Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Firearm General Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.25  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2012 at 12:39pm

I enjoy shooting them, but sometimes its a **edited** to clean them

Yomillio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomillio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2012 at 1:31pm
Quite the collection of Glocks you have there, and nice 1911.  Two of my favorite type of guns.

My dad just ordered a G34 thats on its way now, pretty excited for it to come in.
chevrider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chevrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 9:23pm
love the pics of all the gun up on here i wish i had a can to show off my stuff to. you all are making me what to buy another one Smile
          AIRBORNE
       DEATH FROM ABOVE
        173rd 2/503 INF
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 11:21pm
So, tax season is just around the corner and I'll have some extra disposable income.  I'm thinking of buying an M&P .40 Compact.  Would an M&P be a good choice for someone with stubby fingers?
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 11:44pm
Go to the store and fondle an M&P. IMHO, I think it is foolish to not do so when buying a firearm unless you're buying something for historical significance; IE a Luger, your grandpappys 1911, etc.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2012 at 11:59pm
True, that's the only way I can really be sure if it'll be the right fit for me.  Any holster recommendations?

Also, contributing (lol crappy cellphone pic):

The only firearm I currently own.  Mossberg 500 12 gauge.  Bought it used for around $130.  Upgraded the furniture to a Hogue Overmolded stock/forend combo.  I'm thinking of buying an 18" barrel for home defense and keeping the 28" for waterfowl hunting at some indefinite point in the future.

Also, $8 Winchester sling.

Edited by Brian Fellows - 09 January 2012 at 12:00am
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Brian Fellows Brian Fellows wrote:

So, tax season is just around the corner and I'll have some extra disposable income.  I'm thinking of buying an M&P .40 Compact.  Would an M&P be a good choice for someone with stubby fingers?

Why fortay cal?

Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 2:05am
Comp Tac Monotaur is the gold standard these days. They simply rock.

Raven Concealment are pretty good but have a 6 month wait or something.

The compact might be a little small if you want to do a lot of shooting. It does seem a nice compromise between the G19 and the G26 though.

KBK
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 2:43am
Love my minotaur.

Don't buy a sub compact with any intentions of it being a range gun. I bought mine with the sole intent because I wanted something I could conceal better, was 9mm, and double stack mag.

Is it fun to shoot? Not really, but it does fine at 7 yards

I'm a firm believer in testing before you buy. But any sub compacts suck to shoot, unless you have a pinky extension. Which if is attached while holstered, defeats the whole purpose. A lot of people will carry a spare mag, with a pinky extension.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 3:05am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Why fortay cal?

Because .45 ACP is a bit expensive where I live.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 8:16am

Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Why fortay cal?

Because .45 ACP is a bit expensive where I live.

Honestly, .40 will do nothing that 9mm cannot do and do it better.  All it is is a snappy lowered power magnum cartridge without the magnum component.  

I'd like to throw a Sig 2022 into the ring.  It can be chambered in 9mm and .40, but honestly .40 is garbage.  It is the answer to a question that was never asked.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 8:34am

So, tax season is just around the corner and I'll have some extra disposable income.

Every time I am to have disposable income to get a new pistol or rifle, life has a way of spending it for me on the little emergencies that occur. Lately I have been looking at slimming down my collection and upgrading what I already have. Once I get the M48 refinished I am selling that and using the cash towards a new stock on my M1A.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Master of MSPaint and bri's Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 9:36am
I made the big mistake of going to a gun show yesterday and not having someone knowledgeable to help me along.

Found a used Springfield 1911 with a bunch of mods done to it. Bought it through private sale for $400. I thought it was a good deal, had a nice trigger, was clean and was told by others it was a good deal. I bought some ammo and went to the range. It was super accurate but the slide would lag when it came forward. Sometimes the slide would lock back or the hammer wouldn't reset. I brought it back to the gun show to get rid of it, and was offered $400 towards a trade for other dealers. Some people said it wasn't worth $150.

In the process of showing the gun around, I was told that all of the mods had been installed by an amateur, as they were not tight fitting and had filing marks which actually hurt the feeding capability.

Anyway, there were some $400 handguns I was eyeballing and could have gotten in a trade at no loss. In my frustration and reluctance to make further bad decisions I went into the mindset of getting out ASAP with something new. I rushed into the decision and ended up with a Smith and Wesson Sigma in .40.

So, in short, I ended up overpaying for a gun I don't want. I'm going to see what I can get for what I have now and just go for something that I really want.

I'm never going to those damn shows alone again.
Skillet42565 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Strike 1: Taunting Mods on Facebook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skillet42565 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:02am
If you want to get rid of it, I'll take it off your hands haha.  Springfield Armory 1911s tend to be pretty nice guns, way better than those Smith and Wesson abortions they call Sigmas, haha.  That said, proper maintenance will go a long way in making sure that your gun lasts a long long time.

Also, people at gun shows will consistently low-ball you, or just be general Fudds about everything.  For 400 dollars, if you look around a bit you can find some really nice pieces.  I found a CZ 75BD (the decocking model), and probably could have got it for around 450 out the door if I would have negotiated with the fellows.  One thing about being in Kentucky is that we are blessed with excellent gun laws, and pretty nice gun shows, including the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot, which is something that everyone should see.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Skillet42565 Skillet42565 wrote:

If you want to get rid of it, I'll take it off your hands haha.  Springfield Armory 1911s tend to be pretty nice guns, way better than those Smith and Wesson abortions they call Sigmas, haha.  That said, proper maintenance will go a long way in making sure that your gun lasts a long long time.

Also, people at gun shows will consistently low-ball you, or just be general Fudds about everything.  For 400 dollars, if you look around a bit you can find some really nice pieces.  I found a CZ 75BD (the decocking model), and probably could have got it for around 450 out the door if I would have negotiated with the fellows.  One thing about being in Kentucky is that we are blessed with excellent gun laws, and pretty nice gun shows, including the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot, which is something that everyone should see.

Had I kept my cool longer I would have stuck with the 1911. It's gone now. The Sigma is here, but hopefully I can get its retail value out of it.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 11:13am
tolgak I hope you're not using that modded target comp gun for personal protection.  You shoot someone with that thing you'll fry
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 12:04pm
Tolgak, it could have been worse. A $400 mistake is a whole lot better than $4,000

Chalk it up as a learning experience.
Tolgak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tolgak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

tolgak I hope you're not using that modded target comp gun for personal protection.  You shoot someone with that thing you'll fry

How many times must I say it? I got rid of the 1911. What's wrong with a match gun for personal protection anyway?  I'd rather have a compact for carry once I get CCW anyway, but is there some legal ramification I don't know of with target guns?

I'm looking to somehow sell the Sigma and move to a P99 or Glock 17/19. I've fired the Glock and I like it. The P99 is super comfortable.
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 1:20pm
There is nothing wrong with using a target pistol for self defence. Lethal force is lethal force. A decent lawyer would make it a positive - increased accuracy means less liability.

I was also going to say avoid the smaller pistols for range work, but the M&P9c is larger than the Glock 26 or such sized guns. It is only marginally smaller than the Glock 19. It is sort of a combination of both. The Glock 19 is the smallest "range gun" I'd say. The M&P 9C seems to be what I wanted when I bought a Glock 26. My G26 now has a rail on it and can carry a light.

As for 9x19mm .vs .40 .vs .45... There is nothing the .40 will do that a modern 9x19mm won't do, except shoot accurately out of a M&P.

Outside of 15m, closer to 25m the 9x19mm M&P's are printing all over the place. Mostly when you use the 147grain rounds. I don't know the cause, some have said it is to do with the slide unlocking a mite early, but I have no proof of that. Some aren't and some are really bad.

This problem is not around in the .40 and .45 versions of the M&P.

I do not know if it affects the 9mm Compacts.

KBK

Edited by Kayback - 09 January 2012 at 1:26pm
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 1:48pm
So, can anyone tell me why Browning Hi-Powers (including clones) are so damned expensive right now?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic