Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We Stopped Dreaming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 1:35pm

All he needs to do is fart while on the saddle

Edited by Lightningbolt - 20 March 2012 at 2:16pm
choopie911 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

Originally posted by choopie911 choopie911 wrote:

This is more like you can't pay rent so you stop sending your kids to school, because of the small cost of field trips, etc.

School is more important.
I disagree with your analogy. More appropriately, would be you can't pay rent, so you suspend your non-degree seeking night classes that you're taking for fun.

And the entire issue is that you think it is non-essential, which is foolish. Education is essential. This is education for the entire planet, not just 'mericuh.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 2:31pm

This is more like you can't pay rent so you stop sending your kids to school, because of the small cost of field trips, etc.

I disagree with your analogy. More appropriately, would be you can't pay rent, so you suspend your non-degree seeking night classes that you're taking for fun.

And the entire issue is that you think it is non-essential, which is foolish. Education is essential. This is education for the entire planet, not just 'mericuh.
Now you're just being obtuse.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 2:43pm

I wonder what the entire planets' contribution to the program is.

It just seems to me that the international comunity is incredibly critical of the American frame of thought as an automatic reaction rather than giving consideration to the opposing argument.

I may be a broken record here, but if you can't afford you can't afford it. What are the numbers that Canada contributes to its space program? A quick Google search shows that NASA is far and away the most well funded program on the planet. You could cut its number in half and still be almost triple the ESA budget / CSA budget combined.

Even with Obama's budget cuts NASA is still receiving 17 billion if my Google fu serves me correct. It cut the mars program by 30% for now, but again, if the international community is so outraged by our budget cuts, why are their own programs so poorly funded?

I don't pretend to know much about this stuff, but it just seems like the international attitude towards the American way of thought is incredibly biased from the start.

Of course I agree that cutting NASA to cut the deficit would be foolish, but it's part of a bigger picture. How about this analogy-You go to the grocery store on a cut budget. Obviously you'll make concessions. So you buy generic macaroni instead of the name brand. That one concession won't help you at all on its own, but that's clearly not your only concession.

Americans are calling for across the board spending cuts. The trouble is that we're caught in a political battle over the big cuts (welfare, military, etc) so the only clear cuts we can make are causes not politically championed.

GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 3:08pm

Now you're just being obtuse.

What is "obtuse"? 
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I wonder what the entire planets' contribution to the program is.

It just seems to me that the international comunity is incredibly critical of the American frame of thought as an automatic reaction rather than giving consideration to the opposing argument.

I may be a broken record here, but if you can't afford you can't afford it. What are the numbers that Canada contributes to its space program? A quick Google search shows that NASA is far and away the most well funded program on the planet. You could cut its number in half and still be almost triple the ESA budget / CSA budget combined.

Canada has a much smaller income than the U.S. - therefore our program reflects that.

Even with Obama's budget cuts NASA is still receiving 17 billion if my Google fu serves me correct. It cut the mars program by 30% for now, but again, if the international community is so outraged by our budget cuts, why are their own programs so poorly funded?

Because the GDP and space infrastructure of the USA is so much larger and readily available.

I don't pretend to know much about this stuff, but it just seems like the international attitude towards the American way of thought is incredibly biased from the start.

Biased towards what?

Edited by Rofl_Mao - 20 March 2012 at 3:10pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 3:27pm
Yeah, the USA has the best space program, and others may try to contribute, but the world largely depends on the discoveries and innovations coming from the US program. Without it, everyone suffers.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 3:32pm
I'm going to tackle this out of order because my own post was a little convoluted Wink
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Biased towards what?

The 'merica stereotype. We're blind patriots who oppose education in favor of blowing things up. Too complex to put into words here and really made up a small part of my point, but you get the idea.

Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

Canada has a much smaller income than the U.S. - therefore our program reflects that.

The CSA got (according to Wiki) 420 million dollars this year in funding. That's almost non existentent. For comparison, you give nearly 20 billion to your military.

American military funding (military specifically) sits at around 680 billion, and our space program sits at 17 billion.

My point is that on one hand you're referring to our military funding as grossly inflated because it represents the lion's share of global military spending, yet you won't apply that same logic to our space program. We take on the lion's share of spending yet we're not doing enough. Why is one program so much more valuable than the other? Who defines such a value?

I think to measure excess you need something to work as a standard, and it seems to me that this discussion is really void of such a standard.

stratoaxe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
And my axe...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 3:35pm

Yeah, the USA has the best space program, and others may try to contribute, but the world largely depends on the discoveries and innovations coming from the US program. Without it, everyone suffers.

And this I'll 100% agree with you on.

I'm not trying to pass off the US as some great behemoth of awesomeness, I understand GDP and whatnot, really I just want to put the argument into perspective with actual numbers rather than the ideological battle going on.

As far as your basic point though, I totally agree that NASA is more valuable than alot of people give it credit for.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by GroupB GroupB wrote:

What is "obtuse"? 
Lacking quickness of perception or intellect. Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity:
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Commie Canuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choopie911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 2:04pm

Originally posted by GroupB GroupB wrote:

What is "obtuse"? 
Lacking quickness of perception or intellect. Characterized by a lack of intelligence or sensitivity:

NO! It's a type of triangle! Duhhh
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by stratoaxe stratoaxe wrote:

I'm not trying to pass off the US as some great behemoth of awesomeness,
Commie.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 6:52pm
I'd like to direct everyone's attention to this link: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/03/21/this-is-why-we-invest-in-science-this/

/end debate.
GroupB View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GroupB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 8:31pm
Man, I can't believe that no one has made that argument yet.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 9:18pm
On a side note, I almost feel like the world wastes money on the Large Hadron Collider, but then again the LHC helps define physics and things we could never test to see if they are true. These tests lead to us being able to make further assumption and more theories. But basically, the LHC is looking for the "god particle (Higgs Boson)." This particle will help explain, hopefully, how everything has mass and helping us understand how our Universe can be made from nothing.
An interesting theory I heard recently is that we know our Universe is expanding at an accelerated rate. If we continue this, eventually our sky will go black because the rate of expansion will be faster than the speed of light. Well the theory is like how mass bends space time like this

our Universe is stuck in another universe and we are trapped in this bent space time. Right now we are traveling into the "bowl" and accelerating the closer we get to the bottom. Our Universe will reach the bottom, then begin to go up the other side meaning we will no longer expand, but contract. Thus instead of a big bang, we could simply be expanding and contracting many times.
These theories may be able to be put to rest if our science experiments can discover the Higgs Boson. I read something where the Pope actually congratulated some scientists on their discovery leading to the beginning of the Universe but wished for them to not go to far into it to mess with teachings.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 10:51pm
^The prevailing idea in science right now is that dark energy is causing the acceleration of the expansion of the universe, but that's obviously still up for debate.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 12:11am
That is definitely the most well received one currently but not proven true. We are pretty confident we know how the Universe was formed after E-44 seconds. In more remarkable numbers, when light had only traveled about E-36 meters.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 10:53am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I'd like to direct everyone's attention to this link: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/03/21/this-is-why-we-invest-in-science-this/

/end debate.
Awesome. So for 17billion/ year we get velcro, Tang and an efficient firehose.  That truly is a sound investment.

Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 11:52am
^^^ Hey . . . it's a REALLY efficient fire hose . . .

. . . and I like Velcro.
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2012 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

^^^ Hey . . . it's a REALLY efficient fire hose . . .

. . . and I like Velcro.
I bet you still have your OP velcro wallet don't you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic