Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medical Marijuana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obnoxious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Glass,

Reason I wrote in excess for alcohol is because alcohol, not in excess, is good for your health, as proven over and over again by people much smarter then you and I, and have an MD attached to their name. Marijuana in ANY amount, adds no known health benefits. Nausea inhibitor =/= health benefit.

If you want a nausea inhibitor, get Ondansetron, as it has VERY few side effects and contraindications.

As for why I brought up alcohol vs marijuana numbers is many people, including a few in this thread, tout the fact at how dangerous alcohol is. If something is used more, you're going to have more instances of something bad going on. That is the only thing I implied by that statement.

I don't deny that alcohol is dangerous, but so is nitroglycerin, and the health benefits are indisputable.

So, in regards to morality and legality, a substance must have legitimate health value? Is that a joke?
That is akin to saying broccoli should have every right to be a legal food whereas your typical fast food meal should be BANNED.

And how is being a nausea inhibitor not a health benefit? Cancer patients can EAT because medicinal marijuana allows them to, which not only rejuvenates their physical liveliness, but also their mental and emotional.

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I instantly lose major respect for those that are against legalization of marijuana and claim to be well read on it. I understand that the ignorant liken it to more dangerous narcotics, however any person trying to claim that they have the absolute right to tell others what they can and cannot put in their body, knowing that the substance in question is no't nearly as bad as it is portrayed, is to me a completely intolerant person. Hypocritical as well, if you drink alcohol.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Glassjaw Glassjaw wrote:

Cannabis has a demonstrated ability to
              improve mobility and reduce morning stiffness and inflammation.

Research has also shown that patients are able to reduce their usage of
potentially harmful Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) when
using cannabis as an adjunct therapy."

Just FYI, that's basically saying it's on par with Acetaminophen and Acetylsalicylic acid, just without the GI bleeds caused by Acetaminophen.

I'll have to check on the alzheimers part-- that's the first I've heard of it... but the fact that it came from a pro-legalization website gives me doubts. Can you find me a more neutral website?

As for obnoxious

1) Contribute to the thread in other ways then just "You're wrong because you are".

2) Zophran is a 5-HT3 antagonists, and quite good at what it is intended to do.

Edited by Linus - 31 March 2009 at 11:42pm

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:39pm

Just FYI, that's basically saying it's on par with Acetaminophen and Acetylsalicylic acid, just without the GI bleeds caused by Acetaminophen.

Pretty serious effect, I must say.

I'll have to check on the alzheimers part-- that's the first I've heard of it... but the fact that it came from a pro-legalization website gives me doubts. Can you find me a more neutral website?

The website, although I am sure is more pro marijuana than negative, offers both sides of the argument.

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/viewanswers.asp?questionID=000130

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/viewresource.asp?resourceID=000145

Interesting chart shown here.

Edited by Glassjaw - 31 March 2009 at 11:42pm
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:46pm

I'll have to check on the alzheimers part-- that's the first I've heard of it... but the fact that it came from a pro-legalization website gives me doubts. Can you find me a more neutral website?The website, although I am sure is more pro marijuana than negative, offers both sides of the argument.http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/viewanswers.asp?questionID=000130
http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/viewresource.asp?resourceID=000145Interesting chart shown here.

Oh, not saying GI bleeds are GOOD, but the fact that them being caused by tylenol is so rare should not be an instant win for marijuana, especially considering smoking marijuana causes harm to the lungs. Not a clear winner there.

Still, I want a more neutral publication, such as from a very reputable hospital or some such thing.

Found one based off a Scripps Institute study, but ALL websites that quote it don't have any update on it after October of 2006.

Edited by Linus - 31 March 2009 at 11:48pm

jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:49pm

I'll have to check on the alzheimers part-- that's the first I've heard of it... but the fact that it came from a pro-legalization website gives me doubts. Can you find me a more neutral website?The website, although I am sure is more pro marijuana than negative, offers both sides of the argument.http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/viewanswers.asp?questionID=000130
http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/viewresource.asp?resourceID=000145Interesting chart shown here.

Oh, not saying GI bleeds are GOOD, but the fact that them being caused by tylenol is so rare should not be an instant win for marijuana, especially considering smoking marijuana causes harm to the lungs. Not a clear winner there.

Vaporizers <----CLICK THE LINK

Still, I want a more neutral publication, such as from a very reputable hospital or some such thing.

Found one based off a Scripps Institute study, but ALL websites that quote it don't have any update on it after October of 2006.

Edited by jmac3 - 31 March 2009 at 11:50pm
Que pasa?

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:49pm

Found one on WebMD based off of Scripps... reading it now. I can't find a single one dated any later then 2006 and 2005. It just goes to Oct06 and stops.

"In contrast to previous studies aimed at utilizing cannabinoids in Alzheimer's disease therapy, our results provide a mechanism whereby the THC molecule can directly impact Alzheimer's disease pathology...

It is noteworthy that THC is a considerably more effective inhibitor... than the approved drugs for Alzheimer's disease treatment, donepezil and tacrine, which reduced [protein deposits in the brain] by only 22% and 7%, respectively, at twice the concentration used in our studies...

THC and its analogues may provide an improved therapeutic for Alzheimer's disease [by] simultaneously treating both the symptoms and progression of Alzheimer's disease."

Aug. 9, 2006 - Lisa Eubanks, PhD 
A Molecular Link Between the Active Component of Marijuana and Alzheimer's Disease Pathology  (143 KB)

"After reviewing the recommendations of an expert panel, we have decided to add Agitation of Alzheimer's disease to the list of medical conditions for which a doctor may write a statement of support for the medical use of marijuana."

June 14, 2000 - Oregon Department of Health Services 

The excerpt originally posted was from a woman with her PhD.  Her information can be found here.

I'm not attempting to say that marijuana produces more profound medical benefits than pharmacutical drugs currently available; however, I am pointing out that marijuana does produce beneficial medical benefits.

Edited by Glassjaw - 31 March 2009 at 11:54pm
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
obnoxious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obnoxious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:49pm

As for obnoxious

1) Contribute to the thread in other ways then just "You're wrong because you are".

No. You cannot discredit my argument just because I am arguing the morality side of the issue versus the empirical health side. I can and will do that when I feel the time is right. As of right now, I simply want to know why you think you have authority supreme enough to tell me that I cannot smoke marijuana legally when you can get trashed on Jack Daniels. I want to know why the number one cash crop in the nation is going untaxed, and rather, inversely sucking up massive amount of federal funding amidst an economic crisis.

If you are unwilling to continue upon a discussion pertaining to the ethical side of a completely illogical ban on a relatively harmless substance, then you are conceding that you have no grounds by which to defend it. If you do, then I will be more than happy to join Glassjaw and yourself in a discussion on rather abject health benefits, which resonates to me as a complete travesty because legality should not be pertinent in any way on how good it is for your body.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:53pm

especially considering smoking marijuana causes harm to the lungs. Not a clear winner there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer

Didn't want it to get buried.
Que pasa?

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:54pm
Jmac, vaporizers don't instantly negate any ill-effects from inhaling marijuana, and I have stated that a few times in this thread.

ALso, Marijuana has many times more ammonia, and other toxic substances, then cigarettes do.

Edited by Linus - 01 April 2009 at 12:01am

jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:55pm
"Rather than burning the herb, which produces irritating, toxic, and carcinogenic by-products, a vaporizer heats the material in a partial vacuum so that the active compounds contained in the plant boil off into a vapor."

Also, find me your proof for your ridiculous claims about Ammonia and other toic substances.
Que pasa?

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:57pm
No jmac, he doesn't have to prove anything he says, remember?
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:58pm
<3 obnoxious

Linus, you're grasping at straws at this point.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2009 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by jmac3 jmac3 wrote:

Also, find me your proof for your ridiculous claims about Ammonia and other toic substances.

Will do---

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7150274.stm

Quote Inhaled cannabis smoke has more harmful toxins than tobacco, scientists have discovered.

The Canadian government research found 20 times as much ammonia, a chemical linked to cancer, New Scientist said.

The Health Canada team also found five times as much hydrogen cyanide and nitrogen oxides, which are linked to heart and lung damage respectively.

Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:02am
Glassjaw-- What I was trying to say is I can't find a single article in the years 2007,2008, or 2009, that link cannibis and Alheimers, that don't rely mostly on the out-dated Scripps study.

I'm trying to find a more recent one, as things change drastically in 28 months.

Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:02am
Except vaporizers != smoke...

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Except vaporizers != smoke...

And I never stated it was... but that doesn't mean it doesn't have risk factors JUST because it's vaporized... unless you can prove otherwise.

That's like saying a hookah is safe. You're still inhaling a dangerous substance.

Edited by Linus - 01 April 2009 at 12:05am

High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:08am
Linus, the nasty chemicals are a product of combustion of the plant matter, which a vaporizer avoids. Try again.

Also, what grade of marijuana did the Canadian government test? I'd like to point out if they tested ditch weed then yes it could be more harmful than tobacco in some areas since you have to smoke much more to get the desired effect. But if it was medical grade marijuana (using that term to describe the high grade stuff you find in dispensaries) the dose would be much smaller compared to an average dose of tobacco.

I would like to hear your opinion on edibles and other non smoked forms of the drug.
jmac3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Official Box Hoister

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmac3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:09am
As for your canadian toxic article. The article I found says this:

"The nitrogen-based fertilizer used on the marijuana plants -- which all came from the same batch of Canadian pot plants -- may have affected the results. The temperatures used to burn the cigarettes may also have been a factor."

And now on to the vaporizers.

"Use Of Vaporizers Drastically Reduces Toxins Associated With Marijuana Smoke, Study Says "

"Toxins in marijuana smoke may be eliminated by the use of a vaporization device, according to the findings of a study conducted by California NORML and the Multidisciplinary Association of Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), and funded in part by the NORML Foundation.

"While there is no scientific evidence linking marijuana smoking to lung cancer, vaporizers do provide an effective non-smoking delivery system that eliminates the unnecessary products of combustion,"

http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5641

Que pasa?

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 12:31am

but that doesn't mean it doesn't have risk factors JUST because it's vaporized...

Plenty of medications have risks. Still doesn't really justify retaining illegal status.

As a matter of fact I still have not heard a single good argument presented in this thread as to why it should stay illegal for medicinal purposes.

I personally, don't care one way or another if it does or doesn't have legal status. Again, I just think if you are going to try to argue something, you should make sense.
TheDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 1:33am
You know, if you can BS through 16 pages, and throw back handed insults and ridiculous fabricated factoids D.A.R.E. handed out to you in the 6th grade, then you're gad-dang right I'm going to be rude back to you. I just don't care enough to mask my ill intentions. I'll just come right out and treat you poorly. Just because you're wasting everyone's time here, and further perpetuating this seemingly endless cycle of people thinking drugs are bad because they're illegal, and they're illegal because they're bad. All the claims you've made have either been made up, or proven to be wrong via quoting medical doctor's statements.

You. Are. Wrong.

"But opinions cant be wrong!!!"
They can if they were formed from poor information.
"According to Sue Johanson, theres nothing that can increase your manhood, trust me I've already looked into it for myself." -Zata

<keep the sigs friendly, please>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 20>
  Share Topic