Medical Marijuana

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 20>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 12:52pm
Part of the MM debate is the legalization debate, so I see it as relevant. I think the point is, people are coming up with pretty lame arguments for continued criminalization. "It should be illegal because it is." I think people really need to understand why something is illegal before you can effectively argue for or against it.

Also, it really bothers me, and other people that use marijuana that the government is telling me that I can't use a more or less harmless substance in my own home. There are so many double standards in our society about this topic. I don't want to smoke public, I just don't want to be afraid of being arrested for something as dumb as catching a buzz. The drug war has failed miserably (there are more drugs, more readily available, and of better quality in the U.S. now than there were when Reagan first declared "the war on drugs").

Until people realize that marijuana laws are unjust, we're going to continue wasting billions of dollars on processing nonviolent offenders that could be better spent on real criminals.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 12:42pm
lol @ users making constant excuses to smoke, no matter what.

I've largely given up on this thread. It's turned into a drug users vs non drug users debate as opposed to having much to do with MM anymore. Another half step and it ends up locked for being nothing more than another 'lol weed' thread.

?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 12:34pm
Quotes from Harry J. Anslinger, the first drug czar.

There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.

Marijuana is an addictive drug which produces in its users insanity, criminality, and death.

...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.

Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind.

You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother.

Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing.

Linus, this is why marijuana became illegal. People were fed this kind of propaganda.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Linus Linus wrote:

Originally posted by Glassjaw Glassjaw wrote:

Marijuana is illegal for various idiotic reasons, including this little gem,  "White people don't like mexicans".

Citation needed.
It's true. People like Anslinger used racist scare tactics to push his anti-marijuana legislation back in the 30's. Marijuana is illegal not because of hard science but because of blatantly false anecdotal evidence from back in the "reefer madness" days. This guy pretty much said that marijuana turns you into a crazed axe murderer, and people bought it.

Oh, that and it makes white women have sex with black men.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1 - language 6.29.10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 11:51am

Marijuana is illegal for various idiotic reasons, including this little gem,  "White people don't like mexicans".

Citation needed.

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 11:36am

Then people started realizing they're highly addictive and actually cause more harm than good.  Now that people are seeing that marijuana (and by people I mean scientists, people in the medical field, and general users) we want the law's changed to reflect that. 

FIrst thing-- I don't care what "general users" know or want. They are users of an illicit drug and want it legalized. Their views on something have no weight behind it.

Second, not all scientist / medical professionals are in agreement that marijuana should be legalized, even for medicinal purposes. For every one that says legalize it, you'll find another that says don't.

Maybe you should take a look at why the drug is even illegal.

Anyone who bases their arguments on the fact that the drug is illegal should really either learn as to why it's illegal, or stop arguing that point.  Marijuana is illegal for various idiotic reasons, including this little gem,  "White people don't like mexicans".

PS-- Where did the Davinci Institute get it's "facts" for that graph?

Not sure.

Edited by Glassjaw - 29 March 2009 at 11:37am
The desire for polyester is just to powerful.
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 11:23am

Then people started realizing they're highly addictive and actually cause more harm than good.  Now that people are seeing that marijuana (and by people I mean scientists, people in the medical field, and general users) we want the law's changed to reflect that. 

FIrst thing-- I don't care what "general users" know or want. They are users of an illicit drug and want it legalized. Their views on something have no weight behind it.

Second, not all scientist / medical professionals are in agreement that marijuana should be legalized, even for medicinal purposes. For every one that says legalize it, you'll find another that says don't.

PS-- Where did the Davinci Institute get it's "facts" for that graph?

I mean seriously, they are touting the fact at how dangerous Ketamine is when taken orally. Orally is used for recreational, IE illegal, purposes. Any use in the medical field is either by IV or IM injections. I guarantee the IV/IM injections have a much lower ratio, but that wouldn't have helped their case, would it?

Ispbutyl Nitrite is used for cyanide poisionings, and to up the ante on cocaine, so how do they know the death is caused by IN and not the other drugs?

Edited by Linus - 29 March 2009 at 11:29am

Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Because it is illegal. It is already in the books like that. It does impair judgement, even though people are happy to spliff up and drive.

It isn't like they are trying to ban Penicilin. Most of the people who want it unbanned are stoner criminals. (If you are illegally using a drug, you are a criminal)

I don't see an overwhelming need to unban it. I'm not basing my whole argument on personal experience, I'm saying in my experience I don't see what's so great about it that you have to do it illegally, and trying to unban it.

There are minor medical uses for it, which can be synthesized or refined. But to make the illicit psycoactive drug licit?

Tylenol doesn't work for some people. I don't have much of a reaction to paracetemol. Dosn't affect me in the least. Do I think it should be banned? No. However it isn't illegal in the first place, there are other products on the market that do the same.

Weed has been classified as a schedule 1 drug, and thanks to Obama's February law, can be gotten for medical reasons. I (and my learned friends int he medical field) don't see the need for this. Use the pills. General use legalization is like saying you may as well un schedule Morphine.

KBK

Basing your argument largely on the fact it's illegal is pretty asinine.  Do you even know why it's illegal?  Once again, heroin and cocaine were once legal and sold as medication.  Then people started realizing they're highly addictive and actually cause more harm than good.  Now that people are seeing that marijuana (and by people I mean scientists, people in the medical field, and general users) we want the law's changed to reflect that.  Do you think that since salvia is legal in most states it should stay legal?  It has very little, if not any, medical benefits and is highly psychoactive.

Tylenol is a weak drug anyhow... use Aspirin instead.

Kayback has touched on what I have already stated. There isn't a single thing that marijuana does illegally, that other drugs do, and sometimes better, legally.

Yes, there are side effects to those drugs, such as nausea, but every single drug has side effects, INCLUDING OXYGEN.

I suppose the fact it's far less harmful and produces many of the same desired effects that other drugs can isn't a good thing however, right?

Edited by Glassjaw - 29 March 2009 at 11:12am
Linus View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 10:46am
Tylenol is a weak drug anyhow... use Aspirin instead.

Kayback has touched on what I have already stated. There isn't a single thing that marijuana does illegally, that other drugs do, and sometimes better, legally.

Yes, there are side effects to those drugs, such as nausea, but every single drug has side effects, INCLUDING OXYGEN.

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 4:59am
Because it is illegal. It is already in the books like that. It does impair judgement, even though people are happy to spliff up and drive.

It isn't like they are trying to ban Penicilin. Most of the people who want it unbanned are stoner criminals. (If you are illegally using a drug, you are a criminal)

I don't see an overwhelming need to unban it. I'm not basing my whole argument on personal experience, I'm saying in my experience I don't see what's so great about it that you have to do it illegally, and trying to unban it.

There are minor medical uses for it, which can be synthesized or refined. But to make the illicit psycoactive drug licit?

Tylenol doesn't work for some people. I don't have much of a reaction to paracetemol. Dosn't affect me in the least. Do I think it should be banned? No. However it isn't illegal in the first place, there are other products on the market that do the same.

Weed has been classified as a schedule 1 drug, and thanks to Obama's February law, can be gotten for medical reasons. I (and my learned friends int he medical field) don't see the need for this. Use the pills. General use legalization is like saying you may as well un schedule Morphine.

KBK
pb125 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1 language strike, 10/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 4:24am
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

/me goes to bed after taking his sleep medication.

Sleepy
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:46am

The thing is in Amsterdam is it's still illegal. It is accepted in some places, and you can generally get away with it, but it isn't legal to walk down the road smoking a joint, or light up in a normal bar.

I must say, to personalize this even more, I don't see the point of ganja. Never once in a whole bunch of trying it have I ever gotten even the slightest buzz, the munchies, or even even gotten paranoid from it, in any form. Brownies, joints, infusions, bongs whatever. It wasted valuable drinking time :) Maybe my CB1 and CB2 receptors just don't work. So I honestly I don't understand people making such a fuss over something pretty much useless in my experience.

KBK

So you're against it......why? Your own words man, come on. And I know its not legal, it's tolerated, but we make our own rules and it could be legalized but not legal to consume in public, except in our version of a coffee shop.

And you're basing your entire opinion of a topic as broad as this on personal experience alone?
"Well in my opinion tylenol doesn't work for my headaches, therefor it must not work for anyone"
Essentially.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:42am
The thing is in Amsterdam is it's still illegal. It is accepted in some places, and you can generally get away with it, but it isn't legal to walk down the road smoking a joint, or light up in a normal bar.

I must say, to personalize this even more, I don't see the point of ganja. Never once in a whole bunch of trying it have I ever gotten even the slightest buzz, the munchies, or even even gotten paranoid from it, in any form. Brownies, joints, infusions, bongs whatever. It wasted valuable drinking time :) Maybe my CB1 and CB2 receptors just don't work. So I honestly I don't understand people making such a fuss over something pretty much useless in my experience.

KBK
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:27am

Because people give you the same consideration when they smoke tobacco. I've been in clubs before where I do end up with irritated eyes.

How can you say it won't be smoked in public places?

I know plenty of people who smoke the holy herb, and would love to not have to sneak off somewhere else to do it.

Again, if this is for medicinal use, why the HELL should I have to leave to room so you can pollute the air when you could just take a pill?

For general consumption, I'm fairly sure eventually it would settle down, but I'm also fairly sure the first while it would be stupid with stoner's celebrating.

As it IS when people light up MJ I do leave the room. It is easy because it is illegal. But if it is legalized those people that smoke it won't be making themselves scarce.

KBK

Again Kayback, I don't mean to be a dick, but I've been to Amsterdam, and that's simply not how it is. People ARE considerate and stick to designated marijuana smoking areas. I went to at least two coffee shops that you had to go into a completely seperate room to smoke, so the main area was smoke free.

Yes people will celebrate, but its a short lived thing, then the novelty wears off, or you continue to smoke if you truly enjoy the effect of smoking.
And Kayback, the fight for legalization is for general use, like alcohol. Regulated and taxed, but up to you how you use it, not just medicinal.
High Voltage View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Fire in the disco

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Voltage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 3:09am
Kayback, they do sell pills at some of the dispensaries, probably some of the few near pb125.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 2:59am
Because people give you the same consideration when they smoke tobacco. I've been in clubs before where I do end up with irritated eyes.

How can you say it won't be smoked in public places?

I know plenty of people who smoke the holy herb, and would love to not have to sneak off somewhere else to do it.

Again, if this is for medicinal use, why the HELL should I have to leave to room so you can pollute the air when you could just take a pill?

For general consumption, I'm fairly sure eventually it would settle down, but I'm also fairly sure the first while it would be stupid with stoner's celebrating.

As it IS when people light up MJ I do leave the room. It is easy because it is illegal. But if it is legalized those people that smoke it won't be making themselves scarce.

KBK

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 12:23am

Suddenly made illegal? Because there are so many +40 year olds on this forum.

42% is still less than half. By very definition that's the minority. Pretty much like I said. Worldwide less than 1% of the population uses daily. The number who use it annually? Less than 5%.

I've heard different figures for getting hit up with other people's smoke. I still don't see why I should take that risk. I have a serious incident at work they are legally required to take blood. I've got to put my chances of going to jail in the off chance that my room is ventilated well enough? Even if it is legalized working under the influence wouldn't be.

KBK

I still don't see how you can assume that if marijuana were legalized
that everyone everywhere would be lighting joints up. It wouldn't be
smoked in public establishments that don't already allow smoking, and
even at that rate it still most likely would not be. Most smoking will be done
within the groups of people who already smoke, in places they've been
smoking for quite some time now.

I imagine that they would adopt some sort of "coffee shop" style policy if it were legalized. It would still be a nono to walk around and smoke in public, but smoking in a designated area for marijuana consumption and purchasing would be fine.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 12:15am
/me goes to bed after taking his sleep medication.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Glassjaw View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Took down Mike Tyson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glassjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 11:48pm

Suddenly made illegal? Because there are so many +40 year olds on this forum.

42% is still less than half. By very definition that's the minority. Pretty much like I said. Worldwide less than 1% of the population uses daily. The number who use it annually? Less than 5%.

I've heard different figures for getting hit up with other people's smoke. I still don't see why I should take that risk. I have a serious incident at work they are legally required to take blood. I've got to put my chances of going to jail in the off chance that my room is ventilated well enough? Even if it is legalized working under the influence wouldn't be.

KBK

I still don't see how you can assume that if marijuana were legalized that everyone everywhere would be lighting joints up.  It wouldn't be smoked in public establishments that don't already allow smoking, and even at that rate it still most likely would not be.  Most smoking will be done within the groups of people who already smoke, in places they've been smoking for quite some time now.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2009 at 8:45pm
So...how hard is it to avoid second hand smoke? My old roommates gf CANT have thc in her system, and her bf smokes rarely, I did when I lived there, so did their neighbours/ our friends, etc
Either way, it has never, ever been a problem, you just take it outside, go for a walk, go in the bathroom, on the balcony, w/e. If you're at a party or something and people are partaking, just excuse yourself to a different area for a bit. Again, it's not really hard to avoid, at all. People tend to be considerate when you ask not be smoked around, or say they don't partake. Non issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 20>
  Share Topic