Poll Question: which of these is best, and why
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
16 [88.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_p_b_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what is the best high end
    Posted: 19 November 2007 at 10:35pm
im looking into getting a high end, and i am wondering what is the best high end.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2007 at 10:40pm
Its honestly personal preference. They all shoot about the same. I like my Ego, so I would recommend that.
MeanMan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeanMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 5:48pm
Personal preference, go shoot.  The DM8 is too new to get a absolute thorough review.

hybrid-sniper~"To be honest, if I see a player still using an Impulse I'm going to question their motives."
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 5:57pm
Cyborg or Droid are going to continue to be at the top of the list.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
iOWNyOU22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iOWNyOU22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 6:45pm
angel 1. a work of art.
Check out my website, tell me what you think: http://www.freewebs.com/christiansprojects
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by iOWNyOU22 iOWNyOU22 wrote:

angel 1. a work of art.
If by "art" you mean the overpriced crap they sell you at IKEA, then yeah, you've got it there. The '1' is still just a simplistic knock-open-poppet that is controlled by a pneumatic ram. Old Hat technology that just keeps getting a face lift so they can continue to charge $1000+ for it. At least Egos are small and light using the same tech. WDP (now angel sports) can't even build a decent reg to save their lives. Remember that "angel air" digital reg crap back in '01? Those things never worked right and always vented through the safety valve right in the middle of games. The last good angel was the LED.
hybrid-sniper View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 8:21pm

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by iOWNyOU22 iOWNyOU22 wrote:

angel 1. a work of art.
If by "art" you mean the overpriced crap they sell you at IKEA, then yeah, you've got it there. The '1' is still just a simplistic knock-open-poppet that is controlled by a pneumatic ram. Old Hat technology that just keeps getting a face lift so they can continue to charge $1000+ for it. At least Egos are small and light using the same tech. WDP (now angel sports) can't even build a decent reg to save their lives. Remember that "angel air" digital reg crap back in '01? Those things never worked right and always vented through the safety valve right in the middle of games. The last good angel was the LED.

"Old hat" technology? Kinda like internal combustion engines and the bicycle? It works, and it works well. Why should a company or an industry be required to come out with a new way to get a ball out of the barrel every generation? That's just stupid, and you know it. Also, guess how the Cyborg works... Just take a guess.

Let's compare weights here with barrel, battery, reg, ASA etc.

A1 - 38.8 oz
DM8 - 37.8 oz (no macroline)
DM7 - 39.4 oz
DM6 - 41.4 oz
Ego 8 - 32.0 oz
Ego 7 - 33.6 oz
Ego 6 - 41.6 oz

Yes, clearly the A1 is a brick, especially considering it was released over a year ago.

Their regs are fine. The LPRs are flawless, and while the HPR's don't necessarily take to HP all that well I have a feeling that they are not building it like that by accident.

What the AIR has to do with anything I don't know. IT should be noted that the AIR design was not "old hat" technology, and you have clearly pointed out where that got us. But you must realize, the current screw-in belleville spring stack regs are crappy because they're "old hat"! Give me a break, tallen.

Their last good gun was the LED? Uh, ok. Did you set a cake on fire today or something? 

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 8:45pm

Angel G7 Fly is the most beautiful popular production paintball gun IMO. When I say popular production, I'm excluding PL markers.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 11:43pm
I've had nothing but problem after problem with every post-LCD angel I've dealt with and I never liked the LCD as much as the LED. Angels have never shot well for me, and the trouble they give you when they go to pot is just not worth it. They've never been user friendly and in my experience, are about as reliable as a British made auto. But each is entitled to their own opinion. As far as the internal combustion engine being old-hat. Why don't you take a look at the past 100 years of innovation, heck, even the past 20 years of innovation, and tell me that it's old-hat, same with bicycles. I'm pretty sure that the 2.5L Boxer in my subie or the 3.0L V6 in my Mazda are a far cry from what you would find 20 years ago. Heck, some cars were still being manufactured with carburetors not much before then! And I guarantee you that my Specialized Rock Hopper is a far cry from ANY mountain bike of the same time frame. Angels have been around 10 years with very little innovation. And while "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" is the tried and true motto of the status quo, I can hardly see the justification of charging such large amounts of money for something so nominal.

My example of the Ego is simply to point out that if you're going to use old-tech, at least do something to make it better than what else is on the market.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 12:11am

The basic principle of the internal combustion engine is the same as it has always been, as has the ram driven poppet design. Yes, either principle can be "tweaked" or "enhanced" but the overriding idea is the same.

As for the perceived reliability of the Angel platform, I am going to take issue with that. I don't know what models you have used, but either you got lemons or you suck at keeping things running (which I hate to even mention, because I know you're competent.) Angels are, as you say, ram driven poppets just like the Ego and Cyborg, among others. How you can recommend the Borg and diss the Angel in the same breath is beyond me, because they both operate the same way. The only real difference is that the solenoid in the Cyborg and Ego is fed via plastic tube airlines from the LPR, whereas the Angel uses and always has used airlines milled and drilled into the body. The ram is directly fed via the noid, and the noid is directly fed via a lengthwise air passge from the LPR (except for the A1, whose LPR vents directly to the noid which vents directly to the ram.) If anything, the Cyborg/Ego/Timmy designs are LESS reliable because those lines can and do blow out or act stupid for no reason.

I have had my Fly for three years. The problems that I've had with it, while few, were user error (ram adjusted wrong) and I can't even fathom how you could screw these things up. Granted, the A1 is not the finest Angel that has ever been produced. Yet again, we come back to your whole stance on how things should be "new hat" as it were, because the A1 is markedly different from the G7 generation that preceded it. As said earlier, the A1's LPR feeds the noid directly, so the overall layout of the gun is different now. The valve system is completely different, as are the detents and board. At launch, there were a myriad of issues (which is to be expected when the design has changed os dramatically) but now they are pretty solid guns. I would rather shoot a G7/Fly/Gat/Speed, but for the love of christ you need to give these guns some credit. There's a new magnetic valve ocming out for the A1 here pretty soon, and it is already delivering Cyborg level efficiency for the people testing them.

We'll see.

Edited by hybrid-sniper - 21 November 2007 at 12:21am
thejudge View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 2:00am
you are all talking too rich for my blood.  I am down with my A5 as my highest end gun lol. 
Stay low, run fast, and hope that paintball doesn't hit your...
p_p_b_h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_p_b_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 6:59am
personally i didnt list an angel because ive seen many at my feild use them, generally they get eaten or break down. im still leaning toward on ego 08 or an sl74, ive never used or seen a droid in action, but ill look into it.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 9:11am
I think the Angel series is one of those things that you either love or hate. I think my distaste for the series started with the Dark Angels, and yes, while they aren't a stock offering from WDP themselves, it was enough to turn me off. I also had horrible issues in tournaments when using them as a sponsored marker. I often would play a game or two with the LCD I was given, get ticked at it, and put it back in the gear bag in favor of the first Gen 'timmy that was our back-up. I've just personally never had a good experience with one. Mac Dev Cyborgs, on the other hand, I've abused the living crap out of on the field and not had an issue. One of the Pev's techs let me field-test his '05 for a few weeks. I didn't have any issues with it. You could throw it in the gear bag and then haul it out a week later and not worry about anything. The Fly, I will give props to. They were a nice marker, but I still just don't see paying all that money for an Angel when I can go grab a DM/PM off the wall at Pev's for hundreds less.

Like I said, I never had anything but trouble with the older post-LED Angels and that's left a sour taste in my mouth. But let's face it, when you get into the upper end, it's all subjective anyway.
super_gman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote super_gman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 11:00am

Originally posted by thejudge thejudge wrote:

you are all talking too rich for my blood.  I am down with my A5 as my highest end gun lol. 

I know what you're saying. Everybody around here has upgraded to high-end guns and I'm still using the same A-5 I've had since 2004. I figure the ability to shoot 16 bps rather than 13 (I am one of the slowest trigger walkers I know) and reduced weight and length isn't really worth dropping $300 or more on.

Zerglet.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 12:30pm

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I think the Angel series is one of those things that you either love or hate. I think my distaste for the series started with the Dark Angels, and yes, while they aren't a stock offering from WDP themselves, it was enough to turn me off. I also had horrible issues in tournaments when using them as a sponsored marker. I often would play a game or two with the LCD I was given, get ticked at it, and put it back in the gear bag in favor of the first Gen 'timmy that was our back-up. I've just personally never had a good experience with one. Mac Dev Cyborgs, on the other hand, I've abused the living crap out of on the field and not had an issue. One of the Pev's techs let me field-test his '05 for a few weeks. I didn't have any issues with it. You could throw it in the gear bag and then haul it out a week later and not worry about anything. The Fly, I will give props to. They were a nice marker, but I still just don't see paying all that money for an Angel when I can go grab a DM/PM off the wall at Pev's for hundreds less.

Like I said, I never had anything but trouble with the older post-LED Angels and that's left a sour taste in my mouth. But let's face it, when you get into the upper end, it's all subjective anyway.

Fair enough.

p_p_b_h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_p_b_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 3:19pm

its just the rep that noobs flock to angels and what ive heard about reliability.  its between the ego 08 and new cyborg.  ive owned 6 a5's and still have 1, there great, but just lack in a bit, plus im looking more towards light, tight, accurate and fast. so no one likes the shockers? thought more people would have been defending them, most popular high end at the feilds i go to.

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 11:54am

Most of us here hate SP with a passion = no shockers.

I'd go for the 'Borg, considering you don't see many people with one.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 2:49pm

Originally posted by p_p_b_h p_p_b_h wrote:

personally i didnt list an angel because ive seen many at my feild use them, generally they get eaten or break down. im still leaning toward on ego 08 or an sl74, ive never used or seen a droid in action, but ill look into it.

I didn't see this well thought-out gem of a post until now. I'm getting a little slow to the punch, so if you felt like you had gotten away with your idiocy then I'm sorry to let you down.

p_p_b_h View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p_p_b_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 3:27pm
hmmm.... not written out the best but doesnt really matter. so why am i an idiot for posting that?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

I feel violated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hybrid-sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 3:38pm

You're just like every other ill-informed Angel hater out there.

At least tallen took the initiative to write out more than "weel i r scene meh nee borked ones at teh feelds, so they cleerly sux!!!" And what a big surprise, you bearhug Egos in the same breath.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic