Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

But, I could get an AK...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 9:55am
I saw an interesting cheap gun while out looking. 

hi point 9mm carbine... I can get one for $226... And I already have thousands and thousands of rounds...

What says the forum on something like that??
They tremble at my name...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 10:59am
Not a fan of High Point personally. Cheaply made, miserable reliability, etc. They've gotten better over the years, but not to the point that I'd ever trust my life to one. As something to just take to the range that looks cool? Yeah. But as something I might use for any other purpose? Nope.

As for the chrome lining on the barrels of ARs, don't let that be a make-or-break item. Most barrels are nitrided anymore, which has actually shown to hold up better to wear and use than chrome lining. Add in the fact that you'll never be shooting corrosive ammo, and chrome lining makes even less sense. A lot of civilian market AKs here in the US don't even use them anymore. They were necessary back during the cold war from a military standpoint because combloc ammo was all corrosively primed (because commies suck, and their ammo sucks harder) and given that the cheap ammo on the market in the 90s/00s was all comblock milsurp, people wanted chrome-lined barrels in their SKSs and AK variants so they could worry less about bore pitting. But with modern ammo and nitriding, you'll never need chrome for your barrel in an AR platform.

Nitriding is actually BETTER than chrome BTW. Chrome is a plating, nitriding provides superior corrosion resistance and provides for a stronger steel as it is actually a process which affects the makeup of the steel itself rather than just a coating on the top. My CMMG had a nitrided barrel and it was a beast!

Edited by tallen702 - 02 December 2015 at 11:03am
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Eville Eville wrote:

New 30-06 is loaded at too high of a pressure for the Garand and can damage your oprod.  

Found that out....the hard way. Luckily I was able to get my hands on a new op rod, and now have to be selective about the ammo I put through the damn thing. 
165 ball ammo does fine, but yeah.....don't shoot 180g soft tips. 

?

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 8:37pm
There is a specific commercially loaded round for the M1 I use this never had a problem or any surplus I could find. Commercial sport rounds are too hot, and big bullet, too much pressure.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-675?td_source=search

Edited by oldsoldier - 03 December 2015 at 3:44am
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 11:11pm
I don't mind the Hi-point carbines.  I've shot both the 9mm and the .40 and they both seemed really decent.  They don't have the reach-out-and-touch-me range of a rifle, but can definitely throw lead downrange.  A friend of a friend bought one 2nd hand for $50 only to find out it was junk.  He called Hi-point for repair and found out there was a lifetime guarantee and got a brand new one after shipping the bad one in.  If I were to get a carbine, I'd go Hi-point.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

And a few weeks ago they were selling them for $500... But they sold out in minutes. 

I've found them for decent pricing on the Guns For Sale website.  I need to have the rifle sent to a local FFL holder for a $25 charge, but it seems worth it considering they are running $100-$150 less then where I can buy them locally.  And the latest shooting in CA is making people nervous and may drive the price up as people may start buying irrationally because of the current POTUS.

Edited by StormyKnight - 02 December 2015 at 11:17pm
Panda_Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 1:29am
jgsales.com

has an awesome deal on a Hungarian Milled Underfolder for $600.  unless a gun shop in your area can order from Century arms directly. The new Century Arms AK's are absolutely fantastic. I used a M70A1 few weeks ago that i would easily compare to a Arsenal AK.

Also look into a Ruger AR556 for a cheap but good damn AR.

As far as Hi-Point. they are ok... Shot plenty of them and they are pretty good in .45acp since they are blocky. if i only had a x amount of money and needed  a new handgun i would bet my life on hi-point but. after 500 rounds it may begin to fail quite a bit.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 12:49pm
Hey OS! SARCO is having a sale on FAL parts and parts kits. 5% off plus free shipping on any orders over $40. It's today only though 12/3/2015.
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

I don't mind the Hi-point carbines.  I've shot both the 9mm and the .40 and they both seemed really decent.  They don't have the reach-out-and-touch-me range of a rifle, but can definitely throw lead downrange.  A friend of a friend bought one 2nd hand for $50 only to find out it was junk.  He called Hi-point for repair and found out there was a lifetime guarantee and got a brand new one after shipping the bad one in.  If I were to get a carbine, I'd go Hi-point.

yeah, they are made in Dayton, which is only about a half hour drive from me, and I see them all over at gun shows around here. The lifetime warranty (transferable too) makes their low price point and old quality issues seem to be a non issue... I just want one for goofing around with, and having thousands of rounds of 9mm... It seems like a fun toy... 
They tremble at my name...
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 7:53pm
FE, find a few friends who have the rifles that everyone is suggesting, shoot those rifles, and see which one you like.  If no one you know has any of them, go to your local ranges to check out what is out there and most shooters are willing to let you shoot a few rounds through them.
BUT...You can't go wrong with the FAL or M1A.  Strong reliable rifles, great caliber,  accurate, and a bit historic.  The FAL is known as the Right Arm of the Free World and the M1A, it's a beautiful classic.   If you do decide on the M1A, make sure to get the "loaded" model.  It's almost National Match (no NM rear sight or glass bedding), depending on your state's laws, you can use it for deer hunting.

Hi-point does have very good customer service.  Some years back I had the 9mm version I bought from my cousin after the dumb ass rolled over it with his quad, breaking the stock.  I called Hi-point inquiring about pricing for a new stock.   The CS rep asked for my address and shipped to me free of any charge a new stock.  

Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Man I would like to get a Ruger AR556.  I was looking at the S&W M&P15 for awhile and was considering that.  But everything I've read on the Ruger tells me this is the way to go.  Roughly the same price as the S&W but has the dust cover and the forward assist.  The couple of local places that have them or can get them have them in the $740 range.  Was kind of hoping for about $50-$100 less than that, but oh well.  Looks like a solid starter AR.

My dad picked one up for about $600. You should shop around online. Start on slickguns.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

You can't go wrong with the FAL or M1A.  

I'll second that.
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 2:39pm
That's a weird place to keep your anal beads.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by RoboCop RoboCop wrote:

Took me a second. That's the carry handle slick....
Panda_Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 2:55pm
FAL and M1A are pretty Expensive.

Yet, these Century Arms C308 are awesome economical choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNcQ-Cow7s

Edited by Panda_Man - 04 December 2015 at 2:59pm
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Panda_Man Panda_Man wrote:

FAL and M1A are pretty Expensive.

Yet, these Century Arms C308 are awesome economical choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNcQ-Cow7s

Yep, because they had such an awful reputation with their CETME and G3 builds that nobody wanted to touch them, so they had to make them dirt cheap to get sales through volume. Luckily, they've learned their lesson about going with less-than-reputable builders and these have turned out well.

As for FALs being expensive, not if you build one. Still $800 or so all said and done.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 11:33pm
If we're naming random guns to buy, SKSs are super fun.

FE, I strongly recommend that you buy an AR lower. They're so cheap now and it's a worthwhile investment.

Edited by SSOK - 04 December 2015 at 11:34pm
RoboCop View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Aw man, my butt is rusted...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoboCop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2015 at 3:03am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

You were just hoping the real ones weren't really showing.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2015 at 9:57pm

Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

You were just hoping the real ones weren't really showing.

Whatevs, y'all just jealous that I've got a BAMF of a rifle and you don't.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2015 at 12:10pm
If you want an AR, today is the day to buy. I guarantee there will be a rush tomorrow after tonight's speech.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic