Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flatline on a salvo?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwoodtitans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatline on a salvo?
    Posted: 05 August 2009 at 11:59pm
Is there any way to fit a flatline barrel in a project salvo shroud?
UnitedSeal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnitedSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 5:35pm
A tippmann 98 custom flatline can fit.
gwoodtitans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwoodtitans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2009 at 11:05pm
ok sweet. but will i have to modify the shroud at all?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwoodtitans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 2:38am
any help here?
UnitedSeal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnitedSeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 9:28am
I don't think you do because the flatline comes with it's own shroud.
Antonio865 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antonio865 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 1:07am
if you put a flatline you wont have the M16 shroud anymore because the flatline has a weird shape that requires its own shroud. It still looks okay but if you love that M16 look dont do it.
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 1:15am
He would like to know if the Flatline barrel will fit 'In' the Salvo shroud.
He doesn't want to put a 98 Flatline system on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwoodtitans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 12:06am

I guess i would have to grind the inside of the shroud to make it work. Ill probably just get a hammerhead or something

Neothesmurf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neothesmurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2009 at 11:50pm
if you want a better barrel may i reccommend the straightline barrel. i think thats the one thats got the rifled cut on the inside of the barrel. i believe its around $140-$150ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwoodtitans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 2:11am
Im thinking thats probably my best bet
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2009 at 9:18am
There is a lot of debate on the effectiveness of rifled barrels. Do a search on Hammerhead, rifled barrel, etc for past postings on these. Before you plunk down $150 bucks on a barrel, you may want to look into a J&J or Lapco barrel. They are in the $40 range and offer decent bang for the buck.

It would help if you could zero in on what you are looking for out of a barrel. If you are looking for additional "sniper" range, to date it is not available in paintball (still waiting on further results on the 1st Strike rounds)  There are barrels that increase range such as the Flatline and Apex, but they do so at the cost of accuracy. If you are looking for better accuracy, this is best acheived by paint to bore match. In other words, you want the paint to fit the barrel as closely as possible. Arguably the best way to get this is via barrel "kits' that typically include different sized backs that you can match to the paint you are using. A couple of barrel kits that come to mind are J&J Edge Elite and any of the SP Freak kits. The J&J run about $90 for the set while Freak kits run anywhere from $60-$150 depending on if you are buying just the inserts or the entire barrel/back kit.

Hope it helps.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 13 August 2009 at 9:22am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwoodtitans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2009 at 5:36pm

Thanks that helps quite a bit. The hammerheads look nice and have really nice reviews but i dont think i will get enough use out of it. The j&j or lapco sound like they could be a better choice. Any suggestions on what kind or where to purchase them from?

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 12:33am
Lapco Bigshot is your best bet man.

Rifled barrels dont really do anything in paintball, they'd haft to cut into the ball to create any real spin which would obviously destroy a paintball before it ever left your barrel.
mr 400 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr 400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 1:52am
i'll throw my hat and my two cents into the ring about what kind of barrel to get based on what i have and use. i got the 14" hammerhead/tippmann barrel. i like it and it does have somewhat better accuracy than my cp's and jj ceramic barrels. distance wise no difference. enough to warrent the addition price, not in my experience. i've never done a comparative test but when i'm out playing i have a hard time telling the difference between accuracy and range between the three barrels. for the price i would put my jj ceramic up against the hammerhead any day. of course other factors like paint quality, age have some impact but overall for the money the cp and jj ceramics are just fine and a whole lot cheaper.
mr400

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwoodtitans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 4:05pm
im thinking the lapco assault barrel. Has anyone had any experience with these?
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 6:48pm
A barrel isnt going to increase your distance.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Flatline barrels do in fact increase distance. However, they tend to lose accuracy at the extended distances.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Luc McCloud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Flatline barrels do in fact increase distance. However, they tend to lose accuracy at the extended distances.

mhm, must agree with him here.

(Correct me if I'm wrong on anything here)

Flatline barrels are designed with a "Step Up System", which causes the ball to get a backspin. The end result is that the ball is spinning and wanting to go upwards, while gravity is pulling it down. Thus, the ball travels further.

In Airsoft, this is called "Hop-Up". You can see this for yourself if you ever fired a Hop Up pistol "Gangsta Style" (holding it sideways). The BBs always will curve to the Left.

Ultimately, I can imagine paintballs will be more effected by this flatline system. Not to mention (and agian, correct me if I'm wrong), but wouldnt a flatline system also reduce the FPS?
The "Arctic Fox"; Insanity at its Finest!

Since only experts and veterns can give their opinions and nobody listens to those who are new, I'll just leave and make everyone happy.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Luc McCloud Luc McCloud wrote:

I feel so validated coming from someone with 0 experience. Seriously... I understand you are trying to get involved, but you are still at the point of asking questions, not answering them.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Luc McCloud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc McCloud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 2:11pm

Originally posted by Luc McCloud Luc McCloud wrote:

I feel so validated coming from someone with 0 experience. Seriously... I understand you are trying to get involved, but you are still at the point of asking questions, not answering them.

(Correct me if I'm wrong on anything here)

Flatline barrels are designed with a "Step Up System", which causes the ball to get a backspin. The end result is that the ball is spinning and wanting to go upwards, while gravity is pulling it down. Thus, the ball travels further.

In Airsoft, this is called "Hop-Up". You can see this for yourself if you ever fired a Hop Up pistol "Gangsta Style" (holding it sideways). The BBs always will curve to the Left.

Ultimately, I can imagine paintballs will be more effected by this flatline system. Not to mention (and agian, correct me if I'm wrong), but wouldnt a flatline system also reduce the FPS?

Gee, you're quick to be sarcastic, but slow to answer my questions or correct my mistakes.

First off, I may be new to paintball, but that does NOT mean I'm new to the physics behind it. I've dealt with Airsoft systems for the last 4 years, and for the most part the difference between a Co2 Airsoft System and a paintball marker is mainly size, and brand differences (I know tippmann makes their markers different internally than say, spyder).

BUT, as far as systems such as the Flatline barrel, They areb ased off the same principles. As such, I used to upgrade airsoft guns forhop-up and FPS increases. I made a 5$ airsoft cheapie preform liek a 50$ gun.

Hopup had a destinct advantage of throwing the BB further, but shots tended to go higher than you aimed, and also would curve even if the gun was tilted slightly. In otherwords, it was a huge issue.

Anyways, I'm in the midst of researching this stuff now, and if I'm getting even a GENERAL idea of this within just 4 hours of starting this sport, then I think I'm on one **** of a track.
The "Arctic Fox"; Insanity at its Finest!

Since only experts and veterns can give their opinions and nobody listens to those who are new, I'll just leave and make everyone happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic