Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alpha Black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

Originally posted by impulse! impulse! wrote:

lol @ comparing "professional paintball" to actual pro sports...

Care to elaborate?

Professional sports means playing for a living, not for a couple of cases of paintballs.

If you have a day job, you are not a professional athlete.

Yeah pro players get a couple cases of paint for winning a big tourny.... And oh they have no endorsements..... Go find a political thread.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 11:01am

Oh please.

For every paintball player that actually makes a living playing paintball, without a day job, there are, oh, ALL THE OTHERS running around calling themselves "professional" when they live in their mothers' basements while not working at the Quick Stop.

There are a few truly professional paintball players.  Very, very few.  And even those are barely getting by.  Everybody else is just faking it to make themselves feel better.

The prizes in the tournaments aren't big enough, the sponsorships aren't big enough for true professionals.

There just isn't enough money in paintball to support a bunch of actual professional players.  There may come a time where paintball reaches the level of skateboarding, but that day is far away.  And even skateboarding has precious few true professionals.

As for real pro sports, like football, soccer, tennis?  That's another whole planet that paintball will never see.  Comparing paintballers to actual professional athletes in terms of their value or obligations as role models for society is absolutely and completely inane.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 11:05am
They are not "true professionals", so I will not even argue if that is the point you are making.
Que pasa?

Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 11:07am
Comparing paintball to football is silly.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Comparing paintball to football is silly.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 12:03pm

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

They are not "true professionals", so I will not even argue if that is the point you are making.

I think most people will agree with that.

Clearly there is a lot more money in paintball now than there was before, but it's not exactly the same level as those other sports...

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
a5Tpp789 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

in the closet MILSIMer...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a5Tpp789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 12:09pm

lol @ comparing "professional paintball" to actual pro sports...
Care to elaborate?

Professional sports means playing for a living, not for a couple of cases of paintballs.

no but they are sponsored and on espn and the only reason pros have jobs is because it is a new sport (a fast growing sport) but think to skateboardibg when it was new
give it a few years look at ollie lang
if you put 500 dollars into an A5 it is still an A5
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by a5Tpp789 a5Tpp789 wrote:

no but they are sponsored . . .

My wife's bowling team is sponsored; it doesn't make her a professional athlete.

. . . and on espn . . .

So are domino tournaments.

. . . and the only reason pros have jobs is because it is a new sport . . .

Translation:  Not yet a real sport.

. . . (a fast growing sport) but think to skateboardibg when it was new

The fortunes of one person does not a sport make.
a5Tpp789 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

in the closet MILSIMer...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a5Tpp789 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 4:18pm
sport      /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

hmmm lets think paintball does require skill you cant bs that one.
paintball does take alot of running espicially if you play competively and as for competitive nature well you can fill in the blanks for that one

Edited by a5Tpp789 - 29 January 2008 at 4:18pm
if you put 500 dollars into an A5 it is still an A5
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 5:15pm

and the reason alot of people hate this is because it will feed into the steryotype that us paintballs are playing pretend war when we play for the same reason that other people play football, baseball, basketball

I play to pretend War. You should try it too it's a hoot and a holler. I play to have fun not to make a living out of it. I wear cammo and i have a paintball gun that emulates a real world gun. I use Grenades and every bit of nasty technology such as mines and tanks and what ever I please. becuase it's my right to as an American.
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 5:18pm

Yeah pro players get a couple cases of paint for winning a big tourny.... And oh they have no endorsements..... Go find a political thread.

Name any who are in the same scale of the average profesional endorced player.

And no need to be mean just because Clark crushed your point.

no but they are sponsored and on espn and the only reason pros have jobs is because it is a new sport (a fast growing sport) but think to skateboardibg when it was new

Paying for Tourney fees and paint doesnt really add up to making a living. And you can find OPSWAR a milsim show on the Men's Network on statalite and SpecOps is also having a MILSIM tv show called Armchair Commandoes that's in production as well does this legitimize MILSIm as well? or does that only work one way?

Edited by Evil Elvis - 29 January 2008 at 5:21pm
impulse! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Guested - Repeat Offender

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

Name any who are in the same scale of the average profesional endorced player.

And no need to be mean just because Clark crushed your point.

Anybody with a gun named after them (Lasoya, Bonebrake etc.) Anyone who is pictured in ads wearing any gear I.E. Dye. They don't post for free pants and jerseys.

Paying for Tourney fees and paint doesnt really add up to making a living. And you can find OPSWAR a milsim show on the Men's Network on statalite and SpecOps is also having a MILSIM tv show called Armchair Commandoes that's in production as well does this legitimize MILSIm as well? or does that only work one way?

If they are playing scenarios and winning money then yeah. Or having endorsements in ads for gear.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 7:23pm
This thread is full of people who do not know what they are talking about.  EE seems to be the only one keeping it real here.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:19pm
impulse...most of them get their paintball payed for.

That's what a "pro" paintballer gets.(quotation marks for whole thread)

Paintball related nonsense for free. Hotels, airfare, guns, paint, etc..

Watch Heroes for a Day and tell me pro paintballers are getting paid.

The few with big names(Lasoya, Ollie) may be getting paid. I bet they even have a day job.

Some have jobs within the industry, but they still have a day job.

All those pros you've never heard of go home and work I am sure to pay the bills.

Edited by jmac3 - 29 January 2008 at 9:22pm
Que pasa?

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:26pm

sport      [spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

hmmm lets think paintball does require skill you cant bs that one.
paintball does take alot of running espicially if you play competively and as for competitive nature well you can fill in the blanks for that one

snip·er       (snī'p ər) Pronunciation Key
n.   
A skilled military shooter detailed to spot and pick off enemy soldiers from a concealed place.
One who shoots at other people from a concealed place.

--------------------------------------

There is more to define a word than what you find in the dictionary.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:22am
^^^Carl, did you notice he missed the entire point?  The discussion isn't about whether or not paintball is a sport, the question was if it is a professional sport.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

^^^Carl, did you notice he missed the entire point?  The discussion
isn't about whether or not paintball is a sport, the question was if it
is a <span style="text-decoration: underline;">professional</span> sport.

Haha I missed that.

Thinking it's a professional sport is just silly.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 12:02pm
I'm with those that scoff at the idea of it being a 'professional sport' Perhaps someday, but as of now, No. not even remotely close.

Why? because the money just isn't there. Are there big named companies clamoring to buy ad space during the commercials of an NPPL tournament? Negative.

Granted, this isn't the be-all end-all stipulation for the qualification of 'pro sports' but man, be real about it. Getting sponsorship isn't all that difficult if you've got any skills at all. A company is willing to pay a few bucks to get their name sewn on a jersey.

Susan's absolutely right. Until the day comes where those claiming to be 'professionals' can be complained about for being 'overpaid' and as soon as multi-million dollar contract negotiations between teams become SOP, it just ain't 'professional'

....you might jump on my examples as being too money oriented, but lets face it, THAT is what is dictating what is a 'professional' nowadays.

sad but true.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 12:43pm
I think half the people were arguing that people were saying it's not a sport, and half were arguing saying it's not a professional sport.

I think that is where the confusion lies.
Que pasa?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

I think half the people were arguing that people were saying it's not a sport, and half were arguing saying it's not a professional sport.I think that is where the confusion lies.

It is really neither.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 12>
  Share Topic