Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > New Player Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tippmann pistol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notom66866 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

Originally posted by notom66866 notom66866 wrote:

Why in the world would they not put the c02 in the magazine? If you look at the picture of it there's no obvious bulge where a c02 cartridge would go. This could be one huge pistol.

So they can fit more balls in the mag.

How? Are they going to double stack the balls like 9mm rounds?

Skeletor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeletor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 5:18pm

Why in the world would they not put the c02 in the magazine? If you look at the picture of it there's no obvious bulge where a c02 cartridge would go. This could be one huge pistol.

For a few reasons

1.)Prevents having to reload the mag with balls on the field

2.)Would make for a simpler mag design making production costs cheaper which could potential keep the cost of extra mags down

3.)You would be able to reload air independently of ammo

4.)Keeping the seal tight on the co2 cartridge could increase the number of shoots/ cartridge.

For people worried about weight and size you have to think about if you want a durable pistol that will last and take a beating you are going to have to sacrifice convenience.   As long as it fits in a holster I’ll be happy

Edited by Skeletor - 30 September 2008 at 5:19pm
Monk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 1:28am

Originally posted by Monk Monk wrote:

So they can fit more balls in the mag.

How? Are they going to double stack the balls like 9mm rounds?

Current Tiberius style mag the balls go straight in line. If you were to use the area that the 12 gram goes, you cant have the balls curve up into a "U" shape thus increasing the amount of balls in a mag.
KSTIPPHEAD View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSTIPPHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2008 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

Basically:
The CO2 will not be located in the magazine, which means there is only one other place it could go. (Of course he means under the barrel, but he couldn't directly say that.)

Well, that's not necessarily true.  If the magazine is essentially a spring-loaded tube containing the paintballs, there would be no need for it to be particularly bulky.  Therefore, the CO2 cartridge could fit in an in-grip chamber either behind or in front of the paintball magazine.

If this marker turns out to be another <poopy> triple stack, I may have to shoot someone with my real gun.

Edited by Rambino - 03 October 2008 at 6:48pm
Snake6 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Outranked by guitarguy?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snake6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2008 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by KSTIPPHEAD KSTIPPHEAD wrote:

Originally posted by Snake6 Snake6 wrote:

Basically:
The CO2 will not be located in the magazine, which means there is only one other place it could go. (Of course he means under the barrel, but he couldn't directly say that.)

Well, that's not necessarily true.  If the magazine is essentially a spring-loaded tube containing the paintballs, there would be no need for it to be particularly bulky.  Therefore, the CO2 cartridge could fit in an in-grip chamber either behind or in front of the paintball magazine.

If this marker turns out to be another <poopy> triple stack, I may have to shoot someone with my real gun.

The CO2 will not be in the grip.
KSTIPPHEAD View Drop Down
Strike 1 - Language, 10/3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KSTIPPHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2008 at 7:14pm
I'm just sayin' it could have been.  I have no idea what the thing's actually gonna' look like...  I'm just bored.
AgentSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2008 at 8:09pm

Hello folks!

I've been very interested in this pistol since I first heard about it.  As someone who has been playing pistol since the 3357 came out, I've also been waiting for someone to give me something I could work with.  This seems like it and though I will skip the trenchcoat I will also be wearing a pair of these as soon as possible.

I use a totally modified Miltec G2 with a TAG8 as a sidearm to it.  This is the best kit I've found currently for my style of play(any mode, any ROF).  With the G2 I've done some silly tricks like shoot 600 rounds as a field commander in an SPPL finals game(I was elimed once in that 1 hour game, but look at the pile of empties in front of my knees):

A few things I wanted to add: when you fire a TAG8 and it recocks, it charges the valve.  Ejecting the mag empties the valve, so in fact you lose exactly 1 shot ejecting the mag of a TAG8.  Mine gets 3 full mags in normal weather.  My Miltec G2 does better than that, even working pretty good in the snow, though both guns are modified inside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgWcaQZV0Gw

I had to rework the co2 plug to have more dish, as the last co2 loaded slightly crooked and leaked a bit, this was just a vid to show folks the loading method for my pistol, when I first redid the Miltec to match my original Armotech Zeus G2.

The biggest killer, besides the shootdown, for the tag for me is that the noise of ejecting the mags is a death sentence if someone who knows the sound is within earshot.  At Hell Survivors in Michigan, that sound will get you three Mercenaries in your lap and me in your back pocket.

The flaw with my Miltec is that whether you load it at the back or in the top front as I do, you have to mess with the top of the gun.  This means taking my sights off my opponents and that occasionaly gets me shot, now with a silent gripfed magazine in a Tippy pistol...  People are going to HATE me

Glad to meet those of you that I haven't met around the web and glad to finally be able to carry a Tippmann(Soon!)

Rob

Skeletor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skeletor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 12:33am
Nice vid smith!!

Seems like you only real bottle neck is the twist off cap of the CO2 cartage.

Imagine if you could just pump the bottom to eject it an reload another quck.

I hope the tipmann is something similar
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 1:15am
Hey, Rob! ^ That guy's the reason I bought MY G1! 
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2008 at 9:42am

Hey DeTrevni!

Good to read a familiar face

That would be nice Skeletor, My solution was to use the camlock from the dropout of the old Nelson Challenger as part of a co2 plug:

This is a 1/4 turn camlock, VERY fast.  Though I left that off my new Miltec when I replaced my old Armotech G2.  For sheer dependability, the screw is tops, especially because it's Bottle threads!  Any ASA plug or remote adapter will work on a Miltec(not a Warsensor).  That video is super slow demonstration speed, I can change a co2 in the time it takes me to spin behind a standup can and come out the other side. .

Rob

Mayvik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mayvik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 7:05pm
Aside from heavily modified guns (like AgentSmith's), Nelsons, or possibly 3357s (never tested it but I assume they get more shots due to less air being required to shoot the smaller balls), the T8 is the most efficient pistol I've used, easily getting 3+ mags of paint for each 12ie.  Yes, you lose a little gas when you eject the mag, but (assuming you can afford multiple mags) you also never have to spend several seconds to change out your 12 gram.   With unlimited funds, I'd say a 10 round Squall or 8 round PGP Stroker is the best overall pistol available, but IMO a T8 setup with 5 mags, about $450, blows the Sydarm and other "lesser" guns out of the water in terms of efficiency, consistency, balance, and speed.

For reference, I own 2 Squalls, a PGP Stroker, 2 3357s, a Rapide, a Sydarm, 2 Sidekicks, and a T8.  I never bothered with any of the STBB pistols because they frankly kinda bore me and have never been reported to be very good without significant work going into them anyway.  I'll probably pick up one (or two!) of the new Tippy guns as long as it's got something that clearly distances it from a T8, just because I'm a pistol whore, but if it's a $250 T8 with the gas under the barrel instead of in the mag, I probably won't bother.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 8:15pm
Mayvik,

How do your Sidekicks perform?  I tried one but returned it because the velocity varied so badly (over 100 fps) between shots.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 11:34pm
Gah! We're being invaded by MCB'ers! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2008 at 9:24am

You should have known that was inevitable once Tippmann started making a pistol, DeTrevni!

My use of pistols is unlike anybody else I've ever come into contact with, so I'm used to my 'ratings' of the various models being vastly different.

It's my opinion that since a $100 miltec or warsensor loads exactly in game like a $500 stroker or $700 Squall, there is NO difference between the two guns except money. I say that as someone who has owned both a stroker and a warsensor.  I am a fanatic for function not form.  I wouldn't deny that you need to be at least half an airsmith to keep a JABB running, but I would say that if you're someone who shoots a bag of paint in six 15 minute games, you need to be that with a stroker too...

It works for me like this:

People don't get rolled while reloading a regular marker because it's always a fraction of a second from fireability.

If you can reload so fast that no one can move on you, then it doesn't matter if you reload every ten minutes or ten seconds-they can't move on you.    At that point extra ammo in your gun is only extra weight.

So by staggering the load of paint and co2 and reducing the time spent reloading each thing as much as possible, I am able to do with my pistol ANYTHING I could do with a regular marker, including going 4 SmartCorps eliminations to 2 hits in an SPPL game while shooting a certain Mr. Gardner in the head from over 100' away. We still lost 149-40. Man, are they good!

I play at HS every weekend I can, averaging 30 or so days a year, but all in open class or the big games, any mode of fire-any rate of fire.  If you're going to run out on the field at HS with a pistol, you better mean it, because you will be an instant and high priority target, I've become a bit of a trophy, even playing one of the bunnies to get swarmed 10 to 1 on easter!

As well as being chosen to be the pilot for our 'BlackHawk Down' at the Day of the Rangers 12 hr scenario.  Despite the teams being 125 'Rangers' to 415 'Somalis', I changed history and successfully got my crew and myself back to safety.  A good pistol is a help not a handicap!

I agree with Mayvik that, unmodified, the TAG8 is the best of the stock pistols, but I see that as a sad indictment of all the companies who've pretended to make usable pistols.  Even my TAG8 is modified and BETTER for it.

I used 3357s from when they came out in 87 to 2002, modified of course, as I tend to stop at the grinder on the way in from the mailbox, I had aluminum cylinders milled for me and a steel pawl(that turns the cylinder) and a steel barrel that I flexhoned with a .50 cal flexhone.  I had a bunch over the years to keep 2 running. When I played at commercial fields(FPO) I'd use my sheridan P68SC.  This often rides at my right hip(left hip is always my crossdraw G2) when I'm not wearing my tag as a sidearm, I have a Cooper-T undershot bolt in it and it really whizzes em! 

An airsmith on MCB is currently recreating the aluminum cylinders and steel pawl.  If you love the 3357s let me tell you, this will turn what you've got into a whole new gun!!! 

This is all why I'm excited about the layout of the new Tippmann gun.  For working in a tight bunker with the gun against your chest, this is the most logical layout.

Rob

Edited by AgentSmith - 11 October 2008 at 10:18am
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 4:51am

Well I'm going to have to chime in here myself. This is kinda OT, and kinda not. I went out today with 5 markers: A PPS Hurricane, a Shocker 4x4 Sport Turbo, a pump Rainmaker, a VLM 'cocker and my PGP. The Hurc was as stubborn as a mule, my Shocker leaked like a sieve, my Rainmaker wouldn't chrono under 450 and I had no microline for my VLM's pneus. So I pulled out the K-Framed PGP.

I had one of my best days with that little bugger.

Aside from it being the only one to actually work for me, it forced me to learn a new style of play then and there, as this was the first time I've really played stock class or pistol (I haven't had a chance to pull out the G1 yet, despite me having it for a few months...). I was able to move faster and more comfortably with the 10 rd. tubes and 12g's over pods and constant air. The size of the marker made it vastly more manageable on the field, and the K-Frame made it very comfortable for me to hold.

I'm eagerly awaiting they Tippy pistol's release, but be that as it may, I don't know if I'll be able to put the PGP down long enough for me to try any other pistols. Between the "oohs" and "ahhs" and the "OMG ur using a pistol!!1??!" I think I may have found my new style of play. I still need to mod the G1 and see what happens when I try semi.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 8:56am

My offer of swapping you mags still stands!

I feel the same rush still after all these years, DeTrevni.  Nothing like starting a game with 10 balls in your gun!

I also have to add that I haven't been shot in the hopper in 23 years of playing paintball

Never using one will do that...

Rob

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by AgentSmith AgentSmith wrote:

I also have to add that I haven't been shot in the hopper in 23 years of playing paintball

Never using one will do that...

Another amusing benefit of running with limited ammo (that I learned from using my Phantom) is the look of confusion on the faces of individuals using electros and shooting streams when they ask if you have an extra pod and you toss them a 10 round tube. 

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 8:49pm

Rob, I'll drop ya a line on MCB!

ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2008 at 8:51pm
so, annyone have anny new info on this? or are they still holding out on us?
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by ammolord ammolord wrote:

so, annyone have anny new info on this? or are they still holding out on us?

No, they sent e-mails to all the popular forum members telling us all about it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic