Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Firearm General Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

I still have an AK in a box in pieces, someday I'll finish it, but I've been saying that for 4 or 5 years.

I was going to ask you about that. I have a M48 in the same condition, I might just stain the stock something dark, re-blue it and dump it.  My wife has been asking a lot about AK's lately, she hasn't shot one yet.
I did a great job on the first two critical rivits, then made the next two ugly and chickened out. I found a company that can do the build. It started as an idea for a very cheap AK, I got a cheap Yugo parts kit and compliance parts, then discovered there are some very nice things about the Yugos (nobody made an AWB-compliant clone so no other way to get one than build it) and am on the fence as to having it built and still having a nice rifle that's cheaper than a Romy, or going all-in and adding a green mountain chrome-lined barrel, and having all the metal refinished, and possibly adding a "correct" scope rail, even though the full-stocked rifles didn't typically have them. Might as well get some new tritium sights while I'm at it too since these are about dead. In the meantime, it gathers dust.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 6:30pm
I'd like to get an AK, or a variant thereof.  I know people cringe at Century International, but they have some cheap stuff, and cheap is good.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 7:00pm
commies
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

I'd like to get an AK, or a variant thereof.  I know people cringe at Century International, but they have some cheap stuff, and cheap is good.

From my personal experience, I bought one of their HK G3 knock offs with a Hesse receiver many years ago. It worked, nearly flawlessly, but I couldn't hit the paper at 100 yards with out aiming off the paper approx, 2 feet low and right.  You are looking at an AK variant, it's an AK, it ain't supposed to hit anything smaller than a man at 200 yards. LOL It just has to work! I kid! I had the WUM-1 years ago, I liked it. I only paid maybe $300, new and unfired.
I found this on my first google search
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct765.aspx

Edited by Ceesman762 - 21 December 2011 at 7:24pm
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 7:56pm
Rofl: What .303? I am not familiar with any Commonwealth weapons in .303 other than the Enfield family.
...or move back to the United States LOL
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Rofl: What .303? I am not familiar with any Commonwealth weapons in .303 other than the Enfield family.
...or move back to the United States LOL

Lol, it is in the Enfield family. My dad is unsure which model and I've never seen it in person, but it is WWII era.

Yes, I get jealous that in some places in the States, all you need is a valid drivers license and a nice AR-15 can be yours. (AK-47 and all variants of it are also prohibited)
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 9:03pm
One of my favorite rifles to shoot is my MKIII .303 Enfield. She did survive the flood, it was one of the ones in the gun cabinet. After a bit of cleanup, you can't tell that it was covered from stem to stern in mud and silt. Those military rifles are awesome like that.

My .22 is a savage that I bought years ago. It had the cheap wal-mart scope on it, but if I could see it, I could hit it. I just threw away the scope because it too was in the flood. I have cleaned the rifle and am going to put some test rounds through it when it gets warm again to make sure that its still shooting well. All of the barrels were plugged with mud.

My kingpin to my small collection though, is my M1. I bought it as a shooter for $500. it's a CVI. That one was not in the flood, and remained safe with me at our place while its bretherin took a beating.

I have practically 0 experience with pistols at this point. With NY's gun laws bordering on absolute violations of the 2nd amendment, lack of time and money, I have still not got my pistol permit. That's in the works for the spring though.
I feel a little less of a man for not having much of a clue what the rest of you guys are talking about in your pistol threads...I'm only a half step above "NEED ME A DESERT EAGLE LOL" I think.

?

stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 9:07pm
have a brand newish AK i got through a trade when i needed money and had the overwhelming desire to get rid of MSAR STG. on the other hand i have a Stoger .22lr luger replica that needs some work, a browning .22 and a run of the mill winchester 190 .22 im fixing up for a friend of mine. apparently though the local gun shop takes 4 months to recieve a simple cocking handel from winchester. also have several other fire arms ive gotten over my 5yrs. of buying ,selling and hoarding.

Edited by stick_boy_2002 - 21 December 2011 at 9:08pm
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 12:04am
I'm still determined to buy myself a really nice rifle. Something along the FNAR/m1a/EBR lines.

Edited by usafpilot07 - 22 December 2011 at 12:16am
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 12:31am
You can't go wrong with the M1A, super nice and comfortable to shoot.
evillepaintball View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not sexy - only dangerous to self

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evillepaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 1:52am
Originally posted by stick_boy_2002 stick_boy_2002 wrote:

have a brand newish AK i got through a trade

Are you a tattoo artist?
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 2:03am
Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Are you a tattoo artist?

I laughed aloud. A lot. 
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 4:44am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I feel a little less of a man for not having much of a clue what the rest of you guys are talking about in your pistol threads...I'm only a half step above "NEED ME A DESERT EAGLE LOL" I think.

Basically you can contribute to any pistol discussion by saying Glock > everything. Maybe M&P > Glock > everything.

Especially when it comes to cops and civilians who aren't limited by FMJ only. Heck even in many military situations 9x19mm > any other pistol caliber. Mainly because all pistol calibers suck, and you can generally shoot better with the 9x19mm.

Glocks are the AK's of handguns, without the accuracy drawback. Hell even AK's don't have much of an accuracy drawback, unless you comparing it to long range custom AR's. But then the Glock will lose to custom tuned handguns as well. But like the AK it'll keep on ticking no matter what.

The M&P, except for a few teething issues, is basically a Glock with a nice grip.....

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 10:58am
I don't like the grip angle of a glock... It points up when I aim it. (personal preference thing)

I love my S&W sw9ve sigma. For me it is perfect, and very accurate. For the money it just can't be beat. but the handle is too long for it to be a daily carry for me...

I got it for $225 with 4 high capacity magazines back when it came out... (they had a $50 rebate, and included a card for 2 extra magazines with purchase.)

I've put over 600 rounds through it so far, easy to clean, and no safety to mess with. Trigger pull is a little much, but if you shoot pistols a lot, it isn't a big deal. 
They tremble at my name...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 12:16pm
I gotta say that I hated my Glock, something about the plastic doesn't inspire confidence for me.  My CZ, now thats a gun I can put rounds on target with.  The grip is natural feeling in my hand, and with one hand I can reach all of the controls, which is something I look for when I'm playing with a new pistol.

Also, the Glock Safety Action feels absolutely terrible to me.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

I gotta say that I hated my Glock, something about the plastic doesn't inspire confidence for me.  My CZ, now thats a gun I can put rounds on target with.  The grip is natural feeling in my hand, and with one hand I can reach all of the controls, which is something I look for when I'm playing with a new pistol.

Also, the Glock Safety Action feels absolutely terrible to me.

aye Captain.  aye

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 3:12pm
Then get the M&P.

Personal preference will be a biggie, but if you are wanting something to fight with, the Glock is hard to beat.

Generally speaking the trigger pull on a combat handgun will be more than the weight of the gun. They are all pretty much horrid.

Honestly I can't tell the difference between most pistol triggers. Unless it is a totally obtuse DA pistol, or a custom SA trigger they all pretty much do what I'm expecting. Especially if you run the gun on trigger reset.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 22 December 2011 at 3:22pm
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Then get the M&P.

Personal preference will be a biggie, but if you are wanting something to fight with, the Glock is hard to beat.

Generally speaking the trigger pull on a combat handgun will be more than the weight of the gun. They are all pretty much horrid.

Honestly I can't tell the difference between most pistol triggers. Unless it is a totally obtuse DA pistol, or a custom SA trigger they all pretty much do what I'm expecting. Especially if you run the gun on trigger reset.

KBK

"a totally obtuse DA pistol"  

This is what a Glock feels like to me.  I can still squeeze off rounds fast with one.  It's just a totally bizarre feeling to pull a Glock trigger.

Edited by Lightningbolt - 22 December 2011 at 4:41pm
stick_boy_2002 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not 1 language strike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stick_boy_2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Originally posted by evillepaintball evillepaintball wrote:

Are you a tattoo artist?

I laughed aloud. A lot. 

no im not a tatto artist. i just needed a little spending cash while i was unemployed for 2 weeks, and wanted to get rid of one of my high end assault rifles. so i walked into a gun store with it and planned on just selling it, but i can never just walk out of a gun store without getting something new. so i took a trade and some money.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 6:02pm
Oddly enough, it's the trigger that makes me love my Glock. Both Glocks and Springfield XD's have a great feel to me.

The only DAO gun I've ever owned was a Sig, and I absolutely detested it. The trigger pull was so bad it was offputting...a Fort Worth PD officer tried to teach me how to pull it properly, but I eventually just swapped it for my H&K and never looked back.

That's no diss to Sigs of course, I wouldn't mind owning a real one, but the DAO variety just didn't appeal to me at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic