Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Tippmann X-7 Phenom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Tippmann X-7 Phenom
    Posted: 21 October 2009 at 7:06pm
   I have always been a very lucky Marine. And last Summer I was privy to something utterly awesome. I got to take an early version of the marker that would Become the X-7 Phenom through it's paces. Here is my review on it. When I was told that it used X-7 mods I was glad for those like myself who have invested on the X-7.

Upon un-boxing it became clear that this was a different Tippmann, It looked like an X-7 but it was smaller and lighter. The external air line was gone. It had a built in E-grip with a 3 stage selector switch. Also the Cyclone was different and upon closer inspection it was really different. The velocity adjustment screw was gone and it's place was a wheel in the marker that adjusted the internal regulator. My early prototype had standard X-7 Styled Sights which I though did not do the Marker Justice. So I swapped them out for the Salvo Sights and I liked the look better. I am glad that It seems that Tippmann took my Suggestion and put the newer sights on the Phenom. I rushed and grabbed a fresh case of Paint and I grabbed this old case of RPS premium tournament bronze paintballs, and By old I used this paint about 2 years ago to shoot up Tallen and his Girlfriend. I keep paint pretty good i rotate them often so they had small dimples on top but nothing crazy. But I am sure that most cyclones would turn that into soup.

I put the X-36 folding stock on the marker and it fit like a glove, I added a foregrip mounted on the bottom picattini rail of the new shortened shroud (my favorite cosmetic add on). The Marker then really came together. It felt solid the marker is light and has a balanced feeling.

I aired up the marker and it took about 4 shots to get it to chrono at 285fps. I play mostly with CO2 so I like to give myself a few FPS to be in the safe zone in case of a CO2 spike. The new Tippmann Flex Valve performs great with CO2. In Mechanical Semi, And the two Electronic modes I had programed "Responsive" and "Safety Full auto" I got consistent strings. I did not have any noticeable Drop off and my hand held Radar-Chrony. The marker was compared side by side with an X-7, my Alpha Black Project Salvo as expected in group size and on accuracy while firing at a moving target (a large rubber ball that my kid pulled on a rope) firing at 60 feet I loved how easy it was to get short bursts of paintballs on target consistently even in a moving target.

While fun and all, it wasn't until that weekend that I was able to put it through it's paces against actual opponents. Playing with a Mix of old and new paint the new Cyclone and the Flex Valve worked flawlessly for me. I did not had one Break on the "7" prototype I had. The Stock held up as expected with no wobble at the mounting point nor any problems when folded.

Switching between modes was easy. Using the wrench that's in the Magazine Tool kit i was able to test several modes in play before realizing that Semi, Turbo and Full Auto is the way to go. The Selector switch is comfortable and easy to get into modes once you work it in a bit. I used an old Lapco Bigshot on it and it handled the mix of paint quite well with no barrel breaks nor any issues on accuracy. While the slight tippy recoil is gone this helped greatly on quickly walking rounds on exposed limbs and or small openings on the cover my opponents where hiding behind. I have played with Team mates Space guns and this had the shooting posture of the Tourney types with it's low operating pressure as compared to other Tippmanns I have. I think this will be like when you Upgrade your Internet Speed, there just isn't really going back.

On feel the marker just feels solid in your hand with the X-36 stock and foregrip had that nice and tight SMG feel. The raised rails match up to existing X-7 hardware and shrouds. After transplanting the Sights from the Project Salvo and the Sling Point I was able to put a Hasty sling into it.

My Daughter loved the marker, as a matter of a fact she added one on her X-mas list. She has fired just about all my markers and this one she loved in weight, feel and how it shoots over all my other markers. She quickly picked up on modes and how to get good strings out on targets.

Edited by Evil Elvis - 21 October 2009 at 7:07pm
Evil Elvis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 7:58pm
Aside from the way this Marker shoots, I have to say this new Revamped Cyclone is probably the most suddle but amazing upgrade this marker has. It just keeps up with the Marker now matter how hard you shoot it. I used a mix of Old and New paint and it just kept loading and firing without any breaks nor "Popcorn effect".
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 8:36pm
Your review and others have definitely got me excited about getting one!

Edited by God - 21 October 2009 at 8:43pm
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 8:44pm
Alright! #28 arrived via the UPS man today when I was home for lunch break.

Needless to say, I was late getting back to work. LOL

Impressions:

Out of the box- It just seems to be much more streamlined than the X7.
The ease which this thing breaks down is amazing. Things are a bit stiff yet, but it is brand new, we'll see what happens as it gets used and abused a little bit.

Integrated gas line: Beautiful. I liked the black coated gas line of the X7, but to get rid of it altogether is a stroke of brilliance. It really cleans up the look of the marker.

I don't care for the stock sights, but that's easily remedied since they're detachable.

One thing I'm really, really happy about is the manual. Its very complete, and very easy to read and figure out.

Back to the marker itself, the lack of mid-barrel is also something I'm pleased about.

At the risk of parroting the press release and EE's post, I'll wait until I can put some paint through it before I go any further.

In all seriousness though, I give this one a very enthusiastic two thumbs up. As far as my first impression goes, this one lives up to the hype, and didn't disappoint after the excitement I felt when I found out this was being released.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 03 November 2009 at 7:32pm
?

TSSOC.Professor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSSOC.Professor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 5:52am
Professor

TSSOC is proud to represent G.I. Sportz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSSOC.Professor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 5:19pm
In case any of you would like an up close look at the Phenom, TSSOC will be at Barney's Heartbreak Ridge game this weekend in Plattekill, NY. Stop by and say hi.
Professor

fcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 11:40pm
i agree with God! Nice review bro!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSSOC.Professor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2009 at 7:18am
Tri-State Special Operations Command's Chris "topher" Matsinger, Chris "DeathX" Crawford, and Simon "Bulldog" Nadler will be on PBLive.tv, Wednesday, October 28 at 9:00PM ET/6:00PM PT, to do a Q&A session about Tippmann's new X7 Phenom.

To join the PBLive Chat Board, go to http://chatroll.com/paintball-live. Post your questions there.

Also on the show will be Brian "MOATI" Russell talking about Special Ops Paintball and his new company, Extreme StitchWorks.

If you haven't already read TSSOC's review on the new Tippmann X7 Phenom, check it out here.
Professor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSSOC.Professor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2009 at 6:03am
9:00PM ET/6:00PM PT Into the Woods" with LJ Marcus
10:00PM ET/7:00PM PT Ryan "RyanTheMighty" McDonald interviews Brian "Moati" Russell about Special Ops Paintball and Extreme StitchWorks
10:30PM ET/7:30PM PT Ryan "RyanTheMighty" McDonald interviews Chris "Topher" Matsinger, Chris "DeathX" Crawford, and Simon "Bulldog" Nadler of TSSOC about the Tippmann X7 Phenom.

In addition to joining the live chat at chatroll, you can Skype:Pblive, or twitter.com/pblive
Professor

paintballplaya7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballplaya7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 10:58am
does it require a secondary regulator, considering the output pressure of tanks is like 800, to get the efficiency out of the lower operating pressure
*Custom Pro
*Cyclone feed
*X7 hopper
*M16 Carry Handle
*BT 16 Apex Barrel
*Car Stock
*remote
*camo paint job
*Single point sling
*JT Full Coverage Camo
*realtree RAP4 vest
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 7:50pm
Well my Production Model (SN/0000027) came in and I noticed some Improvements over the Early Prototype I had. Most noticeably where Cyclone Improvements, I was really Impressed with the "Out-the-box" performance of the newer cyclone on the Prototype. This new cycloned sported new paddles, They even addressed an Issue that I didn't had a problem but someone must had suggested or came across. The Macroline that feeds the Cyclone is now encased in a protective spring. This should eliminate any chances of kinks on the Exposed line since the older Banjo fittings have been removed in favor of a maintenance friendlier system.

I haven't fired it yet. But I put the trusty Big Shot and I have a Bag of Dimpled year old DXS Tourney Bronze to shoot tomorrow to see how the marker will handle paint as compared to the Outstanding peformance I found on the original Prototype.

As some questions where asked on some other Boards about the New Shorter length Body and the Cyclone and the X-36 Folding Stock. I took some Pics tonight having to rob a remote control of batteries to show quickly. I'll try to shoot a Video of how the Stock SNAPS closed and stays there tight against the Cyclone housing.

A view of the Stock Folded

A view from Above

Edited by Evil Elvis - 02 November 2009 at 7:50pm
paintballplaya7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paintballplaya7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 12:49pm
anyone have an answer to my question above? ^^
*Custom Pro
*Cyclone feed
*X7 hopper
*M16 Carry Handle
*BT 16 Apex Barrel
*Car Stock
*remote
*camo paint job
*Single point sling
*JT Full Coverage Camo
*realtree RAP4 vest
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 1:16pm
I am still waiting for my new HPA tank in the mail so I havent been able to test your question, but nothing in the included manual says you need a secondary regulator to get the efficiency out of the lower operating pressure. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Crusher of Dreams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Elvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2009 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by paintballplaya7 paintballplaya7 wrote:

does it require a secondary regulator, considering the output pressure of tanks is like 800, to get the efficiency out of the lower operating pressure

No it doesn't require a secondary regulator. I shoot it all summer with CO2 and didn't have any Issues with Velocity, shot drop off nor consistency.
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2009 at 10:23pm
Here are my thoughts on this exciting marker! Hope you enjoy reading.

Tippmann X-7 Phenom 

This marker definitely lives up to its name! Rarely does a player come across a marker that is so complete (yet customizable,) easy to maintain and operate, and a blast to use. When I received the marker the first thing that I noticed was the small and compact box the marker arrived in. After experiencing this marker for almost a week, the expression “good things come in small packages” comes to mind. Despite its small size the Phenom’s box commands attention and provides a wealth of information about the marker contained inside. Earlier in the year, I noticed an announcement that Tippmann made the effort to push to a “greener” business and the box is a great example of the effort’s success. The foam inside is cut out perfectly and will keep the marker well protected in-between use.

Now onto the marker: 

The Tippmann X-7 Phenom marker is lighter, shorter, and comes with a longer barrel than the X-7 marker. Another major difference is the Phenom is an electro-pneumatic marker that uses an open bolt blow forward spool valve system. The spool valve design eliminates recoil; therefore less aim adjustment between each shoot is required. This is especially important in making sure every shot counts when the marker is firing at 15 bps. 

The low profile hopper still holds 200 paintballs but sits lower than previous cyclone hoppers. The hopper did require a fair amount of force to install and remove, but I had no worries that the lid would stay closed and not unexpectedly pop open. The cyclone feed paddles have been improved to not break paintballs while easily keeping up with full auto fire rate (no batteries necessary). 

Adjusting the velocity on this marker has changed from previous Tippmann markers. Instead of twisting a screw left and right, adjustments are made by turning the adjustor upwards and downwards. Players still have the option of using CO2, compressed air, or nitrogen with this marker. Also a remote line, which is my preferred method, can be connected and used. For those who wish to do so, air thru stock systems can still be attached. 

I am thrilled that the stock Phenom comes with only top and bottom picantinny rails. Having picantinny rails on each side of the X-7 marker made it uncomfortable to hold under the stock shroud. The picantinny rails that are included can be used to attach any number of accessories. I always appreciate sling mounts and this marker does not disappoint in that option. 

