Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i made a ghillie suit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i made a ghillie suit.
    Posted: 04 February 2008 at 10:58am

I just read the 3 pages of people ranting over the pros and cons of these suits. needless to say i am not here to argue, or stand by sources of ignition while wearing said suit, but i am simply here to say mine works, and was pretty cheap/easy to make.i just used a camo poncho, mine was issued, but they sell this crap at army surplus stores. lots of strips of camo materail, between 12"-24" depending where they would be placed. more strips of brown material, and green material. i used different types of material, and i ripped them up, to give more dimension, then simply cutting lots of straight lines. this suit took me about 3 hours sowing the strips on. i would like to add some netting material, the kind used to camo objects from arial photography.

i have used the suit about 3 times with a lot of luck. i carry it onto the field in a bag, no sense wearing it on. then when i am far enough to not be seen i will slip it on. usually i will do this around a pretty dense area, and then i just move very slowly and wait.

i know markers effective range is not great, and even my flatline doesn't make me a sniper, but for someone who plays woods ball only, and lacks patience, this really makes me change up my game.

just my 2 cents.

SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
Zippo25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zippo25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 12:29pm
Good on ya. Glad you're playin the game the way you wanna play it. 
carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 2:01pm
thanks, i saw the heated debate about it before, and just wanted to say, if you want to do it, and it's not a form of cheating, then just do it.
SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 4:25pm

This thread is gonna get bad.

How is this an idea?

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 4:42pm
Why anyone would want to crawl on their belly through the mud during an entire game is beyond me.

So how do you know that it helps?

Notice your goggles fogging up more often? You will for sure in the summer.

Crawling across the field doesn't do much for your team if you can't advance quickly with the rest of your team. If you stand, you completely negate the effects of the ghillie suit. If you run, it will get very hot quickly on spring and summer days.

It's funny how you think a ghillie suit negates needing patience. If anything, it is the opposite.

jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 6:06pm
can we see pics?
carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 9:36pm

the ghillie suit encourages my patience. that was the point. i am usually all run and gun, but i don't last long. fogging? i used a $5 insert in my googles to aleviate that issue. the suit makes me slow down, and pick my shots. and who said anything about crawling? you can move in the suit, you can kneel in it, i basically move very similiarly in the suit as i do without it, but i just make all of my moves deliberate. and generally i only wear the suit the first game, and maybe only half of it. once i am seen then the suit is worthless. but i can easily take it off. then the next game i can set the suit up in plan site and watch the other team shoot at it. kinda like the un-official 6th man. obviosuly you guys hate these suits, and have invisioned some sniper wanna be, thats NOT at all what i am trying to portray, but think what you want, thats fine. i just thought about making this, i did it on the cheap, and i have found it to be a lot of fun. 

SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 9:37pm
oh yeah, i'll post a pic tomarrow.
SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 12:12am
Originally posted by carguy carguy wrote:

the ghillie suit encourages my patience. that was the point. i am usually all run and gun, but i don't last long. fogging? i used a $5 insert in my googles to aleviate that issue. the suit makes me slow down, and pick my shots. and who said anything about crawling? you can move in the suit, you can kneel in it, i basically move very similiarly in the suit as i do without it, but i just make all of my moves deliberate. and generally i only wear the suit the first game, and maybe only half of it. once i am seen then the suit is worthless. but i can easily take it off. then the next game i can set the suit up in plan site and watch the other team shoot at it. kinda like the un-official 6th man. obviosuly you guys hate these suits, and have invisioned some sniper wanna be, thats NOT at all what i am trying to portray, but think what you want, thats fine. i just thought about making this, i did it on the cheap, and i have found it to be a lot of fun. 

By kneeling, you negate the effects of the suit.

Goggles will fog. There is no fog proofing, only fog resisting. I gurantee it will fog on a hot summer day.

Why shouldn't we invision them for snipers? That it what they are for after all.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 10:51am
Originally posted by carguy carguy wrote:

. . .the next game i can set the suit up in plan site and watch the other team shoot at it.

LOL.  I did the same thing with an old hunk of camo-netting once. 
carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 3:59pm

here are some pics, now you must take into consideration 2 things, 1) i have a crappy digital camera. 2) the suit is sitting on my vacuum. pics don't do this justice, i need some pics of me wearing it.

with that being said, here are my pics. they look really red, but the red is actually a dark brown. i used a camo poncho, "s" brown undershirts, and my basic training towels. ---> all issued, all free! the towels when torn up have a nice mossy look. i also used one of my wife's old skirts for the dark brown. it was really lite, and had about 3 yards of material. (she's not fat, it's was one of those trendy phesant skirts). and i used dental floss to secure it all. it is way stronger then thread.

this all fits into a motorcycle helmet bag, and weighs about 6 lbs. in the pics you can see the bag resting on top of the vacuum, supporting the mask. (it's black)

as for the sniper comments, IMO snipers are different from infantry due to there range. markers have no range. kneeling DOES NOT negate the suit. just like camo does not make you invisible, it simply breaks up your form. same here, so knelling, moving slow, etc... it all works. and if your goggles fog up that bad, maybe you should do some cardio ?!?  i am not trying to flame, just pointing out some things.

SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 4:34pm
What vacuum? I don't see a vacuum in those pictures.
carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 5:06pm
the suit/mask are sitting on the vacuum. it's only about 4' tall. i am 6'7", so thats why it looks like a pile. the fact that i am too tall causes me to get creative with concealment.
SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 5:22pm
Nice Red streaks should blend in well in any terrain.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 5:32pm
"hey look, a clown" splat.
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 6:18pm

It is good you mentioned that the red was actually dark brown because when I first looked at the pictures I thought to my self "why does he have bright red all over it".

carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 8:06pm
yeah, as mentioned, my camera sucks. nice to see someone reads.
SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 9:17pm
White. The most common color in nature's forests.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 10:41pm
Someone TPed your ghillie

it looks like you dangled old maxi pads all over it.

Edited by The Guy - 05 February 2008 at 10:41pm
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 12:29am
Yeah, you're doomed if you play in that...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic