Tippmann Paintball Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Paintball Equipment > Upgrades and Customizing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Safety Warning / CO2 Tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety Warning / CO2 Tanks
    Posted: 26 March 2004 at 3:15pm
This needs to be in the Upgrades and Customizing, because the Consumer Products Commission determined that a primary cause of the valve coming loose may be an improper anti-siphon install.

CPSC Issues New Safety Warning for Paintball Guns

"It is critical that the valve be re- installed with the appropriate adhesive and the proper torque."

BTW, Thanks, but "KirkWade" Gets the credit for the Link.
Please read, and tell everyone you know.

Edited by Kevin Z
United States Marine Corps....   When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight!

Just say NO to junk mods
corgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 3:32pm
WOW...
A-5
E-Grip
Flatline
Silencer
Car Stock
Coiled Remote
Dye Boomstick
Double Trigger
Palmer Stabilizer
Polished Internals
Laser Sight w/ Remote
20 oz. Tank w/ Anit-Siphon
Large Unit View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Not really, but it looks good as a name

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Large Unit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 3:54pm

Good job Kevin, It is good for anyone about to get an anti siphon to read this! In fact, when I got an anti siphon installed in my tank it was unscrewing from the valve!! I took it off the gun with a wrench (which I don't recomend anyone does, just take it right to your pro shop) and took it to a pro shop.

I think this should be stickeyed for anyone to put a siphon tube in their tank to see.

Edited by Large Unit
red_alert102 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote red_alert102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 4:06pm
yea good job with this post get the word out and i saw it on the news to.  I heard two people died it is very sad.
rmorey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Made it by a Hair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 5:06pm
I must admit... I thought this was another rumor (good job, Kevin!!!)
You are never beaten until you admit it.
- G. Patton
AlmightyBG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmightyBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 5:57pm
i was just going to get one tomorrow
DemonPaintball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DemonPaintball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 6:59pm
That's sad that the people died, and how it's unsafe, but how uncareful must these people have been?! this recently happened to me, over at my good friends house, we  had finished testing my flatline, and as I went to take off my tank, I noticed ( very obviously I might add) that the copper part was not turning, so when I noticed,( It was very hard to miss Co2 was flying everywhere...) I let it leak all the way out, then took it to my local proshop, problem solved, no more issues with the tanks.
When I howl, the world shatters.
When I hunt, the world is over.
And your next...
Txvman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txvman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Kevin Z Kevin Z wrote:

Consumer Products Commission determined that the primary cause of the valve coming loose was an improper anti-siphon install.

Even thou I agree that this is the most likely reason, you are misquoting the article. Correct quotes are very important especially when posting to a public forum. With what’s going on with paintball accidents at this time someone may pass that misquote on to other less knowledge people, like moms and dads that don't know paintball. This is NOT a dis or a flame.

Originally posted by CPSC CPSC wrote:

Even though our investigation is not complete, we believe it is urgent to provide this new safety message about the valve detaching from the canister while unscrewing it from the paintball gun.”

CPSC also recommends that people make sure that any modifications to the paintball gun or the CO2 canister are done properly. For example, installing anti-siphon tubes involves removing and re- installing the canister valve.

Edited by Txvman
teabag_joe View Drop Down
<krl> my <poopy>, baby!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teabag_joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 11:39pm

Great post. Due to the fact that a mother was killed not long ago cause of a tank valve coming off the tank and hitting her in the back of the head. Sad and now that the word is out it can stop from trgedyies like this happening again. TWO THUMBS WAY UP THERE.

Teabag_joe

TippyManic32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TippyManic32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2004 at 11:48pm
I'll stick with my nitro, but i feel sad for those two people
Kevin Z View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2004 at 12:53am
Originally posted by TippyManic32 TippyManic32 wrote:

I'll stick with my nitro, but i feel sad for those two people

OOOOOOHHHHHHH baby, unscrew the valve off a 4000 PSI nitro tank and it will take someones head off in the next county. not just the next table.

I think you should take the same precaution.
United States Marine Corps....   When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight!

Just say NO to junk mods
hatemeplease View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatemeplease Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2004 at 8:22am
tears wah
SpYdErOwNeR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpYdErOwNeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2004 at 5:10pm
i just installed 2 anti siphons on both my 20's. i
used blue loctite on one. i just tightened it a lot, my
torque wrench doesnt fit on smart parts valves. and i
used red loctite on the other one. the blue one held
up fine. i didnt get the one with the red loctite filled
yet. i sopposed it will be fine. red loctite is pretty
strong stuff
AIM: CHSpaintball540
Vigilante212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vigilante212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2004 at 10:10pm
Yea you should have used high strength loctite(red) for both of them.

Happy to help the less fortunate

For a price
Ashran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2004 at 5:18pm
Holy crap, that's for people taking shortcuts, that'd be sweet if they were brass eagle tanks so they had to god out of business or something ;)
2k4 Viking
SCM, MM
JMJ roller trigger
WAS 1.6 WAS eyes, WAS switch
Dye Minidrop
CP on/off
Kristofer View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Good Sport. Semper Fi!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2004 at 5:38pm
this doesnt have to do with anti-siphon, but can the parts come apart on nitro tanks too?
JBird33 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Rico’s <KRL>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBird33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2004 at 8:02pm

Originally posted by Kristofer Kristofer wrote:

this doesnt have to do with anti-siphon, but can the parts come apart on nitro tanks too?

It has a regulator on the tank, just like a CO2 tank does, so yes. However, there is no reason to take apart an HPA tank for something like an anti-siphon, as it would serve no purpose. The only reason one would have to take the reg off of an HPA tank that I can think of is to replace the internal O-ring. But, to answer your question, it still could happen. It would be a lot more purposeful, and a much larger mistake to do it, but it is still plausible.

Edited by JBird33
Whazuuup! View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Non-believer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whazuuup! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2004 at 2:48pm

When installing an anti-siphon tank, you have to take the valve off. Reinstallation of the valve is the part that you would be most likely to mess up and that would result in a big time safety hazard!

So what is the proper torque that you are supposed to put on the valve? I didn't see it there.

skeltonjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeltonjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2004 at 3:51pm
you really have to be careful about what you do with or to your tanks ive had a few 12grams blow up in my face when i was using my Zeus Pistol and the valve exploded on one of my 20oz that i used to my A-5 you really cant be too careful
Tippmann A-5
Flatline Barrel
Teflon Powertube and Venturi Bolt
MP5 Style Strap
Sten Gun Handle
Double Trigger
Scope
Ashran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2004 at 6:45pm
Doesn't HPA tnaks have a pin even b4 the reg?
2k4 Viking
SCM, MM
JMJ roller trigger
WAS 1.6 WAS eyes, WAS switch
Dye Minidrop
CP on/off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic