Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Marker Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M-98 Build Off!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M-98 Build Off!
    Posted: 25 November 2007 at 11:13am
M-98 Build Off!

That's right. It's winter time so people are dumping their old beaters over on PBN, MCB, and every other BST forum there is right now. I think it's about time we did a build off again!

What's a build-off you ask? Well, it's where we agree upon a marker series that can be had for fairly cheap. Set a price-cap (you can't spend over X-dollars on the build process) and at the end of one or two months, we see what everyone has produced and open judging begins to declare a winner!

Rules:

• The marker must be a Tippmann Model-98 series or Clone (BT 4 series is allowed, PCS is not, for example)
  • The total cost of the marker project must not exceed $150 USD.
  • You have until the first of January to find a suitable marker to modify/build
  • No modification is to take place before January 1st, 2008.
  • Purchasing of parts before January 1, 2008 is allowed.
  • All entries must be posted by the 28th of February, 2008 giving the entrants 2 months from the build-start date to complete their project.
  • Total cost does not include the cost of any tools purchased to complete the project. Professional milling/painting/powdercoating costs DO apply to the price cap however.
  • Judges will be selected on the 1st of February from a voluntary pool similar to the TOTM judging system.
  • There will be a panel of 15 judges and the entrants will post their finished markers in the "M-98 Build-Off" thread in the Gallery
  • Pictures of works in progress may be posted in the gallery section
  • Outside help is allowed and encouraged!
  • Trades are allowed and don't count towards the price cap
  • Already possessed materials are also allowed and don't count toward the price-cap.
  • We won't be keeping a running tab for each marker, that is up to you to do. Be fair, be a good sportsman, and be honest. You don't want to be screwed over by unfair competition, so follow the golden rule.
  • IF the judges find something to be out of the ordinary we will confer together on the subject and the majority decision of the judges will be the final word.
  • There will be two categories of entries: Mil-Sim/Scenario and Speedball/Recball. Please remember to inform us of what category you are entering when you post your final work. Entries without a declaration of category will be disqualified from the competition.
  • Entries will be judged on at least the following criteria. Creativity, Quality of Workmanship, Style, Cohesiveness, and Functionality.
  • And Finally, all participants are encouraged to have a lot of fun!

There ARE prizes given away in this competition! There are some good ones to boot! I have at least a Halo and an HPA tank to give away at the end of February, so join in, have fun, and win some stuff!

So, go grab an M-98 or clone for cheap from one of the other forums out there, keep it under $150 total on parts, upgrades, and paint. You've got 3+ months to come up with the scratch and join the fun! Be frugal, be creative, have fun!

Judges:
1 Tallen702
2 RealtorTommy (mcarterbrown.com)
3 SSOK
4 ProCarbineFreak
5 Snake6
6 JordanPischke
7 TheJudge
8 Shub
9 +Drex+
10 DDPeppa (Model98.org)
11 Robocop
12 mamasboi
13 R0gu3
14 Sinister North
15 Karll

Yesterday was January 1, 2008. It marked the start of the build phase, gentlemen! Start you milling!!!!!

Edited by tallen702 - 02 January 2008 at 11:32pm
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 11:30am
Tippmanns are for noobs.
scrumsguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrumsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 4:52pm

Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Tippmanns are for noobs.

Ignore him

Sounds like an exelent Idea, maybe some other year, when I have enough money

Help support the Youth In Asia!

Member Of Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 6:09pm
I think I'm interested. $150 is not a bad price for a potentially sick gun.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 6:19pm

Judge Plz. I'd join in on this, but:

1. I want a Autococker
2. My Mag project is already taking up my time.
3. 98's cost money.
4. You, DT, or SRT 4 will pull out some ultra rare e-bolt or some thing like that rendering me dead in this competition.

BenoitOWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenoitOWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 7:16pm
Part already pruchased before I ever heard about this count in the 150$? It already for model 98-c98 otherwise dunno for 150$ to be good.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 7:19pm
bah... i still want to get a 98.

no money though.  good luck.

Maybe i could have a judge spot?
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by scrumsguy scrumsguy wrote:

Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Tippmanns are for noobs.

Ignore him

Sounds like an exelent Idea, maybe some other year, when I have enough money

It was a joke.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 8:06pm

So, is it just M98's, or is it the entire 98 line?

I didn't want to do this, but now you don't leave me any choice. I'm thinking a scenario E-Bolted M98. I need a good scenario gun, and most of my design is going to be fab'ed from wood...

Hm. It's gonna be cool.

Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 8:16pm
I may or may not be in.  Depends if I can finally get that SL done.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 8:17pm
Beniotown, yep, anything purchased prior to knowledge of the competition is excluded from the $150 price cap. If you have an e-bolt lying around, feel free to use it. Remember, creativity and innovation not only in the functioning of the marker but in it's styling will be part of the main judging points. So while an e-bolt or the like will be awesome additions to the marker overall, they aren't a guaranteed win. I know you're a very capable airsmith and look forward to seeing what you produce!

DeTrevni, It's the entire '98 line and applicable clones (BT 4 etc) not just the classic M-98. Glad to see you're going to join in! I've been getting a lot of interest so far, and one of the MCB guys has requested to link to the build-off here over on the Underground Mod Shop. I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone produces. I may have to divide the build-off into two categories (Scenario/Milsim and Speedball/Non-Scenario) and come up with a few more prizes if we get enough entrants.

College guys and gals! Don't be afraid! I know the $150 cap seems like a lot of money, but '98's can be had for around $50-$60 if you look hard enough and I know most of you have access to at least paint and some cutting tools (at the very least a dremmel and some files!). You've got a lot of time to come up with the scratch to buy a junker and turn it into something nice with a minimal of parts and a decent amount of effort.
BenoitOWN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenoitOWN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 8:34pm
My financial status for now is going low, I have no more jobs that why I wanted to use other part I already have and like 2 week ago I purchased m98 parts to be use for a project. I shoud find another jobs by the end of the contest just buying something take 3-4 week for me before I receive it.

I will try to keep that project to a minimum. Guess I will need to use the dremel this time :P hehehe
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 8:54pm
lol, you can use whatever tools you need my man!
And remember, have fun!
RealtorTommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealtorTommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 9:24pm

two categories (Scenario/Milsim and Speedball/Non-Scenario) and come up with a few more prizes if we get enough entrants.

as a judge....I would like to see two categories......

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 9:38pm
Tallen, I'll Judge.

Also I think you should put a rep cap on judges. Members with one post should not be allowed to judge. No offense to you RealtorTommy, but you have no rep so how do we know you have any idea of what is involved with building a marker, or if you are going to hang around long enough to judge the competition anyways?

Edited by Snake6 - 25 November 2007 at 9:39pm
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 9:50pm
Can I judge? I would join in, but im buying a 360 so im gonna be broke.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 10:40pm
Snake, thanks for the suggestion, and it doesn't fall on deaf ears. However, the build-off is larger than just the tippmann forum and encompasses the MCB forum and possibly even the underground mod shop forum as well. Hence, post counts here don't mean much if the judges are from elsewhere. Tommy is a long-standing and well reputed member of both MCB and PBN and I know him from both places. Don't be surprised if you see some new names in the contest or the judges list due to the broad base of the build-off.

Just as a number to put out there. I've had 90 views of the linking thread over on MCB, that's roughly half the traffic this thread has received just in the past 24 hours. I've a feeling that we should see a good amount of entrants.

Edited by tallen702 - 25 November 2007 at 10:44pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 10:48pm
Goody. I like big events. I'll try my hand at scenario. I've never done a scenario gun before. And it's my opinion a scenario E-Bolt is gonna be different, as they all go for speedball 98's...

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 10:51pm
I assume that anything millsim probably won't win.

Looking for a 98 now, but I think you need to revise rules on trading.

What's to stop someone from getting the best 98 ever and spending zero on it because he traded?
<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 10:59pm
Well, if it's two categories, one scenario and one speedball, why wouldn't a milsim win?

It occurs to me, this is gonna draw a lot of umph away from my TOTM contest.

Edit: 8k posts. Woo!

Edited by DeTrevni - 25 November 2007 at 11:00pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic