Forum Home Forum Home > News And Views > Thoughts and Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2016 election.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 2016 election.
    Posted: 15 August 2016 at 1:28pm
Probably time to go ahead and congratulate President Hillary Clinton. 

Edited by agentwhale007 - 15 August 2016 at 1:28pm
God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2016 at 3:57pm
That is terrible. The USA is doomed with Hilary as president.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 2:29am
Originally posted by God God wrote:

That is terrible. The USA is doomed with all of congress.
/fixed
SSOK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Savior of Christmas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSOK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 4:50am
Deleted

Edited by SSOK - 16 August 2016 at 4:50am
impulse418 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
off the hook four days early <3 <3 <3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote impulse418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 9:50am
I wonder if the run on the gun stores will be the worst we've seen so far.
agentwhale007 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 10:23am
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

Really, you know better. Hate to 'p' in your corn flakes but there are polls that show a very different picture out there as well.

Which ones? 

Quote Polls are constructs anymore, you can ask a select demographic and be sure you get the numbers you want, and you know that.

Popular opinion polling is as scientific as it has ever been, and to be clear, the 538 numbers are a calculation of the weighted average of a bunch of polls by different companies (Gallup, Rasmussen, etc.). 

Quote Take a poll in a dependent culture inner city, and rural no where of farmers, and two totally different results.

That's not how polls work. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 10:30am

The USA is doomed with Hilary as president.

Seems like a little bit of hyperbole. 
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

The USA is doomed with Hilary as president.

Seems like a little bit of hyperbole. 

Meh. It's the same exact hyperbole that the Clinton Cadets are all spouting about Trump.

I don't like the way any of it smells. When the DNC can have evidence presented against them stating that they were, or were planning to undercut their own in-house competition to secure the nomination for Hillary, what are they doing/willing to do in their bid against Trump?
There's just way too much that she's been mixed up in, implicated in, and murky on that it's far too much to be simply the right throwing feces at her to see what sticks.

On the other hand, Trump is off his rocker, lacking even the most basic skill-set required to be a successful statesman. You won't catch me often agreeing with Obama, but when he said that Trump is "woefully unprepared" for the job, he was right.

There's no honesty, no transparency, nothing at all that can or should be liked about either of them, nor the rabid miscreants that fail to realize the shortcomings of their favorite candidate.

Truth be told? They're two halves of the same coin. Both out for their own gain, and willing to tell you anything that you'll want to hear at any given time.

I'm hoping against hope that third party and independent voters take enough electorates away so that neither candidate earns enough to secure the presidency, and it goes to the house for appointment.
That won't happen though, and even though I won't be casting a ballot for either of the two, I've been pretty sure that she'll end up taking the election....whether by gain or by game, she'll end up in the White House.

Edited by Reb Cpl - 16 August 2016 at 1:04pm
?

God View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Pull My Finger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 4:51pm
Trunp, Trump, Trump, Trump.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2016 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Reb Cpl Reb Cpl wrote:

Meh. It's the same exact hyperbole that the Clinton Cadets are all spouting about Trump.

I probably tend to agree. A Trump presidency would probably just be him handing control over to congress and being a do-nothing style presidency like the late 1800s. Trump has given no indication he actually cares about doing anything as president, he just likes the attention. 

Quote When the DNC can have evidence presented against them stating that they were, or were planning to undercut their own in-house competition to secure the nomination for Hillary, what are they doing/willing to do in their bid against Trump?

This coming from someone who has kicked in a few hundred bucks to the Democrat running against Debbie Wasserman Schultz, and was really generally frustrated with some of the things discussed in the emails, the emails really don't indicate any widespread tampering. It was mostly a bunch of higher-ups crap talking about not liking Sanders. It was real rinky-dink stuff, on the grand scheme of rat(screwing) in a primary. 

I supported Sanders, and I gave money to the Sanders campaign, I was involved in street-team stuff for the campaign, I'm now involved in DSA and Berniecrats.net -- but even I can look at the numbers and see Sanders lost by 4 million votes. The kinds of stuff talked about in the emails doesn't cost someone 4 million votes. 

Quote On the other hand, Trump is off his rocker, lacking even the most basic skill-set required to be a successful statesman. You won't catch me often agreeing with Obama, but when he said that Trump is "woefully unprepared" for the job, he was right.

See, the thing I don't understand is why the Clinton campaign has been framing their attacks against Trump as him being "dangerous," or him being crazy. I don't think he's crazy, or dangerous, or whatever. He's just a huckster. He's a carnival barker, a reality TV star who really, really likes people paying attention to him. 

He's taken the frustration of a lot of people because of what's going on around them and funneled into hate against immigrants and Mexicans and Muslims and poor people. And he's done it because he likes when people cheer him on stage. 

Quote Truth be told? They're two halves of the same coin. Both out for their own gain, and willing to tell you anything that you'll want to hear at any given time.

Yeah. Pretty much. 

I think I disagree with the phrasing of "two halves of the same coin," even though Trump is running as a reality TV guy who really likes the attention, whereas Clinton is running as a career opportunist -- Trump's essentially running on a diet fascism platform, and Clinton is running as a center-right Republican. Aside from a handful of social issues, there's very little different about Clinton's platform in 2016 and Mitt Romney's in 2016. 

As someone from the actual left, that's pretty disheartening. I don't really know who I'm voting for yet. 
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Hipster before Hipster was cool...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2016 at 9:17am
Originally posted by agentwhale007 agentwhale007 wrote:

See, the thing I don't understand is why the Clinton campaign has been framing their attacks against Trump as him being "dangerous," or him being crazy. I don't think he's crazy, or dangerous, or whatever. He's just a huckster. He's a carnival barker, a reality TV star who really, really likes people paying attention to him. 

Because they can't bring themselves to make the real comparison. Cracked.com and other less-stringent outlets are dead set on making Trump out to be the next Hitler. The reality is he's P.T. Barnum running for the presidency.

I totally agree that he'd be a do-nothing president. He'd let his cabinet and congress do their thing. I mean, that's the reality of it. He's a CEO, that's what CEOs do.
<Removed overly wide sig. Tsk, you know better.>
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum's Noam Chomsky

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agentwhale007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2016 at 9:49am
Originally posted by tallen702 tallen702 wrote:

Because they can't bring themselves to make the real comparison.  

That's 100% the right answer. In terms of authenticity, Clinton has little to offer that's much better than Trump. 
Benjichang View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2016 at 2:50pm
I'm just trying to still reconcile what's actually been happening, especially with the stuff about Manafort that has come out in the last few days. You can't make this stuff up.

It seems every day Trump does something that would have ruined any other candidate in any previous election... To think that Howard Dean got completely derailed for the "Dean Scream"... That's nothing compared to what we've seen so far.

I'd hate to be in Paul Ryan or McConnell's shoes right now. The GOP always talks about what the need to do to reinvent themselves after they lose. (At least the last two times I heard similar things being said)
It'll be really interesting to see what happens to the party after the election, especially if Trump goes down in flames as spectacularly as I'm hoping. Where do you go from here? I'm worried it sets a terrible precedent for the next independently wealthy megalomaniac out there who thinks they can spew fascist-lite rhetoric and win elections. 

I never was a fan of Hillary at all, but there's no way we can let this man take the reins. If I vote for her, it will not be gladly. Thanks Trump. You forced my hand here. Craziest election ever. 

irc.esper.net
#paintball
oldsoldier View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Crazy old guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2016 at 6:57pm
That is the point of this idiocy. This is the first election of the modern era where BOTH candidates are a 'no win' for the country. These polls are all over the map, the annonomous 'poll' where people are asked, with no names, these people state they feel safer saying they like Trump rather than Hillary, to the point that knowing if they put a Trump sticker on their bumper some Democrat will 'key' their car, or worse. The discourse and us v them attitude is over the top.

I am voting against Hillary and putting the 1st Predator back in the White House. Wish Johnson had 1/2 a chance as an alternative to this lunacy. We have a choice of a dysfunctional family, Hillary and Bill representing us to the world, and they know all about the 'Bill' issues. Or a wacked out NYC business type. Both have no idea how to address the issues we face, illegal immigration, secure immigration, the terror threat (Hillary and Obama don't even call it what it is for Christ's sake, and the vacuum they created pulling out US troops on a timetable created the JV Team of Terrorists), the economy, you name the problem, they don't have a clue, or solution only usual elect me promises ignored day one they take office.

This election really has no effect on me and mine as I am at the end of the 'run', my kids, grandkids, and most of you will feel the full force of this idiocy in your future, and best of luck to you.
Eville View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
More than 'evil' but not quite 'eviller'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2016 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by oldsoldier oldsoldier wrote:

the terror threat (Hillary and Obama don't even call it what it is for Christ's sake, and the vacuum they created pulling out US troops on a timetable created the JV Team of Terrorists)

I'd just like to point out that that timetable was signed by W. Bush and troops began pulling out before Obama was even inaugurated.  

Also, calling them something other than "islamic terrorists" hasn't stopped the current administration from firing more hell fires on suspected terrorists and he will likely have dropped more bombs than Bush did as well.  This fascination with using a specific, right-approved term for the "bad-guys" has always confused me.  No one complained when bush started the Global War on Terror rather than the Global War on Islamic Terror.  The only thing that will come out of "Islamic terror" is that it will be easier for simpletons to forget that there is a difference between Islamic extremists and regular old Islamic folks.  It will drive a wedge between American society and Muslim-Americans trying to assimilate into an unaccepting culture.  Then we will have the same issues and Belgium and France where they forced their Muslim populations out of the greater society until blowing themselves up in airports seemed like not such a bad idea anymore.  If that's what you want in the U.S., then by all means call it that.  However, if you don't care what they are called because you understand that Islam is not the problem and there's more at play than that, then just call them terrorists, or baddies, murder-jerks and go about your business.  
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 2:15am
At this point, all we can do is look at the qualifications. Who is better qualified for the job? It might suck, but that's what it's coming down to, IMO.

irc.esper.net
#paintball
tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Benjichang Benjichang wrote:

At this point, all we can do is look at the qualifications. Who is better qualified for the job? It might suck, but that's what it's coming down to, IMO.

Sooo, Johnson/Weld. Because that's who it comes down to on qualifications. They're the only duo that have any executive level political experience. It should be noted that they're also pretty well liked by folks on both sides.

Edited by tallen702 - 18 August 2016 at 7:47am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
I pwned Leroy Jenkins!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjichang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 1:14pm

Sooo, Johnson/Weld. Because that's who it comes down to on qualifications. They're the only duo that have any executive level political experience. It should be noted that they're also pretty well liked by folks on both sides.
Yeah, but what's their shot of actually winning?

irc.esper.net
#paintball
Reb Cpl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Has to say "yes" to "are you a cop?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reb Cpl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2016 at 9:20pm
Forget who wins in November- with egos this big, think of how epic the concession speech will be.

?

tallen702 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tallen702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2016 at 7:29am

Yeah, but what's their shot of actually winning?

Pretty good if people would get their collective heads out of their collective butts and quit with the "oh, well, I want my vote to matter" bull-crap.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 24>
  Share Topic