Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i made a ghillie suit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 3:25pm

here's a better set of pics, for those of you too cool to read my previous disclaimer. if the suit looks like it has been thrown on the ground next to my weed infested flower bed, and hanging on a crappy tree on the backside of my property, thats because it is. i am not going to argue it's effectivness, because that would be pointless. ideally i would have a pic of me in the woods with it, but i don't have a shot of that. you would not see any piece of clothing advertised in this way, because it looks ridiculous, and is hard to imagine someone wearing it. but these are the best pics i could do. bottom line, cheap, easy, fun. hate all you want, but it gives my friends and I a little different angle on the same game.

SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
bmax View Drop Down
1 strike, language violation in sig. 1/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 3:30pm

I think it looks pretty good.  I think the white should be lessened a fair amount with some different shades of brown and definately more deeper greens.  If you go to a local craft store they should have spray paint that will work on fabrics.  I suggest you get some of these in various shades of green, brown and maybe some black or tan depending on what your environment is like.  Lightly spray around the suit to break up colours as well as darken it slightly to get rid of that white.

And props to you for playing how you want to play and playing how you like to play.  Well done mate. 

<Sig deleted due to language violation kthnx >
carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 3:33pm
i swear there is no white in this! the pic on the left is better as far as showing the color, but even then without me photo shopping the crap out of this, it will look kinda too light, due to my sucko camera. thanks for the props though!
SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 3:43pm
I stand by what I said...

If you want a "different angle," buy a pump. This is NOT the way to go...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 3:50pm
What the hell is that in your sig?
bmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 4:37pm

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

What the hell is that in your sig?

+1

Looks like a retarded camel frog...

Anyway...what colour is that then? It looks much lighter than anything.  Regardless if it is white or not, it's too drastic of a highlight in the suit and should be toned down. 

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

What vacuum? I don't see a vacuum in those pictures.
Originally posted by carguy carguy wrote:

the suit/mask are sitting on the vacuum. it's only about 4' tall. i am 6'7", so thats why it looks like a pile. the fact that i am too tall causes me to get creative with concealment.

Someone needs to turn on their humor detector.

(Ghillie suit over the vacuum . . . vacuum can't be seen . . . (sigh) . . . never mind.)

Edited addition:  On a serious note regarding the ghillie.  My theory on these things is if someone wants to play in them it's fine with me as long as they call themselves out when hit.  I had to wear one a few times for work so I refuse to wear them for recreation.

I believe the naysayers have a valid point in their critiques of the ghillie color scheme.  While it may look different in person, keep in mind that the "crappy" camera will affect all other objects in the picture in a manner similar to the changes in the shades of the ghillie.  With this in mind, and using the outdoor pics for comparison purposes, I don't think it's going to blend all that well.  This means without modification you have a piece of equipment that will give you all of the disadvantages of ghille (weight, heat retention, possible snagging) and none of the camouflage advantages.

That said, if this is really what you want to go with you should be able, through trial and error, to get it to eventually work decently in the terrain you play in.  You will probably not be able to do anything about two of the disadvantages inherent to that specific suit though:  The cloth strips will tend to not mimic real foliage in texture/shape aspects (there is a reason burlap strands are used in military ghillies) and without some type of netting material, it will not be easily modifiable for new fields or changing conditions.

I speak from personal experience on the failure of cloth strips in these applications.  One of the sections I was assigned to had a requirement for performing undetected observations of certain areas for training/exercise purposes.  The first "ghillie" the section got was a pair of green coveralls with strips of old BDU material attached.  (It was quite similar in design to what you made.)  It was useless; regular BDUs worked better.

Edited by Mack - 06 February 2008 at 5:01pm
bmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 4:55pm

What vacuum? I don't see a vacuum in those pictures.
Originally posted by carguy carguy wrote:

the suit/mask are sitting on the vacuum. it's only about 4' tall. i am 6'7", so thats why it looks like a pile. the fact that i am too tall causes me to get creative with concealment.

Someone needs to turn on their humor detector.

(Ghillie suit over the vacuum . . . vacuum can't be seen . . . (sigh) . . . never mind.)

carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 9:57pm

as far as my sig, you need to brush up on your 80's movies. (hint: he is friends with Atrayu) as for the critique on the suit, Mack you deffinitly put an intelligent line of reason out there. and most of the things you have addressed i have thought of, and wish to make changes to in the future. as for using it/it's usefulness, it works, if i am hit, i call hit, it's purpose is not for cheating, just somthing fun. and as for pump guns, i did that allready, if everyone has them, great! but then friends started getting semi auto's, and the arms race began! so maybe one of these days i will post a pic of the woods on here, and lie and say that i am in there  just to tell you how great this suit works. but until then, just know that it is a work in progress, i will take the constructive pointers and work on it.

thanks.

SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:57pm
Ok maybee since your new you dont know me. So I'll give you better critique of your guillie suit.

I am a US Marine. My Job was Machine Gunner and a Rifleman. I am trained in Jungle Warfare , did both schools the US Marines School in Okinawa Japan and the US Army School in Ft Sherman Panama. I also have been to Mountain Warfare school, I have been in 2 Marine Expediotenary Units (special operations capable).

Durring my last year my roomate was a Scout Sniper with the Battalions STA platoon. I also took the Indoc but didnt make Qual. I have helped him build several guillies and I also made several guillie ponchos for when I used to use my artistic ability for range cards, leaders recons, LP/OP's and all sort of manners of real Military Applications not some weekend warrior Spec Ops paintball Cookie Cutter off the shelf "sniper"

Your guillie fails because it's construction resembles a mop. You used a very inefective pattern. You didnt use shorter strips of burlap died and frayed to appear proper but chose to put four foot strips that resembles a wet wookie.

Look bellow at the Marine Scout Sniper bellow.

Look how his guillie suit resembles "short dry grass" this is done as the base. When using a guillie you dont use the "Mop Strings" to conceal your position you add natural foliage to your suit to better match your area of operations. Why most guillies are design for the region you work in either tanish, OD green or earthy brown. Not a mix of Green/Brown/Tan like a set of shreded BDU's.

Look bellow.

Notice how their bellies have no cammo. They also have large patches of canvas glued on with Shoe Goo on. This is for when they crawl. Notice how yours when it's worn looks like Cousin It. Because your Guillie wasnt designed to be used from the prone. I'd love to sit here and post a How to Build a Proper Guillie but I dont belive in reinforcing the belief that some civilian with a few dvds and a few webpages can become what profecionals work for months and their whole carrers to master. Being a Sniper.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 12:44am
Evil Elvis FTW!!!

Oh and your suit (or almost any ghillie suit for that matter) does you no good standing or crouching.

It only enhances your profile.
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 12:52am
I thought your sig looked like the dragon from the never ending story when I first saw it. I guess I was right.
carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 10:16am

never ending story! bingo! as far as the critique, i appreciate it, and speaking as an Ohio Air National Guardsman who has been to Turkey (worked out , watched dvd's) England (same thing, got to hold a gun!) Guam (caught a big fish!) and Texas too many times i have no idea about real combat, or combat attire. i turn wrenchs on aircraft.

i have seen some elaborate ghillies, and i don't want to drop the cash/time. lets just say that paintball is as close to real combat as i ever want to get. i seriously am greatful to anyone who has served the real deal. with all of that being said if my life were on the line, i might try harder with this. for me to simply tool around in the woods with my friends, this works. it has given me the element of surprise  multiple times. not like someone will walk within 5' of me and not know, but simply they are looking around they get within about 20' and i am able to shoot them. thats all i am looking for.

SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 3:57pm
Did you go to the "Compound" in Turkey? if you did LOL pm me back.
carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2008 at 10:35pm

sadly no, i was in Incerlic, near medina. whats the compound?

SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
Rambino View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
I am even less fun in person

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 1:02am
It makes me feel very old that people did not recognize that sig pic...
[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/aag8s8.jpg">
jordanpischke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanpischke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 1:19am

Originally posted by Rambino Rambino wrote:

It makes me feel very old that people did not recognize that sig pic...

Heh I recognized and I'm only 15.

CobraA-5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CobraA-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2008 at 8:49pm
i made a ghillie useing died burlap and strung it on an old halloween costume
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 12:29pm
back in the day when i played i would do the same thing on my mask and gun. i would also wear an extra BDU shirt as a bandana letting the torso of the shirt fall behind my back and the arms fall over my shoulders.

if you can still find some good woods fields then using cammo will be more effective. in the USA kids arnt hunting as much as they used to so their senses arnt as sharp as they should be. moving fast to an advanced position then sitting still and letting the other team expose them selves is a very effective tactic.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
CobraA-5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CobraA-5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 11:06am
">here is a pic of my ghillie

Edited by CobraA-5 - 13 February 2008 at 11:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic