Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medical Marijuana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 6:39pm
50 dollar tax an ounce isn't really that bad. Isn't that only like a little over five bucks more for a gram?

Edited by TheDude - 31 March 2009 at 6:39pm
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata

<keep the sigs friendly, please>
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by TheDude TheDude wrote:

50 dollar tax an ounce isn't really that bad. Isn't that only like a little over five bucks more for a gram?

1 ounce = 28 grams.
$50 divided by 28 = 1.78
So yeah, worst case scenario, it goes up by $2 per gram. That's $12 extra per quarter, if thats any easier

That's really not that bad, especially for the convenience associated with it being legal/ sold in stores.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 8:39pm
or $4 a gram if you go by the $98 oregon wanted to do if they grew their own.
Que pasa?

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 9:31pm
You just KNOW that if they choose to tax marijuana that someone will have a hissy fit saying they are taxing it too high for the poor smokers.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

You just KNOW that if they choose to tax marijuana that someone will have a hissy fit saying they are taxing it too high for the poor smokers.

Yeah, of course people would whine, but people whine about tobacco and alcohol tax, so why not? What's wrong with whining, that's all half of this forum does anyways.
TheDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 9:52pm
Post deleted because I can't play nice with others.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 01 April 2009 at 6:39am
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata

<keep the sigs friendly, please>
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:07pm

They make cheap wine and cigarettes. God knows there's a marijuana equivalent to boxed wine and rolling tobacco.I find it amazing how you continue to pass judgment on things you know such little about, Linus.Idiot.

So much for this thread being civil with only grownups partaking in it.

Edited by Linus - 31 March 2009 at 10:08pm

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:34pm
I was going to say something, but I couldn't think of something that wouldn't make it look like I was on your side
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:37pm

They make cheap wine and cigarettes. God knows there's a marijuana equivalent to boxed wine and rolling tobacco.I find it amazing how you continue to pass judgment on things you know such little about, Linus.Idiot.

Do all grownups spew their ill-informed opinions too?
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:41pm
Come on man.... Now thats exactly how to get this locked. Unnecessary roughness.

Edited by choopie911 - 31 March 2009 at 10:42pm
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

Come on man.... Now thats exactly how to get this locked. Unnecessary roughness.

This whole thread has been full of people bashing the concept of marijuana being legal mainly due to it's legality when they have even not the slightest clue as to why it's illegal.  I find that to be quite ill-informed, or ignorant, if you will.

If those against the thought of legalizing marijuana were actually to learn as to why it's illegal, or even more about the drug than what has been taught to them in highschool health classes, maybe this would get somewhere.

I'm all for arguing as to whether or not it should be legal, but when the other half doesn't even know what they're talking about it gets pretty redundant and asinine.

Edited by Glassjaw - 31 March 2009 at 10:45pm
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:46pm

I was going to say something, but I couldn't think of something that wouldn't make it look like I was on your side

C'mon, tell me how you REALLY feel about me!   

Originally posted by Glassjaw Glassjaw wrote:

This whole thread has been full of people bashing the concept of marijuana being legal mainly due to it's legality when they have even not the slightest clue as to why it's illegal. I find that to be quite ill-informed, or ignorant, if you will.

As is people bashing people for their beliefs. Whether you agree with them or not doesn't matter, the minute you do a personal attack, when no one else in 15 pages had, YOU are the wrong one. Bashing a concept is not the same as bashing a person.

Edited by Linus - 31 March 2009 at 10:47pm

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:49pm

C'mon, tell me how you REALLY feel about me!   

Originally posted by Glassjaw Glassjaw wrote:

This whole thread has been full of people bashing the concept of marijuana being legal mainly due to it's legality when they have even not the slightest clue as to why it's illegal. I find that to be quite ill-informed, or ignorant, if you will.

As is people bashing people for their beliefs. Whether you agree with them or not doesn't matter, the minute you do a personal attack, when no one else in 15 pages had, YOU are the wrong one. Bashing a concept is not the same as bashing a person.

And what do you call that?  Let me guess, not a personal attack.  Linus, I'm fine with other's having their own beliefs.  But please at least be informed about the subject being argued.  If you don't want it to be legal, that's all fine and dandy.  But why?  Why shouldn't it be?  I haven't seen many, if any at all, legitimate reasons as to why it shouldn't be.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:54pm
Alright, a very very valid point has been brought to the table. I call a time out for Linus to watch either Grass, or The Union, or both. Ladies choice

That will even the playing field. Linus, feel free to submit a documentary for the other side to watch too.
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 10:57pm

Alright, a very very valid point has been brought to the table. I call a time out for Linus to watch either Grass, or The Union, or both. Ladies choice

That will even the playing field. Linus, feel free to submit a documentary for the other side to watch too.

National Geographic's Marijuana Nation is also a very good documentary.  I must say, the ending to Marijuana Nation was...well, very legitimate.  The final quote, that is.

They all essentially give the same information, The Union focuses a little more on the dealer's perspective though it seems.

Edited by Glassjaw - 31 March 2009 at 10:59pm
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:00pm
What do I call that? I call calling an immature person out on his rudeness.

Here's the thing;

Just because you don't agree with my view does not mean I'm uninformed on the subject matter.

In a perfect world, I need not give a basis for my reason for it to be illegal. If my view is it should be, that should be sufficient for my opinion. I'm not a lawyer, I don't have to state why, just so.

In reality, you need a "legit basis" so you can argue it to your hearts content.

As I have stated, I'm not against medicinal marijuana, but there ARE legal alternatives. What I am against is recreational use of marijuana. It takes 4 seconds from the first puff for it to take effect on the users brain.. alcohol is much longer then that. Marijuana impairs judgment, same as alchol. Marijuana causes damage to someones body, same as alcohol in excess. Marijuana causes munchies, alcohol goes good with nachos. Are there problems with alcohol? Hell yea, just like there are with marijuana... but a much larger percentage of the world uses alcohol, so of course problems with alcohol are going to be overly visible as opposed to an illegal drug that people try to hide.

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:07pm

Here's the thing;

Just because you don't agree with my view does not mean I'm uninformed on the subject matter.

In a perfect world, I need not give a basis for my reason for it to be illegal. If my view is it should be, that should be sufficient for my opinion. I'm not a lawyer, I don't have to state why, just so.

Makes for quite the poor argument though, if I do say so myself.

In reality, you need a "legit basis" so you can argue it to your hearts content.

As I have stated, I'm not against medicinal marijuana, but there ARE legal alternatives. What I am against
is recreational use of marijuana.

Yes, there are alternatives.  In many, not all however, the alternatives can produce very negative side effects in comparison to marijuana.  Of course, to have this debate I feel as if we would need to discuss specific drugs, and their intended use.

It takes 4 seconds from the first puff for it to take effect on the users brain.. alcohol is much longer then
that.

How is this a negative aspect, assuming you are treating it as such?

Marijuana impairs judgment, same as alchol.

Not nearly to the same degree.

Marijuana causes damage to someones body, same as alcohol in excess.

Take note at the bold.  In Excess.  Marijuana, at no dose, is lethal.  Alcohol is.  The damage caused by marijuana to a human beings body pails in comparison to the negative effects produced by alcohol.

Marijuana causes munchies, alcohol goes good with nachos. Are there problems with alcohol? Hell yea, just like there are with marijuana...

but a much larger percentage of the world uses alcohol,

I see this as being entirely irrelevant.  Marijuana had been used long before alcohol was even discovered.  However, due to it's legal status, marijuana had been "hidden", while the alcohol industry boomed.

so of course problems with alcohol are going to be overly visible as opposed to an illegal drug that people try to hide.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:07pm

Here's the thing;

LOLWUT?

As I have stated, I'm not against medicinal marijuana, but there ARE legal alternatives. That makes Marijuana any less legitimate from a non legal standpoint?

What I am against is recreational use of marijuana. It takes 4 seconds from the first puff for it to take effect on the users brain 4 seconds? Find me some science for that outrageous claim..

alcohol is much longer then that. Marijuana impairs judgment, same as alchol. Not nearly as much. 

Marijuana causes damage to someones body, same as alcohol in excess. What damages does marijuana cause? Smoke cannot be part of your argument.

Marijuana causes munchies, alcohol goes good with nachos. Was that supposed to be a serious statement?

Are there problems with alcohol? Hell yea, just like there are with marijuana... but a much larger percentage of the world uses alcohol, so of course problems with alcohol are going to be overly visible as opposed to an illegal drug that people try to hide. I don't see it being too hard to find problems with crack/cocaine or heroin. Those users also try to hide it.
Que pasa?

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:19pm
Glass,

Reason I wrote in excess for alcohol is because alcohol, not in excess, is good for your health, as proven over and over again by people much smarter then you and I, and have an MD attached to their name. Marijuana in ANY amount, adds no known health benefits. Nausea inhibitor =/= health benefit.

If you want a nausea inhibitor, get Ondansetron, as it has VERY few side effects and contraindications.

As for why I brought up alcohol vs marijuana numbers is many people, including a few in this thread, tout the fact at how dangerous alcohol is. If something is used more, you're going to have more instances of something bad going on. That is the only thing I implied by that statement.

I don't deny that alcohol is dangerous, but so is nitroglycerin, and the health benefits are indisputable.

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:31pm

Glass,

Reason I wrote in excess for alcohol is because alcohol, not in excess, is good for your health, as proven over and over again by people much smarter then you and I, and have an MD attached to their name. Marijuana in ANY amount, adds no known health benefits. Nausea inhibitor =/= health benefit.

"The major active constitutent of the plant Cannabis sativa (marijuana), THC, and a variety of natural and synthetic cannabinoids have been shown to possess... anti-inflammatory activities...

Results indicate that the endogenous cannabinoid system represents a promising therapeutic target for the treatment of intestinal disease conditions characterized by excessive inflammatory responses."

Apr. 2004 - Journal of Clinical Investigation 

"Cannabis has a demonstrated ability to improve mobility and reduce morning stiffness and inflammation.

Research has also shown that patients are able to reduce their usage of potentially harmful Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) when using cannabis as an adjunct therapy."

2005 - Americans for Safe Access (ASA) 

"Our results indicate that cannabinoid receptors are important in the pathology of AD [Alzheimer's disease] and that cannabinoids succeed in preventing the neurodegenerative process occurring in the disease." 

Feb. 23, 2005 - Maria L. de Ceballos, PhD 

If you want a nausea inhibitor, get Ondansetron, as it has VERY few side effects and contraindications.

As for why I brought up alcohol vs marijuana numbers is many people, including a few in this thread, tout the fact at how dangerous alcohol is. If something is used more, you're going to have more instances of something bad going on. That is the only thing I implied by that statement.

I don't deny that alcohol is dangerous, but so is nitroglycerin, and the health benefits are indisputable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 20>
  Share Topic