Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Gun Maintenace and Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to disassemble the 98 custom.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member
Really rides a tricycle ... no, really!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to disassemble the 98 custom.
    Posted: 17 February 2004 at 3:52pm
Well, I got permission from a mod to sticky this, and I think it's a fairly good information source, so here it is.

How to disassemble the 98 custom.

Note: If necessary, put all small parts somewhere where they won’t get lost.

Things you will need:
1. 3/16" allen wrench for ammo box bolt
2. 1/8" allen wrench for receiver bolts
3. 5/64" allen wrench for grip bolts
4. 5/32" allen wrench for velocity screw
5. Plastic bag (not an essential, but it can be of great help)

WARNING!: Make sure your marker is degassed before you disassemble it.

1.   Find a good place to do this so that you have a minimal chance of losing anything, and lay the right receiver half (the one that doesn’t say “98 custom”) facing the ground.
2.   Make sure that your marker is degassed first, or else you’ll have an unwanted surprise when you separate the receiver halves.
3.   It will be easier to do this if you remove your tank, and hopper. If the hopper is stuck, use a 3/16" allen wrench to loosen the ammo box bolt (elbow bolt).
NOTE: I recommend that you keep the elbow latched so you don't lose the front sight spring.
4.   Loosen the ASA screws with a 1/8" allen wrench. If you remove them, put them somewhere were they won’t easily be lost.
5.   Unscrew the 6 screws from the receiver halves with a 1/8" allen wrench, and put them somewhere where they won’ easily be lost.
6.   Make sure the front velocity screw is screw in enough that it doesn’t interfere with the receiver halves coming apart.
7. If you have grips that wrap around the receiver halves, take the grip bolts out with a 5/64" allen wrench so that it doesn’t interfere with the receiver halves separating.

Note: Before you take the 98c apart, you could put it in a big plastic bag and disassemble it (see step 8) to prevent losing small parts. I believe that KRL15 is the one who came up with that.

8. Take the little rubber piece off of the cocking knob, and make sure the marker is decocked to prevent flying parts.
9. As you pull the receiver halves apart make sure the end cap isn’t attached to the receiver halve facing you, or else the end cap, drive spring, and guide pin may pop out.
10. If the sear, sear spring, and sear pins are on the left receiver half instead of the right, put in them in a safe place, and refer to the picture below for future reference on how to put them back in (ignore the response trigger).

11. Wipe all of the oil off of the gun with a paper towel.
(It is highly recommended that so use hoppes 9 or similar oil. Don't used wd-40 or other water-based lubricants)
12. Put a few drops of oil on the rear bolt and rub it around with your fingers.
13. Put a little bit of oil in the sear area.
14. Put a few drops of oil where the linkage arm goes.
15. Put a few drops of oil on the drive spring and guidance pin.
16. Before reassembling the 98c, make sure the ASA screws aren't in their square bolts; this will make it easier to put the receiver halves back together.

If you have more problems putting the 98c back together, refer to this page, or your owner’s manual:
http://www.tippmann.com/support/98customparts.asp

This pic, supplied by Choopie911 is also very useful:

If you don’t have an owner’s manual, call Tippmann at: 1-800-533-4831; they should send you one for free.

Edited by BMXer
FeudSim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FeudSim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2004 at 8:41pm
Since this looks like a nice little help thread, I have a question for someone. Is there some kind of trick to fitting the left reciever onto the right one? I have everything assembled in the right half, but I can never fit the two pieces together in under 10 minutes. It seems as though the problem is in the trigger assembly. A very frustrating problem and it seems as though many people don't have this problem...
I want a gun that gives me more thrust per squeeze. Any ideas?
I am the first person ever who owns an individualistic hat!!
BMXer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2004 at 8:01am
There's not realy a trick; you just have to have everything put on right. Do you lay one end of the receiver half down before the other? Make sure you lay the receiver half down evenly, so that the pins in the trigger assembly go straight in the their holes. Check to see if there's anything stuck in the holes that the pins should go in. How many times have you taken your 98c apart? Sometimes a lack of experience in putting the 98c back together is the problmem; I had prblems putting my 98c together when I first took it apart.
RobertPulson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobertPulson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2004 at 1:26am

Yea I would add the bolts on the bottom of the grip is tricky (least it was for me the first time) where gas line runs.  It can make the grip not want to close all the way.  If you unscrew the bolts from the nuts ... then set each of the two nuts in the slots (if they came out) ... it is VERY easy to align the two halfs together.  Then after the two halves are together, you rescrew the gas line in and tighten it to the bottom of the grip the same as you tighten the reciever bolts.  This is where I found a slight problem when I first put my c98 together.  It's very easy now ... hope it makes sense to the newbies (I'm a bit new myself) ... if not BMXer may be able to word it better.

BjG

BMXer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2004 at 8:31am
Yeah, I'll add tha when I have time.
¤ Råp¡Ð F¡rè ¤ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
This title is just way too old

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ¤ Råp¡Ð F¡rè ¤ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2004 at 1:03am
If anyone wants directions from KRL on how to take your gun apart and clean it, PM me. I have it saved on my computer. It is also posted in the "Uber FAQ" in the New Players Forum(first page by me).
BMXer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2004 at 6:52am
Thanks.

Yeah, I've learned that by experience.
cougarelite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cougarelite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2004 at 5:04pm

Thanks a lot for the post BMXer! I printed it off and used it to disassemble my marker. Everything went well. There is one thing to look out for though:

If you take the gun apart while it is cocked, don't pull the trigger. I did this and my ball latch went flying and I am still trying to find it.

Thanks again.

Tippmann 98 Custom Black
12" Lapco Bigshot
16 oz co2

BMXer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2004 at 8:15am
I really glad that it helped you. Sorry you lost your ball latch; I'll add that up there.

BTW, maybe you should have put it in a plastic bag.

Edited by BMXer
hockeypntbllr View Drop Down
Strike 1 (cussin) (C14)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hockeypntbllr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2004 at 9:25pm
THIS HELPS ALOT THANX BMXer
lmfmike3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lmfmike3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2004 at 9:16am
BMXer i have one question, after you do this are you ready to go out and paintball?
BMXer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2004 at 2:16pm
^^ Yes.

If anyone doesn't know what something means, or needs help disassembling the 98c, pm me, or drop me a line at Daniel131@pbreview.com, and I'll be more than happy to help you.
worldindsk8r View Drop Down
Unpronouncableable

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote worldindsk8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2004 at 11:23pm

BMXer... instead of ^^^, u can use ¨£ ¨£ ¨£, it is holdALT,press24let-go

EDIT:it never works.u cant put anything after it.... boo hoo... ¡è¡×¡è¡×¡è

EDIT: ↑♀

Edited by worldindsk8r
today is a gift... thats why its called the present!!! so treat it good and play some paintball.
p b n00bie13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p b n00bie13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2004 at 9:22pm

i dont really want to take mine apart by myself because im not organized and would loose alot of peices and im gettin a r/t and a d/t where could i go to where someone could take and put the gun back together for me?

BMXer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2004 at 2:19pm
Try your local paintball shop.
*FMJ*SteViE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *FMJ*SteViE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2004 at 9:38am

Good thread fellas....glad to see so many people helping others out

You learn something new everyday....that's good advice

*Full Metal Jacket*
*FMJ*--ALL DAY, EVERYDAY
ctippA5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctippA5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2004 at 1:19pm

my friends 98c seems to be leaking around the CVX valve right underneath the power tube...i think its the seal should i just loosen the gas line,,, clean up the threads and re-seal it?

BMXer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2004 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by ctippA5 ctippA5 wrote:

my friends 98c seems to be leaking around the CVX valve right underneath the power tube...i think its the seal should i just loosen the gas line,,, clean up the threads and re-seal it?

Yeah, that would be the thing to do, but next time you, or anyone else has a question like this, please do not ask it in this thread. There are many people on this forum who are way smarter than I am, so you'd probably get a better answer if you made a new topic about it.
ctippA5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctippA5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2004 at 1:30pm

sorry bout it but thanks

BMXer View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMXer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2004 at 1:42pm
No problem, we all make mistakes, and we should all learn from them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic