Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

But, I could get an AK...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: But, I could get an AK...
    Posted: 30 November 2015 at 11:05am
So I got rear ended again... Damage is very minimal on my TSX and since it has 260,000 miles... I'm thinking of just skipping getting it fixed. (a few scratches on the bumper and one little dent in it... I could likely buff most of it out and touch up the rest. 

I got a check from his insurance for over $600...

And I've been thinking about getting an AR type weapon. I remember a bunch of you guys building them, is it cheaper to do that than to buy a low cost AR? They sell some at rural king that are dirt cheap... But, I know nothing about them... 

It would be kind of fun to build one, but I want to get the cheapest I can as this is just for goofing around with... 

Ideas would be helpful! Including where you got stuff, what works well, what to avoid... ect. 

Thanks guys! 
They tremble at my name...
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 11:58am
If you want to nerd out and pick and choose every little part, building is fun. If you'd rather just pay money and go shoot, you can pick up a Ruger AR556 for about $600 and be set.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 1:56pm
Both are stupid cheap right now. You will probably save a few dollars by buying an assembled rifle. Now is the time to buy.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 2:51pm
Yeah, that is what I was thinking... They are so cheap that I'm sure they will go up sooner or later... I remember when anything was over $1,500... And it wasn't that long ago! 

I'm gonna checkout rural king and see what they have...
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 4:02pm
Depends on use. AK platforms are fun plinkers <200m, AR's more in the >300m range. Ammunition is another cost issue. Ex east block 7.62X39 and newer 5.45X39 still avail in bulk and cheaper than 5.56X45.

I have a AR series CAR-15 carbine, great pest removal rifle here at the farm, Have a AK that is a fun paper shooter, but hittin critters at range not so good.

A $500 AK platform, leaves $100 for a few more mags and maybe a good sight.

$600 is a great down payment on a Springfield Armory M1A (M-14) if you really want a 'good' rifle.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 4:29pm
While M1As are nice, they are somewhat stagnant. ARs float in price and now they are dirt cheap.

Look to see what Palmetto state armory offers. You could probably have an AR of your choice under 500. Then comes a choice of barrel length, sights, stock, etc. I have an M16A1 build kit myself.

BUY MAGS AND AMMO NOW! even if you only see yourself needing two magazines and shooting two boxes of ammo a year, both of those things are so ridiculously cheap that there is no excuse to not buy them. Pmags were going for $50 and 5.56 was about $1/round recently. Pmags are now $12.50 and 30 round aluminums are under $10.

Prices will jump soon.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 7:24pm
Oh, if you get an AK you can always trade it for a tattoo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 10:00pm
Define 'stagnant'. I love that reach out and touch distance of 7.62X51 that 5.56 can only dream about. If you need all the add on's to shoot, might want to re-evaluate your skill set.

I got my CAR and looking at a Legacy upper for memory sake, old habits hard to break, got the A1 butt stock.

I do Nebraska State Games with my M1A, again old habits.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 10:30pm
Stagnant economically. AR15s and AKs fluctuate quite a bit and standard M1As always float around $1200 and up. They aren't threatened by AWBs too much so it is not as much of a concern to buy now.

I myself want an M14, but a Garand or a nice 308 M77 is much more likely. Nothing anytime soon.

Also, none of my firearms have doodads, and only one rifle (22lr Henry) isn't milsurp

Edited by SSOK - 30 November 2015 at 10:31pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2015 at 11:03pm
Yea price wise they hang at $1200 or so. Mine is an old timer back in the days of $800.

I sold my old CMP M1 Garands, BIG mistake as I miss em and a new SA M1 will cost more than I sold both for.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 7:45am
CMP sill has plenty of Garands for sub $800 in shootable condition, it's just a wait to get them since they're low on armorers and gunsmiths to cobble together good guns from the well-used ones they have in the warehouses.

On a side note, Obama apparently signed the NDAA bill into law that is going to allow the US Gov't to sell off their stocks of 1911s via CMP.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 8:15am
Looking at a 'new' M1 Garand as that to is going to be a NSG shooter as well. I have 2 wartime M-1911's may pick up another or two from CMP. Still looking for a good priced FN L1A1 or similar mil style,full size.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 9:02am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Still looking for a good priced FN L1A1 or similar mil style,full size.

Parts kit build from SARCO is the way to go. Just make sure that you get the kit first and the receiver second, that way if you wind up with an Argentine lower, you can get the proper coonan "argie cut" receiver so you don't have to go grinding on your upper.

I built mine in the height of the panic for sub $800. These days you're looking at about the same for a PK from SARCO, a new BBL, and a coonan receiver. Not bad really. Only unexpected expenses would be from a receiver wrench and barrel vise, locking shoulder, gauge pins (you can borrow mine if you need) and any other 922r compliance parts (yeah... it's 922r compliant... uhuh!). If you get in good with the guys from FALfiles.com, you can usually borrow a wrench and vise or rent one for way cheaper than buying. Even if you had to buy, you're talking sub $1k vs buying new from DSA for $1200 or more
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 9:43am
Sarco is one of the coolest stores to walk through. I need to go again, the new girlfriend lives not far from it.

I need a USGI 1911. I will do everything possible to get one if the CMP actually sells them.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 12:50pm
OS, if you decide to get another CMP Garand, I recommend the Special grade in .308.  That way you don't have to worry which ammo you put through it as it can handle any commercial 308 loads.  New 30-06 is loaded at too high of a pressure for the Garand and can damage your oprod.  
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

OS, if you decide to get another CMP Garand, I recommend the Special grade in .308.  That way you don't have to worry which ammo you put through it as it can handle any commercial 308 loads.  New 30-06 is loaded at too high of a pressure for the Garand and can damage your oprod.  

INFIDEL! .308 and Garand should never be used in the same sentence, let alone combined in a platform!

As for the commercial ammo for the M1 Garand, they make a nice "bolt on" selective gas plug (really a gas valve) that doesn't do anything to change the rifle in a permanent manner. Lets you shoot commercial all day long without damaging your op rod.

Also, a bunch of commercial loaders are loading M2 Ball spec now.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Oh, if you get an AK you can always trade it for a tattoo
I was hoping no one said this yet.

Or you can trade your tattoo for an AK. Don't know what the exchange rate is these days.

Edited by Benjichang - 01 December 2015 at 3:04pm

irc.esper.net
#paintball
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 3:15pm
When I saw the title I genuinely thought this was a thread about tattoos. This forum broke me.
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 6:07pm
Man I would like to get a Ruger AR556.  I was looking at the S&W M&P15 for awhile and was considering that.  But everything I've read on the Ruger tells me this is the way to go.  Roughly the same price as the S&W but has the dust cover and the forward assist.  The couple of local places that have them or can get them have them in the $740 range.  Was kind of hoping for about $50-$100 less than that, but oh well.  Looks like a solid starter AR.

FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 9:53am
The ruger has a chrome inner barrel as well, the other cheap models don't... That alone seems to make the 556 the best deal. 

They had them at Rural King for $595 with a $75 in store credit. 

And a few weeks ago they were selling them for $500... But they sold out in minutes. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic