Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2016 election.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FreeEnterprise's #1 Fan & Potty Mouth

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 8:53pm
Can we talk for a minute about how the Libertarian party had a chance to really start gaining a foothold for 4-12 years down the road(particularly Congressionally) and decided to make Gary Johnson their poster boy?
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 8:38am
He just came out of the gate too late, and initially was buried in the Trump/Clinton/Sanders media saturation. So now no matter how qualified he is a no win 'Perot' style candidate, just a spoiler for whoever he takes votes from.
usafpilot07 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

He just came out of the gate too late, and initially was buried in the Trump/Clinton/Sanders media saturation. So now no matter how qualified he is a no win 'Perot' style candidate, just a spoiler for whoever he takes votes from.

Honestly, I disagree. I think if you look at the Johnson camp, they started their campaigning up 6-12 months before the big races really got started. However, every major campaign we've seen over the last year and a half has had incredibly obvious flaws. 

• We've seen the GOP fall into the "Never Trump" crap while Rubio/Cruz continued to fight over scraps instead of uniting early on after Ryan/Carson/Walker/Paul were out
  • There's been a lot of talk about Bernie's campaign being mismanaged by Sanders directly, unwilling to take advice from his advisors, staying in long after it was clear that Hillary was going to win regardless of any super-delegated nonsense the DNC has built in
  • Then the Trump camp's initial inability to guide him to the right talking points, keep the message on target, etc
  • The Hillary camp's inability to head off any bad press or really highlight her strengths, repeated backslides, avoiding public appearances, etc
And when I look at Johnson, his past, his politics, his personality? I don't see a guy that the Libertarian party put up as anything other than to 1) just get attention via the "any press is good press" mentality and 2) to appease/attract the portion of the voting populace that cares as much about being against the status quo as it does about his actual politics. 

I don't say that to dismiss the Libertarian party. Under different circumstances, I'd have most likely voted that way this year. But I don't like the Johnson pick for them.
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 6:14pm
From my observation out here in fly over country (Nebraska) well into the campaign, as I puttered around a Bernie rally near the University of Nebraska campus, I asked several if anyone could name the 'other' candidates, they could ID Trump and Clinton and when I asked about the name Gary Johnson, got a 100% 'who' response. And in watching TV out here and news coverage, Johnson got no news coverage, or commercial time recognition. Basically a no one until maybe late August.

So I can see that as a potential in far too many small marker election coverage areas. Just not enough exposure and name recognition.
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 10:30pm
I have no idea what just happened.
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 8:39am
Last night on my way into work, I started listening to the Saints/Falcons game.  When the channel faded, I started scanning for another one.  Just about every other channel landed me on the debate.  All I could think was, "This sounds like two baboons squabbling over a piece of fruit."  Just gave up and turned Pandora on...

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 9:27am
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Last night on my way into work, I started listening to the Saints/Falcons game.  When the channel faded, I started scanning for another one.  Just about every other channel landed me on the debate.  All I could think was, "This sounds like two baboons squabbling over a piece of fruit."  Just gave up and turned Pandora on...

I rarely talk about my fantasy football team, but i went into that game down 74 points and ended up winning. At least one competition last night benefited me.
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 10:16am
It's great that the only thing they agreed on, was stripping away 2nd Amendment rights with zero due process. And Donald sure does love stop and frisk also.

They are both repulsive.
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by impulse418 impulse418 wrote:

It's great that the only thing they agreed on, was stripping away 2nd Amendment rights with zero due process. And Donald sure does love stop and frisk also.

They are both repulsive.

Yep, that's been my takeaway from the Cliffs' Notes version. Pisses me off to no end.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2016 at 10:11pm
It was essentially just a series of live attack ads followed by the candidates reaction.  
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 1:10am
I watched the whole debate. Alcohol was a must.

Hillary seemed really fake at times with a lot of seemingly canned answers, which is part of the problem she has appealing to many people. Way too much of a politician and slightly robotic, and people find it off-putting and not genuine. This is only partly why I really don't fancy her too much.

BUT.....

Trump really blew it. Jesus Christ, the rambling answers, bragging about not paying taxes, that bizarre non-sequitur about his 10 year old son and how good he is with computers in the middle of a cybersecurity question, you know, "the cyber." 

One of these two will be president. It's not what a lot of people wanted, but my God. I can't understand why anyone thinks Trump is remotely qualified for this job. I have a feeling it's either that party affiliation is strong enough that people will vote for their team no matter what, or that they hate liberals so much they also don't care who gets in as long as it ain't no stinkin' liberal, so they'll burn it all to the ground.

I really don't like Hillary. I was for Bernie and voted in the primary for him. Never voted in a primary before- gonna make it my goal to never miss one again. Anyway, I said I'd never vote for Hillary ever, but I changed my mind a few weeks ago.

One of these two will be president. They might both suck, but one sucks at least a degree of magnitude less than the other. It's still close in Ohio. I'm not going to toss my vote away. The thought of Trump potentially nominating up to 4 new Supreme Court Justices absolutely terrify me.  

I wish we always had a choice that was ideologically pure for everyone, but that isn't how politics usually work. Trump terrifies me, and I live in a swing state that has recently edged toward Trump. You know who I'll be voting for. Begrudgingly, but necessarily the way I see it.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
StormyKnight View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StormyKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 7:55am
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

The thought of Trump potentially nominating up to 4 new Supreme Court Justices absolutely terrify me.

On the flip-side.  The idea of Hillary nominating 4 new Supreme Court Justices terrifies me as well, especially if one of them is the current POTUS.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 11:02am
Originally posted by StormyKnight StormyKnight wrote:

Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

The thought of Trump potentially nominating up to 4 new Supreme Court Justices absolutely terrify me.

On the flip-side.  The idea of Hillary nominating 4 new Supreme Court Justices terrifies me as well, especially if one of them is the current POTUS.

Yeah, the Supreme Court is what eventually drove me to my decision to vote for Trump. There were several I liked more than him, both Republican and Libertarian, but given that Hillary is the alternative...

That said, I'm still on the "everybody this year sucks" bandwagon.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2016 at 4:31pm
One, that was the worst debate performance I've ever seen from someone running for public office of any kind. And I used to cover local government. Clinton didn't even do a great job, but Trump managed to somehow come in under his already really low expectations. 

Two, I've decided that I'm voting for Clinton because I live in a close swing state, and like was said, under no circumstances should Donald Trump ever come close to being allowed to pick Supreme Court justices. His reaction to stop-and-frisk during the debates sealed the deal for me. When told that a thing he was praising on stage had been found unconstitutional, his response was to say "no it wasn't" and ignore the correction. He just seems to lack the cognitive capacity to know how law/government actually functions. That or he just doesn't care, which I think is probably more accurate. 
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usafpilot07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 12:38am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

One, that was the worst debate performance I've ever seen from someone running for public office of any kind. And I used to cover local government. Clinton didn't even do a great job, but Trump managed to somehow come in under his already really low expectations. 

Two, I've decided that I'm voting for Clinton because I live in a close swing state, and like was said, under no circumstances should Donald Trump ever come close to being allowed to pick Supreme Court justices. His reaction to stop-and-frisk during the debates sealed the deal for me. When told that a thing he was praising on stage had been found unconstitutional, his response was to say "no it wasn't" and ignore the correction. He just seems to lack the cognitive capacity to know how law/government actually functions. That or he just doesn't care, which I think is probably more accurate. 

But wasn't the eventual ruling that stop-and-frisk in and of itself wasn't unconstiutional, but that the way that Bloomberg and Kelly had it implemented WAS? Obviously to target anyone based on race is not okay and should be struck down, but stop and frisk in and of itself as an idea in high-crime areas is sort of an extension of Terry v. Ohio.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 2:42am
The way I see it, if you want supreme court justices that will always rule in favor of business regardless of how it screws over the middle and lower classes, then vote for Trump. 
Kayback View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Ask me about my Kokido

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 2:43am
Damn I am so sick of this. If I have to unfriend any more political experts on FB I will have to close my account.

Coming from experience of bad presidents you guys are in trouble either way it goes. I don't know much about your 3rd party guy, he may be ok or he may be "not Trump/Hillary".

As far as I can see from this side of the ocean you don't have much positives running for either major candidate. There is a LONG list of negatives for both.
Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. H = 2
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Kayback Kayback wrote:

Damn I am so sick of this. If I have to unfriend any more political experts on FB I will have to close my account.

Coming from experience of bad presidents you guys are in trouble either way it goes. I don't know much about your 3rd party guy, he may be ok or he may be "not Trump/Hillary".

As far as I can see from this side of the ocean you don't have much positives running for either major candidate. There is a LONG list of negatives for both.

When the guy who has had to deal with 20+ years of ANC rule says you're screwed, you're screwed....
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 8:33am
[QUOTE=usafpilot07] 

But wasn't the eventual ruling that stop-and-frisk in and of itself wasn't unconstiutional, but that the way that Bloomberg and Kelly had it implemented WAS? 

[quote] 

Yes, but the context in which he was speaking, and the context of the question was being asked, was specifically concerning how it had been implemented in New York City, primarily by Giuliani. That's where my concern lies -- because he was talking about how great the policy had been in NYC, when that implementation was the one that was found to be relying heavily on racial targeting and didn't fall within the set SCOTUS parameters from other cases. 

And, really, this is just one example of something that concerns me, which is his absolute denial of facts on issues where he's been corrected. 
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 9:07am
I love how stop and frisk was his answer on race relations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 24>
  Share Topic