The internal gasline is a dream that has come true. Since my I first purchased a Tippmann marker my biggest cosmetic complaint was that the gasline was exposed. The Phenom cleverly uses the space within the hand grip to hide the gasline, while also encloses the electronic board and battery. The three position selector switch makes this marker easily switched between the safe position, manual trigger pull, and the electronically controlled firing modes. The marker is pre-programmed with five different firing modes. Three round burst, full auto, auto response, turbo mode, and semi auto are the different options a player can select. With the help of the manual, switching between each mode and understanding each firing mode is simple. The manual also covers how to fine tune each firing mode in the advanced programming section. Players that follow this guide will see how easily the setting can be adjusted. Also helpful is the marker’s low battery feature. “As the battery loses power, the LED stops flashes green, and changes to flashing red.” Players no longer have to guess if their marker’s battery is going to die in the middle of play. If this does happen, a player can easily move the selector switch to the manual fire mode and continue to manually fire the marker. This option is not available with most electronic markers. Just as easy is the ability for a player to switch the battery. The battery door pops out of the back of the grip and the battery can be accessed and replaced. 

As always, Tippmann generously includes tools, supplies, and barrel blocks, most of which fit into the magazine clip of the marker. With this marker, the quick-release tools storage magazine fits snuggly and releases smoothly from its holder. I comfortably use the feature as a front grip. This marker is also one of the easiest markers to maintain. Just pop open the back, remove a few parts, and oil. Just as easy is the process to return the parts when maintenance is complete. 

One last thing, this marker is a Tippmann so that means this marker is built to last. When push comes to shove, I would take this marker over any other electro-marker and not have to worry about breaking anything. This marker is definitely not going to break down on game day spoiling all the fun. 

Overall, I love this marker. Full auto capability, no visible gasline, easy maintenance, no recoil, sling mounts, and durability are all favorite features of this marker.

Dmon68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmon68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2009 at 9:44pm
First off, I would like to say that I am new to the paintball scene, but I really like playing games and I am tired of using bad rental guns. I have heard and read a lot about the X7 Phenom and I am thinking about ordering one.

I know that Tippmann has a reputation for building tough, durable markers that can withstand being submerged in water without effecting the operation of the gun. But since the Phenom also has electrical parts I have no idea as to how well it will take any form of water damage. (My friend is a sponsored player and has a $1,000+ electronically controlled gun that can not even take a little rain without compromising the entire system.)

That being said, I was wondering if anyone knows how well guarded the electrical components of the X7 Phenom are and how much water exposure the Phenom can take and still remain perfectly operational?

Thank you.

DHallak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHallak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 6:24pm
Ok, here's my review.
As most of you guys know, I am a hands down X7 lover. I've had tons and tons of guys give me tons of crap about using an x7, using a tippmann, not upgrading to an electro, etc, etc, etc. I love my X7. I know it's not the most efficient marker, I know it's not the most accurate marker, but I love it. It suits my style, and I like to look milsim, and as you guys know, I love to mod for the x7.

This weekend I got to use a high end etek ego, my x7, and a phenom.
I loved the phenom. I was reluctant to use it at first, but figured what the heck, if tippmann was great enough to send us one, the least I could do was try it out. I'm a convert.

It felt the same in my hands as my x7. Rugged, durable, and minus the mag (which is locked in very securely unlike the x7's stock mag) it was able to accept every foregrip and stock that I've modded.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I went out onto the field with it, but I ended up falling in love with it.

I was able to shoot nearly an entire case of paint with my x7 before having to refll my 68/4500 hpa tank, which is unheard of for me. with my x7, it was 1100 rounds and I was out of air.

The firing action was very very smooth. I got to fire a bob long m-tac I think it's called at a local paintball store there, and I didn't like it because it had 0 our of 10 recoil. I felt like I was firing a heavy squirt gun with that thing. The phenom, though operating at such a low pressure gave me a very slight kick, nowhere NEAR my x7's kick, but enough to where I was still satisfied to feel a slight slight recoil. It was nearly as loud as my x7, and the "pop" of firing had a slightly different report. With the lapco 10" assault barrel that was on it, it had a very satisfying bang when firing still.

Accuracy:
At targets around 150' away, it was a much more noticeably better grouping that when I'd fire with my x7 with my x7 the day before. The grouping at that range was reduced noticeably, I would definitely sayt that my grouping at full auto were alot more consistant than with my X7 that was running with upp'd internals as well as a 2nd regulator on it. Not by a HUGE margin,... but it was noticeable and I really liked it.

Because I'm me, I could NOT go out onto the field with just a stock phenom. I had to go out with my Thumbhole sniper stock, extended foregrip and eotech 551 red dot, and it really looked awesome as well. I snapped on almost ever mod that I had taken there, and all went on great, minus 2 foregrips. Every single stock that I have went on it, even the dragunov which was cool.

Cons:
The only cons I can think of with it in complete and utter honesty are the casting of the smaller magwell onto the receiver halves. The position of the "plate" on the side of the magwell does not allow the ump45 foregrip to go onto the x7 without some modding because it gets in the way. But seriously,.. all you need to do is cut off a tiny little 1/8" portion at the bottom of the foregrip on the corner and it will go on without a problem. Anyone with half a braincell could fix it. It's barely worth mentioning.

It could possibly be annoying later if they introduce 5.56mm looking mags, that have larger magwells that envelop the smaller one, but still, once again it will be an easy fix.

Using the phenom, I got better performance, I got better air consistancy, I got the ability to pretty much use every single mod that i've made (wooot at having 40+ parts available for a marker that hadn't even come out yet lol) and I was given the ability to lay paint down range more accurately, all without feeling as if I was "cheating" on my x7 Smile

I loved it, and will definitely be buying one when funds permit.
I would recommend the phenom more than I'd recommend going to see a wrestling match between megan fox and carmen electra.

Here's the setups that I went out onto the field with, though they look a little off with the straight 9mm mag, they are still sexy.

10" lapco assault barrel, Scen. Arms 552 foregrip and folding stock.

10" lapco assault barrel, Scen. Arms thumbhole sniper stock, scar-length extended foregrip

Nate_X7phenom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nate_X7phenom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 3:26pm
You seem to know wat your talking bout with the X7 very well. I posted this question in the "upgrade" topic forum but nobody has posted a reply. I have just bought my X7 Phenom, along with the G36 kit...foregrip, sight rail, stock, all that good stuff. But i am now wanting to buy a barrel for the gun. I find myself caught between three barrels; the Very Popular Tippmann Flatline Barrel, the New Tippman Straightline Barrel, and the Apex Barrel. So if you could steer mein the right direction of which barrel to purchase for my gun, i would greatly appreciate it! For my marker, i am looking for Distance AND Accuracy....so whichever barrel you think would be best, please tell me. Also, if there is a diff barrel besides the ones i have listed that you thihnk would better suite me, pleas say so! I am open to any and all comments. Thank you very much!
Nathan Lambert
chun12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chun12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 3:29pm
Ive been looking for a similar thumbhole stock, can you link the site? How much did it cost, any extra modification to make it fit? Thanks.
04 Spyder Xtra
08 98c Platinum
Pro Carbine
Phiranna PMI Pistol
TinMan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2009 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Nate_X7phenom Nate_X7phenom wrote:

You seem to know wat your talking bout with the X7 very well. I posted this question in the "upgrade" topic forum but nobody has posted a reply. I have just bought my X7 Phenom, along with the G36 kit...foregrip, sight rail, stock, all that good stuff. But i am now wanting to buy a barrel for the gun. I find myself caught between three barrels; the Very Popular Tippmann Flatline Barrel, the New Tippman Straightline Barrel, and the Apex Barrel. So if you could steer mein the right direction of which barrel to purchase for my gun, i would greatly appreciate it! For my marker, i am looking for Distance AND Accuracy....so whichever barrel you think would be best, please tell me. Also, if there is a diff barrel besides the ones i have listed that you thihnk would better suite me, pleas say so! I am open to any and all comments. Thank you very much!

The Straightline or Hammerhead worked great on the prototype Phenom's we tested.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic