Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2016 election.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2016 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Whale, have any of your students ditched class to be in their "safe places" after the election?

I don't follow. 
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Whale, have any of your students ditched class to be in their "safe places" after the election?

I don't follow. 
You know, that place liberals famously like to hide where they're free of having to interact with people who might not share their world view that they have the right to exist.

Not the "real world" where you carry concealed, get "triggered" by protestors, ban hijabs in public or while driving, and need to protect your children from controversial topics like evolution and the existence of gays. 
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 1:00pm
Yeah, because liberal = supporting safe spaces.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2016 at 11:49pm
The University I work at did set up a 'space' for people to talk about their frustrations over the election, but I haven't heard of anyone actually using it.

Its sort of a weird climate right now, there's a college just up the road from us that had a big protest right after the election, whereas we saw none of that, even with our fairly high minority population. Statistically, our students tend to be a bit lower on the income and economic scales than other schools in our area.

The neighboring school up the road? The students are historically much 'better off' economically....and much whiter.

I'm not a social scientist by any means, so I wonder what the correlation is between the richer, whiter student body protesting over the poorer, more diverse student body that we have, if there is one at all.

?

oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 4:46am
Out here my step daughter is at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and she has stated that the campus day after the election was like a morgue in her words. Two of her classes that day were cancelled, and the student center was filled with a variety of crying kids and screaming ranting idiots. She is middle of the road based on her home life and her own perception of things. Yet to maintain friends she has to play a game to still be accepted among the 'idiot' friends who still think they can change the results somehow.
I sit in amazement, when my Dad was this age he was sitting in a bomber over Germany, dealing with it, when I was this age I was wading through rice paddies and dealing with it, these 'kids' today, something is definitely wrong here.
I actually fear for the future is a generation can not 'man up' and deal with the still legal electoral process, if they want change, change the process legally, Article 5 Convention and change the electoral process. But they must understand that 2/3rds of The States are never going to ratify an Amendment that will essentially make them and their populations irrelevant in future elections as those small blue dots in that sea of red choose their President.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2016 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

The University I work at did set up a 'space' for people to talk about their frustrations over the election, but I haven't heard of anyone actually using it.

Its sort of a weird climate right now, there's a college just up the road from us that had a big protest right after the election, whereas we saw none of that, even with our fairly high minority population. Statistically, our students tend to be a bit lower on the income and economic scales than other schools in our area.

The neighboring school up the road? The students are historically much 'better off' economically....and much whiter.

I'm not a social scientist by any means, so I wonder what the correlation is between the richer, whiter student body protesting over the poorer, more diverse student body that we have, if there is one at all.

Because the poorer students are working two part time jobs while going to college. They simply don't have the time nor the luxury to protest.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 3:27pm
Impulse hit the nail on the head. There's a whole of of white privilege in the groups that are most vocal about it. Maybe that's just me in New England. I know I had the experience of a whole lot of white professors telling me how much privilege I had while I was working manual labor in college and taking care of elderly relatives with dementia and other grave health problems. The problem of course, was that I took it personally at the time. I like my guns, hunting, went to church a whole lot for an infidel, and I have a whole boatload of disagreements with Islamic radicals. 

There are plenty of people crawling out of the woodwork now who are thrilled about what's happened for substantially un-American reasons. Plenty on the left have not been cool with free speech lately. They have been less than cool with the second amendment, and the tenth for that matter. Both "sides" have lately been pretty bad with the 4th Amendment

These guys on the "alt-right" have issues with 

The rest of the 1st Amendment (church/state, press), 
The 4th(domestic spying, abortion)
5th (due process)
6th (extraordinary rendition, military tribunals) 
8th (torture)
9th (deny rights not listed exist)
14th (equal protection under the law)
15th (voter restrictions)
16th (income tax)
19th (would really rather still see women as dependents)
24th (voter ID requirements are basically a poll tax if not provided)

A whole lot of those of course fall apart if you don't think the Constitution covers non-citizens, which, newsflash, it does. Political rights like voting aside, the rest are basic inalienable human rights and due process. They exist because people do, not because blood was spilled to protect them, not because they actually believe in a creator, or the same creator who endowed them with them. Unless of course you think all that Enlightenment era talk made the west soft, or that the founders were spewing propaganda to support elitism, which either makes you a fascist or a commie. 
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

I read that the University of Michigan gave out play-doh and crayons and coloring books for the emotionally distraught.  I thought to myself, "How is this different from any other day?"

Sorry.  I take my digs when I can.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 12:43pm
Play-doh and crayons? That seriously happened?

As someone now beginning their 30's, who is currently attending a public university in the "rust-belt", I didn't see anything like that the day after the election. There were no protests, no 'crying kids and screaming ranting idiots' as OS mentioned. No cancelled classes, no safe spaces. Obviously, I wasn't in the best mood but life goes on, man.

I should also say this is a heavily urban/manufacturing county (think rubber, blimps, and tires) that voted 51.57% Clinton, 43.03% Trump, so it's not like it's a right-wing bastion.

I can't back this up with any evidence other than anecdotal, but the narrative of a bunch of coddled, oversensitive, infantile, safe-space wielding, liberal, whining/crying/ranting millennials just doesn't hold up in my experience. It's not some pervasive overreaching theme everywhere. It's kind of a strawman, IMO. And it's irritating. 

Like, hell... I'm pretty left leaning, but I fish, hunt, pick ramps, morels and other wild mushrooms, can dress, skin, and butcher a deer, can replace a power steering pump and line, can drive a tractor, learn organic chemistry, play electric/upright/washtub bass, read a book, cook a meal, speak Spanish, make a spreadsheet, use a chainsaw, write code, work a corporate job...

So don't tell me liberal millennials are a bunch of pansies that can't function on their own outside their safe spaces or have no skills outside their philosophy degree. 

Sorry for ranting, stuff like that just strikes a major nerve for me. Where's Dune when you need him?

irc.esper.net
#paintball
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 3:41pm
I know that one of the VERY large universities near me offered counseling and "conversation spaces" for students upset by the election, and have had a couple walkouts/protests/etc.
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 3:45pm
One little disappointment and these kids can't cope. Do they understand they have a long life and disappointment is out there and tends to sneak up on you. And there is not enough crayons and play-doh to cover all of life's dissappointments.

This new generation scares me. With all we survived without breaking down to whinning crybaby's, makes me wonder what the future holds.

Edited by oldsoldier - 30 November 2016 at 3:47pm
JohnnyCanuck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
In soviet Canuckistan...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

One little disappointment and these kids can't cope. Do they understand they have a long life and disappointment is out there and tends to sneak up on you. And there is not enough crayons and play-doh to cover all of life's dissappointments.

This new generation scares me. With all we survived without breaking down to whinning crybaby's, makes me wonder what the future holds.

There's a lot I admire about you after being on here for the years I've been around.  Generalizing and attaching opinions to a whole generation is not a trait that is wise, or admirable.  You have lots to offer any generation - including whoever the 'kids' are that you are referring to, I doubt they'll want to hear it if you call them kids or whining crybabies. 

Imagine there’s a picture of your favourite thing here.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2016 at 11:30pm
My issue is all the stories out there about all these college types and 'kids' of this generation, tomorrows leaders, not able to handle that their 'Queen' lost the election and, 'The Sky is Falling' stories all over the information highway of the behavior. Here at UN-L they cancelled clases day after election, have couciling, and a still somber tone on campus according to step-daughter attending classes there. And heaven forbid if her classmates find out she did not vote for Hillary, in fact she did not vote for either, her rational was 'none of the above'. Ans She has seen several 'inquisitions' on campus, on those who voted for Trump, from faculity and students.

I am out of it, reason I bought the farm is to avoid people. I survived Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and Obama, Trump is just another in a line of idiots in charge with just a different name tag.

Edited by oldsoldier - 30 November 2016 at 11:34pm
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2016 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Play-doh and crayons? That seriously happened?

They do stuff like that here, but it's in relation to exam stress. They do it every year. 

(And to be fair I think the coloring thing is mostly tongue-in-cheek, although I've heard it's relaxing). 

They also do a thing where they bring in dogs from a local shelter that the students can pet/hang out with/play with. It helps socialize the dogs to help make them easier to adopt, and the dogs help calm down freaked-out students.

But yeah, nothing election related.

A big batch of us professors went out drinking after the election to talk about the impact Trump may have on higher education. That was fun. And depressing. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 01 December 2016 at 4:30pm
procarbinefreak View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Budget Medical Procedures Available

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote procarbinefreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2016 at 7:09pm
It's an odd feeling being in a class that's teaching things that could be directly impacted by this election.  It's one of those 'you know you're an adult when..." moments.  It'll be interesting to see what exactly happens to obamacare. 

rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2016 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

My issue is all the stories out there Who is publishing these stories? Is the same outlet pushing for reducing public financial support for colleges and/or is tied to a private lender? about all these college types and 'kids' of this generation, tomorrows leaders, not able to handle that their 'Queen' lost the election Hillary was NOT the choice of younger people, including women and African Americans, which were supposed to be her strong (pant)suit. and, 'The Sky is Falling' stories all over the information highway of the behavior. Here at UN-L they cancelled clases day after election, have couciling, and a still somber tone on campus according to step-daughter attending classes there. The results were coming in extremely late, had they had classes it would have been a lot of over-tired people on a short fuze, a great recipe for that "bad behavior" you saw at other campuses. Colleges in the future would be better off canceling classes ON election day to encourage civic participation instead of reflecting on what happened, but I digress. And heaven forbid if her classmates find out she did not vote for Hillary, in fact she did not vote for either, her rational was 'none of the above'. Ans She has seen several 'inquisitions' on campus, on those who voted for Trump, from faculity and students. She could refuse to answer. She could have an actual dialogue which is what a lot of higher education is about (especially if it was a "none of the above" vote, everyone was mad at them) or you know you could start saying that colleges should be a "safe space" where nobody would question her opinion. 

I am out of it, reason I bought the farm is to avoid people. I survived Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, and Obama, Trump is just another in a line of idiots in charge with just a different name tag. Thousands of Americans, including many of those you served with, did not survive those administrations. Even some of my classmates and students did not survive the last two. Dozens of my students did not survive a preventable disaster thanks partially to corrupt oversight and dodging of regulations, and that President (Park Geun Hye) is currently dealing with a 5% approval rating and hundreds of thousands of protesters in the streets. Political and executive screw ups kill people, sometimes quite a lot. This guy has more executive power than all but the last two Presidents, supreme court vacancies, and both chambers of congress in addition to zero experience in public service. If your generation had elected Wallace of McCarthy and survived maybe I'd buy your argument. 
 I have enjoyed your postings and insights for over a decade and a half. But if you want to paint my generation with such a broad brush I think it's more than fair we get to do yours. You guys inherited a country with unprecedented economic and military power. The world has never had a country with such a large middle-class, hell, you guys didn't even need to build a robust welfare-state with things like universal healthcare like European countries because it was a benefit expected from most jobs. Their infrastructure had been bombed to rubble, then they build newer stuff. You had pensions and 401k's, saw the discovery of a cure for polio. You had high levels of home ownership. Loads of you went to college through the GI bill or for dirt cheap (or tuition-free) at a state school. Your generation got a lot of things done as well. You had the civil rights movement, which ended legal segregation and brought on the voting rights act. You had massive gains in women's rights, we started to notice gay people actually existed, I can catch edible fish in rivers which used to be horrifically polluted. Your generation ended communism and the draft. 

But then again:

The voting rights act of 1964 has been gutted.

Public higher education is grotesquely expensive. Interest on government loans is going to continue to help pay for those unfunded wars because you guys just couldn't swing a tax hike. Besides, colleges just breed lefties and you shouldn't be able to afford it unless you fight (or your parents could pay for it, so much for attacking those Vietnam Era deferments). Service guarantees citizenship and all. Wink

You guys got a brand-new highway system and cars. Now it's falling apart, apparently we can't fix it, and communities around those places are often heavily contaminated with lead from unleaded gasoline. You know, those communities that for some reason have higher rates of crime, low scholastic achievement, high unemployment , and your generations clowns on Duck Dynasty say were happier before the civil rights era. M'kay. Throw some school vouchers and charters at them and I'm sure it will fix the schools. Just like tax cuts will encourage private infrastructure to replace the neglected public stuff. I can't wait to pay surge-pricing for commuting during rush-hour, but then again if we legalize discrimination by private entities maybe someone will build a highway that doesn't allow women drivers or Asians on it so I can get to my second job on time?

Speaking of women, my generation might be coddled, but most of you had a stay-at-home mother. Hell, you could afford to live on one income, and afford luxuries like home ownership and kids! We just got sent to daycare or head start and grew up with a bunch of immigrants and their kids and became friends with them. A lot of them even left countries your generation help destabilize! I'm sure the economy will turn around soon enough and everyone who has been putting off starting a family will settle down and have one, too bad that if they're pushing 40 by then, odds of downs syndrome and bi-polar disorder in their kids will go way up, glad we don't have an administration that hates special education or anything. 

You guys did have some lasting geopolitical successes though. You created alliances through military and economic cooperation that defeated a giant scary entity and smashed it into pieces because they were dumb enough to spend themselves stupid on defense. Who would do such a silly thing? But they really did have it coming for all of their work infiltrating the far-left and sowing discord domestically. Glad the surviving bits of that evil empire would never try to gain favor with a political minority in this country again and turn people against their own government! Good thing the EU , UN and NATO are still so strong even after (poorly) keeping the peace for 70 years! At least we're picking up more client states in Asia, Vietnam just loves arms deals!

Your generation is quite happy to undo civil institutions that made this country work so well while you were growing up that you inherited from your parents and grandparents generations. You've unleashed bad banking that destabilizes the economy, are undermining public education and infrastructure, social safety nets left over from the New Deal, life expectancy is dropping, the middle class is shrinking, faith in the government hasn't been this bad since Nixon. Our cold-war enemies are laughing at us and our hubris, and the gains of those in your generation who didn't fight the hot parts of the cold war could claim for social justice at home are looking to be rolled back. Fascism is back in vogue. Your generation spent the gains it inherited and is busy using us as collateral to maintain yourselves economically in the short-term. For all of the positive outcomes of the social strife of the 1960's and fights against totalitarian governments, your ability to retire to a farm you own is just a big shiny participation trophy. You guys blew it. Screw calling you guys the Baby Boomers, you're the Kronos Generation. 

Lord help us when you guys get more senile on average. Hope your generation can get along with your hispanic nurse's aids and your Pakistani VA doctors. Your kids will be at work, your grandkids won't visit because they won't exist. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2016 at 10:42pm
"Lord help us when you guys get more senile on average. Hope your generation can get along with your hispanic nurse's aids and your Pakistani VA doctors." Too late already happening.

As for the stories, unless you were blind the week after the election it was almost non stop the 'emotional' effect stories associated with Hillary's loss. From the major media as well as the National Inquirer social media sites.

All I am saying is in my memory to include the radical late 60's early 70's never have seen such an emotional response to an election. Media driven for a furthered agenda, possibly.

Being born during Truman, maturing under Johnson, and later a lot had happened, and on a whole we did not melt down when things did not go 'our way' All I am saying.

__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 5:44pm
OS, I would like to take a moment to point out that few people give a damn about Hillary.

Lots of people are horrified by Donald Trump.

These are completely separate issues, and by suggesting that we are whining about Clinton losing, rather than being horrified with what was just made President Elect of the United States, you just make yourself look ignorant about our actual concerns.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 8:10pm
You still do not get it. I voted in an "Enemy of my Enemy is my friend" mindset. I too can not stand Trump, but to accomplish my mission of not having Hillary as President I had to vote the only viable option I had, the lesser of the two evils presented IMHO.

The actual concerns addressed are the 'forgotten' of political flyover areas of the country that Democrats tend to forget. And like stated the conversations in the elite coffeehouses in the blue bastions of idiocy are no where near the concerns and conversations of the farmers here at the Squeegie Mobil Station on their 9AM coffee break as they work 19-20 hours a day to get the harvest in so those on the East and West Coast in those Blue alcoves of idiocy can eat.

I appreciate you are horrified by Trump, shows how disconnected you are as you follow your biased media. What you and yours still do not understand it is you and yours that created the Trump, and you obviously have not got a clue on how.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 5:06pm
So you're saying we shouldn't be horrified of a guy who gets on twitter complaining about how unwatchable the SNL skit lampooning his tweeting was? Not even mentioning everything else he's done and said.

Can you imagine Obama getting on twitter and ranting about every criticism that was thrown at him over the last 8+ years? Can you imagine any other president? 

He's winging it. He's in too deep and he doesn't care to learn actual policy. It's terrifying. Security briefings? Naw, we'll just let Pence handle it.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 24>
  Share Topic