Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Paintball Ideas / News From Tippmann
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tippmann speedball gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote codfan8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tippmann speedball gun
    Posted: 25 January 2011 at 5:17pm
maybe tippmann should move on from woodsball guns and try making speedball guns but have
center feed
flex valve or spool valve like on x7 phenom
clamping feed neck
no safety full auto or safety three shot burst true full auto and true three shot burst
new type of board with adjustable burst fire rounds
double trigger
make it look cool
internal gasline
make it so theirs lots of upgrades (response,trigger,flatline,e-grip etc)
try make it look like the gryphon
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 10:58am
You'll never see Tippmann move away from the woodsball market. Why would they? They're the top company in the field. There are numerous companies out there vying for the top-dog position when it comes to speedball and such, but when you look at the woodsball world, who even comes CLOSE to matching what Tippmann's got?

Kingman used to be close with their Spyder line, but that's sort of fizzled out. There are dozens of companies out three making and selling accessories for the entire line of Tippmann's woodsball markers.

They're dabbling with getting onto the entry level speedball stuff, like with the Gryphon, but its not their market. Woodsball will ALWAYS be around, and as long as it is, you'll see Tippmann running the show. Why leave what you're best at?

?

Magoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 1:20pm
I kinda want to build a speedball gun out of the Phenom, but I'm not willing to drop the money on one. Like the E-Mag, I believe a lightened, center-feed Phenom could do very well on the speedball field.

But the problem is name. Like Reb said, Tippmann rules the woods. However, they're the laughing stock of the speedball field. They used to try with the E-Bolt 98C.

Edited by Magoo - 09 February 2011 at 1:20pm
Uber J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uber J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 10:45am
i think a lot of people will be very surprised by Tippmann's direction this year! Consider that they have in a very short amount of time produced a working spool valve design in two platforms, phenom and tpx. they have also purchased NXe, who for the most part were speedball associated. and have hired or worked with several industry engineers from angel, automag and the like. the gryphon for what its worth was a "entry level" speedball gun; centerfeed, double trigger, locking feed neck, internal gas line. im not saying there will be a tournament level marker but you may see Tippmann crossover into speedball sooner than you think!
The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2011 at 4:04pm
NXe was a softgoods manufacturer.
Uber J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uber J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 8:28am
Yes i understand NXe was a softgoods manufacturer, but what side of the paintball scene did NXe favor more? its almost inevitable for a company to branch out into new territory, Tippmann will always be associated with woodsball even if it tries the speedball scene, but that doesnt mean they should not try. as on e of the few paintball companies to be growing and earning they are in the best position to "experiment". all i can say is wait and see. i for one am very excited of whats to come.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 9:30am
I don't see it. In order to be competitive, there would have to be a total revamp rather than repackage of the existing 98 internals into yet another recast frame. Perhaps by using the Phenom valve, they have a base, but I just don't see them straying away from the clamshell design that has been integral to nearly every marker they have made since the introduction of the 98. Also, ironically the speedball oriented manufacturers seem to be moving more towards woodsball, i.e. Dyes new tactical line, Bob Long Mtac, etc. Seems counter to the industry movement. Also, it's a pretty big investment in an uncertain time. Everywhere it seems fields are closing down, companies are being bought, and people are leaving the hobby. Stranger  things have happened, but unless you have a mole inside Tippmann with some differing info, I am very skeptical. Plus you have to overcome the stigma of the Tippmann name within the speedball crowd. If you want to hold up the Gryphon as an example of moving in this direction, they're going to have to do a lot better than that ugly turd of a marker.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
tacogood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacogood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 10:49am
i agree.  they already have manufactured the Gryphon which looks somewhat like a speedball gun but it could use some improvements.  Center feed sounds good.  should come standard with a double or blade  trigger (same thing i know) for faster rate of fire.  No point in the internal gas line it just takes up space for the internals.  Popular with the other Tippmann markers there cant be a front grip.  No speedball markers have frontgrips and the ones that do are just part of the gun.   I would be very excited for a tippmann speedball gun but it would have to be inexpensive...kind of like a prototype and then the community could give them there feedback.  If they did make a speedball gun i would hope that it looks like the Gryphon.  It looks good but the rest is...not so good. 
Its not that i think stuipidity should be punishable by death, i just think we should take the warning labels off of things and let the problem handle itself.
Uber J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uber J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:03am
 I will tell you that i do work at Tippmann and have for the last 8+years, started on the assembly floor worked my way up to service and now to Quality engineer. And as someone who plays all styles of paintball rec, woods, scenario, tournament, and pump this is the first time i am excited about what we have planned.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:11am
Originally posted by tacogood tacogood wrote:

i agree.  they already have manufactured the Gryphon which looks somewhat like a speedball gun but it could use some improvements.  Center feed sounds good.  should come standard with a double or blade  trigger (same thing i know) for faster rate of fire.  No point in the internal gas line it just takes up space for the internals.  Not really. It's actually about the only part of the design IMO that they got right. Popular with the other Tippmann markers there cant be a front grip.  No speedball markers have frontgrips and the ones that do are just part of the gun.  Nearly every marker currently made has a foregrip of some sort excepting pistols. Most have either a regulator or electronics in them, excepting Automags which often use them as a gas thru. AGD markers aren't typically considered speedball markers though either. I think most would agree that a foregrip of some sort is necessary.  I would be very excited for a tippmann speedball gun but it would have to be inexpensive...kind of like a prototype and then the community could give them there feedback. Releasing a prototype to the public would be wrong on many levels. What happens if the prototype is a peice of crap? It takes a long time to overcome a bad impression.  I also disagree with the entry level aspect. Go midrange. If you continue to always put out entry level crap, everyone associates you with entry level crap. Part of the reason most speedballers won't even consider a Tippman.  If they did make a speedball gun i would hope that it looks like the Gryphon.  It looks good but the rest is...not so good. I so disagree with all of this statement, the Gryphon is quite possibly one of the ugliest markers release aside from the powerdrill looking thing they had a few years back. The name escapes me right now, but it was horrendous.  
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
tacogood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacogood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:11am
Im excited about a speedball gun but they have to keep making their current guns.  Im gonna die if they stop selling 98C, A5, X7, X7 phenom, and TPX. 
Its not that i think stuipidity should be punishable by death, i just think we should take the warning labels off of things and let the problem handle itself.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:13am
I doubt they will stop selling them.  BTW, I never had a single issue using my A5 in speed ball.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Uber J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uber J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:28am
oldpbnoob- the name of the drill looking marker a few years back was the Triumph, and yes they were fugly. i also agree with you to some extent that most people, at least nowadays, dont consider the automags a speedball marker, however, at one time they were used by pro teams in tournaments.

tacogood- Tippmann will never stop making and selling 98s, A5s, or any other woodsball markers. after all its their bread and butter.

Ceesman762- much like you i always did well with an A5 in speedball even though i preferred a 98 with centerfeed and ebolt, as did Tippmann Effect (psp team in 05-06) however there is something to be desired about the weight and size of these markers, right?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Uber J Uber J wrote:

oldpbnoob- the name of the drill looking marker a few years back was the Triumph, and yes they were fugly. i also agree with you to some extent that most people, at least nowadays, dont consider the automags a speedball marker, however, at one time they were used by pro teams in tournaments.
And people used to use horses and buggies at one time as well, so not sure of your point there. We are living in the here and now, and now people are looking for smaller, lighter, faster and more efficient. Most speedball players these days don't typically use AGD markers in competitive play though due to their size and weight. I own several AGD markers, 2 of which are E-mags, and while cool they are gas hogs and not truly on the same level as most other modern markers as far as speedball goes.

It will be interesting to see if Tippmann truly does attempt an entry into "speedball type" markers. However, I also believe that if it ends up being another rehashed 98 variant, it will never gain true acceptance into the genre. Designwise, it will also have to be considerably better looking than the Gryphon. I have felt since the release of the Phenom that there was potential with this platform, hopefully Tippmann goes big with it rather that churning out something mediocre.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:47am
Weight has not been an issue to me with the A5. The original hopper was an issue for me, I dumped it an put on the X7 hopper for it's low profile.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Weight has not been an issue to me with the A5. The original hopper was an issue for me, I dumped it an put on the X7 hopper for it's low profile.
Nor is it really an issue with me.... much. If/when you start playing with other markers you start to realize how heavy Tippmanns are when compared to some others, especially markers geared towards speedball. Even among my Mags, there is a huge weight difference. It's odd how it doesn't seem all that heavy until you carry something much lighter around for a few days of play and then try to go back. Part of me is afraid to take the Invert Mini that I just picked up for fear I will try to go back to my Mags and be annnoyed at the weight difference. As it is, my very customized E-mag get little field time because compared to my non-E mags, it is a freaking beast.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 12:14pm
I have tried an EGO and the Smart Parts Ion, I like them both after a full day at a local field, but I actually missed the weight of my A5.  The others felt as if I treated them roughly that they would fall apart on me.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 12:26pm

The ION probably would have.... Actually, my brother has one that he tinkers a lot with and at this point has it modded with an SP1 body, and BT Rip Clip set up that connects to a plate on the stock so that it sits actually directly behind the marker. He was beating on it pretty hard a few weekends ago and it seems to hold up. I didn't mind the weight that much either at one time. I think if you go back and look at some of my first posts a couple of years back, I used to defend the weight of A5's etc. My thinking has changed honestly, and I find myself gravitating towards lighter markers. However, I also pretty much only play big games/scenarios, so every time I play, I find myself walking A LOT. I'm not in the best of shape, and any weight reductions I can get is an advantage.

tacogood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tacogood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 5:32pm
Yah i played along side a guy with an ION and wow that thing was just terrible.  Its performance was great but he didnt use it once the entire day because he couldnt keep it working.
jerseypaint View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerseypaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2011 at 8:47pm
Ions were always a pain, but they came cheap and were easy to make your own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic