upgrade to x7 or not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: upgrade to x7 or not
    Posted: 05 February 2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by FlyByNight FlyByNight wrote:

I can't find the announcement but basically it happened when the Phenom Mechanical was introduced.  You can get the X7 basic for $50 less now - probably while supplies still last.  The Phenom Mechanical is the same price as the X7 was at $299 - between an X7 and a Phenom, at the same price, it's a no-brainer.  It's not surprising at all they decided to come out with a non e-trigger version of the Phenom to replace the X7.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find any of these deals.
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 12:08pm
hmmmm....

ok - thank you.
bookmarked this link.

i will try again - let's see if it works...

Regards,
André
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 12:02pm
According to what I see the two use the same barrel adapter assembly #02-69, which would lead me to the conclusion that the old Flatline should still be able to be used on the new model.

I got the info from www.tippmannparts.com .
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2011 at 11:48am
YAY!

TIPPMANN™ just sent the new Model 2011 as an exchange for the A5 that has the Tombstone-prob!
Unbelievable!

That's what i call "customer satisfaction".
I love it an i am very sorry about that what i said in a hurry...

But this is what comes up next:

Is the old Flatlinebarrel (That bull-cylinder) compatible? It feels to me as if it won't fit in there correctly. That "chassis" cannot be tightend up right. There's a little narrow cleavage because of the flatline-barrel and i don't want to tighten the screw that far cause i am worried about that i can do any damage to the front of the marker...

If you ask me: Old Flatlinebarrel does not fit the A5 2011... Could it be?

What i know for sure: The Doubletrigger from the old A5 does not fit. It is definately different and won't work.

Wink Very happy again - anyone who knows more about the Flatline here? Do i need the new one (with grip) and sell the "old cylinder" ?

(sorry for my - maybe - bad english...)
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Odd. I will admit I didnt realize they changed from aluminum tombstone latches to plastic. Not a good decision IMO. Sometimes there is a hiccup in production, and a bad part gets through. I am sure Tippmann will make it right.

It also sucks missing a day of play due to technical issues [...]

thanks a lot for your backup!
i will keep you informed of how it's being solved - and how fast.
let's see what's coming up...

best regards,
andré

PS: note to myself: "hook" is named: LATCH... Wink
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 4:53pm
Odd. I will admit I didnt realize they changed from aluminum tombstone latches to plastic. Not a good decision IMO. Sometimes there is a hiccup in production, and a bad part gets through. I am sure Tippmann will make it right.

It also sucks missing a day of play due to technical issues. I know most of us have experienced that at least once. A lot of regular players tend to carry more than one marker, at least where I play for just such occassions. I had an instance where between my brother and I, we had 6 markers that we had brought to the field. Due to various issues that we failed to work out prior to heading out, 4 of the 6 markers were outright not working, and of the remaining 2, only one worked totally reliably. It happens.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 31 January 2011 at 4:57pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 4:16pm
also here:

http://www.paintballer.ie/tech-tent/1835-tippmann-5-help-tombstone-adaptor-leaking.html

scroll down and you'll see: this hook is alu, yes. compare it to the video. when the hook is flattered it should loose the "black" from it's surface like in the pictures of the guy who complained about the same issue.

but on mine: it doesn't - why? it's plastic Embarrassed

strange feeling about that issue...
it's my first gun, i've been VERY careful taking it apart when i first heard that hiss out of tht tombstone.
using the tippmann-videos i managed it to carefully have a look whats wrong inside - unfortunately the rest of the PAINTBALL-DAY in germany (well, my friends were really excited seeing me checking the gun and not playing for 4 hours...)...

so... bad luck? maybe you can understand why i was a "little" upset with this...

Cry
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 4:00pm
...i can tell you: this one is PVC, that spring is red and a little loose. can easily squeeze it with two fingers...

marker will be on it's way tomorrow...
if this is the problem, then there IS no problem.

i read in a few topics that tippmann has exchanged the hook from alu (AL) to pvc.
and that is in fact also here and makes the tomb come out cause it flatters when you shoot.

i am wondering why the a5 2011 has none of this hook... maybe cause this is the weak point?

regards! Star
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Armitage Armitage wrote:

it is placed right...
but maybe the spring is too weak (colored red)

the hook (plastic) flips back when firing - as you can see.
but the spring is in correct place. i checked that several times...

cheers!
If I remember correctly, that hook should be metal and it definitely should not be coming loose. The spring is actually sometimes difficult to get back in properly. You may want to try taking the marker apart and comparing to the manual to make sure you have it right. That spring is pretty strong and there is no way it should be coming loose even when you fire.
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 2:01pm

it is placed right...
but maybe the spring is too weak (colored red)

the hook (plastic) flips back when firing - as you can see.
but the spring is in correct place. i checked that several times...

cheers!
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:47pm

I was going to suggest that you try replacing the o-rings in the tombstone, but then upon closer look, it doesnt appear that the tombstone latch between the trigger and tombstone is latched. Did you misplace the spring? At about 24 seconds, I can see it pretty clearly, and it does not appear to be latched. If not, that would likely be your problem.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 31 January 2011 at 2:02pm
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:42pm

ah! works better this way Big smile
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:40pm
but this one will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu5er7y_r0E&feature=player_embedded

i will add some words cause it seems that tippmann is doing all they can to help me out....
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:34pm
Video will not play for me.
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 1:25pm
ok - thanks for answering my shout-out.
i think i was a little bit rough in typing yesterday.

tippmann has offered a replacement and check-up today an i will see what will happen after that.
in the meantime: this is the video from my "gun" doing the tombstone-failure:

http://www.digitalcoregraphics.de/SHOW/A5_TOMBSTONE_LEAK.MOV

as you can see: there is something very wrong.
i can tell you that it has been disassembled very carefully to NOT damage any internals or stress up the o-rings.
also everything is lubed with tippmann original oil.

there is a failure in this marker - if you don't think so, tell me why ;o)

i will keep you informed about how everythings moving forward...

best regards,
andré
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Armitage Armitage wrote:

upgrade! the a5 will stress you up!
airleaks around the annoying tombstone that cannot be fixed and ballbreaks in the flatline.

go and get a real marker. this one is a toy and i hate it so much.
im very sorry for the money i spent on that. never ever!
I have owned several A-5's and have yet to have any of them leak from the tombstone. Typically such leaks are caused by lack of oil, improper placement of the o-ring and/or damage to these parts from disassembly. I'm sure Tippmann will fix the issues for you, free of charge.

As for the Flatline, it can be picky on paint. It does not like soft/brittle paint, so it does take some experimenting to see if the paint you are using is compatible. Also, keep in mind that cold weather makes paint brittle. Personally, I wouldn't attempt to use a Flatline barrel anytime the temperature was below 30*F.

CO2 can also cause other issues in lower temps. FPS drop off, freezing up, wildly inconsistent FPS, o-ring damage and other issues are typical problems with using CO2 in cold weather. If you are planning on playing during the winter, you may want to look into purchasing an HPA tank. Keep in mind though, even with HPA and "winter fill" paint, you may still experience a lot more ball breaks in weather any colder than 30*.  It just happens.
Armitage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armitage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 5:40pm
upgrade! the a5 will stress you up!
airleaks around the annoying tombstone that cannot be fixed and ballbreaks in the flatline.

go and get a real marker. this one is a toy and i hate it so much.
im very sorry for the money i spent on that. never ever!
hoyt87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoyt87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2010 at 10:39am
thanks for the info even thou i kinda new that but look at from my point of view i get 230 off my a5 that leaves me negative 70 +18 in tax for the gun and a 30+ barrel upgrade if it is true about everyone saying u don't need to upgrade the x7 phenom. i was only looking at an extra 30 bucks  and a fully decked out x7 would out do a stock x7 phenom even with a smart parts 30 barrel vs fully decked out x7 with barrel kit

and i have $30 to spend on a marker after i sell my a5 but i might have a  hundred + to blow on an x7 phenom if people aren't lying about it does not need any internal upgrade

FlyByNight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyByNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 11:19pm
I can't find the announcement but basically it happened when the Phenom Mechanical was introduced.  You can get the X7 basic for $50 less now - probably while supplies still last.  The Phenom Mechanical is the same price as the X7 was at $299 - between an X7 and a Phenom, at the same price, it's a no-brainer.  It's not surprising at all they decided to come out with a non e-trigger version of the Phenom to replace the X7.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2010 at 6:24pm
^^^So where did you get the information that the X7 has been discontinued?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic