it provide?

*Someone else will handle that, never fear.
RedDragon1313 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDragon1313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2007 at 10:10pm

They are QUIET, QUIET, QUIET!!!!  That is the benifit.  Not MUCH else, but IMPORTANT, if you want the quietest shot possible.  They are also helpfull, with thier longer length, in being able to stick the barrel out through thicker brush.  The thicker the brush you are hideing in the better concealed you will be.

(SORRY about the matching post, I made this one first and I HAD to use part of it to defend my sniper fellow getting bashed over there.  SOME people can't seperate that "movie LONG range sniper" from the reality of what being a SNIPER means.  SNIPER does NOT = LONG range, only shooting from a concealed place)

The same reason I do not wear combat boots.  They make more noise!

The longer barrels, ported properly reduce noise a LOT!!!  Try a few and see for yourself. 

I have a GREAT 14" progressive barrel.  It is just as acurate as my 21" but it is about twice as loud.  I also have a 8 1/2" stock barrel and IT was twice as loud as the 14".  I have HAD a flatline and it was just as loud as the stock shortie. (they BOTH sound like cannons) I SO wish there was a way to display this online.  I can honestly say that I have PROVEN this to EVERYONE that I meet in person.  I ALWAYS carry my 14" progressive just to demonstrate.  People are simply AMAZED at how SILENT the 21" makes the shot.  I was even accused of not having co2 in the tank once.  I had to actually SHOOT the guy in the chest to make him believe it was not a trick. (I made him put his mask on first of course)  He never heard it comming from about 50 feet away.

At anything over 30 feet my 98C is so silent that if I were to shoot a ball beside your head you would hear the whizing of the ball through the air LOUDER than the sound of my marker.

I have done everything I can to reduce mechanical noise produced by the internals of my 98 (almost, I still need to go low pressure, I hear tales that it is even QUIETER) and the 21" barrel almost completely disaspates the muzzel sounds.  My 98 no longer makes the classic paintball marker "pop", you only hear a "puff" sound and the whizzing of the ball.  When you finally hear MY shot, what you will be hearing is the splat of it breaking on your chest and then it is simply too late to do ANYTHING but take the walk.

As a sniper I want to get my shot off as acurate as possible and still remain CONCEALED, even if I am only 50-75 feet from 2 or 3 enemy players.  The quieter my marker, the better my chances of making more hits before I have to relocate.

As a sniper, once you are LOCATED, the jig is up, you are no longer CONCEALED and you are no longer a sniper.  You MUST get the heck out of there, get LOST and reposition yourself in a NEW location where you can conceal yourself.  You move quitely, you shoot quietly and as acuratly as possible with EVERY shot (a "wild" shot RUINS your day, one of the reasons I would not use a flatline.  More "wild" shots on average no matter what you do).

Now if being quiet is not important to you, go shorter, 14" is FINE. Get one that matches the paint you prefer (THIS is even more important that length) so you will be as acurate as possible, but leave the "gimick" barrels alone.  They are just not as CONSISTANT as a good straight barrel.

Never fear things that go bump in the night.

If it means you harm it will stalk you silently.
SEAL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 7:55am
I cant understand how someone can make silencer when most of the barrels for paintball are ported?!  Silencer must be installed on all length of barell to do somethik
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 1:11pm

As I said in regards to your other sniper argument.

Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

ALL paintballers "shoot from a concealed location." Even speedballers. What do you think we do? Stand out in the open, hoping to "Matrix" anything that comes our way? Dictionary null and void.

Try again.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by RedDragon1313 RedDragon1313 wrote:

They are QUIET, QUIET, QUIET!!!!  That is the benifit.

Agreed, longer barrels are generally quieter than shorter barrels of the same type.  (We were going to have issues if you tried to claim longer barrel equated to more accuracy or additional range.)

. . . They are also helpfull, with thier longer length, in being able to stick the barrel out through thicker brush.  The thicker the brush you are hideing in the better concealed you will be. . . .

Very true; I knew a young man who used to use his 18" barrel this way quite often.  Shooting at him was a truly frustrating experience.  (Well it was for those of us holding his attention while someone else came in behind him.)

. . . The same reason I do not wear combat boots.  They make more noise. . . .

Incorrect; combat boots do not make noise.  I have a couple of sets in my closet and I never hear a peep out of them.  The person wearing them makes noise if he doesn't know how to move properly in the terrain he is traversing.  (A real sniper would probably know this.)

. . . Get one that matches the paint you prefer . . . so you will be as acurate as possible . . .

Good advice, paint to barrel match is a significant factor in accuracy.

. . . but leave the "gimick" barrels alone.  They are just not as CONSISTANT as a good straight barrel.

The gimmick barrels can be just as accurate, but it usually involves more work and, occasionally, additional expenditures.  However, my personal opinion is as follows:  I don't like the Apex and, while I like the Flatline, I prefer to use it for suppressive purposes.  If I'm planning on a quiet elimination with the firing of minimal round, I use my 12" J & J or the 14" End Game.

I can't believe this turned into another sniper debate, but since it did, I will throw out something for everyone's consideration.

The "someone who shoots from a concealed location" definition comes up every time this debate does.  The problem with this, as De Trevni wisely pointed out above, is that it is too broad.  Using this definition, I see no way to differentiate the uber-leet paintball sniper that ignored unimportant targets to spend half a game crawling into the perfect sniper position from which he can alter the momentum/direction of the entire game with a single shot if only the right target happens by from the first-day noob who hid in the same bush the game before because he is afraid of getting hit and only wants to shoot at targets that pose no risk of return fire.  It also does not explain the difference between forum member usafpilot07* when he makes it into the snake unseen and someone hiding in the flag bunker as a last ditch defender.

Something has to be done to narrow the parameters of this definition so that it has actual meaning.  As it stands now, it is pretty much interchangeable with the term paintballer. 

The most common mental image that comes to mind when the word "sniper" is spoken, is the military sniper.  This raises the ire of the anti-sniper community because they feel, correctly, that there is probably no one on the paintball field that has the true skills and capabilities of a military sniper.  The pro-sniper crowd would argue that this definition does not apply.  This normally ends up as a debate as to whether or not there is a range advantage requirement for snipers.  If a paintball player is trying to emulate a military sniper (ghillie, etc.) then this range requirement should be applied as well.  If the paintball sniper is not trying to emulate a military sniper, but is some other type of sniper, then it should not.

This raises the question of what other type of sniper's are there?  Law enforcement (LE) snipers come to mind next.  While they are generally better armed than standard street patrols; when compared to the SWAT teams they work with the armament is occasionally identical with the exception of better optics.  This makes for equipment requirements that more closely parallel the equipment conditions in paintball.  Where this theory fails however falls into usage.  The paintball environment just does not fit the LE sniper usage parameter.  PB snipers do not generally support building entry and hostage rescue scenarios.  Actually, while there may be some big game scenarios that provide for sniper actions similar to LE sniper activities, these are few and far between.  The vast majority of PB sniper activities regard waiting in ambush or, according to Spec Ops, providing mobile flank cover.  This differs greatly from LE operations.  You will probably never see a desk sergeant tell a SWAT sniper "Get up on the hotel roof and cover the bank in case there's a robbery."

There is only one usage of the word sniper that provides a close match to what normally happens in paintball play.  Consider the insurgent snipers that ambush the troops on a daily basis overseas.  They usually attack without warning from a concealed position.  They normally have no range advantage as they are equipped with standard assault rifles.  When they open up, they are considered "snipers,"  or at least, that is the warning cry that is raised.  They perfectly parallel the actions of paintball snipers.  No training is required (unless there is a course for firing a weapon wildly over a car while holding it above your head-terrorist 101 maybe), there is no range advantage, they attack without warning from concealment.  It all fits perfectly.

Wow, I think I've just defined paintball snipers.  Anybody who wants can be one now.

*Except we all know that usaf is much cooler of course.

Edited by Mack - 28 September 2007 at 5:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic