Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Which Gun is Best
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

upgrade to x7 or not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoyt87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upgrade to x7 or not
    Posted: 02 December 2010 at 9:02am
I have a a5 and was thinking of getting a x7 since i can swap %90 of my a5 upgrades over to the x7.  i priced one out on eBay which is were i have been buying my markers and after selling my a5 stock  it was $30 more to get a stock x7.
and in advanced i don't plan on getting a phenom anytime soon or dumping a couple hundred in a new marker  would it be worth even if i,m just getting a cooler looking marker
Uber J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uber J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 12:51pm

i would say no. if all you are doing this for is cosmetic looks id save the 30 dollars and upgrade the a5 to "look" like the x7. performance wise the two markers are the same using the same internals. also i am not sure what upgrades you have but most, besides threaded barrels, will not crossover from the a5 to the x7 or vice versa.

hoyt87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoyt87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 2:54pm
i have the power tube tube upgrade the cyclone ratchet upgrade and a stock which was basically included in the price and i called tippmann and asked the tech. and i don't care for e grips so besides a barrel kit which came with a barrel adapter to fit my a5 i don't care to do any speed upgrade right now. so for me i like the look of the x7 and if i get it in the winter time the prices will be lower on the x7 if i buy it first play a game with it around march then sell it if i don't care for it and make some money off it i guess i really don't have anything to lose on it 
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 10:01pm
I would not buy an X7 if I were you. There is no performance gain with an X7 and I think they look gaudy myself. To each his own.
FlyByNight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2010 at 11:12pm
It's my understanding that going from an A5 to a Phenom would be a big upgrade.  Spool valve, using regulated air - it'll be more efficient and be more consistent/accurate.
hoyt87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoyt87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 10:20am
yes it would be but i have a black magic autococker and that vs my a5 yhere was not a huge diferents my atuococker could gruop atleast  1/4" better or more at 10 yds. i know there is no performance gain but come on an extra $30 for the marker and $20 more into a forgrip and you could have something extremely sick looking

but I'm not %100
 I'm going to buy the x7 first in winter so i can get it cheaper than plan a game with it and if i don't care for it wait until the prices jump in summer time and at least make $30 bucks off it

either way i get to play with a new toy and it covers some of my paint balling costLOL

and for the third time i don't have $200 plus bucks to spend on a x7 after i sell my a5 to get it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 11:22am
I'm confused - you say you're going to buy an x7 in winter but then say you don't have the money to spend on it?  I'm lost.    Either way, if you get an x7, just make sure it's not an actual X7 (which have been discontinued) - make sure it's at least a Phenom Mechanical (x7 replacement).
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 6:24pm
^^^So where did you get the information that the X7 has been discontinued?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 11:19pm
I can't find the announcement but basically it happened when the Phenom Mechanical was introduced.  You can get the X7 basic for $50 less now - probably while supplies still last.  The Phenom Mechanical is the same price as the X7 was at $299 - between an X7 and a Phenom, at the same price, it's a no-brainer.  It's not surprising at all they decided to come out with a non e-trigger version of the Phenom to replace the X7.
hoyt87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoyt87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 10:39am
thanks for the info even thou i kinda new that but look at from my point of view i get 230 off my a5 that leaves me negative 70 +18 in tax for the gun and a 30+ barrel upgrade if it is true about everyone saying u don't need to upgrade the x7 phenom. i was only looking at an extra 30 bucks  and a fully decked out x7 would out do a stock x7 phenom even with a smart parts 30 barrel vs fully decked out x7 with barrel kit

and i have $30 to spend on a marker after i sell my a5 but i might have a  hundred + to blow on an x7 phenom if people aren't lying about it does not need any internal upgrade

Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 5:40pm
upgrade! the a5 will stress you up!
airleaks around the annoying tombstone that cannot be fixed and ballbreaks in the flatline.

go and get a real marker. this one is a toy and i hate it so much.
im very sorry for the money i spent on that. never ever!
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Armitage Armitage wrote:

upgrade! the a5 will stress you up!
airleaks around the annoying tombstone that cannot be fixed and ballbreaks in the flatline.

go and get a real marker. this one is a toy and i hate it so much.
im very sorry for the money i spent on that. never ever!
I have owned several A-5's and have yet to have any of them leak from the tombstone. Typically such leaks are caused by lack of oil, improper placement of the o-ring and/or damage to these parts from disassembly. I'm sure Tippmann will fix the issues for you, free of charge.

As for the Flatline, it can be picky on paint. It does not like soft/brittle paint, so it does take some experimenting to see if the paint you are using is compatible. Also, keep in mind that cold weather makes paint brittle. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to use a Flatline barrel anytime the temperature was below 30*F.

CO2 can also cause other issues in lower temps. FPS drop off, freezing up, wildly inconsistent FPS, o-ring damage and other issues are typical problems with using CO2 in cold weather. If you are planning on playing during the winter, you may want to look into purchasing an HPA tank. Keep in mind though, even with HPA and "winter fill" paint, you may still experience a lot more ball breaks in weather any colder than 30*.  It just happens.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:25pm
ok - thanks for answering my shout-out.
i think i was a little bit rough in typing yesterday.

tippmann has offered a replacement and check-up today an i will see what will happen after that.
in the meantime: this is the video from my "gun" doing the tombstone-failure:

http://www.digitalcoregraphics.de/SHOW/A5_TOMBSTONE_LEAK.MOV

as you can see: there is something very wrong.
i can tell you that it has been disassembled very carefully to NOT damage any internals or stress up the o-rings.
also everything is lubed with tippmann original oil.

there is a failure in this marker - if you don't think so, tell me why ;o)

i will keep you informed about how everythings moving forward...

best regards,
andré
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:34pm
Video will not play for me.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:40pm
but this one will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu5er7y_r0E&feature=player_embedded

i will add some words cause it seems that tippmann is doing all they can to help me out....
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:42pm

ah! works better this way Big smile
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:47pm

I was going to suggest that you try replacing the o-rings in the tombstone, but then upon closer look, it doesnt appear that the tombstone latch between the trigger and tombstone is latched. Did you misplace the spring? At about 24 seconds, I can see it pretty clearly, and it does not appear to be latched. If not, that would likely be your problem.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 31 January 2011 at 2:02pm
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 2:01pm

it is placed right...
but maybe the spring is too weak (colored red)

the hook (plastic) flips back when firing - as you can see.
but the spring is in correct place. i checked that several times...

cheers!
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Armitage Armitage wrote:

it is placed right...
but maybe the spring is too weak (colored red)

the hook (plastic) flips back when firing - as you can see.
but the spring is in correct place. i checked that several times...

cheers!
If I remember correctly, that hook should be metal and it definitely should not be coming loose. The spring is actually sometimes difficult to get back in properly. You may want to try taking the marker apart and comparing to the manual to make sure you have it right. That spring is pretty strong and there is no way it should be coming loose even when you fire.
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 4:00pm
...i can tell you: this one is PVC, that spring is red and a little loose. can easily squeeze it with two fingers...

marker will be on it's way tomorrow...
if this is the problem, then there IS no problem.

i read in a few topics that tippmann has exchanged the hook from alu (AL) to pvc.
and that is in fact also here and makes the tomb come out cause it flatters when you shoot.

i am wondering why the a5 2011 has none of this hook... maybe cause this is the weak point?

regards! Star
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic