Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

home defense question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
strike 1 4/20 faliure to follow sig rule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -ProDigY- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 10:58am
Jesus, you gun nuts are out of control.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 11:23am
Originally posted by -ProDigY- -ProDigY- wrote:

Jesus, you gun nuts are out of control.

Jesus isn't a gun nut.

Gosh darn, you anti-reliegious/anti-gun nuts are out of control.
reifidom View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Zatoichi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reifidom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 2:53pm
I keep a handgun in my bedroom. The clip is elsewhere in my bedroom. Neither are hidden in conventional places. I can have them both in my hand, together, and ready to fire inside of fifteen seconds. No kids in the house, and we never have unattended guests.

If the need arises and I can't comfortably reach the gun and have it ready to go, I have no intention of indicating I even have one rather than elevating the situation. If it's to be lethal force I want to be the one to initiate it and without warning. If the outcome isn't as certain as I'm comfortable with then playing along is the best bet.

I've had it out twice, both after hearing strange noises from the main floor. Both turned out to be nothing, but I did have a stranger come to our house shortly after we moved in and ring the bell, then, as I approached the door on the tile floor he quickly walked away and wouldn't answer my calls. It's hard to see if we're home from the front of the house as most of our interior living space is towards the back. I had the impression the guy was casing the house, trying to see if anybody would answer the door or if it was clear to come back.

My layout is such that the only practical place to break in without an extension ladder would be the main floor or garage and with even slight warning I can have the pistol ready to go and be above and behind anybody coming up toward the bedrooms with a clear line of sight of the front door, foyer, and the entire upper hall.

Edited by reifidom - 08 April 2008 at 2:57pm

jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

if you are worried about break in and home invasion, look at moving

Fixed

"Fixed"?? and why did you replace what I had said with "Moving"?  Please enlighten me.

That does not seem so hard to understand, but whatever.
Que pasa?

Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:12pm
Because you have no clue, do you?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:13pm
please explain. maybe just maybe I'll understand your view.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:15pm
If he is worried about a break in, he should move.
Que pasa?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:18pm
AHHHH! So crime does not follow you if you move to a "safer" neighborhood.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:18pm
I'll explain for him.  The concept is actually quite simple.  If you live someplace where you feel endangered you should pack up your stuff and go elsewhere.  It is up to you suffer the inconvenience of dislocating your family because the rights of the folks endangering you to not be shot by an irate homeowner while committing a felony take precedence over the rights of homeowner's to protect themselves and their families.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:21pm
So moving to a better neighborhood means no crime??
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

I'll explain for him.  The concept is actually quite simple.  If you live someplace where you feel endangered you should pack up your stuff and go elsewhere.  It is up to you suffer the inconvenience of dislocating your family because the rights of the folks endangering you to not be shot by an irate homeowner while committing a felony take precedence over the rights of homeowner's to protect themselves and their families.

Yeah, pretty much. I know you aren't agreeing though.
Que pasa?

Da Hui View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Guested, 9/13 Inappropiate post content

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da Hui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:25pm
Haven't had any use for it other than target shooting. I hope that doesn't ever change.

Ruger Security-Six .357 Magnum

Edit: Its kept in an safe place. No little kid or guest to our house would ever find it or even be able to get it. Kept locked and secure.

Edited by Da Hui - 08 April 2008 at 3:28pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:33pm
Yes, because no matter where you go, crime is going to be there in one form or another. if someone wants to break into your home for whatever it is to steal what you have, they are going to do it.  Safe, secure neighborhoods don't exist. The only thing that makes neighborhoods safe are your neighbors watching out for you as well as you watching out for them.  Where I live on Long Island, we have the east coast Beverely Hills, The Hamptons. a Bucks Deluxe neighborhood.  Scum from the south shore and points west, still go to the Hamptons and do house break ins/home invasions all of the time in secure neighborhoods.  Why move? be aware and alert and watch out for your neighbor because they will watch out for you.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:36pm

Because it's my fault I have nice things in my house that people will want to steal.

Moving isn't always an option. With the house prices where I live there isn't any possibility for me getting a 3 bedroom, two bathroom house with a garden for anything near an affordable price. We've been here for years. We bought when the land prices were low, they are now sky high. A flat, FLAT that's two bedrooms, one bathroom, no garage is roughly the same price as we paid for this house. I can't afford to go elsewhere.

Other people are in similar situations. Add onto that I have to live within easy travelling distance of my place of work, and because I work such odd hours there is no chance of taking public transport, I can't relocate.

Besides, this is my home. Why should I give it up?

I live in a nice safe, low crime area. However these are the sort of places that have home invasions with rape and murder. The chances of it happening are low, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

And I'm going to do everything in my power to fight it if it does happen.

So "moving" is pretty much a bloody stupid thing to say.

KBK
X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:37pm
I have to agree with ceesmen on this one, packing your stuff and hightailing it out of there doesn't mean that your destination is a utopia. Sterling Heights was voted in the top five safest cities in the nation a couple years back and still we managed to have a police killing occur later that very year.  
Once we clued in on the fact that life is finite, the thought of losing it didn't scare us anymore. The end comes no matter what, all that matters is how you wanna go out, on your feet or your knees?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:39pm
Thank You Kay, well put.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

X-51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote X-51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:40pm

Kayback are you british?

Edited by X-51 - 08 April 2008 at 3:40pm
Once we clued in on the fact that life is finite, the thought of losing it didn't scare us anymore. The end comes no matter what, all that matters is how you wanna go out, on your feet or your knees?
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:43pm

I take it I didn't disguise my sarcasm well? 
merc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
American Scotchy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 3:46pm
ive been reading along getting ideas just not posting.

sounds like il be getting a 12 guage or maybe a 410 and a 9mm or .45 pistol (after i go shoot a bunch and see which one i like best.)

the neighborhood im moving too is a VERY nice neighborhood.

i dont have to be afraid of drug dealers or "ghetto folk" like a few of the other neighborhoods we looked at.

in a neighborhood where the houses range from 150k-220k drug dealers and random crime can be a threat. (violent crimes outside the home)

in a neighborhood where the houses range from 300k-700k+ im more afraid of someone braking in.
saving the world, one warship at a time.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 4:13pm
First off, I wasn't being serious at all when I first posted it.

Second, Kay you said that you live in a safe, low crime area. If you live in a safe low crime area then why would you fell the need to  arm yourself in case of a possible break in? I will look at statistics right now, but I'm willing to bet that most break ins occur when the homeowners are away. If you seriously feel there is a high chance of someone breaking into your home, or a high rate of crime then you should look into moving due to your own safety.

I'm also willing to bet that most people breaking in aren't armed. They will probably also run at the sight of you, never mind the gun.

Not to mention, if you are all safe gun owners like you claim to be then your guns will be locked in a safe, unloaded, and possibly a trigger lock. If someone broke into your home with intent to harm do you really think you would get your gun ready to shoot fast enough? They would probably get in silently and be in your room before you knew it.
Que pasa?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
  Share Topic