Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2016 election.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 9:08am
Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

My aunt went on a nice little rant about healthcare and how she doesn't remember going to school with anyone with severe allergies and cant understand why an epi-pen being astronomically expensive is an issue. When reminded that either those allergies didn't exist then thanks to overly-cautious approaches to early exposure or that those kids simply died before school age, she claimed she saw nothing wrong with that and maybe those kids are genetically inferior and should be allowed to die out if you can't afford life-saving medication out-of pocket, or that she should have to pay any more in insurance subsidize keeping those people alive.

Actually, more and more info coming out now points to a lack of caution with early exposure is what prevented life-threatening reactions in kids "back in the day." Case in point, my dad is allergic as hell to peanuts, but it only bothers him when combined with another allergy. He literally scores a "9" on the 1-10 reaction scale, but won't show any signs of a reaction unless another allergy hits. The reason? He ate peanuts/peanut-butter his whole life from an early age so his body adapted over that time. Doctors are now recommended to tell parents to feed their kids EVERYTHING* as soon as they are on solid foods (*with the exception of honey due to botulism concerns).

As for the rest of it, no offense, but your aunt can go DIAF for statements like that IMHO.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2017 at 11:08am
OF COURSE Louis CK is a funny guy...

BUT MAYYYBBBEEEEE this video isn't forum appropriate.

Edited by Eville - 21 March 2017 at 10:11pm
rednekk98 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dead man...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rednekk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2017 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Originally posted by rednekk98 rednekk98 wrote:

My aunt went on a nice little rant about healthcare and how she doesn't remember going to school with anyone with severe allergies and cant understand why an epi-pen being astronomically expensive is an issue. When reminded that either those allergies didn't exist then thanks to overly-cautious approaches to early exposure or that those kids simply died before school age, she claimed she saw nothing wrong with that and maybe those kids are genetically inferior and should be allowed to die out if you can't afford life-saving medication out-of pocket, or that she should have to pay any more in insurance subsidize keeping those people alive.

Actually, more and more info coming out now points to a lack of caution with early exposure is what prevented life-threatening reactions in kids "back in the day." Case in point, my dad is allergic as hell to peanuts, but it only bothers him when combined with another allergy. He literally scores a "9" on the 1-10 reaction scale, but won't show any signs of a reaction unless another allergy hits. The reason? He ate peanuts/peanut-butter his whole life from an early age so his body adapted over that time. Doctors are now recommended to tell parents to feed their kids EVERYTHING* as soon as they are on solid foods (*with the exception of honey due to botulism concerns).

As for the rest of it, no offense, but your aunt can go DIAF for statements like that IMHO.
And that's a reasonable analysis based on not being an ass and looking at actual studies. Not a reflexive dismissal that any other person's issue is not their issue and that it's better to let them die or go broke than maybe spend tens of dollars a year on anything that might help them, family or not. I got some other gems from her and the extended family last weekend as well. 

Like, voting should be restricted to property owners and your bank or lender should get your vote until the mortgage is paid off. Minorities are inherently incompatible with civil society and should be heavily profiled because they're probably guilty of some crime and can therefore be deprived of voting rights. Any woman who gets birth control subsidized through their health plan should be required to have intercourse through my uncle if his income is greater than their since he's basically paying them to have sex already, FOX News and especially Shepard Smith have gone too far left, as has the rest of America. Brietbart, Info Wars, Rush Limbaugh, and RT are the only sources that can be trusted. The US has replaced the USSR as the major communist country and any Russian action that has defied US interests in the last administration was helping liberate us from the Muslim communist president, and if they defied the administration before him, they were agents of the stateless money interests like George Soros and assorted other people who just happen to be Jewish. The only thing it was missing was pizzagate truthers. Seriously these family members between them fled the country and lived on communes during the Vietnam War, have had more than one abortion, get along with their hispanic neighbors, and were fairly mainline Republicans who read National Review just a few months ago,  but this is the crap you get after a few glasses of scotch in a private setting with them now. I also learned I must have illegitimate children everywhere (probably hispanic anchor babies) to help their mothers get welfare and to protect my job security because I'm a commie stooge for working at a public school. This is the twilight zone. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2017 at 10:55am
Not only could the GOP not repeal ACA, they couldn't even implement their own plan. That made me laugh.
__sneaky__ View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Voted 2010 Most Improved horse fondler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 9:58am
Flynn should not visit any former Soviet-block countries for a while.

Or ever again.

Rednekk, I've gotten a lot of that in the past several months as well. People who I used to consider close friends now speak to me as though I'm an invalid. I can't even begin to count how many times I've been called a snowflake, an ignorant millennial, a libtard and on and on by those same individuals. A few family members have blocked myself and my wife entirely from social media.

I have owned two separate start-up small businesses. I have a degree in business from a fairly small (sub 5,000 students until 2017) University in SW Missouri. People tell me that University professors are all liberal drones, but I can assure you; mine weren't anywhere close to liberal. I scored in the top 1% of business students nationwide, including Ivy League, during the Major Field Test. I AM more liberal than most of my surrounding community, but truthfully, I am fairly middle of the road with left leaning tendencies. Yet I have family members introducing me like, "This is my liberal cousin..." because we had recently had a conversation about why I felt it was wrong to ban and deport the entire Muslim population.

I had another conversation recently about "Why can't all the refugees go to Middle Eastern countries?" We went back and forth on this for a little while until I broke down and started listing off the actual refugee quota numbers that each country had set for refugee immigration. I then posed the question, "If these [independant] nations have already set their limits, doesn't that invalidate your argument? We don't get to tell them how many refugees they take in; we only get to control our own country's actions." At which point the other person stopped responding to me entirely, and went back to posting absurd far-right meme's on their page again about millennial lib-tards.

This absolutely is the Twilight Zone, and it's maddening. I've shared the wikipedia page on "gaslighting" with so many friends in the past few months I'm starting to thing I should get a small advertising stipend.
"I AM a crossdresser." -Reb Cpl

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 10:26am
Where was all this on the initial faults of Obama, oh I forgot for the past 8 years all the schools did was 'praise' him, and all you can do is follow the directed faults of Trump. You do understand this is the cycle of youth, can wait till your 'kids' tell you how wrong you are in your belief system. Gotta love reality.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:56am
Comparing Obama to Trump in any capacity isn't going to win you compassion from anyone other than the far-right.

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 2:05pm
Not intending to. Just hoping those of you of youth here understand the concept. Most of you too young to understand the Gore Bush fiasco of 2000. Just letting you know what you will more than likely face in 20years or so.

Trump is just a 1 term knee jerk reaction to the major parties sole concern of the West Coast and North East and screw the rest of the fly over states in the middle. MY vote was anti-Hillary plain and simple as was not offered any real alternative, so "The enemy of my enemy, is my friend' for the moment.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 2:08pm
The enemy of your enemy is still burning your house down.

I don't expect to be "hip and with-it" for the rest of my life. I do intend to hold on to my own sense of basic self-preservation.

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 4:59pm
Well, I finally had enough of the Democratic Party. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 31 March 2017 at 5:02pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2017 at 11:59pm
Good on you Whale. Be prepared for "wasting" you're vote comments in 4 years.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 12:25am
Commie.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

Good on you Whale. Be prepared for "wasting" you're vote comments in 4 years.
I can appreciate the sentiments, but I think priority number 1 is to get Trump out of office. Refine party policy and culture from there. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Tl;dr - Don't waste your vote.

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2017 at 9:01pm
Democratic Party culture is what let Trump get elected in the first place.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2017 at 9:52am
I don't entirely disagree with that. Still - getting Trump out is item 1. Don't fracture the party before you can accomplish that. A third party will struggle to gain the necessary numbers in the given time frame.

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote __sneaky__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 2:22pm
Well after the incident of bombing Syria; today we just dropped a MOAB on Afghanistan.

For those of you who are not familiar with this bomb, it's the largest non-nuclear bomb in the U.S. arsenal.

This is going well.

Forum Vice President

RIP T&O Forum
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

Well after the incident of bombing Syria; today we just dropped a MOAB on Afghanistan.

For those of you who are not familiar with this bomb, it's the largest non-nuclear bomb in the U.S. arsenal.

This is going well.
Probably not from the terrorist's point of view...
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by __sneaky__ __sneaky__ wrote:

In all fairness, it's not THAT big. 11 ton yield which is a teeny, tiny fraction of even the smallest of practical nuclear weapons.

It's not even close to being as big as the FOAB that Russia produces which weighs in at 44 ton yield.

It's really only fractionally more powerful than the BLU-82s we were dropping like crazy at the beginning of the war in Afghanistan and to clear minefields an demoralize soldiers in Iraq. That's what it really is BTW, a demoralization weapon. It can overturn armor pretty well with the over pressure front in a small area (couple hundred yards max) and it does a good job of killing everyone in that same couple hundred yards, but it's not a penetrator, it doesn't deliver the same devastation that carpet bombing does, and carries greater risk in using than a stand-off weapon. They're made to be really big, and really frikken visible to demoralize the enemy.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2017 at 11:41pm
I'm more worried of war drums when it comes to North Korea.
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 12:38am
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

I'm more worried of war drums when it comes to North Korea.
Yeah, that's looking more and more ominous lately.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 24>
  Share Topic