Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First game in 3 years:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First game in 3 years:
    Posted: 22 September 2012 at 5:02pm
And while I hurt like hell, it's only because I slid into a stack of 55 gallon drums knees-first. Hit hard enough they moved 6 inches.

Anyway, got shot out in like a minute my first game but got back into the grove quickly after that. By the last game on the pallet and drum speedball field, I was diving for the snake like a champ and bunkering just like the old days. Only difference is now I need an inhaler to survive the day. Adult-onset asthma suuuuuucks.

Also, Shorty loaned me his Crossover. If you're in the market for a new marker, that's the one to go with right now. Great price point, super light, and it had better air efficiency than my Mini.

The FT-12 did admirably when played against other basic markers. The blade-style trigger definitely lets you get more rounds in the air than the most other stock markers of its class. I'm not a fan of the stock barrel, but who ever is. It's short, loud, and none too accurate though it is a slight improvement over the old stock '98 barrels. What I really liked was that the consistency in velocity with CO2 was much improved over a lot of basic markers. I was seeing variances of 10-12fps, but that was about it, not bad at all considering my Mini jumps 8-9 sometimes. It definitely had a great feel out in the field, and the compactness allowed me to tuck in tight where other mil-sim guys were having to lean way out to get their markers shouldered and aimed. I threw an old Lapco Autospirit on it and it fit like a glove, no issues getting past the barrel nut. That improved the accuracy greatly, but increased the length a bit, but not so much as to lose the advantage of its compact size. I really think that with a small tank(48ci) and an e-trigger dropped in, it would make a fantastic SMG for CQB scenarios.

All in all, a great day! The field I found is classic. Great asymetrical wooded fields with both pallet style and log bunkers. Great old speedball course with pallets, spools, and drums, and a nice airball field if you're feeling like that. Laid back atmosphere unlike Pev's down in VA, and only $20 to play all day since I had good paint and it's not FPO!
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
DaveEllis View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
back from the dead like Tupac

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveEllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2012 at 6:34pm
I also played on Saturday, no entry/air for the day and 40 dollar cases of Empire, a steal
oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 12:38pm

Actually played a couple of rec days last month and really had a decent time. Can't afford big games right now due to travel costs and all that, so $50 rec days are probably it for awhile.

"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Mispeld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mispeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 1:27pm
Wait, glad you had fun and all but you borrowed a marker from Shorty? And it worked? I don't believe it, so the rest of your post must be a lie too.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Mispeld Mispeld wrote:

Wait, glad you had fun and all but you borrowed a marker from Shorty? And it worked? I don't believe it, so the rest of your post must be a lie too.

Nope! It's true! He never touched it after it came back from Tippmann when they did the work on the board. The other two markers he let me borrow were fine as well as they were still in their boxes, tool bags unopened and whatnot.

Remember, he's not allowed to chrono his own marker, that's where it goes all pear-shaped on him.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 2:07pm
I miss paintbrawlz
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Mispeld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mispeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 3:43pm
Tallen you should come play caste at EMR this weekend
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by usafpilot07 usafpilot07 wrote:

I miss paintbrawlz

Uh... go play?

Mispelled, no chance for that. Have to work this weekend and play nice with the wife since we were apart last weekend (me here, her at Busch Gardens for a bachelorette party).
Rofl_Mao View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
request denied

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rofl_Mao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

I miss paintbrawlz

Uh... go play?

Mispelled, no chance for that. Have to work this weekend and play nice with the wife since we were apart last weekend (me here, her at Busch Gardens for a bachelorette party).

Hell, shouldn't that mean you deserve a game? Busch Gardens is awesome.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Rofl_Mao Rofl_Mao wrote:

I miss paintbrawlz

Uh... go play?

Hell, shouldn't that mean you deserve a game? Busch Gardens is awesome.

It did, hence me playing last weekend when she was down there.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 10:14pm

I miss paintbrawlz

Uh... go play?

Once I find some real employment, I'd like to try and get back into it a little. For now though, I only talk to one or two people who still play, and other than PBC, the options are few and far between.

I haven't played in over a year. I miss it like crazy, but it's just too expensive to justify it right now.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2012 at 10:36pm
I wear my old Hammer knee pads under my camo pants, and then a pair of real pads on top... Gotta protect those knees. Oh, and I wear a cup every time I play...

My first game of fall at Trails of Doom is this Saturday... Can't wait!

Don't know if you guys saw this or not, but here is a video I made from the first time I paid to play paintball earlier this spring at Paintball Country in West Chester Ohio. 

They tremble at my name...
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 9:10am
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

I wear my old Hammer knee pads under my camo pants, and then a pair of real pads on top... Gotta protect those knees. Oh, and I wear a cup every time I play...

This.

Kneepads - a set made for roofing; protection and traction.
An old set of issue jungle boots - ankles support and protection from punjis.
Slider shorts with the always important pocket for inserting protection for those delicate dangly bits.
Gloves
And the back or arm brace as needed.

I still try to play every weekend April - October, weather permitting.  Unfortunately, work has interfered with a lot of my paintball time this year.  (Plus missing a month with a minor, but painful, injury didn't help.)

Edited by Mack - 27 September 2012 at 9:13am
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Mack Mack wrote:

This.

Kneepads - a set made for roofing; protection and traction.
An old set of issue jungle boots - ankles support and protection from punjis.
Slider shorts with the always important pocket for inserting protection for those delicate dangly bits.
Gloves
And the back or arm brace as needed.

I still try to play every weekend April - October, weather permitting.  Unfortunately, work has interfered with a lot of my paintball time this year.  (Plus missing a month with a minor, but painful, injury didn't help.)

See, I've never worn a cup. Ever. But never ever taken a shot to the "boys" in any sport I've played except a ding or two in paintball which just hit the tip. As for the knee pads, my old JT hard-shell ones were great, but the velcro is shot and they won't fit over the new style baggie pants and won't stay on when placed underneath against my bare legs. I bought some slip-on compression-fit ones from Empire though, so I'll see how they do when they get here.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 10:18am
I get shot in the "boys" all the time... Course, maybe I have a bigger target or something. lol. 

In this game I got hit, but stayed around to film the rest of the game... And got NAILED in the cup, and it BOUNCED...

I can't imagine playing paintball without a cup. 

And I'm with Mack on the boots thing, I wear big tall Rocky's that I lace tight to keep from rolling my ankles... The fact that my feet never get wet, even when standing in the creek is a big plus. As well as having traction when other guys are falling down!
They tremble at my name...
Lightningbolt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
PHAT and PLAT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightningbolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 10:27am
The slip on knee pads are nice. Soft cup
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 10:49am
For shoes/boots, I used to play in combat boots, but now play mainly in cleats, even for the woods.
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 11:08am
I have a pair of the Magnum tactical boots, plenty of support and as light as sneakers and cleats.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

oldpbnoob View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not old, Not noob. May be Dave's grandma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldpbnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 11:18am
I rotate between an old pair of hiking boots and some Bates tactically boots that I got a few years back. Bates have better ankle support, and better for fields with water as they are waterproof. More or less.

I have to admit, that I'm a cup hater. I find them to be really uncomfortable and I chafe like crazy with em. Even when I play roller hockey, I rarely wear one. A guy I know cut a piece of foam so that it fits in the crotch of his pants when he plays paintball. Makes him look like he's hung like King Kong, but he swears by it.
"When I grow up I want to marry a rich man and live in a condor next to the beach" -- My 7yr old daughter.
Mack View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has no impulse! control

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2012 at 11:23am

I get shot in the "boys" all the time... Course, maybe I have a bigger target or something. lol.

Nah, someone had a scope*, First Strike rounds and was a good shot.

In this game I got hit, but stayed around to film the rest of the game... And got NAILED in the cup, and it BOUNCED...

I can't imagine playing paintball without a cup.

Semi-agreed.  I use 1 1/2 thick open cell upholstery foam (like goes in cushions) in my slider shorts.  It lessens impacts, breathes and is much more comfortable than a cup.

And I'm with Mack on the boots thing, I wear big tall Rocky's that I lace tight to keep from rolling my ankles... The fact that my feet never get wet, even when standing in the creek is a big plus. As well as having traction when other guys are falling down!

^^^That

See, I've never worn a cup. Ever. But never ever taken a shot to the "boys" in any sport I've played . . .

I have.

Actual conversation on a woodsball field.

Hidden Opponent:  "Are you out?"

Mack:  "Dude, I dropped my marker and I'm laying in the open holding my groin; what do you think?"

Hidden Opponent:  "You should put your hand up to show you're out."

. . .

Hidden Opponent:  "I meant your entire hand."

I've worn protection since.

Originally posted by oldpbnoob oldpbnoob wrote:

I have to admit, that I'm a cup hater. I find them to be really uncomfortable and I chafe like crazy with em. Even when I play roller hockey, I rarely wear one. A guy I know cut a piece of foam so that it fits in the crotch of his pants when he plays paintball. Makes him look like he's hung like King Kong, but he swears by it.

It works well.

*Microscope that is. LOL

Edited by Mack - 27 September 2012 at 11:25am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic