Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Firearm General Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firearm General Discussion Thread
    Posted: 20 December 2011 at 11:51pm
So, I see a lot of people around here are shooters, so I thought I would make us a thread to encompass all of our conversations and keep it general.  Please don't bring politics into this, as it tends to stink up threads.

I'll start, my current handgun is a CZ 75B, and I've been shooting since I was about 5 on my dad's Ruger 10/22. 

I'm currently working to restore an old J Stevens Springfield Model 15 back to original shape for fun plinking.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 12:10am
How do you like your CZ Skillet? I've always been interested in getting one (shorty has a few CZs and I've liked them) but they seem overly expensive to me. Mind you, all of my pistols are service pieces (1911 PA63 & P08).

Once I've got the M4gery all dolled up. I'm going to start concentrating on getting the old Western Field .22 I have in as smooth of working condition as possible. It may require a trip to the local gunsmith who seems to be able to work miracles with just about anything I bring him. The trigger needs to be worked on (it's an older Mossberg group from their 321 series of rifles) as it feels a bit grainy/gritty on the pull. I also need to get the bolt and receiver polished up to make the action smoother. I'm also going to have him re-work the safety to make it less titchy.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 12:13am
You see, the CZ IS a service pistol, haha.  I paid 400 flat for mine, after taxes.  Walking in with brand new 50 dollar bills has a way of convincing the gun people, and the shop was bro-tier (they host the Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot, which is amazing).

Her name is Nika, and she is way more accurate than I am, and the steel really inspires confidence.  Run out of ammo, beat them to death.

Just took a few pictures of her:
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 1:16am
I lost all of mine in a boating accident.
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 1:30am
Gonna go look at some .45's tomorrow, definatly gonna look for a 1911. My dad said he would pay for the 1911 if he could have my AR. decissions decissions.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 1:44am
AR>1911
ammolord View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Started from the botttom, not there yet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammolord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 1:52am
I barely use it though, and it just dosnt have the thrill i used to get when I took it to the range. Thats the main reson im looking into this trade with my dad.
PSN Tag: AmmoLord
XBL: xXAmmoLordXx

~Minister of Tinkering With Things That Go "BOOM!"(AKA Minister of Munitions)~
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 3:10am
If you are static shooting with the 1911, you will be bored in the same amount of time.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 3:10am
I ran out of uses for my AR and sold it. AR's are like model cars to me...fun to build, neat to show off, but then become expensive toys that sit in the corner. Will I build another one? Absolutely. My next is going to be a target gun...bull barrel, trigger job, the works. But being jobless ATM, I needed the cash more than I needed the M4

As far as guns I'll never part with, my Remington 700 varmint in .308 is my baby. I just love everything about that gun, killed my first deer with it, so on and so forth. I think 700 bull barrels are a work of art, if a bit too heavy for practical use hunting.

I really enjoy my USP .40, more so then any other handgun I've owned, but I retired it from car duty just because I was always worried it would get stolen. Don't really know why, since the Glock .45 I replaced it with is actually a little tougher to replace (G36's are crazy hard to find around here, I really don't know why).

My dad just finished his .17 target gun and I'm pretty excited to get it to a range. .17's are a blast to shoot.

Whenever I get a good job and can muster up the 800 bucks or so I plan on putting together a silenced Browning .22. But that's distant, thanks to the black hole of money that is my project truck. I'll post pics of my guns later.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 7:40am
Get some cash together and take a course to shoot with your AR.

EAG do good courses.

Then say how bored you are with it.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 7:40am
My cousin and I traded .22's about a year ago.  My AR7 for his Mossberg 144. The Mossberg needs some stock work, a new rear sight and a re-bluing.  I had the Mossberg 340 growing up and loved the thing, my favorite rifle. My Brother in Law has it now and I have been working on him to give it back. I want Son's to learn on it like I did.
My "always go to the range" rifle are all of my AR's. I take all 3 because my Wife loves shooting all of them ( not that I don't). But of the 3, The Olympic Arms lower, Colt A1 upper,Bushmaster barrel, ACE skeleton stock build I did is my "go to". And then there are my Springfields, the M1A ( Highly recommend) and my Garand. They just feel good to shoot, very accurate, and I still get a thrill shooting either of them.
I am a 1911 man. I love my Gold Cup. I have been thinking a lot about another pistol, but currently it is not in the near future. I have been seriously looking hard at another 1911 (Kimber and Springfield),  the Glock 21 and the Beretta Px4 in .45 auto. 
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 8:59am
I almost bought a .22 GSG that looks like an MP-5 this weekend at a gun show... but, I'm too big of a tightwad to part with the money. Then I saw one I liked just as much at a local gun store for $100 bucks less...

$279 Very tempted, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I shoot 22 most of all, but I usually just take out my pistols. I have a ruger mark 1 (my grandpa's that he carried in the korean war, as a doctor they let you carry whatever you want, and I even have his leather holster for it). 

My father in law gave me a mark 2 about 15 years ago for Christmas, and it is my favorite. I was thinking about getting a mark 3 target pistol, but once I held a few and realized just how heavy they were. I changed my mind. 
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 9:13am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

I almost bought a .22 GSG that looks like an MP-5 this weekend at a gun show... but, I'm too big of a tightwad to part with the money. Then I saw one I liked just as much at a local gun store for $100 bucks less...

Definitely not a bad price seeing as how they were what... about $500 or so when they first came out. I've used the one Shorty has/had (don't know if he still has it or not) several times and they're just so much fun. You can't help but burn up a lot of ammo with them because they're just such a stable little pea shooter. Definitely different than a modded 10/22 or other such semi-auto.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Definitely not a bad price seeing as how they were what... about $500 or so when they first came out. I've used the one Shorty has/had (don't know if he still has it or not) several times and they're just so much fun. You can't help but burn up a lot of ammo with them because they're just such a stable little pea shooter. Definitely different than a modded 10/22 or other such semi-auto.

Yeah ditto on the price. I've toyed with the thought of buying one, but my local shops want anywhere from 479-550 for them, and I just can't shell out that much for a 22.

They look really fun though, I've had a lust / obsession for an MP-5 since I was a kid.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 10:16am

I almost bought a .22 GSG that looks like an MP-5 this weekend at a gun show... but, I'm too big of a tightwad to part with the money.

Dude for that money I'd ask you to buy it for me and send you the cash. I wish it was as easy as that.

I've wanted one of those for years, but they want almost the price of a full MP5 here.

I honestly think the .22 rifles like the GSG and the M&P 15/22 cross the boundry between real guns and Airsoft quite nicely. They let you do things real guns can for around the price of Airsoft :)

Having shot a GSG I must say they are the bees knees when it comes to fun. If you do get one you will not go wrong.

I'd love to have a full set of .22's.

A 1911 with a .22 conversion, a Glock running one, a Sig Mosquito, an M&P15/22, the GSG MP5, A BRNO .22.......

.22 is where it is at if you doing paper punching at <100m.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 10:23am
I still have an AK in a box in pieces, someday I'll finish it, but I've been saying that for 4 or 5 years.

Winchester model 12 needs work since recoil makes shells jump out onto the loading gate.

The  20 ga 870 will be scoped someday.

My go-to .22 is an old Winchester 72A that I love so much I might put good metallic sights on it. I have a bone-stock 10/22 except for a peep sight that's begging for tinkering, my M597 could use the ejector upgrade and the new mags that supposedly work, I should get rid of that 10lb trigger pull while I'm at it.

I have a Swede mauser I don't shoot, since my Garand has become my favorite centerfire. The SKS and Mosin also aren't feeling the love. I shoot my Hawken occasionally, but it's smelly and takes a whole lot of cleaning. I've probably shot the .38 more than anything lately, she likes anything 158 gr.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 10:24am
Aren't the GSGs just basically 10/22s in airsoft gun bodies?  That said, I definitely want one, maybe a pistol as I've been looking for a little .22 pistol to shoot for when I'm broke.

I've also been contemplating a revolver lately.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 10:28am
Haven't heard a lot of good things about the GSG.

If I was to do it over again, I would buy a dedicated 22lr AR upper.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 10:32am
I've been wanting to get a CZ for while, specifically the P-01.   But, I doubt I will be making any gun purchases for the next 3ish years.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

I still have an AK in a box in pieces, someday I'll finish it, but I've been saying that for 4 or 5 years.

I was going to ask you about that. I have a M48 in the same condition, I might just stain the stock something dark, re-blue it and dump it.  My wife has been asking a lot about AK's lately, she hasn't shot one yet.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic