Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Tippmann Paintball > Marker Gallery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The free to me tippmann???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The free to me tippmann???
    Posted: 08 January 2014 at 12:13am
Sooooooo. I just gota marker for myself for the ripe price of FREE Tippman 98 custom. Not sure how old or what it's got or can be capable of. Serial number is 705371. Good marker??

I'd post a photo but I don't know how. Lol
jeepininaz
jeepininaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 1:14am
jeepininaz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 1:14am
jeepininaz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 1:17am
jeepininaz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 2:51am
So I pulled it apart to check the internals. Here's a pic does everything look ok O ring and assembly wise???

I read about polishing the internals,,,, is it worth it??

jeepininaz
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 7:57am
Except for the ball detent (orange rubber thing) being backwards, it looks alright to me. When was the last time it was used? In all honesty, it doesn't look like its seen much action at all. There's little wear on the body shells, no rust on the internals, and nothing looks to be missing. I'd say you've gotten quite a deal.

The 98c is a solid marker, and its design is at the base of a lot of Tippmann's other markers. Really, the only way to make sure everything is completely functional, is to put some air through it and see what happens. Tough to gauge the quality of the seals from a picture, but based on the overall appearance of the marker, I'd wager they're just fine.

The only thing I caution you, is to watch that damned front sight spring on reassembly and disassembly, its finicky and used to like to fly away on me.  Other than that, you'll find it to be a very user-friendly marker and will last you as long as you decide to play the game and take care of it.
?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 9:38am
Got it from my boss. His kid now in college never used it at all and abandoned it. Any idea as to the age if the marker??? Newer , older?? I'd guess old but I dunno
jeepininaz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 10:19am
Do the ball detent (orange piece) is installed in this orientation then

>

And NOT.   <

Right
jeepininaz
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 11:11am
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by jeepininaz jeepininaz wrote:

>

And NOT.   <

Right

Correct. You want the ball detent to be pushed down by the forward travel of the bolt. In the orientation in the picture, the bolt would hang up on it rather than travel over it.

Nice pick-up.

It's a second/third gen 98c. It's older, but that doesn't make much difference. It's actually the marker that has the absolute MOST parts and upgrades availability out of all of them.

You can use drop-in kits to make it fully automatic, select fire, or even on-demand burst fire. You can put a center-feed on it, make it run on lower pressure air sources, you can even convert it to a fully electro-pneumatic marker (same operation as the ultra-high-end markers).

Great marker, and it's good that it's got something other than the stock barrel as well even if it a little long for my tastes.

Did it just come with the standard hopper (where the paintballs are loaded) or a motorized one?
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 1:02pm
I'm certain it's NOT a ACT  (anti chop) but does that really matter ?

my sons got a Tippmann Custom PRO ( dual trigger / ACT/ forward air mount )

Just some things to not.. The fields near me DO NOT allow for automatics would a RT trigger be considered "auto"  aside from the barrel , what other worthwhile mods are there.

AND JUST SO EVERYONE knows.... yea I'm a tinkerer.. I like to make thing 'better'  .. I'm already considering painting this thing gloss white (just do it looks different than my kids marker) 

jeepininaz
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 1:50pm
Real tough to say on age. The 98C has been around a long time, but they've been pumping out new ones for for quite some time as well. The age of it doesn't matter a whole lot- not so much as the condition of it, and I'd say yours is in excellent shape. 
?

The Guy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Soup Can Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

>

And NOT.   <

Right

Correct. You want the ball detent to be pushed down by the forward travel of the bolt. In the orientation in the picture, the bolt would hang up on it rather than travel over it.

Nice pick-up.

It's a second/third gen 98c. It's older, but that doesn't make much difference. It's actually the marker that has the absolute MOST parts and upgrades availability out of all of them.

You can use drop-in kits to make it fully automatic, select fire, or even on-demand burst fire. You can put a center-feed on it, make it run on lower pressure air sources, you can even convert it to a fully electro-pneumatic marker (same operation as the ultra-high-end markers).

Great marker, and it's good that it's got something other than the stock barrel as well even if it a little long for my tastes.

Did it just come with the standard hopper (where the paintballs are loaded) or a motorized one?

and mag-fed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 5:12pm
yea it came with a standard 200ball( ???) hopper feeder thing.  a stock Tippman barell and the 14" 'whisper' barell a small Co2 tank all the allen keys.  VERY complete ... the trigger spring looks squished and distorted and provides ZERO push on the trigger when the marker is not cocked.

I'd like to paint it white... just to look different than my kids  Tippmann custom pro.  I thought I read somewhere that you can remove the factory finish by soaking in automatic tranny fluid ?  True ???

I like gun metal gray colors as well. 

THANKS !!
jeepininaz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 9:02pm
Well I got home from work and pulled the marker apart to reassess and correct the spring as well as the ball retainer orange thing. Well it now looks like this. Live and learn right

While the guns apart I'll clean up the overspray as well

I'm still looking for the easy paint removal method. ATF????
jeepininaz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2014 at 11:41pm
Polished / cleaned to my liking. Far from perfect but good enough for my taste. Def smoother in the chamber for the o-rings

jeepininaz
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2014 at 8:03am
Yeah, ATF will take the paint right off from what I understand. I've never done it myself, but I've heard of people using it.

The ball detent (though mangled) will still work fine. I've seen them worn down to little nubs and still do the job. Essentially it's just there to prevent the ball in the chamber from rolling down the barrel, and preventing double-feeds from the stack coming down from your hopper.

Even though your field doesn't allow automatic fire, an e-trigger upgrade or e-bolt (which is no longer produced, but can be bought used) would still be good to get at some point if you really get into playing. Semi-auto micro-switch operated double-triggers can be amazingly fast if you know how to "walk" them with your fingers. Below is a great example of how fast it can go with the right setup on your marker:

The key thing to get that speed and being able to walk is electronic fire control replacing the standard sear-and-spring setup that you currently have. It's not for everyone, but again, if you really get into playing and want to up your game, it's something to consider.

As for polishing, it looks good. You don't want to take down too much of the metal because then you can have o-ring issues (if you remove too much of the hammer walls, it won't seat properly and you'll lose blow-back/recocking pressure).

Those little pop-out panels on the grip are for the e-bolt and e-trigger upgrades. The rounded depression under the sear and trigger area is for an RT piston. And the depressions running from the fore-grip area to the valve body area are for a vertical-adapter.

That's a Generation-2 98C. You can tell because the lower section of the grip frame isn't flat on the interior (the newer ones are flat to better seat an e-trigger setup) but the trigger return spring is the vertical set-up and not the pinned one in the first generation of 98Cs.

In my personal opinion, it's the best marker Tippmann ever made. Do newer models have some nice perks and whatnot? Sure. But the classic 98c's a a blank slate, you can turn them into ANYTHING. For example, this is probably one of the most famous 98's of all time:

Now, that's a lot of money and time sunk into a project, and it's ugly as sin, but boy does it rip!

But back to less complicated modifications.

Everyone here has pretty much always agreed that you want to upgrade the barrel and hopper first thing. Barrels make the biggest difference in accuracy, and a motorized hopper, even a cheap ReVLution loader from Wal-mart, will ensure a consistent feed rate. This means few if any chopped rounds in the chamber. I'm sure you noticed playing with a rental, that if a ball broke in the barrel or got chopped in half by the bolt in the chamber, your accuracy greatly decreased. Preventing those two things from happening will make your game 1000% more enjoyable.

Try out the barrel you have on there (I've never heard of it myself, but there are a million different barrels out there) and if it seems to make a great difference over the stock barrel and you're happy with it, stick with it for the time being. If it's not a big improvement, we usually suggest the J&J Ceramic in 12"-14" Anything past 14" and you're wasting air pushing the ball down the barrel. Anything less than 11.5" and you're having to use too much air to bring the ball up to speed at the muzzle.

Start with those two things, take a look at other people's markers at the field and see what they've done, and go from there on upgrades. Some people are all about looks (they want it to look realistic or whatnot) Others are interested in fire rate (e-trigger/RT/ebolt) others are interested in efficiency (Low pressure kit, HPA, double regulation) and some are happy with just going out and blasting away with a reliable barrel and hopper.

No matter what you do, you're going to have fun!

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2014 at 8:05am
Here's my '98 project gun btw.

Still not done, but I should have it up and running beautifully for the spring season.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepininaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2014 at 10:58am
Would a tippmann cyclone feeder work on this gun well??
jeepininaz
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2014 at 12:38pm

Would a tippmann cyclone feeder work on this gun well??

Yes. They work very well with the 98c, and the marker is already set up to make installation a snap!

Given the serial number of your 98c, you will need to purchase a different power tube

Or you can attempt to drill the little nub for the banjo fitting on your stock power tube, but I've never had much luck with that. It's only $10 to make sure everything works well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic