Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We Stopped Dreaming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 7:56am
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I won't go as far as to say that I need a certain profit margin for all scientific endeavors, but I think the days of the "let's write a blank check to science" mentality in America are over. The same goes for military, public spending, so on and without end.

I wouldn't say that - the U.S. military budget is still larger than the next 14 nations combined, annually.

Talk about dollars better spent elsewhere.
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2012 at 2:10am
Hahaha, this is what the new Archer episode is about.
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Brian Fellows Brian Fellows wrote:

Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

I make sure my GPS on my phone is shut off every day.  I prefer a compass and paper map.........

A real man would use an astrolabe.

Hey I'll have to look into that.
Do they work in -15° temps?
Brian Fellows View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
That’s MISTER Fellows to you...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Fellows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Lightningbolt Lightningbolt wrote:

I make sure my GPS on my phone is shut off every day.  I prefer a compass and paper map.........

A real man would use an astrolabe.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 6:15pm
I know.

Edit:  And my previous post should be considered proof that despite my fondness for really bad puns, I can do subtle humor on occasion.

Edited by Mack - 15 March 2012 at 6:16pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 6:05pm
I laughed because Shatner is a Canuck
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

Hence I tend to trust the government bean counters to know when enough is enough.

That was your first mistake.  Big smile

That said, I think we (the U.S.) do need to fund a space exploration and have colonies and all that cools stuff because if we don't get there first someone else (like the Canadians) might and they'd spoil it for everyone else.

I can see it now in an alternate future.

"Kirk to Enterprise.  Beam me up we can't have phasers down here . . . the Canadians got here first and it's a no weapons allowed planet."
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

The fact that you don't plainly see the benefit of increased understanding of your origins, surroundings, and future, is what's sad.
Does it hurt to be that sanctimonious?

Not trying to be superior, it's practically common sense. Just a shame you're too centered on us, right here right now to realize it. Your interests are painfully shortsighted.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 5:53pm
I think that Americans, in light of our recent financial meltdown, have become more demanding regarding expenditures.

I'm not going to throw out an opinion here because this is way too deep and complicated to just say "I do or do not support the quest for more knowledge" but I will say that I do expect my tax dollars to produce results. Like it or not everything has a dollar value, be it your life or knowledge, and there are limits as to how far our budget is stretching.

I won't go as far as to say that I need a certain profit margin for all scientific endeavors, but I think the days of the "let's write a blank check to science" mentality in America are over. The same goes for military, public spending, so on and without end.

I don't think OPB is arguing against seeking knowledge so much as seeking it efficiently and with an outcome in mind. The trouble is that, without knowing at least some amount about the field in question (or even what field we're discussing here) I really have no opinion. Hence I tend to trust the government bean counters to know when enough is enough.

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 5:38pm

The fact that you don't plainly see the benefit of increased understanding of your origins, surroundings, and future, is what's sad.
Does it hurt to be that sanctimonious?
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 5:32pm
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 5:30pm
So again, because I disagree with spending billions of dollars a year on something when I feel there are better uses for that money I am sticking my head in the sand? Why is there always the assumption again that just because I don't agree with what you that I am ignorant? How are you any less ignorant for disagreeing with me? How arrogant of you to feel that my opinion is any less important or correct than yours.  How sad.

I'll say it again. It isn't because I don't understand what you are saying, I simply disagree with it. You can continue to imply that I am ignorant or scared of knowledge, but that is quite far from the truth. I simply feel there are better ways to spend hundreds of billions of dollars. And a lot of people agree with me.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 15 March 2012 at 5:33pm
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 4:43pm
You are being willfully ignorant. I'll leave it at that, you're happy to have your head in the sand.

"The size and age of the Cosmos are beyond ordinary human understanding. Lost somewhere between immensity and eternity is our tiny planetary home. In a cosmic perspective, most human concerns seem insignificant, even petty. And yet our species is young and curious and brave and shows much promise. In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival. I believe our future depends on how well we know this Cosmos in which we float like a mote of dust in the morning sky.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 4:08pm

I'll just sum up what oldpbnoob is saying: "It's not easy, and it's not RIGHT NOW, so we shouldn't even try. Because I dont care for it, nobody should."

Sorry oldpbnoob, you are painfully obviously being the stupid one here. How do you think we progress as a species? Being happy with where we are right now? Sad man....sad....
So again, because I don't agree, I'm stupid? Hypocrisy is hypocritical. Amazing how in the past 6 pages, I have gotten at least 4 forms of "if you don't agree with us you are beyond help or sad." As soon as I use the same tactic to argue than I'm stupid.

Sorry, but at this current time I feel there definitely better uses for $17,000,000,000 per year. Take into the equation that $100billion+ has gone toward the giant turd in the sky also known as the ISS and you have proably one of the most monumental wastes of taxpayer money ever. Even NASA has so much as agreed that it has been a horrendous blunder.

I'm not accepting "because we should" as a feasible excuse for this waste of money.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 15 March 2012 at 4:17pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 3:53pm
I'll just sum up what oldpbnoob is saying: "It's not easy, and it's not RIGHT NOW, so we shouldn't even try. Because I dont care for it, nobody should."

Sorry oldpbnoob, you are painfully obviously being the stupid one here. How do you think we progress as a species? Being happy with where we are right now? Sad man....sad....
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 3:35pm
I'm sorry, but if you guys are too stupid to see my side of the argument, I can't help you.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by Darur Darur wrote:

Beyond that, if you can't see the value in setting up manned colonies on other planets and expanding out from Earth, then there really isn't much more I can say.
Lets drop the snarky and how about you enlighten me? I'd love to hear about these values of spending billions of dollars building space colonies.

Because the quest to understand our existance is important, and simply being comfortable where we are with what we know now isn't enough and is unhealthy.
Why? To whom is it important? How does spending incredible amounts of money to send people to other planets help us understand our existence? Hit me back, I'll spark up a fatty and maybe I'll get what you are saying.

That's incredibly sad.
How so? Because I don't agree with you? I have yet to hear a single valid reason for attempting to set up manned colonies on other planets, other than "because it's important." If it is so freaking important, give me one flipping reason. ONE. I'm sick of the holier than though "if you can't see the value, I just can't help you" BS that some pseudo intellects try to pass off as wisdom. You aren't smarter or wiser than other people just because you think one thing or another is an important cause.

Originally posted by GroupB GroupB wrote:

Pushing our limits and travelling to new places is inevitably going to lead us to develop new technology, materials, manufacturing processes that will eventually make its way into the lives of the average person.  Even if we don't get anything of use from other planets or going into space, the technology we develop in that pursuit will be useful here on Earth in ways that people never would have imagined.

That isn't a good reason?
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 11:05am
 ITT through either Hollywood or sci fi lit colonizing other planets has been waaaay over romanticized. Living conditions, unless we found a planet exactly like ours, would be potentially horrific. If you thought the Pilgrims were up a creek, imagine trying to set up a colony on another planet. I'm not saying it wouldnt ever happen, but also don't feel that a lot of people that think 'how cool" have actually realized how incredibly harsh it would be either.

*** Wow, spam filtered out the fancy word for books... Had to abbreviate to lit.

Edited by oldpbnoob - 15 March 2012 at 11:07am
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:38am

Cost effectiveness............Maybe The fed res. should just print more money.

We haven't even proven that we can properly take care of this planet let alone setting out to fix other ones.

Maslow's hierarchy of needs:  Let's feed the starving families in this country first.  

I really can't get past the fact that they can't properly manage the business of sending letters from a to b for some reason. 

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2012 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

The Planets
And??? Are you insinuating that we can live on another planet in our solar system? Really? Perhaps part of the problem is people thinking that living in a metal and plastic tube on some barren planet where I can't go outside and have to drink water made from my own recycled pee is appealing.

I guess if you can't understand what I'm saying, I just really can't help you.

Maybe you wouldn't like it, but there are thousands of people who would jump at it the first chance they get. It would be a massive opportunity to be the first person where no life has been before. Plus, any planet that you wouldn't be able to go outside in wouldn't be considered to send a human to.
You mean like Mars? Do I need to post the links?

Perhaps I need to specify that by "going outside" I mean being able to walk outside without a spacesuit and some sort of breathing apparatus. 

Edited by oldpbnoob - 15 March 2012 at 10:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic