Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Firearm General Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firearm General Discussion Thread
    Posted: 10 February 2012 at 1:08am
I got that, and it is sort of my point exactly.

There is nothing wrong with a Norinco 1911. It might not be a Nighthawk or a Wilson Combat or a Christen arms but it is easily on par with Springfield and better than some like Auto Ordinance. But it is a solid 1911 with metal work that is on par with many other brands and is more or less indestructible. It'll not wear out.

And you can take it to someone like Les Bauer to get it customised. There are some American brands he refuses to work on.

I do agree that a solid metal weapon is better than a polymer cookie cutter weapon to be handed down from father to son, but that might just be because the polymers haven't been around long enough. How'd you feel if your dad gave you a H&K VP70? If you are buying a beater that you want to shoot that can be passed on, then why not buy economical? If you want something that is valuable then you can buy one of those $3000 jobs.

Nice Tallen. I don't think I have a picture of my .44, but this is a factory finished Pietta 1851
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 4:33pm
Update:

It be done! Well, except for sending it out for "real" bluing at a gunsmith. I've got the Birchwood Casey "Super Blue" on there right now which looked great until you start blending it per the directions. I'd hot-caustic blue it myself, but the brass bead front sight is pressed in and the sodium hydroxide would just dissolve it and plate it over the rest of the metal (which is no good by any means) so it'll require taking to a gunsmith to at least remove and re-set the front sight. But for what I'd pay for that, I might as well just have him do the whole job.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 3:06pm
There seems to be an epidemic here lately of people confusing "disagreeing" with "misunderstanding."
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 2:47pm
You guys are not really understanding what I am getting at. 

1911's are my favorite pistol design, and IMO, a pistol that often times one has from inheriting it from someone else or you hear someone say "This is my great-grandkids 1911" when they are 35 and they have a 6 year old son. The 1911 in my family still gets shot at the range a lot and isn't original or a safe queen by any means. New barrel, sights, trigger, hammer, slide catch, the whole shebang. 

While I know any Norinco or RIA 1911 shoots great, I would rather own/pass on a "name brand' 1911. If I were buying a pistol I really didn't care about and might even sell at some point in my life, I would probably get whatever was cheapest and fit my needs. 

Kayback, you misunderstood my heirloom comment. My grandfather didn't buy his 1911 as an heirloom, he bought it because he wanted the real deal to shoot in the 1970's and he was accustomed to his issue 1911. Things like that because heirlooms because they meant something to someone and continue to do so. You might have grandkids who shoot your Glock long after you turn to dust and they'll say "This was my granddad's G36(or whatever it is). I am happy he didn't buy some dumb Hi-Point".

The only analogy I can think of is Whiskey. You can give someone a bottle of Old Crow, which will work fine, but often people don't go for it.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 2:40pm
Wow! I'd only heard it suffered from peening. The one I was was beating itself to pieces compared to a fiends M1A.

Maybe it is the turn of the previous century weapons they do well? The 1897 pump action trench gun is also good to go. I believe they make an acceptable lever action shotgun as well.

I honestly get the Made in USA for something that is a classic, but if you aren't collecting I don't see the point of buying expensive because you can.

The example above of the muscle car vs the Fusion isn't true. That's like comparing a WWII Ithica 1911 to a new QSZ-92. That isn't what's going on here. It's more like comparing a 1960 Mustang with a new car built using the same specs and probably jigs as the 1960 Mustang, from a foreign company for 1/6th the price of an original.

Like I said there are some I'd avoid, but some I'd be happy to use.

KBK
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Some of the other Norinco weapons, their "M14" specifically has some bad metal in it.KBK

I was hit with some bits and pieces when one came apart next to me about 8 years ago.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 7:42am
Can't say I own any safe queens. But to each its his own. Some people enjoy collecting more than shooting. And some people have the money to do both.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2012 at 12:46am
Sure, if you want to spend $3000 on a heirloom, then go for it. I want to spend my $ on a pistol that works and can take a beating.

http://christensenarms.com/handgun-pistol

Heirloom weapons are ok, but why not just teach them to shoot and get them some sort of .22 at an early age for themselves instead of waiting for your sorry ass to pass on and maybe leave it to them?

You could get them a nicely scrimshawed Peacemaker in .32 H&R Magnum.

The metalurgy in the Norinco 1911's is spot on. They will last forever as well. Is it a "Colt"? No. But then look at many of the WWII gun that are "collectors", they aren't either. Ithica, Springfield, Singer, hell even German Kongsberg. So wanting a "Colt" 1911 isn't always a Colt.

I would sort of agree with you on the "not American" 1911 thing, but for a shooting weapon, especially as a base for a "build" you would not go wrong with the Norinco's.

Some of the other Norinco weapons, their "M14" specifically has some bad metal in it.

KBK
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 11:45pm
Grawr I had a great response typed up and bam!-swiped the post reply mid text.

Anyhoo-I don't think any 1911 will hold the heirloom status the early models did. They were a hallmark of quality, style, and performance in their day and so we prize them for that. I absolutely love my Springer but I highly doubt my kids (if/when they exist) will be clamoring for my compact .45.

It's just like guitars-as much as I love my SRV, and I'm sure it will be valuable some day, it will never be a 59 sunburst.

If I were keeping a gun back for my grand kids to treasure, I'd look in the direction of a stainless Beretta 92. It was the quintessential action movie gun of the 90's, and really they're just getting harder and harder to run across. I can't name a single person that owns one.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 11:22pm
I am not bashing a Rock Island and I am sure it shoots great, but you heirloom an old Corvette, Mustang, or even a nice old truck, not a Fusion.
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I don't mind Foreign weapons, but 1911's to me are the type of firearm that I would hate buying a Norinco/Armscor/etc. Instead, you buy a reputable manufacturer and your great-grandkids enjoy shooting it.

Not bashing anyone with a Norinco, but in my family my (now deceased) grandfathers Colt Series '70 he bought new is at the center of it all. It wouldn't be the same to me if it were some random obscure brand and weren't a family heriloom. Just like people seek pre '64 Winchester .30-30's because they are the deer rifle. A new Marlin .30-30 will shoot great, but it just isn't the same.  

I would love an old Colt 1911 as a collector's piece, but my Rock Island is a rock solid (pun intended) gun for a good price. I believe that my Rock Island will last a long time and has a life time warranty
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2012 at 5:31pm
I don't mind Foreign weapons, but 1911's to me are the type of firearm that I would hate buying a Norinco/Armscor/etc. Instead, you buy a reputable manufacturer and your great-grandkids enjoy shooting it.

Not bashing anyone with a Norinco, but in my family my (now deceased) grandfathers Colt Series '70 he bought new is at the center of it all. It wouldn't be the same to me if it were some random obscure brand and weren't a family heriloom. Just like people seek pre '64 Winchester .30-30's because they are the deer rifle. A new Marlin .30-30 will shoot great, but it just isn't the same.  
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 7:10pm
^^ What he said (minus the Chinese statement I have no experience there)
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 6:26pm
I have no issues with Chinese or Phillipino built 1911s
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 12:26am
That was sent from my "smart phone" I'llfix grammar. and spelling later
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2012 at 12:24am
It is a Norinco. They are fantastic guns, especially as a base for conversions. They may be made in China but they are made right.

They mostly not available new in the US, cos they are Chinese, but there should be some second hand ones around . If Yup want one try look for a South African made Griffon. All they are are South African assembled. Norinco produce their parts.

It was the first gun I ever bought so some mistakes were made. I had the feed ramp polished to help feed hollow points. Turns out that isn't needed. Turns out magazines are more important in the feed cycle. It was also bought as a CCW, which is why it is a Commander so shooting. it isn't nearly as a easy as a 5".

It has had various things done to it.some more useful than others. The sightsI never both are PT tritium sights. The front bulb popped and I never bothered replacing it, night sights not that useful hey but the bulky sights do come in handy for one handed use.

The slide release is an STI, the grip safety a Wilson Combat, the flat main spring am Ed Brown and the trigger a Chip McCormik, the grips are VZ Operator IT's. Living in Africa sometimes means using what you can get.

I've had good luck with STI parts and their long trigger looks
good.

Edited by Kayback - 08 February 2012 at 12:30am
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 8:24pm
Kayback, who makes your 1911? How do you like it?
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Nah, that is next on the list. This is good old off the shelf Rustoleum.

It's a Chip McCormick trigger.

I can't tell if they still make them. They are great, but the trigger is rounded. Not the curve that fits your finger, but the actual trigger itself is U shaped.

KBK

So far, it is not in MidwayUSA catalog, I got the master catalog #35 last week. I am looking at possibly a Swenson ( I don't know if it made by The Swenson of 1911 smithing fame)  or the STI long trigger.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 3:59pm
Kayback you dolt, you grabbed your 1911, not your model 98!
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 3:29pm
Nah, that is next on the list. This is good old off the shelf Rustoleum.

It's a Chip McCormick trigger.

I can't tell if they still make them. They are great, but the trigger is rounded. Not the curve that fits your finger, but the actual trigger itself is U shaped.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 06 February 2012 at 3:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic