home defense question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: home defense question.
    Posted: 21 April 2008 at 7:29pm
Snake, why should it die if it still polite and reasonable? I'm pretty sure it is on it's way out now anyhow. Pretty much everything has been said.

KBK
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 2:56pm
normally my threads have 5 or 10 posts then die...

we dident end up getting the house we were looking at but we are still looking and im still considering a firearm (gf thinks its not necessary living in a condo.)
saving the world, one warship at a time.
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

BUMP

* Skillet has quit ([PaintballChat.Org] Local kill by Snake (STOP BUMPING THREADS GOD DAMN))
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:49pm
BUMP
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:46pm
Christ on a stick. This thread will not die.

Jesus Christ monkey balls.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Or, I could link you to a method of bailing out of a second story window that they taught us in fire school.

please do
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:25pm

[
On a home defense related note, I just found out that a convicted rapist was released from prison and now lives on my street. I knew the guy before he went to jail for sodomizing his daughter, and he was a scumbag then, and odds are, he's no prize now. Either way, I'd like my wife to be familiar with some of the more destructive members of my collection.
[/QUOTE]

My wife knows how to use everything I have because of the same reason, Family Watch warns me about new arrivals every week.

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:13pm
My friends parents recently put bars over His sisters window to prevent Her from sneaking out. 
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 1:09pm
If you've got more than one floor, barring the second story may not be necessary provided you don't leave ladders hanging around out in the open. You can buy evacuation ladders that you can escape out a second story window if necessary. Or, I could link you to a method of bailing out of a second story window that they taught us in fire school.

On a home defense related note, I just found out that a convicted rapist was released from prison and now lives on my street. I knew the guy before he went to jail for sodomizing his daughter, and he was a scumbag then, and odds are, he's no prize now. Either way, I'd like my wife to be familiar with some of the more destructive members of my collection.
?

merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 12:51pm
one thing i am paranoid about is fire. does having the bars on the doors and windows slow the process of getting out?

saving the world, one warship at a time.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 12:18pm
Thats a really good point. Because most of our houses are so equipped it's perfectly normal for people to to answer intercoms. The neighbours i invite over for braai's all answer the gate via the intercom and no hard feeling either way.

I do miss the sense of community unfenced properties encourages, and most new homes are built in housing complexes that have one point security at the access gate. But big child friendly gardens and nice large houses are mainly in older areas with fenced individual properties.

One of the sad things is our insurance companies all demand gates on all doors, bars on all windows and an alarm connected to a remote monitoring office and armed response. Otherwise no conver. The better ones offer good discounts on your rates and prices for the equipment. But none of them give any discount if you are actually trained to protect yourself.

I get a damn good discount on my motor insurance for having advanced driver courses up the ying yang, but nothing because i'm police level qualified on pistols rifles and shotguns. Go figure.

Infact i'm higher that Patrol, i'm Entry qualified on shotguns and rifles. Thats close to SWAT levels of proficiency, but not quite the same.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 8:19am

While I am obviously critical of the approach many Americans take to gun ownership, in their defense I must say that a RSA-style home is not really an option for most.  We all have to live within local parameters.

Many Americans rent, of course, and then you get what you get.  Only apartments in relatively dangerous neighborhoods will have grates anywhere, and there is likely to be an intercom only in urban neighborhoods, and even then not always.

As for homes, there are often strict ordinances regarding structures, as well as even stricter expectations.  Security walls are strictly prohibited in almost all suburban neighborhoods.  Putting grates on your doors/windows will ensure that nobody will invite you over for a barbecue.  The same goes if you consistently answer the door through the intercom.

Most safety-conscious behaviors in a normal safe neighborhood will be interpreted as rude, unfriendly, and just plain weird.

So most homeowners are left with a choice between increasing their protection against an unlikely home invasion, and alienating their actual neighbors.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 3:11am
not really. All the stuff on my house is easily available and for sale in the states.

I honestly believe that anyone who wants lethal force as part of their inventory owes it to themselves to make it as hard as is reasonably possible for some stranger to get into their house. It'll cost a little more than just buying the first handgun you come across, but it will prevent things like accidently shooting the neighbour who came home too drunk to recognise his own house.

Like i said a handfull of pages ago when Susan said many owner in the states take a jump from not locking their doors to buying a gun and missing every step in between, that is both suprising and wrong. And i do not advocate that at all. Especially in states with castle laws and no retreat clauses you need to make damn sure that anyone inside your house can only have gotten there by being invited, or having gone to a lot of effort to circumvent your preventative measures.

I do admit that I am exposed to security concerns more than your average American or Canadian but that doesn't mean they can't reach the same conclusions and make the same purchases. It is a little out the box, but it is completely logical when you think about it. You want protection from people coming inside your house? Have you done anything to prevent them? Can you install another buffer layer the make unauthorired access harder? Have you got anything warning you is they do get in so they can't suprise you? Is there some method of alerting the authorities?

Once you've made it as reasonably hard as you can for a badguy to be there, then start working on what to do if they get there anyway. Is your weapon effective? Is it reliable? Is it easy to use under stress? Can you identify your target? What are the dangers of using that weapon in your house?

This is where i'll happily admit there is some seperation from my advice and guys living elsewhere where houses are constructed differently. Even though i know many US houses are aluminium siding and dry wall construction, very few South African homes are built like that. Most of my interior walls are single brick and mortar, while some load bearing ones and all external walls are double layer.

I try to make allowances for that when i suggest house defence guns, but like it was shown, i was mistaken about the 223,s performance though drywall. Of course the same website that proved me wrong also said most handgun rounds and some shotgun rounds did the same thing as the 223,s so it is down to personal taste. I'm more confident of hits and first round stops with a rifle over pistols and shotguns.

It is relatively safe where i live. Crime is not endemic like in some countries, nor as rife as in the low cost housing areas. However that does not mean it'll never happen. It just means when it does, you end up suprised by it. The violence in home invasions is on the rise globally and locally it has sky rocketed. If you have female members of your family, you can more or less expect them to be raped, you can more or less expect to be assaulted, there is a chance they'll try murder you and it is definate they'll steal all your stuff.

Now the CHANCES of this happening are low, but it is like winning the Lottery. Your chances are low but if it does happen it ALL happens. I'll hedge my bets thanks. People buy multiple Lottery tickets don't they? I'll take multiple precautions from preventative measures to active resistance.

Ps my damn hard drive crashed last night, so i'm using my phone again. Please excuse any bad typing, predictive text typo's and the like.
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

However like I have said before, you can't end up inside my house by accident

Thus the disconnect between your situation and the advice you give, as compared to someone living in the United States.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Susan Storm Susan Storm wrote:

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Kayback: Protecting yourself from raptors or did you recently move to the ghettos of Somalia?

That kind of setup, with walls and door/window grates, is standard in large parts of the world.  We North America types are spoiled that way.

I am actually surprised he doesn't have spikes on top of his wall.  He must live in a nice part of town.

Oh crap, I forgot that he actually does live in South Africa.

(I thought it was relatively safe?)

<just say no to unnecessarily sexualized sigs>
ShortyBP View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

A G F Y

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortyBP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by phantomwes phantomwes wrote:

Could have ended this in the 2nd post , Va. is not a right to carry state. You have to get a Concealed Handgun Permit to carry.

Actually... no.

In VA, if you're 18 or over, you can OPEN carry... no permit required.

You need the CHP only for concealed carry.

Skipped the 13 pages prior to this... so won't bother jumping in on any of the discussion... but did feel the need to make this one correction.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 10:23am
Thanks Susan. Yeah it's typical for many places and like you said, i live in a good part of town. Most other houses have spikes, razor wire or electrified fencing on top of the walls.

IMHO those things aren't actually worth the expense, and they are overly ugly. I can live with a wall because it also adds to my privacy, but wire? No thanks.

However like I have said before, you can't end up inside my house by accident and you'd have to have gone to a lot of trouble getting in. In which case if you are inside and you are posing a threat I'll have no qualms pulling the trigger, I've done enough to keep you out. And because of our house construction I'd have no issues using a 223 or 30 carbine.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 10:09am

Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Kayback:

Protecting yourself from raptors or did you recently move to the ghettos of Somalia?

That kind of setup, with walls and door/window grates, is standard in large parts of the world.  We North America types are spoiled that way.

I am actually surprised he doesn't have spikes on top of his wall.  He must live in a nice part of town.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 2:15am
^^^ Somalian ghetto raptor zombie ninja pirates.
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 1:42am
Kayback:

Protecting yourself from raptors or did you recently move to the ghettos of Somalia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic