Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

i made a ghillie suit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaibill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2008 at 7:23pm
so ghillies make you more visible is that what some are saying?  But if you crouch and stay still won't you blend in enough to let your opponents give up there position and get close enough to you to shoot them.
P68
68 carbine
Viper M1
aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2008 at 9:31pm
Well at least you learned some patience from making a ghillie :-)

Self constructed ghillies like yours usually get the job done for the surprise, but a ghillie that has taken a lot of work works better for the hit  and run, then hide. That's pretty hard to do though so it's more about how fast you can move and how well you can keep hydrated.

They sure are fun though, because the mop-looking ones scare the bajeeze's out of people.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 2:29am
Originally posted by aceatc aceatc wrote:

. . . the mop-looking ones scare the bajeeze's out of people.

Yes, I was terrified the last time a floor cleaning apparatus came after me on the paintball field.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 9:39am
Ask your self this, does the colors, shadows, and texture blend in with the surrounding enviroment that yo u will play in? Will you play all the time on that field where it could be useful?  If you plan to do alot of shoot and scoot, a ghillies is not for you.  Scout Snipers in the fleet make them but rarely use them. If they do, they are challenging targets at several hundreds of yards/meters. The enviroment/foliage (or lack of foliage) changes constantly.  You are better off with a set of cammies, learn stalking/ambush, and practice in the woods to perfect your movement.  Go to your local library or shop on line for field manuals and books covering movement, camouflage and concealment, and setting an ambush.  FYI, black fatigues draw and retain heat and make you stand out both day and night.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 6:55pm

Originally posted by chaibill chaibill wrote:

so ghillies make you more visible is that what some are saying?[

Only the poorly made ones.

Quote But if you crouch and stay still won't you blend in enough to let your opponents give up there position and get close enough to you to shoot them.

You can do that with any kind of camoflage, not just ghille suits.  The best pattern I've had luck with is the U.S. Marine Digi-camo.  I'll take that over looking like a walking brushpile anyday. 

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Originally posted by chaibill chaibill wrote:

so ghillies make you more visible is that what some are saying?[

Only the poorly made ones.

Quote But if you crouch and stay still won't you blend in enough to let your opponents give up there position and get close enough to you to shoot them.

You can do that with any kind of camoflage, not just ghille suits.  The best pattern I've had luck with is the U.S. Marine Digi-camo.  I'll take that over looking like a walking brushpile anyday. 

I don't like the Digi camo for the swampy woods. They're good for grasslands and flatland.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:10pm

Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

I don't like the Digi camo for the swampy woods. They're good for grasslands and flatland.

U.S. Marine Digi-Camo is perfect for the woods.  I can't think of a worse pattern for grass or flatlands.  To give you a better idea of where I play primarily here is a couple of pictures.

First pic of my buddy's son.  Second pic shows the lower part of the property.  If you go further to the left, you get into the swampy ares.

Edited by StormyKnight - 06 April 2008 at 8:13pm
aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 10:18pm
I really don't bother with camo, only if I have some with me. Like in one of the pictures, I just hide behind stuff and crawl around if I really don't want to be seen. 
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 11:10pm
We can see you.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 9:21am

Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

We can see you.

No you can't.  I'm the one taking the pictures. 

ThatGuitarGuy View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Evil Elvis Evil Elvis wrote:

I'd love to sit here and post a How to Build a Proper Guillie but I dont belive in reinforcing the belief that some civilian with a few dvds and a few webpages can become what profecionals work for months and their whole carrers to master. Being a Sniper.

Thank you.  That is all. 
Marine Corps Scout/Snipers train ENDLESSLY.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 11:48am
Snake, your sigil just got outranked.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by aceatc aceatc wrote:

Well at least you learned some patience from making a ghillie :-)

Self constructed ghillies like yours usually get the job done for the surprise, but a ghillie that has taken a lot of work works better for the hit  and run, then hide. That's pretty hard to do though so it's more about how fast you can move and how well you can keep hydrated.

They sure are fun though, because the mop-looking ones scare the bajeeze's out of people.

There's a lot of truth to the phrase "dead men don't talk"

Assuming while hiding only one opposing player comes across your position, you should be able to take him out, and if he follows standard rules, he'll call himself out, and silently walk off the field.  Your cover is not blown.  There's really no point in "hit and run" tactics. 

A good ghillie isn't supposed to be for close range concealment anyway, so theoretically, a sniper can get a good 3 or 4 shots in before having to move, as the enemy should need more than the shots you give him to pin down where your shots are coming from.  But I'm talking long range engagement, 300+ yards which I was trained at.  Not the 50 or so yards a paintball player will engage at.  Then, you're using a ghillie at close range, so you REALLY have to prepare it well.  Use local vegetation, good coloring, and STAY AWAY from large or moving objects.  The eye is attracted to those.
Skillet:     I've never been terribly fond of the look of a vagina
aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 4:06pm
When I'm just around friends we play with our own rules and that's where the hit and run stuff comes into play.

In the forest where we mostly play a single person may only be able to see maybe 50 yards ahead (at best!). The other 95% of the time everything is very dense and you mainly focus on trying to walk through the forest and not fall over. This makes you look at the forest floor a lot and even though a ghillie is used for long distance, it gives us the advantage of being dangerously close to someone without being seen. At least that's what we construct our ghillies for. Forest is so dense that you could be 15 yards away in camo and not be seen. For us, the ghillie is just to get a little closer.

Sure is a workout running in the forest all day trying to trip on a branch and brake your leg :-)   
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 5:44pm
So you're not making a "ghillie" in the true sense of the word.  You made yourselves a hunting blind.

If I were you, I would definitely take my advice on movement and tactics. They have to be somewhat sound, as I am still alive.
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 7:25pm
i'm still gonna take you out with a smoke bomb.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Square Slot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGuitarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 11:56pm
Umm.  That's okay, I'll just counter that smoke bomb with a flash bang, and my patented paintball mortar.
carguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2008 at 9:42pm

WOW, i havn't checked up on this in a while, glad to see the controversy is still alive. A coupe people have hit on the main point of the suit. in dense woods, with players who observe the silent kill rule, these can work great. generally i walk onto the feild with it in a small bag. ONLY when i am out of site do i put it on, and then i use if for the first game. i used it recently and got two guys out right away. they didn't even know where it came from until i waved to them. after that game i took it off, becuase they were all spooked over it, and where now trying to find it. so i just set it up over some brush, and waited until they open up on it. then i shot them.

i have done this exact scenario about 3 times now, and it's worked well. maybe this sounds crappy to you pros, but it has been great fun for me.

SPEAD GUN YOUR FACE!!
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2008 at 10:03pm

TL;DR

Is it true that snipers in the military actually make their ghillie suits at the place they are at? Say they are going to a grassy field. They quickly make a very effective suit out of the grass. Basically all natural.

Edited by RoboCop - 12 April 2008 at 10:04pm
aceatc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceatc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2008 at 11:34pm
I've only seen a televised history about snipers ( The history channel ) and watched what the British Royal Marines have to go through to become a working sniper. They do use burlap, but of course they have to use vegetation and then repeatitly change that vegitation as the foliage in the terrain changes.

That makes sense, but I'm sure they don't tell you everything on T.V.   

Edited by aceatc - 12 April 2008 at 11:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic