Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

home defense question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:34am
haha yeah EE you are dead on about the restricted FID card for mace. i just buy mine online, or in new hampshire. i should get that card though. and my class A our CCP. just to have it. i wont be getting a pistol though.i'd like a .22 rifle to play with.

get this weapon for home defense...
SPringfield Armory
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 10:19am

EvilElvis makes some great points here.  Here in Michigan if you shoot someone in self defense in your home there's a very high probability that you'll be prosecuted.

The first option is to run.

My buddy is looking into the Mossberg can thing for home defense for he and his wife.

He was one of those "no need to arm oneself" people until his neighborhood started getting break-ins.

Take an NRA firearms safety course from a reputable facility.  The low priced courses at our largest range is a 1 day joke program.  Look for a course that lasts a week or 2 and goes the extra mile by having speakers from the judicial system and full days dedicated to range time. 

It's probably very tough to find a good place to get a complete course.

I've found the "I've got a cop buddy that trains for CCW" are just get rich quick schemes.  Don't get me wrong, alot of those guys are my friends.

Edited by Lightningbolt - 06 April 2008 at 10:21am
Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 10:25am
Judging by most of your comments on the matter, I hope NONE of you own guns.

Don't need more idiots running around with them.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 11:04am
bolt would you care if i ran around with a gun? haha
.357 Magnum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested and IP banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .357 Magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 11:05am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

.357, that's the Springfield G.I.45 milspec, I know this as I own that very weapon.

Of course it's a .45 thats one of my favorite pistol rounds.... But it two will have no issue going through walls.
chaibill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaibill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 11:19am
Just Use a good security system.  Maybe set up some sort of "strong room" in your house.  Or set up your master bed room with a steel door that looks like wood.  If you have small children and they see you kill some one that might be really bad for them psychologically.  Maybe even your self.  And most burglars will come in when you are not home so they will take all your nice new guns and maybe kill some one with them at a later time.  And with that new idea to serial number stamp the cartage when fired you might be blamed in a civil case just for  owning a fire arm and letting it get stolen.  Then you can sew your security provider for not getting the police there fast enough and they can sew the police for not  responding fast enough.
P68
68 carbine
Viper M1
carl_the_sniper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - 7/29, Bad Linky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carl_the_sniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by chaibill chaibill wrote:

Just Use a good security system.  Maybe set up some sort of "strong room" in your house.  Or set up your master bed room with a steel door that looks like wood.  If you have small children and they see you kill some one that might be really bad for them psychologically.  Maybe even your self.  And most burglars will come in when you are not home so they will take all your nice new guns and maybe kill some one with them at a later time.  And with that new idea to serial number stamp the cartage when fired you might be blamed in a civil case just for  owning a fire arm and letting it get stolen.  Then you can sew your security provider for not getting the police there fast enough and they can sew the police for not  responding fast enough.
Exactly. For most people, there are better options than a gun.
brihard View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - Making stuff up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brihard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by carl_the_sniper carl_the_sniper wrote:

Originally posted by chaibill chaibill wrote:

Exactly. For most people, there are better options than a gun.

A gun should not be your one and only defencive measure in a house- but if everything else fails, it's the best last chance you have.
"Abortion is not "choice" in America. It is forced and the democrats are behind it, with the goal of eugenics at its foundation."

-FreeEnterprise, 21 April 2011.

Yup, he actually said that.
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by brihard brihard wrote:

A gun should not be your one and only defensive measure in a house-

Not just that, but a gun is by far one of the less effective measures of home defense when you compare it to other preventative measures. This is simply because there are few situations where a gun will really be the deciding factor. It is completely situational. It would have to be a case where you are on one end of your home, and you have enough time to retrieve your firearm and load it, and then properly use it.

While situations where this is the case could very well arise, there are a ton of preventive measures that are much, much better than simply relying on a firearm to keep a home safe.

Like EE said, a loud alarm system with plenty of notification of the alarm outside the house is key. Keeping it well lit on the outside with simple, cheap motion detection lights prevents invisible entry. Strong locks on doors and visable locks on windows makes forced entry harder.

All of those are by far more effective than a gun.

Not to mention, more burglaries occur when the house is empty than when the owners are home, which means those guns you are getting have a bad chance of winding up in the hands of criminals and perpetuating the gun problem in America.

If you are going to get a firearm for home defense, nothing is better than a basic pump-action shotgun. The one thing that a shotgun has going for it over a pistol is the sound effect. The cocking of a pump-action shotgun is usually going to be enough for an intruder to think "Hey, maybe this is not such a good idea."

Edited by Man Bites Dog - 06 April 2008 at 2:14pm
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 2:15pm
Which is why you lock them in a gun-safe that's bolted to the floor.
Man Bites Dog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
The forumer formely known as TKD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man Bites Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Bunkered Bunkered wrote:

Oh I agree completely. The problem is the amount of gun owners in America that actually do that.
Bunkered View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
What AM I smoking?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Man Bites Dog Man Bites Dog wrote:

Oh I agree completely. The problem is the amount of gun owners in America that actually do that.

Truf.

Dumbasses always ruin everything for the rest of us.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 2:40pm

Especially, ironically, with a shotgun.  Nothing says "not tonight, honey", like a giant shotgun-sized gun safe bolted to the floor in the bedroom.

Shotguns may be a great home-defense weapon, but I suspect that they are even more likely than handguns to be stored in either an inaccessible or unsafe manner.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 3:11pm
speaking of guns, i just got a call from my dad saying that my CCW permit came in last week!
¤ Råp¡Ð F¡rè ¤ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
This title is just way too old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ¤ Råp¡Ð F¡rè ¤ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 3:25pm
Where are you living? I live in a pretty bad area (family is trying to get out of here), and all we do is keep bats around; the guns stay locked up.

Also, I don't know what the laws are in your area, but in MO, you can only shoot and kill an intruder if they are still in your house. So the second they step out the door, don't shoot.

Bolt3 View Drop Down
What?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bolt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 3:57pm
Word.

A baseball bat is all you need.
<Removed sig for violation of Clause 4 of the New Sig Rules>
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 6:24pm

haha that what my cousin did for a while until he could afford a nice gun case to bolt to the floor. and now his wife doesnt know how many guns he has. he only keeps one pistol out of the case, thats in his night stand. other than that. everything is in his gun case, which holds like 18 weapons. and is full hahaha.
Susan Storm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Shot at Love Contestant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 7:32pm

Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

haha that what my cousin did for a while until he could afford a nice gun case to bolt to the floor. and now his wife doesnt know how many guns he has. he only keeps one pistol out of the case, thats in his night stand. other than that. everything is in his gun case, which holds like 18 weapons. and is full hahaha.

Translation:  Your cousin has unsafe gun ownership practices.

"No society can surely be flourishing and happy, of which the far greater part of the members are poor and miserable."
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:01pm
how is that unsafe ownership practices? he has a huge gun safe, fire proof and what not. bolted to the ground. prior to him having that, he had weapons throughout his home in various spots but that didnt last long, his wife didnt like it and thus he bought the massive gunsafe.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2008 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

if you are worried about break in and home invasion, look at moving

Fixed

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having it for home safety?
Que pasa?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic