Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2016 election.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 9:32am
I spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff while floating in the ocean now-a-days. 

I've carved out a bit of a niche as the News Literacy guy. I teach a big 100-seat lecture that all the incoming journalism students have to take, but a bunch of other people take it as an elective as well. It's called News Literacy, because we're not real creative with names. 

But it's all about how journalism functions, what its role in society is, and where the problems arise in how it's consumed and produced based on the massive amount of information we have readily available all the time. The main purpose of the course is to have students be able to diagnose the quality of a piece of news in a number of different ways. 

I have the students buy this book, which if you're interested in this kind of thing, I'd suggest it to you too. It's like $10 on Amazon, it's a quick read: 

Image result for blur how to know whats true in the age of information overload
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 11:42am
Bias isn't a problem, unless it doesn't conform to your beliefs. Most people type in www.I'mRight.com. Or watch/listen to their show that does the same. Most people aren't humble enough to look at the other side.

I think the word journalist doesn't apply to most of the major networks, maybe a more honest word like entertainer would be more fitting. The dollar is the bottom line, getting the story first is the priority. "Unconfirmed reports on...." The rich and powerful own both the "left" and "right" news channels. Both happily willing to broadcast stories on wedge issues to keep the country divided.

The movie Spotlight was wonderful, but it's hard to believe that such work in this day of age would ever be attempted again. Journalism is dead.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2016 at 2:16pm
Click-bait headlines are the new yellow journalism.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 10:52am
http://observer.com/2016/10/no-consequences-from-media-peers-for-reporters-caught-colluding-with-hillary/

this is the 
"new" standard in journalism. 

no accountability or repercussions when attempting to bias an election. 

Love how every single poll has way more democrats than republicans in the polling, and they admit to picking more minorities for the democratic sampling to ensure hillary wins the polls. But, what do I know...

They tremble at my name...
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 2:09am
I have no use for Hillary Clinton, and I don't make that a secret.
But I get a massive charge out of these people that are freaking out about the amount of negative press handed to Trump over Clinton.

The greatest way I heard it explained was that you don't send firefighters to houses that aren't burning. Trump's a house that's always on fire in terms of news-worthiness.

Bias. Big damn deal. That's why we don't draw our information from a single source anymore. That's why we put in a little bit of actual effort to figure out what the truth is, or at least what the 'other side' of things are, then do math and figure out that the actual score is. This day and age, if you're looking for any single media outlet to give you 50/50, even-stevens coverage of anything at all from a car accident to the Presidential election, you get what you deserve.

?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 8:27am
Why do the votes never change to republican???

Vote fraud already,in Texas.

http://kissfm969.com/early-voters-from-amarillo-are-saying-their-votes-were-changed-on-the-ballot/
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 2:34pm
Journalism in America is propaganda. 

Edited by FreeEnterprise - 25 October 2016 at 2:34pm
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

But I get a massive charge out of these people that are freaking out about the amount of negative press handed to Trump over Clinton.

An important point to keep in mind with that, too, is that Trump has gotten a ton of press coverage, period. 

If you calculate the amount he's actually spent on advertising and compare it to the amount of media coverage he's received, good or bad, he's gotten by far the most unpaid time on TV: 

There's been some talk from the primaries about how that actually gave him the advantage over Cruz, Rubio and others, is that Trump was nearly always getting coverage, because of the spectacle of his campaign. 

Quote The greatest way I heard it explained was that you don't send firefighters to houses that aren't burning. Trump's a house that's always on fire in terms of news-worthiness.

That's not the worst analogy. 

Because, pragmatically, if you look at it beyond just the scandals, his campaign has been one of glitz and, I dunno how else to put it, weirdness. He's run an effective circus along side an ineffective campaign. Instead of the standard fundraiser/mixer schedule, he very early on made most of events large-scale rallies, which are more likely to get attention. He's made a habit, from the get-go, to say really boisterous stuff at these rallies, almost guaranteeing some kind of press coverage about what he's said, which got him a ton of attention during the primaries. 

And for as much boisterousness and "controversies" as have happened in this campaign cycle with him, only about four have really hurt him in the polls: Him attacking Humayun Kahn's family, him attacking Miss Universe, his tax leak from the 90s showing he hasn't paid income tax, and him bragging about sexual assault. 

Those are the only four that really connect with dips in polling. But also, those are four things that someone running for president did. Those are things that are going to get press coverage. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 25 October 2016 at 4:18pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 6:14pm
Campaign expenditure reports indicate the Trump campaign has spent more money on hats than on polling. 

Which maybe the most succinct way of summing up his campaign yet. 

The hyperlink keeps breaking so here's the story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/25/donald-trumps-campaign-has-spent-more-on-hats-than-on-polling/?tid=sm_tw_pp&wprss=rss_the-fix 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 25 October 2016 at 6:17pm
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Campaign expenditure reports indicate the Trump campaign has spent more money on hats than on polling. 

Which maybe the most succinct way of summing up his campaign yet. 

The hyperlink keeps breaking so here's the story: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/10/25/donald-trumps-campaign-has-spent-more-on-hats-than-on-polling/?tid=sm_tw_pp&wprss=rss_the-fix 
So you don't like hats eh, commie. Make America Great Again, ONE HAT AT A TIME!

Edited by JohnnyCanuck - 26 October 2016 at 12:07pm
Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
stratoaxe1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stratoaxe1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2016 at 12:12am
Whoa, the forum still exists.

This election is awful. Trump just became the conservative candidate he claims to be in the last few years and I can't believe anyone claiming conservatism would actually vote for him.

The lesser of two evils argument isn't working for me this time. Neither of them represent anything I even remotely believe in but I believe that Hillary is the only "actual" candidate in the run. It was always going to end one way.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2016 at 1:59pm
Obamacare did exactly what I said it would do... 

How are you guys enjoying the new $1,200 and up monthly plans... with $5,000 and up deductibles. 

Liberalism NEVER works. It always fails, and yet we keep trying it again and again and again and again....

Good intentions never equal successful programs. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2016 at 4:08pm
I early voted: 

Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2016 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Obamacare did exactly what I said it would do... 

How are you guys enjoying the new $1,200 and up monthly plans... with $5,000 and up deductibles. 

Liberalism NEVER works. It always fails, and yet we keep trying it again and again and again and again....

Good intentions never equal successful programs. 

Which is why we need to go to single payer.  Take the power away from the medical companies so the government can negotiate reasonable prices for medical care.  Liberalism works.  Piecemeal liberalism because old farts are afraid of change might not work immediately, but it will get there.  You can't stop progress.  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2016 at 12:33am
Anyone have any interesting local propositions? Arizona's is 205, which would make marijuana legal.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2016 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Anyone have any interesting local propositions? Arizona's is 205, which would make marijuana legal.

There's a provision on our ballot locally to prevent county level government officials from serving more than three terms. Right after that one is one put forth by the current county board to try and get all their partial term folks an extra term by stating that anything less than 12 months of service shouldn't be considered a "full term" which would effectively allow about half of them to run again. You can guess which way I'm voting on both of those I'm sure.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2016 at 1:50pm
Single payer, are you kidding? Look at the Veterans Administration Healthcare Network. Approximately 6 million veterans enrolled, and a complete failure in many areas. Obamacare ACA, not even close to 'the promise' nor affordable. And we are going to trust the same government essentially who designed, maintain and run both of these fiascos to provide 'good' healthcare to 390million American's, too many polititians in the net for that ever to happen. And putting HRH Hillary in charge will just compound the problem, rather than address or even try to 'fix' both of the current fiascos.

Still find it difficult to understand the I as a Veteran have to 'wait' on even the simplest health care need from the VA, yet an illegal crosses the border and somehow is eligible for free and immediate health care. For example, diagnosed with cateract in Left eye early August, finally got surgery date of 16 Nov today.

As for our 'info-tainment' media and journalists, all media has a targeted for ratings and money audience, and each create their stories to fit that targeted audience. Journalism is DEAD, and just directs their bias to which ever side of the political spectrum they 'support'.

The old joke- "George Bush was out on a lake in Texas fishing. He spots another small boat sinking and an old man on board. He puts down his fishing pole and walks on water over to the man and saves him. The Right leaning media goes "Bush walks on water", the Left leaning media goes "Bush can not swim", .... the fact the old man was saved is not even mentioned or of priority to either.

And journalists anymore state their opinion on any story and expect you to have the same opinion. No longer, this is the news, now decide what you yourself think. What is that called again Whale?

Edited by oldsoldier - 27 October 2016 at 2:25pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2016 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Florida has two of some note:

Amendment 1, which is wrapped in very fancy language, is an anti-solar-energy proposal. It will allow utility companies to charge fees to people who choose to put solar panels on their house, and it would effectively make it illegal for the state, or any utility company, to subsidize solar energy.

It has a ton of money from power companies behind it, but a recent leaked video shows some of the authors of the proposal bragging how it was designed to trick people into killing solar. So hopefully that will get out enough to keep it from passing.

And we have Amendment 2, which is the second try for medical marijuana. It was on the ballot last election, and it got (I think) about 57% of the vote, but constitutional amendments in Florida require 60% of the vote to pass. It's polling around 70% currently, so I suspect it will pass this time.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2016 at 11:24pm
That's the problem you get when you try to do an economical single payer system inside of a capitalist environment.  Go to full single payer and instead of the government paying $15 for a single Tylenol or $53 for a pair of latex gloves, they can hire more providers and take care of more patients.  The multiple insurance model only favors the upper class which is not you, and likely will not be your children or grandchildren.  You claim to be voting in the interest of them, but the policies you support only leave them worse off.  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2016 at 12:17pm
I think it's pretty ridiculous we cannot buy health insurance over state lines, or out of country. There is zero competition, and the ACA made it even worse. As a libertarian, I'm all about free market. But...

If we are going to have the surveillance state, government involved in most aspects of my life. I might as well get the economic benefit of a single payer system like the rest of the developed world. As much as I would like to see government shrink, it will never happen with our current system. So yeah, bring on single payer.

My VA and Canadian brothers say "Oh you don't want that, it's slow blah blah blah" I'll take a slow system, over a expensive one at this point. "Oh you're taxes will go up" How? We already pay more per capita on healthcare, than every other country currently. And it wouldn't even be that hard to set up. Simply expand the medicaid system to include everyone. Might as well merge medicare with medicaid. But what do I know.

If you're going to treat us as children, you need to take care of us also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 24>
  Share Topic