Alpha Black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Xscout Xscout wrote:

this over-feminine culture...

I need a good laugh. Elaborate this point please.
Xscout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 5:39pm
A paintball marker that looks like an AR-15 isn't going to make a kid join the Army...and neither is a DVD and some propaganda tossed into the packaging...and yes, it's propaganda.

But to a kid thats already thinking about joining the military, or is considering a career down the road involved with firearms, it's a great idea.

Sure, it's a recruiting tool, just like America's Army vid game is...but the Army is in fact fun as hell, you do get to run around and shoot folks, blow stuff up, and go on missions.  It might be lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.  And that is the dirty little secret that gets sanitized in this over-feminine culture...being a soldier is a lot of fun.

So no, a military marketed marker is not going to turn someone disinclined into Rambo...but to kids already running around in the woods wearing camo, playing scenario games?
Duh.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 12:31am
Originally posted by ShortyBP ShortyBP wrote:

Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Didn't tippmanns used to have a lifetime warranty?
Not that I remember. IIRC, they've never had a lifetime warranty... it's always been one year... but they usually provided support well beyond that.

You're correct. (meaning shorty)

Edited by tallen702 - 19 January 2008 at 12:32am
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 12:18am

Not that I remember. IIRC, they've never had a lifetime warranty... it's always been one year... but they usually provided support well beyond that.
GI JOES SON View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Got me flowers for my birthday

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GI JOES SON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 12:12am

got my 98 a few years back now, i think its only a year
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

I have to agree with whale on this one.I think joining the armed forces is a great and honorable thing to do as a citizen of the US, but recruiting propaganda should not be ground into children's heads at the age of 12-13. At this point in a persons life they are very impressionable to marketing propaganda. Recruiting should be directed to people age 17-18 when you are old enough to know the alternatives, and the impact on the rest of your life this decision will have. At that age that you can make a conscious decision about what you are doing. I'm sorry, but a 12-13 year old kid doesn't really understand the difference between a  game and real war, they do not understand the consequences of their actions, and should not be spoon fed propaganda of this nature. It takes alot of the choice away from them, and makes them think that war is just a big game.The last thing I want in a fighting hole next to me is a kid, fresh out of boot who joined because he was brainwashed into it, and then he realized after he had been in 5 months that this was not the right place for him.

The way I think of it is that most kids by 17-18 allready know what they are going to do for a living. If the army does not advertise to them earlier on, they will choose a different career path. This can be used to inform them that there is a career in the army waiting for them if they dicide to do so someday. I think that the last thing you really want is the kid right next to you in the foxhole that joined because they couldn't think of anything else to do after high school and are realizing that they have made the wrong decision.

Marketing to an earlier age will give them a chance to see the oppurtunities that they can find in the army so that they can make an imformed decision later on in life.
I disagree. You don't see colleges or jobs marketing to the 12-13 year old demographic do you? I am sure that the commercials that are on TV constantly on TV are more than enough to let people know that the army is there. The fact of the matter is that this a tool to make kids think that war is somehow related to a game, which it is not. This at best a shady recruiting mechanism and I disagree with this move wholeheartedly.

What about video games and toys based on aviation, firefighting, and police officers?
As someone previously stated, Those games are not directly supported or funded by the Army...

"I disagree. You don't see colleges or jobs marketing to the 12-13 year old demographic do you?"

You asked, I provided.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 7:37pm
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 5:51pm
Back on Topic Noobs!

I was told from Tippmann that if there is enough demand for the E gripped version. That they will make a cyclone for it.

So new news on it are
  • takes 98 barels
  • can use model 98 stocks
  • they have the tippmann 1 year warranty and support from tippmanns custumer support.

Edited by Evil Elvis - 18 January 2008 at 5:51pm
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 5:47pm
Free pizza? Damn right I'm going to that college!
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 5:30pm

Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

I suppose it depends on the person.

I personally wouldn't want to go out with someone who just recognizes me as the guy who bought her something nice on the first date.

Much like I wouldn't want someone to decide on a college based on the pizza, and not the academics.

I agree on all counts.

But my point is that even though those are not MY criteria, clearly many other people feel otherwise.

I may be drawing a very slender distinction here, but I think there is a difference between "I find that marketing unpersuasive and unattractive" and "I disapprove of that marketing".

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

I don't see how pizza-based college recruiting is different than your average first date.

Is it?

I suppose it depends on the person.

I personally wouldn't want to go out with someone who just recognizes me as the guy who bought her something nice on the first date.

Much like I wouldn't want someone to decide on a college based on the pizza, and not the academics.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 5:13pm

I have to agree with whale on this one.I think joining the armed forces is a great and honorable thing to do as a citizen of the US, but recruiting propaganda should not be ground into children's heads at the age of 12-13. At this point in a persons life they are very impressionable to marketing propaganda. Recruiting should be directed to people age 17-18 when you are old enough to know the alternatives, and the impact on the rest of your life this decision will have. At that age that you can make a conscious decision about what you are doing. I'm sorry, but a 12-13 year old kid doesn't really understand the difference between a  game and real war, they do not understand the consequences of their actions, and should not be spoon fed propaganda of this nature. It takes alot of the choice away from them, and makes them think that war is just a big game.The last thing I want in a fighting hole next to me is a kid, fresh out of boot who joined because he was brainwashed into it, and then he realized after he had been in 5 months that this was not the right place for him.

The way I think of it is that most kids by 17-18 allready know what they are going to do for a living. If the army does not advertise to them earlier on, they will choose a different career path. This can be used to inform them that there is a career in the army waiting for them if they dicide to do so someday. I think that the last thing you really want is the kid right next to you in the foxhole that joined because they couldn't think of anything else to do after high school and are realizing that they have made the wrong decision.

Marketing to an earlier age will give them a chance to see the oppurtunities that they can find in the army so that they can make an imformed decision later on in life.
I disagree. You don't see colleges or jobs marketing to the 12-13 year old demographic do you? I am sure that the commercials that are on TV constantly on TV are more than enough to let people know that the army is there. The fact of the matter is that this a tool to make kids think that war is somehow related to a game, which it is not. This at best a shady recruiting mechanism and I disagree with this move wholeheartedly.

What about video games and toys based on aviation, firefighting, and police officers?

As someone previously stated, Those games are not directly supported or funded by the Army...
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 5:13pm

That they used products and enticement to get their point across.

They were trying to ingrain in you that "Hey, this was the school that got me pizza."

But why is that bad?

Almost all human interactions involve some kind of presenting yourself in the most favorable light, or hiding flaws, or using irrelevancies to ingratiate yourself.

We dress nicely to distract from our crappy personalities, we wear makeup to cover up flaws.  We speak nicely to people's faces but meanly behind their back (or on the internets).

Short of telling outright lies (of which I disapprove) I don't see how pizza-based college recruiting is different than your average first date.

Is it?

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 5:00pm

I hated the college promoters that would come to our high-school and would buy pizzas for people who would come listen to their spiel about how their college was the best. That includes the place I currently go to now.

I am obviously not harboring any reservations about college.

And can you figure out what upsets you about these recruiters?

That they used products and enticement to get their point across.

They were trying to ingrain in you that "Hey, this was the school that got me pizza."

brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 4:56pm

Originally posted by ctiani ctiani wrote:

It was a statement about the people who DO play games like GTA because they DO think killing is neat.

All good reasons to play video games.  But I just don't see any particularly relationship between play-killing in video games and a view that actual killing is neat.

Col. Dave Grossmann devotes most of a chapter in On Combat to this exact phenomenon- and actually does demonstrate that there is a significant correlation between violence in society and violent media and video games. I believe he has another book out precisely covering the subject, but I'm not certain. You may want to find a copy of On Combat and read the applicable chapter, though. You'll likely find it enlightening. It certainly swayed me form the 'video games are pretty harmless' category.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 4:41pm

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 4:33pm

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 4:23pm

Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 4:01pm
I have to agree with whale on this one.

I think joining the armed forces is a great and honorable thing to do as a citizen of the US, but recruiting propaganda should not be ground into children's heads at the age of 12-13. At this point in a persons life they are very impressionable to marketing propaganda. Recruiting should be directed to people age 17-18 when you are old enough to know the alternatives, and the impact on the rest of your life this decision will have. At that age that you can make a conscious decision about what you are doing.

I'm sorry, but a 12-13 year old kid doesn't really understand the difference between a  game and real war, they do not understand the consequences of their actions, and should not be spoon fed propaganda of this nature. It takes alot of the choice away from them, and makes them think that war is just a big game.

The last thing I want in a fighting hole next to me is a kid, fresh out of boot who joined because he was brainwashed into it, and then he realized after he had been in 5 months that this was not the right place for him.

Edited by Snake6 - 18 January 2008 at 4:02pm
ctiani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctiani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by +DreX+ +DreX+ wrote:

And back to your question, did you play because you thought killing was neat?

Maybe you should go back through the posts and try to comprehend them a little better. Find the point where i stated anything negative about video games (not the rare number of wackos that get twisted by the violence in them, but the games themselves), or find the part where i asked a question... wow, wierd... nothing there is there.

you proved MY point that this gun marketed by tippmann and the army is not going to be the sole reason for someone to "accidently" join the army because they think it's cool, like playing paintball.

go flame someone else bud, you can't read.

Edited by ctiani - 18 January 2008 at 3:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 12>
  Share Topic