Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stealth Modded Hoppers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: How integral would this gear be in your style of play?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [36.67%]
16 [26.67%]
3 [5.00%]
5 [8.33%]
14 [23.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2008 at 5:13pm
Got mine in the mail today - a big surprise considering it was shipped out Saturday.  Hell, it was faster than something I had in state shipped to me via priority last week.

Anyways, I figured I'd put this up for you guys.  I applied it and have my hopper ready to go, ready for my friend to play with this weekend (since he is the one with the A5, not me).  We have a big senario on Saturday, and after playing I'll post up his review and my review of how it held up.  For now, we have my initial thoughts.  I apologize in advance for some poor pictures.

Horray! Stock A-5 hopper I had laying around:

Poof, taken apart:

Cleaning it up really good with soap and water so the adhesive sticks well:

Taking a look at the whole kit and seeing how it fits in before applying:

First two large pieces in:

First side done:

Second done:

Again, hopper.  Unsuspecting to those who don't know:

I found very little wrong with the actual installation.  As you may see, the first side I put together had some pretty large gaps, but none that should be big enough to allow the arc of a ball to enter so functionality wasn't compromised here.  Once I got a hang of how to apply them best and where to put them for ideal placement, the second side came out much better with smaller gaps and a cleaner look.  The only way I could really see anything here improving is making a numbered diagram and putting numbers on the back of the pieces for ease of application, but the average user should have no problem figuring out what goes where.  I didn't.

After all was said and done, I did a little bit of home testing.  First, I checked the new capacity of it, and measured it out to be about 175 balls.  A little reduced, but nothing serious.  It really doesn't matter all too much - it still holds more than a pod.

Second, I checked how well the sound-deadening worked by putting about 40 balls in and shaking it around.  The sound is greatly reduced (and when I say greatly, I do mean it).  The only time I could ever hear a ball is when one hit either the lid or the collar area with no foam (the part that actually goes into the Cyclone.  Because it will be in the Cyclone feed when playing, you probably won't hear the balls hitting against it as prevalently as I did just shaking it around).  You could also hear the balls hitting the uncovered areas where the screws actually screw into the hopper.  It wasn't too obvious, but it was still there.  Both the lid and these areas could be fixed with more foam - a circle to cover the lid (it could be an option, as some will probably still want to have semi-visibility through their lid) and maybe some small pieces to cover the screw area.

I'm pretty sure that covers everything I wanted to say.  Overall, it seems like a solidly functioning and easy to apply kit.  We'll get the full review this weekend as well as how the kit held up after a day of hard playing.
ctchofday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 language strike, 2/28/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctchofday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 9:19pm
ive never really though of it, but i'll take one for the A-5 if you still have any openings.
Xbl:PhantomReign97

'99 Snpr II, ½d Karni, E-Orracle, 2k4 Spstk, 2k5 Prstk, PMR SE, A5, 98
techietaichi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 1:52am
Hey there ctchofday. I do have one final opening for the A5, but someone's already contacted me about it, so their participation is pending. If it falls through I'll let you know and you can step up. Do understand however, that I want an honest review about this item to be posted here for others to read and for me to make improvements to my idea if need be. That's my fee. I'll let you know what happens man.

Edited by techietaichi - 06 June 2008 at 2:01am
hobohunter23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobohunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 3:09pm
How much are you planning on selling these for? I might buy one on ebay in the summer when im back in canada, because im a bit of a newbie, so I wouldn't have a very good review.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 3:41pm
That really hasn't been on my mind. First I want to see what people have to say about it. I have to get opinions before I get coin. Right now, I'm just having fun experimenting. Btw, what's your guys take on sound proofing the lid as well? I think I'm headed that way.
kurieitaa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurieitaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 3:58pm

Originally posted by techietaichi techietaichi wrote:

Btw, what's your guys take on sound proofing the lid as well? I think I'm headed that way.

i think it should be in the templates tho, that will have to be up to the person putting it on the hopper.

ctchofday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
1 language strike, 2/28/10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctchofday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 7:08pm

Hey there ctchofday. I do have one final opening for the A5, but someone's already contacted me about it, so their participation is pending. If it falls through I'll let you know and you can step up. Do understand however, that I want an honest review about this item to be posted here for others to read and for me to make improvements to my idea if need be. That's my fee. I'll let you know what happens man.

cool thanks
Xbl:PhantomReign97

'99 Snpr II, ½d Karni, E-Orracle, 2k4 Spstk, 2k5 Prstk, PMR SE, A5, 98
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2008 at 10:25pm

That really hasn't been on my mind. First I want to see what people have to say about it. I have to get opinions before I get coin. Right now, I'm just having fun experimenting. Btw, what's your guys take on sound proofing the lid as well? I think I'm headed that way.

I still need to get my ambiance down in order to justify a proper sound test. Tat pretty much means shutting down my aquarium for a while
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 10:29am

As I did, yesterday my friend also noted the lacking of padding on the lid.  He said whatever gains were made were sort of negated by having an unpadded lid.

Anyways, I'll be sure to get on the review today and try to get his by the end of the week.  He isn't the easiest person in the world to contact.
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 3:30pm
Review on X7 pads:

They took a few minutes to figure out how to install them, but not a whole lot of effort. I did it while I was watching Jeff Dunham, so I was fairly distracted and still managed get them installed correctly.

Note: make sure that your hopper halves are clean and dry, or the sticky side will not adhere to the plastic. I had an issue with one of the thin pads that go up near the lid because I didn't dry it properly.

The pads line up nicely together, and after dumping a pod of paint into the reassembled hopper, the rattle factor was cut down significantly. Not completely, but significantly. I was impressed. The 'noise points' were the protruding tubes where the screws connect the two halves, and the inside of the lid. I'm not too concerned with any of that however, since it wasn't all that bad- some may choose to put a pad on the inside of the hopper lid, it didn't matter that much to me.

All in all, I like it. It doesn't cut down the capacity of the hopper enough for me to get excited about, and it limits my ball rattle quite nicely. Well done. The template was perfect by the way, no tweaks or adjustments are necessary for the X7 hopper.

?

im_new View Drop Down

Guested, language

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im_new Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 3:45pm
techie, your pieces are a lot cleaner than borgs. what kind of material are you using?? size, and cost?? and where did you pick it up at??

Edited by im_new - 10 June 2008 at 3:52pm
XtremeBordom View Drop Down
Guested - language.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XtremeBordom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 12:18pm
Is the X7 hopper cut outs the stealth hopper cut outs? I mean the X7 stealthy look hopper.
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 12:22pm

Got mine in the mail yesterday, plan on doing lots of testing over the weekend. Just to get the full picture I plan on using the normal hopper filled at different levels, full, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 to see the effect on the regular hopper, then trying it with the Stealth version. Also testing it at different running speeds, jumping, etc. I'd do this now but this [very bad word] heat wave is a killer.

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2008 at 10:19pm
I'm pleased. The hopper reviews thus far go well and I'm glad it is. I'm looking forward to the others and hope they're similar. I was thinking about a simple design for the lid today and have come up with one that I think is pretty viable. kurieitaa mentioned that it should at least be included as an option, and I have to agree. Those that have come aboard will be the first to get them as well so I'll let you know. Ok, now to answer some questions.

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Hey Techie, I would be interested in one of the R5's when you finish 'em.

I haven't forgotten about you oldpnoob, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Hell, I use an R5 and I don't even have my own mod in it. DOH!

Originally posted by ctchofday ctchofday wrote:

I've never really thought of it, but I'll take one for the A-5 if you still have any openings.

Hey there ctchofday. I do have one final opening for the A5, but someone's already contacted me about it, so their participation is pending. If it falls through I'll let you know and you can step up.

The other guy's out ctchofday, you're in. PM me the address to send it to and I'll have it out Saturday. I look forward to your review and thanks pal.

Originally posted by The Guy The Guy wrote:

I still need to get my ambiance down in order to justify a proper sound test. That pretty much means shutting down my aquarium for a while.

How goes that project?

Originally posted by im_new im_new wrote:

techie, your pieces are a lot cleaner than borgs. What kind of material are you using?? Size, and cost?? and where did you pick it up at??

Thanks for the comment im_new. I mentioned the material I'm using once in this thread. As far as size, cost and where I acquired it from? I'm going with 'trade secret' for now. Makes it more fun for you when you finally solve the puzzle.

Originally posted by XtremeBordom XtremeBordom wrote:

Is the X7 hopper cut outs the stealth hopper cut outs? I mean the X7 stealthy look hopper?

BAM!

And one last thing, I look forward to your upcoming review as well Nagash1959 and like I mentioned to The Guy, give it a good run-through.

Edited by techietaichi - 11 July 2008 at 1:16pm
Nagash1959 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nagash1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:38pm

My I guess you'd call it "control" testing is going to be sunday morning, with sunday afternoon being testing during actual woods gaming. Can't wait to see the in-game effect.

98 Custom
Cyclone
Double E-Trigger
Polished Internals
Freak kit
X-chamber
CP Drop w/On/Off
Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 6:33pm
The padding on the inside of my hopper really helped me stay quiet when I was sneaking around in the woods. Except for the occasional rattling of against the lid of the hopper it was silent. When i was playing paintball a little while later with my old hopper I really noticed how loud I sounded without the additional padding. I don't think I'll ever go back to the stock hopper. -Matt

Also, after the game inspection turned up well.  The padding held up fine to the oils and crap of paintballs, with no real difference or irregularity in texture and the pieces stayed in place no problem.  Seems like you may be on to something Techie.
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 6:54pm
hey were you gunna do a gravity feed set?? if so do you need pepole to test it?? if so im in.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 8:39pm
I plan on doing a Revvy, soon as I do my R5. Hell, I might as well do my Ricochet tonight.
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2008 at 8:45pm
ok so no gravity feed??
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Gold Member
Gold Member
Proud American

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techietaichi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2008 at 1:22am
Hey guys. Well, I didn't do my R5, but I did cut the template for the lid and WOW, that does make a difference! I tried cutting a few designs too, but you know what? I figure I'll just include it and let the player cut whatever design they like, if that's what they want to do. On the other hand they can leave it be if they desire full coverage and to be honest, I just shake my marker and feel for the vibration to know whether I need to re-load or not, so full coverage for me.

This is what will be included, just plain old circles.

Of the different designs I was fooling around with, I found this "Pac-Man" pattern to be my favorite.

The smoke colored lid however, really puts a damper on visuals.

So, those of you participants that would like the lid pad, shoot me a PM with the address to send to and I'll get it out. For the rest of you that would like to come aboard and try this Hopper Mod, the lid's included now. There is currently 1 spot for the A5 mod and 4 spots for the X7. If you agree to my 'fee' mentioned in the early part of this thread, PM me and let's see what we can do. Those of you with R5's, be ready. I will have it done by Saturday and 'oldpnoob', you're R5 pattern's already reserved.

Edited by techietaichi - 11 July 2008 at 1:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic