Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

But, I could get an AK...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 8:11pm
Meanwhile, I'm sitting on several AK blanks and parts kits are getting pretty cheap....

Stormy, keep an eye on CDNN (cdnninvestments.com) they're out of stock on the AR556 as well, but they tend to get things back in VERY quickly so they're a good barometer of the general market. They were the first to start getting regular shipments of bulk .22LR in a while back. Before any of the big box stores even. That's when we knew the market was rebounding back towards normalization.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Meanwhile, I'm sitting on several AK blanks

I think everyone has a few shovels Tallen
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2015 at 11:28pm
The new WASR AKs are really nice compared to how they used to be, but be sure to look over an AK for sight and gas block cant. Meridian Ordnance and Spivey Arms will do a build for you at a reasonable price if you buy a kit. DDI builds some nice stuff with nitrided barrels. Polish CHF chromes barrels are now available here, and the Random factory is setting up shop to build US AKs, their Beryl looks great if you want a 5.56 AK. Stay away from Palmetto, and the Century C39 guns and their stamped "US Made AK" have crappy cast parts. There is also nothing wrong with the Yugo rifles if you can live without the chromed barrel. I'd love an AR, maybe I'll pick up a lower and some mags but I'd rather pay off my credit card before buying anything I don't really need. I do really like the AK and the beautiful simplicity of it. You still see Saigas around, but usually not in 7.62x39. 
deadeye007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Has Mod powers, isn't able to use them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadeye007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2015 at 2:18am
I picked up a Mini 30 today. It is not as loud as my Mini 14. It will make a nice <100 yard pig popper if the pigs ever come back to my deer lease; it's been slow the last two years.
Face it guys, common sense is a form of wealth and we're surrounded by poverty.-Strato
Ceesman762 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Time for a C-Section!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ceesman762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2015 at 9:28am
Originally posted by SSOK SSOK wrote:

I probably paid about that or more for my AR during the last freak out. That was with a free stock, barrel, and handguard (thanks again!) so I'd say you didn't do bad
How did those parts I gave you work out?
Innocence proves nothing
FUAC!!!!!

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Ceesman762 Ceesman762 wrote:

I probably paid about that or more for my AR during the last freak out. That was with a free stock, barrel, and handguard (thanks again!) so I'd say you didn't do bad

How did those parts I gave you work out?

Awesome! They're still on my AR and will be!
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2015 at 10:24pm
So, not an evil black rifle, but my Riverside Arms 215 Side-by-Side 12ga came in the mail today. Didn't realize it until I took a better look at it, but It's a black walnut stock with a "B" prefix on the serial number, which means it's the higher end one, just a hair below the Savage guns of the same make. It's a "rabbit eared" hammer gun and the bores are perfect. Not sure of what the fixed choke at the end is, but it's definitely got the defined ring of a forcing cone up at the muzzle ends of the barrels when looking from the chamber end down. That means it's smaller than cylinder which is good since I plan on using it for upland birds, ducks, and skeet/trap. Only issue I've found so far is that the front bead is missing (easy to replace) and the stock has a small crack and a chip at the tang. Taking it to a well reviewed gunsmith in the area either this weekend or next week after work to get him to give me a definite chamber length (likely 2-3/4 but for roll crimp, not star crimp) press in a new front bead, make the stock repairs, and get the general A-OK on shooting it.

I'll snap some photos tomorrow and post them up. She's pretty for being a "bargain" gun that's closer to 100 years old than 90. Nice checkering, case hardened frame, deep satin blued barrels, and the bores are immaculate. A little clean-up on the locks and receiver and I expect her to turn some heads.
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 4:25pm
My buddy bought a Savage (I think) side by side 20g.  I think you could take a caliper and measure the ID of the barrel to find out what it's choked at.  His has one cylinder and one is modified.  

My franchi is in the shop right now... it was shooting both barrels at the same time.  In the mean time I've been using my duck gun... a winchester sxp... for pheasants and clays.  

I joined up a 5-stand league which has been fun.
DeTrevni View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
b-YOU-ick. Was that so hard?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeTrevni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 4:47pm
Evil Black Rifles are so boring anyway. Everyone and their mother (here in Texas, that's literal) has an AK or an AR variant, and I simply find no love for them. The AR's very selling points make it characterless. They don't recoil, they put the bullets where you want them, they're so customizable you can make yours look just like everyone else's... And if you convert them to .308 or any of the fun calibers, they're so expensive to feed you can't properly enjoy a range day.

I would do terrible things to get my hands on a Shiloh Sharps, and I've been dying for any number of custom shop Remington No. 1 rolling blocks. Henry also reissued the original Henry Rifle, and maaaaaaan, I'm in lust.

Edited by DeTrevni - 12 December 2015 at 4:48pm
Evil Elvis: "Detrevni is definally like a hillbilly hippy from hell"

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2015 at 9:47pm
This is pretty much what mine looks like, except that mine is a color case-hardened frame with finer checkering patterns given that it was the higher of the two grades. I've got the stock off of it now to be degreased and epoxied where it's got a few hairline cracks that need to be filled to prevent them from spreading. Ran it by the gunsmith today, he said it's A-OK to shoot. Asked me what I paid for it, I told him I won it at auction for $85. He asked me if I even bothered to wear a ski mask to steal it the way I did.

Can't wait to get it out to the local trap and skeet club now!

Edited by tallen702 - 12 December 2015 at 9:48pm
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2015 at 1:29am
Well, the ProMag 30rd detachable magazines came this morning.  Was pretty excited.  Tried to put one in the SKS without success.  Broke down the rifle and started sanding away at the sides where the mag was sticking to free it up a little.  About an hour of experimental sanding later, I could get more free movement, but I couldn't get the magazine to sit correctly.  I put the fixed mag and the detachable one nose to nose and noticed the ProMag was slightly wider hence the sanding.  Still couldn't get it to sit correctly.  When I thought I had it, the bolt would not move forward.  So, back to the drawing board.  I wanted to try and cheap it out myself but it doesn't look like it'll happen.  So, going to exchange the ProMags for (2) 30rd Magpul PMags for the AR 556.

I see. You may want to try a Chinese fixed 20 rounder
With my above failure, I went a searching online.  I found evidence of the 20rd fixed magazines sold online.  What they were going for was OBSCENE.  Cheapest sale I saw was $62, the most expensive $154!  I can't find them anywhere.  Saw a lot of bad things about detachable mag conversions while searching for the 20rd fixed.  So, I'll just invest in some stripper clips and call it good.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2015 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Well, the ProMag 30rd detachable magazines came this morning.  Was pretty excited.  Tried to put one in the SKS without success.  Broke down the rifle and started sanding away at the sides where the mag was sticking to free it up a little.

You're doing it wrong. NEVER sand the furniture, always sand the polymer mag instead. Why? Furniture set is more expensive than the mag by far, and collectors will seriously drop your price when you try to sell it down the road if you've been hacking/sanding on the wood.

Quote I found evidence of the 20rd fixed magazines sold online.  What they were going for was OBSCENE.  Cheapest sale I saw was $62, the most expensive $154!  I can't find them anywhere.
Heh, you think that's bad. You should see what some of the chargers I deal with run. K31 chargers used to be $5 a piece for tinned cardboard. Then they dried up. Now they're $15 each for what is essentially a stripper clip. The mags themselves for a K-31 are $100 easy IF you can find them since they didn't make extras. Same goes for non-standard mags on Enfields, Hakeems and SAFN 49s, $40-$70 a mag for a 10 rounder. When it gets rare in the collector community, it gets EXPENSIVE.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2015 at 10:39pm

You're doing it wrong. NEVER sand the furniture, always sand the polymer mag instead. Why? Furniture set is more expensive than the mag by far, and collectors will seriously drop your price when you try to sell it down the road if you've been hacking/sanding on the wood.
Oh, I'm never getting rid of the rifle.  I purchased it from a dear friend 20 years ago for $130.  Not bad for a Norinco SKS.  Still packed in cosmoline (that stuff was a bear to clean out).  I would have to be offered a ridiculous amount of money to part with it.

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2015 at 8:32am
DelTon ARs are sub $550 now: link
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2015 at 8:38am
Lowers are still only $50 or less. Now is the time to buy if you are thinking about it. Get the lower and you will always own an AR.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2015 at 10:41am

A respectable gun shop employee told me Delton makes most AR parts for other major manufactures. Never did research that claim as I already own a EBR, but is that true?
Hairball!!! View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Strike #4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairball!!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2015 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

A respectable gun shop employee told me Delton makes most AR parts for other major manufactures. Never did research that claim as I already own a EBR, but is that true?

Partially true, most likely. Many companies, especially those that sell complete guns, source parts from one of just a few actual manufacturers. They may apply a rollmark or brand the stuff themselves or pay for varying levels of QC, but many of the parts come from the same few sources.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2015 at 12:56pm

Seen them advertised between $430-$450.  Lifetime Warranty for original purchaser.  I don't know.  Kinda have my heart set on the AR 556...

Panda_Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Panda_Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2015 at 4:39pm
Yugo M70B1

Still calling this the best deal next to the milled Hungarian AK63D.

RPK style Receiver/Trunion are dope as hell and are on par with "Durability" of a milled.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2015 at 11:32pm
So I finally got around to updating my address on my drivers license, and I now have a serious itch to buy a new toy.... I still want a Ruger Precision in 6.5 Creedmor. But they're still pretty hard to come by. Then I drooled over the SIG MCX, but realized that price tag was a bit more than I wanted to pay. And now I'm wanting a Ruger SR22...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic