Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

home defense question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: home defense question.
    Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:13pm
Im about to buy my 1st home and am a firm believer that the police take far to long to respond after calling 911.

im looking for a firearm or 2 for home defense. something i can shoot for fun on the side but be an effective defense firearm.

i dont think i will be able to carry to work (gov job) so a carry gun is out. although VA has a non permit open carry policy so if i want to carry i can.

anyways im thinking about a full sized, single stack .45 or double stack 9mm for downstairs and a 12 gage shotgun for upstairs. (bedrooms and office are upstairs)

both firearms will be hidden but easily accessible to both me and my GF. i will also go for a CCP eventually but wont be able to carry the firearm on my person or in my vehicle to work...

any brands to stay away from? ive heard rugars have mag problems and berettas can have the slides fail if you use high velocity ammo... stuff like that
saving the world, one warship at a time.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:16pm
Hm. I'm gonna have to check and see if Texas has an open carry/no permit needed law. You figure it would. I'd love to waltz into town with a single-action Colt .45 revolver strapped to my hip.

Edit: I would look into a Sig-Saur P228 (I think it's an 8, could be 6) in .357 Sig caliber. My uncle has one and swears by it. Bottle-necked bullets never jam, reliable safety and thumb decocker. Not to mention, it's got a decent ammo capacity.

Edited by DeTrevni - 05 April 2008 at 10:18pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:17pm
^ i thought it was a law you had to carry in TX?
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:18pm
Hah. Yeah. I'll get right on it!

Anyway, see my edit. Only problem with it is it's hard to find ammo.

oreomann33 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Can you say ... ZAZZy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oreomann33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:23pm
I didn't no about the VA policy, all this time I've been walking around unarmed.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:27pm
dont get the 357 sig for home defense.  the bullet has a pretty high velocity and is prone to overpenetrating, which sucks if there happens to be someone that you dont want to shoot nearby. 

springfield makes good 1911s, you can also look into S&W M&P in 40, 45, or 9.  sigs are always nice, as are glocks, springfields, HK, and CZ. you're really best off to go into the store and hold many different ones.
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:37pm
Shotguns are all you will ever need for Home Defence and you wont have to worry about stray rounds and all that Dry Walling fun.

Besides in most states if you had any exit to your home and you kill the intruder you can be brought up on Manslaugther charges. So put down the E-peen and before you ask gun advise from a Paintball Board. Do yourself a favor and go check with your local PD. Look at crime stats and their average response time.

If you still feed the need to arm yourself. Think logically unlike most Steven Segal Movies most burglars boogie when spotted, Home Invasions are diferent but those are mostly to Urban and Subburban areas near crime infested ghettos. Get a good ADT alarm with a LOUD Audiable Alarm. Make sure that you put up those dorky Stickers and Lawn signs. Theives will bypass the hassle of playing beat the cruiser. Make sure that you dont waste your time going nuts with lamo window sensors. A few well placed Motion Sensor will do you more good than Window Sensors.

Make sure that you lock your door and windows and that all your doors have deadbolt locks. Make sure that your sliders have bars so that the can jimmy the lock and gain entrance. Keep shrubery to a minimum and make sure that your perimeter is lines with Motion Sensor Flood Lights.
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:46pm
Seriously, don't get something unless you're willing to face the consequences it may bring (shotgun close range = likely death = likely manslaughter).  Grab a pistol and a good security system, and in a worst case scenario, shoot him in the knee.  It'll make you a shoe in for the BA of the week award, anyone can blast an intruder with a shotgun.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:51pm
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 10:53pm
Eville: Very valid point. I hadn't considered over penetration.

merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:01pm
-the house has an alarm system but it has window and door sensors. im sure we can add some motion sensors

-we have a small dog that will bark like crazy but isent a physical threat.

-flood lights if they arnt we will put them on the front, back, and side of the house. but we have a neighbor fairly close on the 4th side.

and while all of those are great precautions i would still be more comfortable with a firearm as a last resort. something to just hunker in the corner with and point at the door.

plus i would like to shoot every once in a while as a hobby.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Yomillio Yomillio wrote:

and in a worst case scenario, shoot him in the knee.

Not sure if he was joking or not, but just so it's clear- if you are using a firearm, it is deadly force. You don't even use a firearm unless you're willing to risk killing the person. A shot in the knee can still kill a person.

If you're using a firearm to defend yourself, your family, or your home it's because that's the last option you have, and if it's your last option, you don't screw around with that hollywood 'aim for the knee' crap. Always, ALWAYS fire centre of visible mass.

Whatever firearm you pick up, mount a decent flashlight on it.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:17pm
yeah mass if you kill intruder with a gun and he had knife you go to jail.

in mass you cant defend yourself.

sooo

get mace. lots of mace.

new hampshire is nicer. as long as you say you attempted to escape but feared so much for your life taht you had to kill them, and the intruder is physically in your house. and wasnt shot in the back you are safe.

but like EE said. its over kill. get a beanbag shotgun or something. or keep your paintball gun handy. that'll cause enough pain to make them stop if you keep shooting them in the face and what not.

or watch home alone. that kid was a genius at house security.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:24pm
indiana law says you dont have to attempt to retreat.  they threaten you, you kill them.  w00t.
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

yeah mass if you kill intruder with a gun and he had knife you go to jail.

in mass you cant defend yourself.

but like EE said. its over kill. get a beanbag shotgun or something. or keep your paintball gun handy. that'll cause enough pain to make them stop if you keep shooting them in the face and what not.

Actually if you are in a second story or have no escape route then you have every right to use the a reasonable ammount of force to defend yourself. If you are in the last bedroom and he's gone Jack in the Shining on you you can shoot and kill the intruder.

As for Mace in Mass... even that requires a "restricted version" of the FID card
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:31pm
if you are worried about break in and home invasion, look at a 12g shotgun.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

notXXscared View Drop Down

Strike 1, 8-21 Language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notXXscared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:38pm

Previously DYE PLAYA
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:42pm
Sounds like youre moving to Iraq.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:57pm
Owning a firearm for the purpose of defense is sketchy. I know most forumers won't agree with me though.

How do you know police response time is bad? I gurantee that in an emergency, they could have someone there in 5 minutes even in the middle of the night.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:00am
and i'd rather have a gun for those 5 minutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic