Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2016 election.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 7:32pm
What I am saying is you make the best of a bad situation, deal with the issues and in 2020 present a candidate that actually has ideas and concepts that will work, not a continuation of current less than successful Democrat policy. If you can not win traditional Democrat areas, and many Democrats crossed the lines and voted Trump, what does that tell you about the inner workings of the Democrat Party.

Hillary lost elections to two of the worst and inexpierienced candidates either party could field. To Obama in the 2008 Primaries, and Trump in 2016. What does that say?

Trump was created as the main components of both parties 'forgot' about those in fly over country. The Democrats demeaning them as uneducated rubes, and the Republican almost the same. It was only the eclaves of idiocy in both Parties treating the majority of the Red areas as inferior, and only the coasts truly mattered, that the populace of these areas rebelled and we got Trump.

It was essentially a knee jerk reaction to the politics as usual in both Parties.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

in 2020 present a candidate
I'd like to see General Mattis run.  His campaign slogan can be, "Mad Dog 2020"!
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2016 at 10:36pm
OS,

Yeah, make the best out of a bad situation with a better candidate in 2020....If this is going to be as bad of a goat-rodeo as it is already looking like, I would like to see Republicans take him on in the primaries. The Democrats need to reform the party, Sanders was far from a perfect candidate but considering how odd this whole race was, he could have won, and even if he was ultra-left, congress could have checked him, an he's pragmatic enough to have crossed party lines. I have little faith the Democratic machine is going to expand past the coasts within a few years. 

Trump has invited Duarte to the white house as his first official guest. A politician who was called the "Donald Trump of the East". He is currently most famous for his drug war where about 40 people a day are killed, either by the police or vigilantes. Conveniently a few of them have been political rivals. The Philippines are a mess in general, it's a bunch of islands. But my greatest fear is that the US doesn't understand why it isn't a "third-world" nation. For population size we are in the club with China, Brazil, India, and Indonesia. Somehow we have a better quality of life and stable politics. We have a lot of potential in natural resources. There is a certain subset of the country that is very afraid that we're going to become a third world county due to immigration, there's another subset that thinks we can't compete with them unless we gut workplace safety regulations, minimum wages, and most other labor laws. On the other side you have people who think that our historically strong public institutions, wether at the state or federal level have helped us get where we are, going all the way back to the national road. The former just won. We aren't great because of who makes up our population. We are not exempt from becoming like any other large nation due to inherent qualities of our population. Institutions matter. The next secretary of education backs a think-tank that wants to bring back child labor. The president-elect has said that wages here are too high to compete with China and India. He has indicated that he would provide legal support for those who commit acts of violence against his detractors. If you dislike this guy, or simply don't support him, it's a disturbingly short reach to wonder if he'd just offer pardons to death squads. Police unions backed him and seem committed to support the worst of their profession, his potential choice for Homeland Security seems super eager to declare dissident groups terrorists and jail hundreds of thousands. I would like to think this is simply lefty scare-mongering, but his most loyal followers seem more than eager to use the massive amount of power that has been consolidated in the executive branch to destroy the opposition, possibly physically, and that our status as a New World county instead of a Third World one is based on the ethnic and cultural makeup of the nation and not on civil society built over centuries. 

My gut reaction is that Trump isn't ideological, but can be easily swayed by those who praise him.He was plastered by the media for his more controversial statements as being racist, xenophobic, and despotic. The far left believes this, as does the far right who think that is his strength. Literal neo-nazis are thrilled by this. Fans of Hans Hermann Hoppe are thrilled. For all of her flaws, Clinton seemed malleable to the public will as evidenced by her flip-flopping. But too late for that. If this is about to be as bad as the lefty scare-mongering would indicate, the majority of us who didn't want this through voting or non-participation need people like you who give tacit approval to Trump to be aware and prepared to oppose overstepping of norms, infringement of rights, and to recognize actions as such. If that's the case, we'll be ok. If you can continue to rationalize, you need to put out there what you think limits are. Yes, this is the slippery slope case, but this guy is pouring bacon grease down the slope whether or not he means to. If you guys are so dead-set on disbelieving the media, scientists, etc. as being elite and out of touch and therefore to be dismissed by nature of their professional ability to form opinions, I have little faith that you wouldn't rationalize more Kent States, Wacos, MOVE bombings, etc. let alone half-arseed investigations of political killings of dissidents targeted via social media that lead nowhere. There is literally nothing besides public engagement that could stop such a thing from happening here, or again. If this guy really does get his knowledge from cable news and social media, we're to blame as a polis as much as the President-elect is. 
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 9:22am
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself" a great quote when the country was in financially self destruction and the rumors and in their time 'fake' news foretold of the end of America as they knew it 1932. The quote was used to calm the people and in FDR's Inaugural address as the rumors and 'fake' news filled the rumor mills as well as major newspapers and radio.

Most are working on assumptions based on their preferred media outlet's opinion, that they are passing out as 'fact' even before anything of substance has happened.

All The Left is doing is using these perceptions to instill fear of a potential based on their perceptions. Until he takes Office and actually does something 'official' "We have nothing to fear, but fear itself."
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

My gut reaction is that Trump isn't ideological, but can be easily swayed by those who praise him.

I feel the same, and this is what terrifies me the most about him. He seems so narcissistic and thin-skinned that all it takes is for someone to give him the right amount of praise and he's on their side.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 6:51pm
Would we really want to see a full physcological profile on Hillary with her well documented video and sound bite 'history'. You know the answer, both are fragile minds, each has illusions of grandure, and each believes themselves to be the 'smartest' person on the Planet, to the point Democrats tell us that about Hillary all the time, even with all her documented behavior failings. And as long as their 'people' feed their emotional needs, the idiocy continues. And ONLY based on your perceptions fed to you, do you 'fear' Trump.

The only thing that has changed is the nametag on the idiot in charge, nothing more.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

My gut reaction is that Trump isn't ideological, but can be easily swayed by those who praise him.

I feel the same, and this is what terrifies me the most about him. He seems so narcissistic and thin-skinned that all it takes is for someone to give him the right amount of praise and he's on their side.
Ivanka might be useful for this, she seems to actually believe in decency. The Donald might be stuck in some sort of media-feedback loop where he looks bad to some people then doubles down on the bad stuff when his supporters see it as a strength. My concern stems much less from media narratives than from social media. The man himself loves twitter, it's stuff he says or retweets that I find more concerning than what scarmongering media sites say. Like when he retweets 15-year olds but edits them to be more inflamitory, or stuff made famous on Stormfront. The pollsters got this wrong and the anecdotes won out. If his supporters, to include close family members of mine, are willing to casually sound off in support of unconstitutional and authoritarian action up to and including extrajudicial killings, and he seems inclined to listed to the commentariate (including paid and unpaid trolls) this could easily go really badly. He seems really ready to hire black sheep who are famous for being loud and controversial which his supporters see as an asset, while the rest of us can see reasons why they're so controversial. 

Also OS, it did indeed get pretty damn bad after 1932. This guy got elected on fear and anxieties. 70 million humans died in a conflict in the 1930's and 40's, including over 400k Americans. The US was spared the worst of the damage thanks to vast oceans and limited technology. It also set our economic rivals back thanks to fiscal and physical destruction, and it made us a creditor nation. We aren't the sleeping giant this time. We're tired, and not nearly as big as the one nation (besides the United States) that has been his boogeyman. 
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 7:51pm

You still do not get it. I voted in an "Enemy of my Enemy is my friend" mindset. I too can not stand Trump, but to accomplish my mission of not having Hillary as President I had to vote the only viable option I had, the lesser of the two evils presented IMHO.

The actual concerns addressed are the 'forgotten' of political flyover areas of the country that Democrats tend to forget. And like stated the conversations in the elite coffeehouses in the blue bastions of idiocy are no where near the concerns and conversations of the farmers here at the Squeegie Mobil Station on their 9AM coffee break as they work 19-20 hours a day to get the harvest in so those on the East and West Coast in those Blue alcoves of idiocy can eat.

I appreciate you are horrified by Trump, shows how disconnected you are as you follow your biased media. What you and yours still do not understand it is you and yours that created the Trump, and you obviously have not got a clue on how.
I can actually appreciate your sentiment - as I felt the exact same way about Donald Trump. I appreciate your honesty, but I don't want this conversation to degenerate into "My candidate is less evil than your candidate!" I admit that backlash toward "liberal elitism" is what put Trump in office.

Clinton lost. This should no longer be a dialogue about one person versus another. Donald Trump won, and will be the next President of this country. Basing our conversation off of that fact, I would actually really appreciate your feedback on some issues that I have been having with Donald Trump's policies. I recognize that you are not a big fan either, but you did imply that he is going to help the struggling rural class. I keep hearing this a lot, but I don't understand why it is such a common belief.

First let me explain some of my background and my mindset, as you did for me. I have worked in many different kinds of businesses in my life. I opened my own photography studio when I was starting college, and I ran that store fairly successfully for a few years before moving on to open a grocery store with several members of my family and some outside angel investors. I ran a store with 15 employees and annual revenues of over $1 million for 5 years. During this time, I graduated college with a degree in business and economics. Meanwhile, the business has continued to grow and we have opened another location, but earlier this year I chose to leave that business while I go back for a degree in engineering. 

At the moment, I work in a factory. I build incredibly expensive batteries for the Department of Defence's missile programs and NASA spacecraft. I can put my hand on my heart and tell you that my job only exists because it is literally illegal to have these products built outside the United States. Further-still, my job likely won't exist much longer anyways, because machines can do 50x the work of our best employees, for a fraction of the cost in the long-term, with less errors.

I've not said any of this because I want to sound impressive, by the way. That ship sailed on this forum long ago. I just want you to know my background. I'm not a farmer, or a veteran, or a coal miner. I'm not going to claim to be an expert in anything that I'm not actually qualified to talk about. However - when it comes to economics, I'm quite a bit sharper than the average talk-show guest, or newspaper columnist. Take this for what you will - but it is my professional opinion that Donald Trump is full of crap.

If we impose a 35% tariff on imported goods, won't that make it more expensive for businesses to operate and produce goods? Doesn't that make it more difficult for US companies to compete with other countries who don't have to worry about the extra costs? Wouldn't it also raise the prices of almost everything that we buy as consumers?

I know what you are thinking. "Well that's the point - we need to bring jobs back to the US, not send them to India!." Well here's my response to you, sir: Minimum wage in the US is roughly $8/hr. compared to India, where it's about $1.00/day USD. Plus there are literally a billion more Indians than there are Americans.

If two companies are producing roughly equal goods, and one of them is paying their employees 6,400% more than the other company is paying their employees - guess which one is likely to survive longer? Then factor in the fact that the company with lower labor costs also has 4 times more production capacity.

If your goal is to uplift the struggling rural workers, my suggestion would be for education reform. We can't out produce India. We can't make our labor cheaper than China, or Indonesia, or Mexico. I don't understand why we should try and compete in areas where we aren't competitive? Our country produces more money in the service industries than in any other area by a huge margin. So why are we trying to bring back jobs that haven't been prosperous here in decades?

Not everyone is as lucky as I was. I had good parents, one of which makes a ton of money. I've lived a privileged life compared to many; it has sheltered me from some things, and exposed me to others. We all have unique life circumstances, but I think a more productive and effective goal is to level the playing field a little bit in terms of affordable access to higher education.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I would really appreciate your input.

Edited by __sneaky__ - 05 December 2016 at 8:57pm
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2016 at 10:11pm
My contention on the American worker is also diverse. Here in Nebraska I am in the corn/soybean belt where during the recent harvest the farmers were out 15-20 hours a day harvesting and weighing the crop as the bins filled and the transportation to the mills flowed. They were working all these hours no 'overtime', self sustaining in insurance and medical plan needs, and banking on the price not fluctuating and making a small 'profit' per bushel. So the 'overtime' and benefits promises by polititians mean nothing.

I have a Honda CRF250L, was not made in Marysville,OH by American workers or in Japan, but in Malaysia, and the quality control reflects. Looked at a Harley Davidson Street 500, not made in York, PA or Milwaukee, WI, but India, and again quality control reflects.

I am retired and have a 'hobby' business that if I went legal, the regulations and insurance, and other required costs would make it almost unprofitable. I run a beginners MX track here at the 'farm' and a 5 gal pail is hung on the entry gate. Somehow around 5 pm each day we are open I just happen to look at the bucket and there are quite a few $20 bills in it, how it happens no clue, wink, wink. I found a need, developed the market, and here we are, and I 'employ' the local kids at $11 an hour also picked up by the employee as it is laying on the ground just before dad picks them up, to do safety flagging and other chores on the days we are open. It is a shame I have to do it this way, but all the regulations as stated means no 'profit' and no improvements, so what is the point of running the business? Last year June to mid November approximately 20K, but fuel cast for machinery, the dirt moving equipment, the prepatory hours, it would not be worth it 'legally', that is one of the issues I find the Democrats refuse to address for the small business owner.

I have been a soldier, a cop, a truck driver, a in the office worker for a major trucking company, and now retired. HAve had several garage hobby businesses, and just do not see Democrats helping. When they tell me the money I put into Social Security is a 'benifit' when I have paid into their SS system for years is also a bone of contention.

Again watching Nebraska in the OmaLinc area repeat the mistakes of NYC and the lower commuter counties, I can't help by wonder what people think. They want low cast goods and services, high pay, and can not understand that with that higher pay comes higher pricing for their goods and services. The want all these alternative energy sources but NIMBY none of it in their back yard. The y want more 'free' stuff' and for the life of them can not figure out that someone else pays for their 'free' stuff.

I finished college in 2009, just a 'hobby' degree, as am too old and physically unable to 'work' per the employers liability regulations. And I sat in those classrooms with 18-25year olds all expecting a high paying mon-fri job that day after they graduate. Dreams and goals are fine, but the reality of life is not so kind.

And now I find it fascinating, when I was 19 I was wadding through rice paddies with someone out there trying to kill me, and all without 'safe places' and other social and cultural idiocy kids need today to cope with something as simple as your gal lost an election.

I am an old guy, 10-15 years left on this ride, hopefully. I no longer fear for my future, nor my kids, the grandkids totally different story, as the instant satisfaction needs of today at the cost of future generations that scares me.

Remmember I saw what the Hillary 'promise' did to central NY, made it far worse, as her only goal was the next rung on the ladder to President, the people of the State of New York were not even a real concern to her. Nor were many of those Red flyover states in 2016, that she could not even try to communicate with, just the priority of the areas dependent on government and the entitlements therein and would vote Blue no matter what. We out here in Nebraska are and always will be nothing to the East and West Coast coffee house pretend, and I will say it, 'Liberal' intellectuals who have no clue the amount of 'education' it takes to grow that corn, or soybeans, and raise that feed cattle crop that feeds them. And nor do they care, as long as it is in their supermarket, why bother caring how it got there. Regulate the hell out of it, and hey why did the price go up, that's not fair, people got to eat, that is the political logic that should scare you to death.

Edited by oldsoldier - 05 December 2016 at 10:17pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2016 at 6:58am
OS, I respectfully call BS on the Indian Harley Davidson. Certainly not York though, they only make larger bikes.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2016 at 9:56am

Looked at a Harley Davidson Street 500, not made in York, PA or Milwaukee, WI, but India, and again quality control reflects.
The 500 and 750 bikes sold in the United States are built in Kansas City, MO.  The 500 and 750 as well as some other models built in Bawal, India are for sale in those territories (aka The rest of the world) and not imported back into the United States.

Edited by StormyKnight - 06 December 2016 at 9:58am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2016 at 11:30am
One I looked at, at Frontier had a India origin on the VIN plate. Odd ball? but was there. Maybe a 1st model, was a left over, or a production delay import who knows.

Know the big bikes are made in York, but the intention of the comment is when and if production line moves to a more 'friendly' place.

13:35 just off phone with friend who is Harley Dealer Mechanic. He still see's the Indian made bikes now and then, not as often as when they first were released. His opinion is the line was up in India before KC and the initial ones were imports, now all domestic.

Edited by oldsoldier - 06 December 2016 at 2:38pm
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2016 at 7:52pm
OS, find me a Sportster under $2500 that wasn't a meth head project.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 12:02am
They are out there Craigslist....will take about another $2500 to get them road worthy and 'safe'.

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/mcy/5906643033.html

They are out there.

Edited by oldsoldier - 07 December 2016 at 12:03am
FreeEnterprise View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Not a card-carrying member of the DNC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeEnterprise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 1:25pm
Fact is, the US system is rigged to help other countries. You can see it easily just by looking around at what is available to you and at what price. 

For example. It is illegal to ship lithium batteries through the US postal service. 

And yet, you can go right now to ebay, buy lithium batteries for pennies on ebay and they will come to you SHIPPED from china or japan or another country and the cost to buy them AND ship them will be less than you can ship them the other direction one way. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Quantity-4-TrustFire-10440-600mAh-3-7V-AAA-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-1XE2-/181833729391?hash=item2a5622856f:g:wTgAAOSwPcVVzY2t

If you took this package, and slapped a address in china on it and took them to the post office (who just delivered them to your home) you would be told the minimum to ship them would be in excess of $10, and they don't ship lithium batteries...

But, they can do it coming to us. 

Then you have the whole "war on coal" that liberals have pushed for the past 15 years. because the ozone layer (oh wait, that was global cooling that caused that from freon, remember that... that was the last "climate" scare that gained them millions and caused us to lose a good source of cooling). So because of co2 emissions we have to get rid of coal. That caused all the miners who dug coal to lose their jobs. As we had to then ship our coal out of our country, and the taxes on coal fired became too much to have it which decimated the rust belt. As most factories use coal to run their equipment as it was cheap and easy to get. Paying huge electic bills to a utility was silly for a company that could just install a coal powered generator and make their own power. So most paper companies were coal run. 

Ban coal, and the paper companies left the country... We lost 3 here in my town. That had been here for over 100 years each and the typical pay was over $25 an hour for factory jobs there... 

Those jobs are now gone, but hey, we have more taco bell jobs...

They tremble at my name...
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by FreeEnterprise FreeEnterprise wrote:

Fact is, the US system is rigged to help other countries. You can see it easily just by looking around at what is available to you and at what price. 

For example. It is illegal to ship lithium batteries through the US postal service. 

And yet, you can go right now to ebay, buy lithium batteries for pennies on ebay and they will come to you SHIPPED from china or japan or another country and the cost to buy them AND ship them will be less than you can ship them the other direction one way. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Quantity-4-TrustFire-10440-600mAh-3-7V-AAA-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-1XE2-/181833729391?hash=item2a5622856f:g:wTgAAOSwPcVVzY2t

If you took this package, and slapped a address in china on it and took them to the post office (who just delivered them to your home) you would be told the minimum to ship them would be in excess of $10, and they don't ship lithium batteries...

But, they can do it coming to us. 

Li Batteries have this problem where they catch fire if mishandled. Yeah, it might be silly to ban shipping a single battery but bulk-shipping them without oversight is a bad idea. I really don't want to be in a plane that has a bunch of them cooking each other off in the cargo hold. 

Then you have the whole "war on coal" that liberals have pushed for the past 15 years. because the ozone layer (oh wait, that was global cooling that caused that from freon, remember that... that was the last "climate" scare that gained them millions and caused us to lose a good source of cooling). Plenty of Aussies got skin cancer from that one. CFC refridgerents and styrofoam were the biggest producers of that and international controls over CFC productions is actually a good model for tackling the issue. Getting cooked by solar radiation is more of a concern than the "global cooling" issue. Burning high-sulfer coal (we've burned most of the "clean" anthracite) also produces sulfer dioxide, leading to acid rain. It's why all of those Civil War era gravestones are almost unreadable, that stuff eats marble and limestone, and would also reduce the life expectancy of concrete, leading to another expensive mess. Plus it kills off trout populations. You won't find breeding rainbow trout populations in the Northeast unless it's a limestone stream, and brook trout that were stocked in lakes in the Adirondacks died off because of it. Also coal-ash is really, really, gross stuff you don't want getting into a river, and getting companies to take responsibility and clean up the occasional mess has been a challenge. I'll take natural gas over coal any day, fracking concerns be damned.  Save the coal for something more useful like steel production. So because of co2 emissions we have to get rid of coal. That caused all the miners who dug coal to lose their jobs. As we had to then ship our coal out of our country, and the taxes on coal fired became too much to have it which decimated the rust belt. As most factories use coal to run their equipment as it was cheap and easy to get. Paying huge electic bills to a utility was silly for a company that could just install a coal powered generator and make their own power. So most paper companies were coal run. 

Ban coal, and the paper companies left the country... We lost 3 here in my town. That had been here for over 100 years each and the typical pay was over $25 an hour for factory jobs there... We lost the paper mills up here long ago and largely destroyed the community. It's heroin and desperation now, but the river is back to a world-class trout stream. You probably remember Strathmore stationary. Texon is still making cellulose board for shoe insoles. NIMBY shut down wind power locally, as well as a biomass plant, and gas pipeline. You would probably need big government backing to force communities to allow coal instead.  The locals also don't like high speed internet projects, the kids go to college and move out of the area, and the aging population doesn't like paying for schools anymore so towns pull out of the district. As they die off the banks and nursing homes get the property. It has been a huge draw for the Mennonite community to take off though. 

Those jobs are now gone, but hey, we have more taco bell jobs...

SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 6:03pm
Redneck, the steel industry pulled out of coal decades ago. Foreign mills discovered smaller electric furnaces were less overhead and wiped out the domestic industry.

US Steel has only 8% of the market IIRC. Other than Nucor and USS most steel is foreign owned.
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2016 at 6:31pm
Are they not still using coal-derrived coke for adding carbon content? 
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2016 at 5:54am
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
RenegadeGopher View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Renegade of Funk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RenegadeGopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

in 2020 present a candidate
I'd like to see General Mattis run.  His campaign slogan can be, "Mad Dog 2020"!

This.

EDIT: USAFPilot: Yeah, Hillary threw in NC hard. If she didn't go to Lexington, or Calabash, she should claim no experience with food notoriety in the state.

Edited by RenegadeGopher - 08 December 2016 at 3:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 24>
  Share Topic