Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

But, I could get an AK...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 10:47am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by Panda_Man Panda_Man wrote:

FAL and M1A are pretty Expensive.

Yet, these Century Arms C308 are awesome economical choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioNcQ-Cow7s

Yep, because they had such an awful reputation with their CETME and G3 builds that nobody wanted to touch them, so they had to make them dirt cheap to get sales through volume. Luckily, they've learned their lesson about going with less-than-reputable builders and these have turned out well.

As for FALs being expensive, not if you build one. Still $800 or so all said and done.

THIS^^  
Stay away from C.A., awful QC.  I had the G3 from them, the receiver is poorly stamped.  I spent $150 on the claw scope mount made by HK for it's rifles and put it on my C.A. G3, it flew off after the second round.  The front site was off so bad that at 100 yards I had to aim at the target stand leg, 1.5 feet right and 1.5 feet down (estimate) I then was able to hit black.  WAYYY too much Kentucky Windage IMO and no ability to adjust the front sight and rear sight was for elevation only.  Even that seemed it did nothing to the rifle's elevation.
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

If you want an AR, today is the day to buy. I guarantee there will be a rush tomorrow after tonight's speech.

It ended up being a pretty milquetoast speech, all things considered. 
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

If you want an AR, today is the day to buy. I guarantee there will be a rush tomorrow after tonight's speech.

Yo, I had to Google it. That ain't cool brah.

All predispositions aside it seems like Obama has no definitive strategy for the middle east.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 11:21am
I'm not sure anyone does at this point. It's insane how complicated this whole thing's gotten. I got no answers.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 12:42pm
Obama's strategy for the Mid East, put it off for another year, then blame the next guy/gal for screwing it all up.

And the gun control thing is a total death for Democrats this close to the election, so they will restart the campaign Jan 2017.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 1:07pm
It's a difficult situation to be in for sure, but there ARE answers. They're just not answers that look good on an outgoing president's legacy, especially one that is trying to keep his party in power this next election cycle.

It all starts with domestic problems that were generated by the Brits and French trying to cobble together nations out of societies that were still very tribal/clan oriented at the end of WWII. Instead of building independent countries post-colonialism along tribal lines, they just used map lines that meant/mean very little for societies which still consider themselves of a particular subgroup first, and of a nation second. The Kurds are a prime example of this. They feel their identity to be Kurdish first, and Iraqi, Turkish, Iranian, Syrian, etc. second. Now, that's not to say that everyone identifies that way, but there are definite divides between some pretty large ethnic and religious groups. Cobbling a nation together out of such diverse entities along modern lines rather than historic ones means you have to have a very strong central government, which is why it's despots who stay in power over there, and why such a power vacuum is created when one of them is overthrown or dies without a strong "heir." Saddam kept Iraq together by fear and force. Same goes for the Saudis and Syria. Jordan has a central figure in the king, and the other smaller entities like Qatar, Kuwait, and the UAE have a much more unified identity (they're smaller in area and have much less diversity in religion and ethnicity) They also have strong central figures in government who maintain order through segregation.

That's why stuff falls apart, too many people trying to take control of a "make believe" country that exists by force of will alone. Iraq is a prime example, so was Libya, and Syria is proving to follow suit as well.

That's why I think the real solution is to dissolve these countries as they fall apart. The Kurds are the ones doing all the heavy lifting on the ground over there, and they've literally been dying for a country of their own for decades upon decades. Let them keep what they capture. Doing so will start a scramble for the pieces of Syria from its other neighbors in an attempt to not only expand their borders, but prevent the Kurds from becoming a major player in the region. They'll finally commit ground forces and let's face it, Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Israel, and the Kurds are all better than a) ISIS, and B) Al Assad. It also prevents massive involvement (outside of supporting Hezbollah in Lebanon) by Iran which will help stabilize the region even more.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 3:23pm
Yeah, I don't see it getting "fixed" any other way. These problems go way back to when the borders were drawn with no regard to the different groups inhabiting them.  

irc.esper.net
#paintball
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 5:11pm

Regardless, the effect was the same.  Online inventories for AR-15s dropped and the prices climbed.  I was in the midst of nailing down somebody with an FFL to have a rifle shipped to before the speech happened.  Found a Ruger AR556 for $585 with $15 shipping.  Would cost me $25 for the FFL to receive.  That went to the 4 winds.  As it stands now, I'd probably be better off paying retail at a local store.  So, I think I'll have to wait it out for awhile.

In the meantime, I popped out the standard 10rd fixed magazine out of my SKS and ordered two composite 30rd magazines.  I already have 1200rds of 7.62x39 I've been sitting on for years.  I'll get the AR eventually, but hopefully after the silliness dies down.  Man, has the POTUS been good for gun and ammo companies...

Edited by StormyKnight - 08 December 2015 at 6:53pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 5:44pm
Why the 30 rounders for the SKS? They seem less reliable and the stock mag is handy.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

Why the 30 rounders for the SKS? They seem less reliable and the stock mag is handy.
Mostly because I wanted to try detachable magazines.  If they don't work out, I can always pop the 10 rounder back in and get some stripper clips.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Mostly because I wanted to try detachable magazines.  If they don't work out, I can always pop the 10 rounder back in and get some stripper clips.

I see. You may want to try a Chinese fixed 20 rounder
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 7:41pm

I see. You may want to try a Chinese fixed 20 rounder

I second this. Never had reliable lock-up with detachable mags on SKSs of any make.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 8:08pm
You guys are not installing confidence...  

Oh well.  On a positive note, my phone upgraded to Android 6.0 Marshmallow.Clap

<And there was much rejoicing>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 12:24am

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">It ended up being a pretty milquetoast speech, all things considered. </span>

Regardless, the effect was the same.  Online inventories for AR-15s dropped and the prices climbed.  I was in the midst of nailing down somebody with an FFL to have a rifle shipped to before the speech happened.  Found a Ruger AR556 for $585 with $15 shipping.  Would cost me $25 for the FFL to receive.  That went to the 4 winds.  As it stands now, I'd probably be better off paying retail at a local store.  So, I think I'll have to wait it out for awhile.

In the meantime, I popped out the standard 10rd fixed magazine out of my SKS and ordered two composite 30rd magazines.  I already have 1200rds of 7.62x39 I've been sitting on for years.  I'll get the AR eventually, but hopefully after the silliness dies down.  Man, has the POTUS been good for gun and ammo companies...

I urged my girlfriend too buy a EBR on Saturday. We went Sunday morning and she picked up a AR556. I'm excited too see how it shoots.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 2:32am

I urged my girlfriend too buy a EBR on Saturday. We went Sunday morning and she picked up a AR556. I'm excited too see how it shoots.
What did she end up paying, if you don't mind me asking?

impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 9:34am
$629
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 11:56am
Well... I went to get the Ruger AR, it was sold out, they had an another AR for $495, so I was gonna get it, but the guy in line in front of me got the last one...

So I got the 9mm Hi Point. Will have to get an AR later. I have so much 9mm ammo that it was fine. Haven't shot it yet, but they are building a new indoor shooting range at the bottom of the hill from my office. Literally walking distance! woot! 
They tremble at my name...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 5:30pm

$629
Wow.  Nice!

Was looking at local gun websites last night and noticed one had a sale on the Ruger AR556, $100 off for $641!  But it also said they were back ordered.  Grrrr...  So, I decided to go over there this afternoon.  For such a small place, they used almost all their wall space.  Tons of stuff.  As they website said, they were out of the AR556.  The 2 they had went out the door the day after the POTUS's speech.  So, I put a $100 deposit down.  Next one that comes into the store is mine.  It is a little more than I wanted to pay, but still a good deal.  Talking to one of the salesmen, we joked about Obama's speech.  He said he wants to put his picture in a frame with a plaque that says "Salesman of the Year", to which I added, "Seven years running...".  Got a good chuckle out of it.

So, no idea when they'll get any stock in.  The wait begins.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Well... I went to get the Ruger AR, it was sold out, they had an another AR for $495, so I was gonna get it, but the guy in line in front of me got the last one...

So I got the 9mm Hi Point. Will have to get an AR later. I have so much 9mm ammo that it was fine. Haven't shot it yet, but they are building a new indoor shooting range at the bottom of the hill from my office. Literally walking distance! woot! 

When you get a chance to fire it, you'll have to do a camera mount and record it for the rest of us to see.

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 7:36pm
I probably paid about that or more for my AR during the last freak out. That was with a free stock, barrel, and handguard (thanks again!) so I'd say you didn't do bad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic