Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Firearm General Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 2:23pm
What/who's make trigger is that K?? I like that color combo. Nice work , let us know how it stands up to shootikng a few hundred rounds through it.  Did you use Duracoat?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 12:38pm
Nifty stuff on that paint.

I took my Springfield to the range this week and was incredibly impressed. Really eliminated my aversion to 1911's. I'd like to get a threaded barrel for mine as well.

I really dig the Trijicon sights, I think they're what sold me on that model.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 12:26pm
Pretty slick Kayback.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2012 at 12:17pm
What to do to a 1911 when you are bored.

Rattle can of paint. :) Not quite the finished article, I really just wanted to see if I like the non blued finish.

Off to the builders this month to be fitted for a supressor.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 5:17pm
I got to shoot an original .45-70 years ago. At the time it was the biggest rifle I'd shot. It was like launching a mortar from the shoulder.

I'd love to own one.

KBK
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 11:40am
Originally posted by DeTrevni DeTrevni wrote:

I have the biggest chubby for a black powder cartridge gun. Can't tell if I want a Sharps or Remington rolling block, however. Sharps are a work of art, but rolling blocks are simpler and cheaper...
Grrr. Spam filter killed my last attempt at a reply. Sharps are stupid simple, like 5 moving parts, all solid. I literally dream of finding my stolen .50-70 carbine. Reproductions don't have the workmanship or character of the originals. I really wanted to at least get a chance to shoot mine, and/or shoot a bear with it, but since it's a pipe-dream of ever recovering it, I'd shoot a buffalo.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

Jealous, I'd love to get into competitive shooting sometime.

Go to a local Sportsman club, they usually have SAFS that will teach you competitive shooting, or look up when and where a local match is on the NRA website.  I got really into Service Rifle matches and shot in them for a few years. I did well enough, shooting in the 390's-to low 400's. The beauty is you can build you're own AR platform for it, provided that is regulation, or an M1 Garand or M1A.  The AR will be cheaper purchase and feed for a starter match rifle.  My first matches as a civilian I used my M1 Garand and my stock Bushmaster shooting Wolf 62 grain bullets.  I held my own and got a lot or ribbing and ridicule from Pro shooters but they also gave me tips and respected me for my ability to shoot.

Where I live, in very rural Kentucky, its mostly fudds who just want to shoot trap.  And while I enjoy that, there just aren't many options.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 9:38am

Go to a local Sportsman club, they usually have SAFS that will teach you competitive shooting, or look up when and where a local match is on the NRA website.  I got really into Service Rifle matches and shot in them for a few years. I did well enough, shooting in the 390's-to low 400's. The beauty is you can build you're own AR platform for it, provided that is regulation, or an M1 Garand or M1A.  The AR will be cheaper purchase and feed for a starter match rifle.  My first matches as a civilian I used my M1 Garand and my stock Bushmaster shooting Wolf 62 grain bullets.  I held my own and got a lot or ribbing and ridicule from Pro shooters but they also gave me tips and respected me for my ability to shoot.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 2:34am
I have the biggest chubby for a black powder cartridge gun. Can't tell if I want a Sharps or Remington rolling block, however. Sharps are a work of art, but rolling blocks are simpler and cheaper...
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 12:37am
Never heard the term Idiot Scratch before. That's how you reasseble a 1911 anyway.....

If the finish on your gun is pristine, you aren't using it enough.

That being said, CalGuard/Gunkote is your friend.
http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/

just checked my 1911.I do have a small scratch there, but it is nothing compared to the wear on the slide from my holster, or the bottom of the slide from the dust cover, or a million others. Can't seem to find a camera right now. pics this evening.

KBK
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2012 at 12:24am
I for one, like my nice things to remain looking nice, my car however, is a lost cause.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 10:06pm
Calm down sir, I just spent a thousand dollars, I'd like to earn my scratches and nicks through use instead of failure to remember proper reassembly technique

I pretty much forgot about it an hour later, I just found it interesting that this is such a common occurrence they have a term for it. If you Google it there are whole threads where people post their battle scars.

I heard my uncle go off on the "guns are tools" rant once, but he carves his name into the receiver of twenty thousand dollar full autos with a pocket knife so there's that...myself I generally am OCD to a fault about most material things. I once polished a scratch out of my PS3 ;)

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 9:54pm
My gun is in very nice shape, but I attribute that to CZs polycoat.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 9:29pm

u mad

Only at the neat freak SOBs I always seem to run across at the range and on forums. If you gun is that nice and pristine, it should be behind the glass at the NRAHQ museum, not slinging lead down range.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 9:26pm
u mad
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 9:12pm
Dude, it's a gun, not some priceless work of art. Nothing pisses me off more than the people who bicker and gripe over every little fingerprint, ding, dent, or scratch. It's a 1911. It was made to be dragged through the mud, dunked in saltwater, and left uncleaned for days, if not weeks, on end. Anyone who calls someone else out on an "idiot scratch" is a goddamned moron themselves for fussing so much over a tool.

Call me when you start getting beaver tail scratches from the hammer striking it you've fired it so much.

Edit: and yes, those are rust spots you see. I've had that gun for near 10 years and haven't shot it in almost 1. Sue me....

Edited by tallen702 - 30 January 2012 at 9:16pm
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

ambi or are you a lefty?

very nice looking

Ambi safeties are pretty common now a days on 911s

Yeah tis an ambi. I was gonna order some grips for it, but I'm kind of fond of the Springfield setup.

Also, until tonight, I had never heard the term "idiot scratch." I now haz one.

Confused

I almost cried.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

ambi or are you a lefty?

very nice looking

Ambi safeties are pretty common now a days on 911s
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 5:59pm
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2012 at 8:38am
Huh the results for the IDPA 2011 postal shoot are in.

I shot in the Custom Defensive Pistol class - single stack .45ACP, basically the standard 1911 class. I came 26th out of 67 in the Novice category.
Quote 26      Gareth Davies      Time 106.57      Points 19 Penalties     0     0     0      0      Stage times 48.44(1)      11.74(5)      34.74(9)      11.65(4)

And I shot my baby Glock in the Enhanced Service Pistol class. Basically any "high capacity" gun that's been modified in some way. mine has external stippling on the gun. Yeah, not so good on that one. I was shooting in the Marksman category and I ranked 179 out of 185. Hmmmm

Quote 279      Gareth Davies      Time 131.65      Points 40 Penalties     0     0     0      0      Stage Times70.68(0)      11.82(6)      38.89(28)      10.26(6)

As you can see I was slightly slower and much less accurate in my shooting with my Glock. The first stage time was because of a magazine that didn't work and led to two failure to feeds and one failure to extract which took time to clear. The 3rd stage was just plain horrid shooting. Each point adds 1/2 a second to your time. So that one stage cost me almost 15 seconds just in misses. Not a very good showing for my Glock :)

That being said I've spent the last 10 years ranked as a "novice" with my .45 because I always stuff up the classifier. I made "marksman" this weekend. I've been shooting my Glock as marksman in both Enhanced and Standard Service Pistol for 9 years :)

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 29 January 2012 at 8:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic